Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need modern decorating ideas with a punch of color
hdsears1
January 27, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Our tv wall is the focus wall, so I need decorating ideas that are modern with incorporating some color in there(photo collage, shelving,etc. Our walls are a taupe/grey and living room/kitchen is all open. I also dont know what color of curtains to put in our dining room along with the marimekko fabric
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Renita Gibson
Have you ever thought of an accent wall? For instance paint it another color,or place some wall art up there.
1 Like   January 27, 2013 at 8:10PM
gillianlf
All your ideas would work. The biggest issue I see with this space is the furniture arrangement. Is your husband the only one who watches TV? I would float the sofa facing the TV and put the recliner off to the side where the sofa currently is.

For the curtains, keep it neutral: white, chocolate, or even a blue grey could work (see glass door on opposite side of the room). You have a beautiful space and very nice taste. Good luck.
4 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 8:34PM
collettec
I would consider treating the television wall and the television itself as part of an art grouping with black and white prints surrounding the television so that the television just blends in as part of the grouping. For drapes for the living room and dining area, would go with a print and like the orange in your dining room art so that might be one possibility of something to look for For the drapes in the living room and dining area, would go with either the same drapes or similar and something that would coordinate with each other. Could add color and pattern in other decor, eg pillows, throws, dining table decor and decor on the console table under the tv.
2 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 8:46PM
Melissa Sigman
Interesting layout...that living room could be absolutely stunning if changed up a little. I think a traditional accent wall, one wall with a pop of color would be overwhelming in there. But, if the wall the TV is on was about 3 shades darker than it is now, it could look fantastic. I'd also put a Much taller piece under your Tv and move the TV up about 2 feet higher. About even with the bottom of the vent. Is that a vent? Too bad that's difficult to change... You could put the sofa directly across from the TV, facing the window is a little odd. Scoot the chair up a few feet. Moving the sofa will separate the living room and dining room, then put a sofa table or similar piece (some even have storage) behind the sofa so the back of it isn't the focus. You could do curtains with quite a few panels, and go with the darker color that wall will be painted (if you choose to paint it a few shades darker) and white as well. There's a section on here for curtains and a lot of them are hung beautifully. On top of that new sofa table, you would need to pick One main color to do accents in (I like turquoise, deep purples, blues...a lot of people like yellow right now...) and put a few little pieces there, plants (real or fake) are great, decorative stand up plates, candle holders with that color candle are good...and then find some pictures with that One color and whites and grays in it and hang those appropriately on the same wall with the TV.
That's what I'd do. Good luck! Beautiful House!
2 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 8:51PM
PRO
slaah
Light Creem clour paints will be matching with your ferntcure clour
1 Like   January 27, 2013 at 8:57PM
hdsears1
One reason we have the sofa where it is, bc we wanted an open flow from the living room to the kitchen area. We have a 6 mo old and 2 yr old so have to be careful what decor we put up. We hesitated on curtains bc there is crown moulding framing the windows, so curtains would cover that up(but we could put them just on the ends maybe??? Our 55" tv is wall mounted, so it would be hard to move, and we just purchased this modern enterainment center, so it has to stay. I eventually want a white leather sectional. I need Nate Berkus now!!!!!!!
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 9:05PM
PRO
LB Interiors
I agree with emcz and Melissa. with furniture placement. Maybe set up a child's table and chairs set for the little ones on the right wall. Maybe a large toy chest or unit with pull out baskets.

Bookcases around the TV for storage and fill wall space, Add to the entertainment piece that you already have. You could choose brown, black or white.
Parker House Premier Alpine 4 Piece Premier Wall
BILLY Bookcase combination with TV bench Storage
1 Like   January 27, 2013 at 11:53PM
Jennifer Hogan
Simple inexpensive idea - paint a rectangle on the wall behind the TV area a deep brown to bring the color of the hardwood floor into the family room area. Add some simple white shelves with red accent pieces. Add a few red pillows to the couch and a red centerpiece on the table.
7 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 12:53AM
Jennifer Hogan
You could paint the entire wall the dark brown still keeping the shelves around the TV .
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 1:00AM
hdsears1
Jennifer- I LOVE the idea of painting the square. I've attached some pics since I moved the furniture around. I dont have alot of room inbetween the island and the couch(where the hardwood starts) and the carpet starts, and this somewhat cuts off the flow of the living room/kitcehen having the furniture this way. This is a new house, and there is so much crown moulding around the 3 windows in the living room, we dont know if curtains would cover that up. Would it look ok if we just had a curtain on each end, leaving the middle window bare? Would a dark metallic work for curtains, or should we keep it a white with metallic in it maybe?
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 9:47AM
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
For the large window I would recommend chocolate brown Drapery on a decorative rod just framing windows for the small windows I would recommend a Roman valance.
http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/drapery-toronto/panels/grommet-drapery.html
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 10:28AM
Shifa Ibrahim
Hey, I think jenifer has a good idea plus if you want the flow of the living area to be intact, you can use the texture of the floor to Demark the different areas. Also you can add floor lamps to split the sections.

On the tv wall you can also split the wall in sections, tv section, photo section or shelve it on one side which you utilize the space. You can even think of coloring the wall 3/4 in one color and 1/4 in another color giving u clear sections you can create the feeling of two spaces in one open area.

Since u have neutrals for ur furniture, you can work with colors such as burnt orange or rust or even red.

Hope this helps....
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 10:39AM
hdsears1
Oh those are 3 seperate windows in the living room.
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 11:20AM
Jennifer Hogan
You mentioned specifically wanting a punch of color. I suggested Red because I saw you had a red wall hanging and red on the tea towel - assumed that would be your punch color.

Your home is beautiful, but you are drowning in the sea of neutral that is so popular. I would get the brown painted and find the color punch pieces first before moving to the next step.

Windows are okay without curtains for the moment. Once you have picked some pictures and pieces with your punch color and determined how you are incorporating those items you can decide what still needs to be added to give you the look that is your dream.

If you want to stay very modern, I would go with interior mount roman blinds or top down/ bottom up shades.
4 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 12:03PM
PRO
LB Interiors
I agree with Jennifer. I love color, fabrics, patterns and textures. Must have solids also. Keep an open mind to try "out of the ordinary". That's what differentiates each of us!

I'm surprised that everyone gets on the same bandwaggon. Meaning, current trends are great and exciting, but if everyone does it, then everyone's home looks the same.

Ex: seems to be the must haves are - stainless steel appliances, gray or greige walls or "espresso" and black furniture. Don't get me wrong, I like those choices also, but there are thousands of other options, It does take guts to go for what you really like.

Don't be afraid of the world of choices for us all! I'm a designer that keeps my vision and emotions wide open!
4 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 1:30PM
Jennifer Hogan
I am always reminding people that they don't live in a magazine. We live in our homes and our homes reflect our personality. Look in your closet and if it is all neutral your home should follow today's trend.

I was told to remove all the pink undertoned tile from my house by several designers, but when I looked around my home and my closet virtually every neutral I own is taupe, not tan. I also have a lot of purple and teals and reds. Kept my tile and painted my house two tones of taupe and deep red with muted teal greens in my bathroom and bedrooms.

My sister built a new home and told the designer that the builder used that she loves green - the only green in the design was the accent pillows on the couch. It was a sea of neutral. I helped her and we picked a moss green for several of the rooms, a deep brown orange for one room and she got sage green carpet. Picked brighter colors for the kids bedrooms and bathroom upstairs.
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 2:13PM
PRO
slaah
All the cloures carpets walls fernture same clour you should have to made some defrent degees in the cloures like your clour its better to pout the chier infront tv ,therir is so maney thing should prepaerd or to kept inside or to be removed
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 9:15PM
hdsears1
We are very limited on furniture placement since our 2 yr old drags out toys and runs from her roomv to the living room. Once the kids things are gone that frees up more room. But I'm mainly asking about the walls/curtains/decor. Prob is I get sick of one color in about a year so I like to change it up, therefore I can't spend a ton of $. So far I'm thinking navy with bright yellow maybe
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 5:46AM
hdsears1
what do you mean by rosery? What colors might those be? With my marimekko wall art in the dining room I've been thinking of doing a navy and orange, or navy and bright yellow combo?
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 2:09PM
PRO
slaah
Light Rosery paints in the walls with dark rosery curtains clour this make you thinking about your lovley nights
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 8:21PM
PRO
slaah
Nevey clour with light yalow is not matching to gether iprefer you pink clour
1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 9:42PM
Jayme H.
It appears to say, "Navy color with light yellow is not matching together, I prefer your pink color"...Probably just a translation issue...Keep participating Slaah!
1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 10:32PM
Jayme H.
Slaah is Sudanese.
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 10:35PM
PRO
LB Interiors
The comment from Jayme is what I felt also. You'll get there. I can read between the lines and words and get the idea. It's okay. A couple lettlers are out of kilter, but I read it slowly.
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 11:12PM
Susanna
I like the navy and orange combination. I think that would be beautiful.
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 11:35PM
PRO
slaah
If you lik orang and Nevey plese pent it lik zebra skin clour it will be some thing defrent fine attractive 'new design idea
1 Like   January 30, 2013 at 4:59AM
PRO
slaah
Jayme hobbs yes i am sudanes would yuo like soudanes designe or not i think imade you stonished
1 Like   January 30, 2013 at 5:05AM
Jayme H.
Welcome Slaah: I have not seen anyone from the Sudan on Houzz until now.
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 5:33AM
PRO
slaah
Jaymehobbs/i will be the firest one in houzz and i will be agood Fred of you ifyou dont mind
1 Like   January 30, 2013 at 8:32AM
PRO
LB Interiors
Thanks to Jayne Bunch, Jayme, Jennifer and Susanna
1 Like   February 6, 2013 at 7:51PM
PRO
slaah
Jayme / Thank you very mutch
0 Likes   February 6, 2013 at 9:06PM
Susanna
I came back to tell you that I pinned some items for you on a Pinterest board. You mentioned navy and orange and Nate Berkus. I just moved into a new house so, as I was searching for a few things for myself, I pinned a few for you.

Maybe some will interest you. Not suggesting all of it as a room design, but rather a cache of possibilities. Pinterest.....Susanna Artistea....marimekko match. On the very bottom of the boards. Hope it helps!
0 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 5:42PM
hdsears1
Thanks Susanna- I cant find your board when I type in your name
0 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 8:45PM
Susanna
Were you able to see it?
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 12:37AM
cohoek
Hi, if I were you I would paint a part of the wall behind the TV bright orange! Your orange beanbag/fatboy already gave a clue how stunning this would look. I would paint a banner of orange not the whole wall. Than some orange accessories around the room....
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 2:51AM
hdsears1
Yes. Thank you so much! I like the curtains. Just wush they were the reverse of the navy/white. I like the pillows and the owl. I may do yellow instead of orange I think
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 6:33AM
Susanna
Ok good. I'm glad it helped. You might find a reverse of the curtains but it would take some time online. Etsy had a gazillion yellow pillows. Everyone seems to be doing yellow and gray these days, so lots of options! Good luck! http://pinterest.com/artistea/marimekko-match/
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 6:52AM
Valvorie Dunn
This is fun listening to everyone with young, fresh ideas. I am an "older" traditionalist but I appreciate all design styles. I like the idea of the square painted on the wall. It's always good to really see what you have to work with & what you can change for the least amount of money. Especially for young families. Always remember you can have a beautiful home even with young children. Put out a "few" pretties within reach & teach them not to touch. They will grow up to appreciate beauty & you'll be able to take them to other people's homes without "fear." I keep my 14 month old grandbaby five days a week & have never moved anything for her or her mom when she was growing up. Enough of unsolicited advice...not sure where that came from. I think you have a beautiful home & you will eventually find your way with it. Don't be in a rush & look at lots & lots of pictures & vignettes to find your style. Good luck.
1 Like   February 10, 2013 at 12:30PM
hdsears1
Thanks Val! We have a 6 mo. old and 2 1/2 yr old, so definitely little curious fingers! I think I've decided to do the big square and then do a geometrical either navy wallpaper design on both sides, or paint with a stencil on the sides, and put up white scattered shelving like Jennifer Hogan had posted. Also doing navy curtains with maybe a soft metallic design in them, nothing too obnoxious w/ the curtains and have some bold contemporary pillows and decor. Pillow covers are a cheap way to change colors/designs. Its a brand new house, just no time to decorate it and make it home with having little ones to watch daily.
2 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 12:55PM
PRO
slaah
Iwish that to do big squre in navy cloure,with maney defrent smale squre size inside it in defrant degree navy cloure
0 Likes   February 10, 2013 at 8:57PM
hdsears1
So I have ordered navy silk curtains for the living and dining room, and need advice on whether to do the focal wall in living room all with navy grass cloth, or just the outsides of the tv and doing from ceiling to bottom in the middle modern sculptured wall tiles and paint them navy. Putting white shelvinb where the grass cloth would be. Or should I do grass cloth in the middle and sculptured tiles on the sides, or just grass cloth completely over the whole wall? HELP.....so many options
Here is an example of the wall texture tiles:Contemporary Family Room design by Tampa Interior Designer Paul Anater
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 7:34PM
hdsears1
Here's a pic of the grass cloth I like: Would you do some grasscloth, some wall texture tiles, or just one or the other? Along w/ the white shelving?
Traditional Entry design by Newark General Contractor Michael Robert Construction
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 7:36PM