Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Suggestions for bathroom
tdstonge
January 27, 2013 in Design Dilemma
This is a reproduction piece that belonged to parents and I would like to turn it into a vanity for my small bathroom. Any suggestions for tile and wall colour to go with this piece. i think the top part can come off and i could get a piece of granite for the top. Should \i change the hardware?It's brass.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
TanCalGal
Here's a tasteful bathroom. I'd leave the brass.
January 31, 2013 at 8:42PM   
tdstonge
Thanks, that bathroom is very nice, and the vanity looks to be very similar in colour. The only thing is I just remodeled my upstairs bathroom in similar colours, and was hoping for something different.
February 1, 2013 at 3:38AM   
TanCalGal
Look through these vintage-vanity bathrooms. I didn't see anything else I liked, maybe U will. BTW it is OK to use the same materials in a few bathrooms. http://www.houzz.com/photos/bath/vintage-vanities-
February 1, 2013 at 11:07AM   
tdstonge
I was thinking of keeping the brass, but what would I use for the faucets and shower fixtures
February 1, 2013 at 5:15PM   
Denice Shuty
Yes remove the hardware - it isn't doing the piece any favors. Also, the examples in the images above are refined, French or Italianate cabinets and yours is heftier, and more American Colonial in its styling, so I wouldn't even compare them to yours.
February 1, 2013 at 5:49PM   
tdstonge
I agree, those pieces are way too fancy for my tastes. Do you have any suggestions for tile and countertops?
February 1, 2013 at 6:01PM   
Denice Shuty
What does the bathroom look like, can you take a photo? What stays and what goes? Are you handy, or do you have a reasonable budget? What's your style, if those other images are too fancy?
February 1, 2013 at 8:53PM   
tdstonge
The bathroom is very tiny and everything will be removed. I will be using porceline for the floor and tub surround and am hoping to do some of it myself. I'm considering a whirlpool tub but not sure if it's worth the added expense. I would like to keep my costs down as i am currently renovating my other bathroom. So not ready to start it yet. I just want some ideas.
February 1, 2013 at 9:37PM   
Brenda Fisher
We did something similar. The doors on this unit would severely limit usable space after a drop in sink is added. It also looks narrow for a drop in. Consider instead a vessel sink. If height is a problem I think the bottom portion of cabinet could be cut down. I like the wood top but not the curves. If you do a vessel sink consider cutting the swirls off the top and lining it with quartz. The brass can stay if you use other metals in the room. Oil rubbed bronze or antiqued bronze. Jet tubs are a must if you are doing your own renos but put it in the bathroom that you will use most. We did a similar look and took the tile floor up the shower wall with narrower grout lines. More of a transitional look.
February 3, 2013 at 2:14AM