Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need artistic advice about stained glass mosaics on kitchen cabinet
pud07
January 27, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I designed a stained glass pattern and did mosaics on each cabinet end that faces the sink. I then painted the end of another exposed cabinet end, but feel its not right. Counter tops are black pearl granite and I'm thinking I'll do more stained glass on the painted end just using black glass only. I can cut glass to any size or shape. Should I do a subway tile pattern , herringbone , brick ? What would look the best on the end of this cabinet that is now painted black? (blue tape is still on in this pic) Unusual.....I know lol
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
pud07
I guess this one must be too far out of the box for help. Guess I'm on my own with this one lol.
January 28, 2013 at 8:21am   
pagonian
Is there a light that can be lit behind the mosaic?
January 28, 2013 at 8:24am     
groveraxle
No, no, not too far out of the box. I'm not sure how some discussions get missed, but this one obviously did. Plus, it requires a bit of thought instead of a standard, by-the-rules solution.

I love the mosaic on the cabinet ends. Why not do the same pattern on the base cabinet? Increase the scale to compensate for the larger size. Or if you think that would be too much, just do repeating diamonds to coordinate with the upper designs.
January 28, 2013 at 8:30am   
lisabarnett67
I'm no expert, but I think the mosaic colors are too dark, it's too much of a contrast with the stain of the wood cabines. I agree that light behind the mosaic would mimic the look of an actual stained glass window, but not sure if it's possible. I think the current stain of your cabinets has too much yellow in it to match the dark colors of your mosaic. Have you considered sanding and staining the cabinets a darker tone? Or would it make the whole kitchen look too dark?
January 28, 2013 at 8:36am   
pud07
Wow thanks everybody. I'm pleasantly surprised and grateful for input :-). The cabinets are light but the countertops are black pearl granite and the glass ties into the granite....(I hope) lol
Great idea to do diamond pattern on cabinet end, even if I just do black without adding the browns and play it down a bit. I can always darken the cabinets later if needed .
January 28, 2013 at 10:11am   
pagonian
Could you simply place a light behind the mosaic? It would lighten the effect having to avoid touching your cabinets
January 28, 2013 at 9:32pm   
pud07
I can't place light behind it because it's attached to the cabinet itself.
January 31, 2013 at 6:54pm   
samsamyd
Before you put stained glass down below hip height.... any small children in the house? any pets? ... Children would be the safety concern; pets would be a cleaning concern (doggie nose prints). Can't help myself; pent up "Mom" thinking....

As to lighting it... if you're happy without light fine. Else there are options such as battery operated LED lights. or really thin LED light tapes.
February 9, 2014 at 5:22pm   
More Discussions
Suggestions on Curb appeal/ garage or carport?
Curious what recommendations you all have for curb...
Help! I need help landscaping around pool
We have a really small backyard and I am going for...
Need privacy screen for toilet
These are more pictures of a Master Bedroom/Bath in...
Your favorite home of all time?
What's your favorite home that you have ever lived...
Do you have a dedicated craft room?
Curious to see if people have a dedicated craft or...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.