powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Help with granite choice - Jurapana Persa or Yellow River with Cherry Cabinets?
MsMaryMac
January 27, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Yipee! Finally remodeling my 80's kitchen. Out with the oak and in with cherry. I'm working with a very tight budget but because my kitchen is pretty small I think I'll be able to stay within my allotted $15K budget. I have my cabinets selected (Cherry Arch), but just need help with the granite selection. DH and I are down to the final two. His favorite is Yellow River. While I on the other hand, prefer Jurapana Persa. I'm happy to say that we both agree these are our Top 2. I'm including pictures of my kitchen along with my family room since they are opened to each other. I would love to see anyone that has the same dark color cabinets, or similar to mine with Jurapana Persa and Yellow River? The last photo is Jurapana Persa with my Cherry Arch cabinet. Thanks for the help!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Oakwood Veneer
The cherry cabinets are very nice.
January 28, 2013 at 7:18am   
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
Before you jump into ordering your countertops, I'd like you to give serious consideration to making your countertops all one level. You now have a raised bar area, but with no overhang. Perhaps there's no space for adding another 12" to create a bar overhang. But even if there isn't, the whole kitchen and living area will feel much more open and larger if you lower that raised portion to the same level (36") as the rest of the countertops.

I prefer the granite that is shown in the big slab. It's lovely with your cabinets.
January 28, 2013 at 7:33am   
PRO
As you can see in the photo above, a single level countertop will give you a big space in which to lay out food for a buffet. Think Super Bowl!
January 28, 2013 at 7:34am   
MsMaryMac
Hi Carolyn, thanks for your response. The existing overhang is only 9" and I have plans to extend it an extra 3", making it 12" total. I like the idea of having a single level counter top but I also like the fact that the overhang conceals my dirty dishes when I'm in the family room. I could definitely use more counter space though. How wide should an overhang be to be considered functional? Also. How wide should the walkway be to accommodate it so that it doesn't appear to take up the whole room?
January 28, 2013 at 10:25pm   
Joe
Single counter-tops are always better looking, Get a dishwasher(if you don't already own one), it helps keep the kitchen neater with much less effort. Then the dirty dishes wont prevent your kitchen from looking Fabulous
January 28, 2013 at 10:43pm   
PRO
The 6" of raised countertop will only hide dirty dishes from your very short friends. And if they are there, they're probably the ones who helped dirty the dishes, having enjoyed your fine cooking.

You should have 36" for traffic between the edge of the countertop and other furniture. I recommend small counter height stools with no back. They will help you avoid visual clutter and will not stick out much beyond your overhang.
January 29, 2013 at 4:00am   
peetsoo
I have a kitchen very similar to yours and had to decide before putting in our hardwood whether or not to change our penninsula. Changing out the cabinets or turning the penninsula into an island were not in my budget at this time so decided to keep it as is (I will redo the cabinets, counter and backsplash down the road when I can afford it). I too like that it hides some of the kitchen clutter. Not sure if you will like how I finished ours but wanted to show it to you in case you did. By building an eating bar out of the oak it kind of lets the kitchen blend a bit with the family room and makes the wall not seem so prominent. We also put some home made moldings on the wall and painted them out to soften it a bit. Ideally I would have backless stools so the next ones will likely not have backs . I moved on in the pic so you could see the wall better. Good luck with whatever you decide to do............
January 29, 2013 at 4:25am   
peetsoo
and here is s shot of what is above.....eventually will change out the pendants when it's time to do the kitchen...............
January 29, 2013 at 4:31am   
PRO
Reico Kitchen & Bath
Love the Jurapana Persa - it is a nice compliment and offers great color variation at the same time. Please share pictures once you are done!
January 29, 2013 at 4:37am   
yfuoco
Love the Jurapana Persa! I think it will provide you with greater flexibility down the road.
January 29, 2013 at 5:19am   
lfaulkenbery
Jurapana Persa is my favorite.
January 29, 2013 at 11:24am   
navyfarr1984
Jurapana Persa looks really good and contrasts well. It also won't make the kitchen seem so dark with those dark cabinets. I also recommend haveing the bar height counter for a breakfast bar or whatever but other than that good choice.
January 29, 2013 at 11:41am