Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Kitchen reno in Richmond, BC
karenhak
January 27, 2013 in Before & After
Our 28yr old cooktop was failing rapidly. Because it had an integral downdraft fan, we had to replace that too. Since new fans have a smaller footprint, we had to replace our tile countertop. And since we were doing all of that, we decided to update the cupboard doors and drawer fronts on our existing cabinetry.

We purchased an electric Viking cooktop and Braun downdraft fan (and external blower) because of the easy to use dials. It was too much of a construction challenge to bring in gas or to install an overhead hood fan. The most difficult part of this project was finding someone to install these appliances.

We chose wide plank maple countertops, built by Culinary Hardwoods. Most of the countertops are waterproof and maintenance free. The 6ft tung oiled counter is used for bread and pastry making. The breakfast bar is cantilevered on stainless steel posts. The damaged walls from the original backsplash were covered with 4" maple boards.

The cupboard doors were installed by Cabinet Makeovers. We chose antique white shaker style doors with stainless pulls.

We were able to keep our incredibly heavy enamel cast iron sink, although we replaced the tap with a new Moen one.

The most difficult part of this reno was that it took place in December, not a good time to tear apart your kitchen.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
The Virtual Designer- Kitchens & Bathrooms
Lovely job .....congratulations. I think dying appliances are the reason for many a new kitchen; well it's a good excuse anyway.
1 Like   January 27, 2013 at 10:30PM
mveasey
Wonderful job! Congrats from a fellow Canadian! Love also that you kept all the handles horizontal and the floor ties in beautifully!
1 Like   January 27, 2013 at 10:53PM
PRO
Reico Kitchen & Bath
Great update! Love the top on the peninsula and your choice of hardware!
1 Like   January 28, 2013 at 5:15AM
PRO
Paradise Restored Landscaping & Exterior Design
Want it! Love the floor and the look is sassy and inviting! A bunch of thumbs up!
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 12:14PM
PRO
Dytecture
Great update while still in keeping with the character of the house.
1 Like   January 30, 2013 at 7:47AM
yolie1110
Very nice..good job
0 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 3:05PM
onnie128
Looks great! I think I had that same cooktop/vent in our old house. Was it a Jenaire with a griddle in the middle? I was so glad when I was able to renovate that kitchen...then we moved. But your new kitchen looks lovely.
0 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 6:14PM
PRO
Louis Pardoe
Looks Great....well done
0 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 6:19PM
Dixie Henrie
Onnie128 I had that Jenaire you're describing! Hated it! And the kitchen reno of that Jenaire house began because the oven caught on fire, as suggested by Virtual Designer. Nice job karenhac.
1 Like   February 8, 2013 at 6:22PM
kathleensilver
I like the floor actually. I think it's nice. I'm a baker - so this kitchen is very appealing to my eye! White cabinets won't show all the flour! LOL
0 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 6:25PM
karenhak
Thank you all for the lovely comments . I can't complain too much about our old cooktop - the Thermador unit lasted 28 years. For those bakers out there - nothing beats a wooden countertop.
0 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 7:24PM
saltcitybabe
So nice! I love the black bar stools. Black is my favorite accent! I would add a bit more black if it were mine. Love it!!!
0 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 8:03PM
saltcitybabe
I just took another look. Black back splash...pleeeeze.
0 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 8:04PM
PRO
IN* D* Ex
So refreshing not to see subway tile and canned glass strips!
1 Like   February 8, 2013 at 8:07PM
diynewbie_sf
We have wood counters, too. Can you tell me what the gray rectangles are on the sides of the sink on the countertops? Are those tiles to help the water not pool there? Tx!
0 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 8:15PM
karenhak
The grey rectangles are Oxo silicone drying mats - the best things ever. They're easy to clean, dry quickly and you can roll them up and tuck them away when guests come.
1 Like   February 8, 2013 at 9:16PM
diynewbie_sf
Ah, thank you! I will check them out!
0 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 9:33PM
angelyn1320
Very nice job! Love the maple countertops.
0 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 10:11PM
More Discussions
Problems with your spouse?
Do you have challenges with your spouse when you're...
Help with color palette
We will be moving into our new home in a couple of...
Which Closet System to Choose?
We are in desperate need to overhaul all of our bedroom...
Need help with my Bathroom, What style is this?
Was white & Pink walls with purple rugs, now its Tepee...
Not my table but my house...please help me!
Hi all, we are looking for some decor ideas for our...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.