Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need ideas for living room
Dee Chana
January 27, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hi, I hope you can help me with my design dilemma. I have just moved into a new house and need some ideas on how to decorate and furnish my living room. It is a large room, 6 meters by 7 meters with huge windows so is a very bright room. It has a fireplace in one corner and an entry door as well. It has wooden floors and pale cream walls at the moment but I am planning to paint them a combination of pale and dark grey. I don't want to fill the room with furniture but want it to look elegant. Many thanks for your help. Dee
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Darzy
Nice room! More information is needed. Purpose of room? Tv? Design style preference? How many will you need to seat? Lifestyle?
January 27, 2013 at 11:05pm     
mveasey
Hi
Beautiful room, love your windows!
A few questions: you said you don't want to fill it with furniture, but will this room get used as a living room then? Do you need/ want some sort of entry arrangement, for keys,coats etc?
Is privacy and heat an issue with these windows?
Do you have/ will reuse your furniture and what styles do you like? Or do you want to stay with the style of your area/ house?
Answering those type of questions helps us a little to narrow down suggestions... Thanks!
January 27, 2013 at 11:07pm     
mveasey
Hi Darzy
Nice to see you again!
January 27, 2013 at 11:08pm     
PRO
G C Construction LLC
we can help you with some ideas too with the electronics but can you porst more pictures of the area
January 27, 2013 at 11:11pm   
Judit
I'd worry about the doors and windows on the firt place, looking at them makes me think you will freeze in winter
January 28, 2013 at 12:12am   
Darzy
Hi mveasey! Nice to see you! I enjoy your comments very much.
January 28, 2013 at 12:28am   
PRO
LB Interiors
I agree with Darzy & emveasey & Judit. My vision is ... If you don't put enough furniture in the room, it will appear that you are just moving in or moving out. We all need to know how you want to use the room.

Push sofa back to the wall, then move coffee table closer to sofa.

Purchase 2 terrific complimentary chairs in a great classic solid or pattern in the colors you prefer. Use the chairs as your color palette for inspiration. Pillows in colors drawn from the chair fabric... Accessory and art colors drawn from colors found in the fabric. Use contrast colors for more of a statement. Use blended colors for a gentler visual feeling. Both can be elegant.

If you're planning a TV in this room, the seating will not work with the plan suggested.

The furniture in the room lends itself to more of a casual feeling. Is that what you were wanting? Will you be buying something else? Elegance is achieved in a variety of ways. Furniture style is only one part of it. Added elements to the room can make it become more elegant if the right choices are made.
Julianne Kelly
Cleeves House
Bergen Street Residence Living Room

chair fabric is kinda cool, but maybe not you Alice Armchair by Creazioni available on Imagine-living.com
January 28, 2013 at 12:35am     
Darzy
I was hoping this was temporary furniture. Do you need to use this sofa?
January 28, 2013 at 12:42am   
Dee Chana
Thank you all for your comments. I will try and answer all the questions raised - it is going to be used as a semi formal living room, the entry door in this room is not the main entrance, it is just the way this house has been built, the formal entrance is to the side of the house. I am aiming to have enough seating for between 10 - 15 people. Privacy will not be an issue, I will be getting sheer curtains soon and I will have to buy new furniture for the room. The couch in the room is just there temporarily for somewhere to sit on for now, and winter is not a problem, I am living in Nairobi, Kenya where there is no winter. I love the pictures I have seen here with the pale grey walls but my question is what color of sofas would I go for that would complement the pale walls but also the wooden floor. thanks a million again.
January 28, 2013 at 4:22am     
anthip
Yes. I was going to say it didn't look like somewhere too cold. Although I have been chilly in Nairobi.

What sort of style do you like? Traditional? Modern?
January 28, 2013 at 5:34am     
PRO
LB Interiors
Suggestions ....... create two separate groupings

( If your space permits)
( If your space permits)
***** Plan 1. - Large sectional seating on left corner of the room or against the very wide window.
End tables each side. Lamps on top.
Large coffee table or 2-3 separate ottomans or storage ottomans (used as coffee table and/or extra seating)
2 exciting chairs opposite coffee table. Table or trunk between.

Second Grouping - Right side fireplace space.
Left and right side of fireplace, place 2 different chairs not matching the others at the sofa grouping. Chairs facing the fireplace. Add a table between them. (chairs can be easily added to the sofa area temporarily, for more guests)
In foreground of photo - right wall - add a sofa table, 2 candlestick lamps on top and accessories. Group art or family photo collage or large artwork.

***** Plan 2. - Two same size sofas at L-shape (same area as sectional idea above)
Total of 3 end tables. 2 matching at outer edges of grouping. Lamps on top. A different end table at the corner of the L-shape grouping. "Large" vase or sculpture or personal treasure.
Large coffee table or 2-3 separate ottomans or storage ottomans (used as coffee table and/or extra seating)
2 exciting chairs opposite coffee table. Table or trunk between.

Second Grouping - Right side fireplace space. ( same as above )
...... or ........
if you would enjoy a space to munch/eat or play cards?
Right wall of photo - A game table with as many chairs that would fit the space comfortably.

Add an area carpet under the seating plan that you choose.

You might be able to mix up the ideas in possible other layouts.
Eliminate any parts that you don't want.

Good luck! The first step is to decide the "function" of this room. How do you want to use it?
Tribeca Penthouse San Franacisco Nob Hill Highrise High Rise Condo
January 28, 2013 at 2:27pm   
Judit
Nairobi OK sorry :)
January 28, 2013 at 2:59pm   
January 28, 2013 at 3:26pm   
lionnessone
“DO NOT PAINT YOUR WALLS FIRST.” Choose your furniture first and your paint colour will follow. I do not think your room is large enough for two separate sitting areas. You said you want your room to be able to seat 10-15 people and you do not want to fill the room with furniture. May I suggest you consider an extra long bench for extra seating, a chesterfield the same length as the bench, two armchairs, a rectangle coffee table and end tables plus an area rug?

[houzz=Bella Fiore][houzz=Camelia Court][houzz=Montecito Italian Living Room][houzz=Oz Architects][houzz=St. Simons Island, GA][houzz=Den opens to the Pacific Ocean]
January 28, 2013 at 3:43pm     
PRO
LB Interiors
I agree with lionnessone. Don't paint first!
January 28, 2013 at 4:49pm   
Darzy
I think I'd do low back sofas so as not to cover those fabulous windows. How about two sofas in an L shape? Then, on the fireplace wall, a table against the wall with upholstered chairs. This would be a good spot for buffets, or dining by the fire. Then, you can pull the chairs up to the coffee table as well when needed.
Belgian Slope Arm Slipcovered Sofa
sfgirlbybay
January 28, 2013 at 5:17pm     
PRO
LB Interiors
Darzy, Nice idea too. There truly are a lot of options.
January 28, 2013 at 5:40pm     
Darzy
Thank you LB Interiors. Your ideas are nice as well. I agree she has a lot of options in this fabulous room!
January 28, 2013 at 6:05pm     
Darzy
Dee...instead of the dark and pale gray wall color...how about a very pale "natural" green color? (I rarely suggest green!) But I think it would be lovely to "blend" with the wonderful window views and bring the outdoors in. And, will complement your wood floor and trim. If privacy isn't an issue, I would just "dress" the window to soften but cover very little. Beautiful space you have!

January 28, 2013 at 6:11pm     
PRO
LB Interiors
Love the green wall color, Darzy. Nature in the living room. How beautiful and comforting!
January 28, 2013 at 6:24pm     
Darzy
I'm glad you think so LB Interiors. I wasn't sure about the green!
January 28, 2013 at 6:30pm   
PRO
LB Interiors
What would you think about combining Darzy's green walls with green pillows on the sofa as in the photo Tribeca Penthouse and add another color that you like? Switch out the choice of colors.
January 28, 2013 at 6:30pm     
Dee Chana
Darzy & LB interiors and everyone else - thank you so much for your ideas, I am definitely veering towards the pale green walls and light colored furniture and also the seating arrangement as suggested by LB Interiors - will post updated photos when the room is complete.
January 29, 2013 at 6:22am     
PRO
LB Interiors
Thanks Dee, I'm happy to help. I can't wait to see the updates.
January 29, 2013 at 10:58pm   
More Discussions
how well do these coordinate?
Thinking of using tile for backsplash, Fantasy brown...
Lighting for dining room
Are brass fixtures totally out of style now.
Your favorite home of all time?
What's your favorite home that you have ever lived...
Staging Living Room and Dining Room
We will be staging this home with an ivory sofa, glass...
Tile on the diagonal or no?
Tiling our small condo and redoing our small kitchen...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.