Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Redoing My Back Yard. Input Please
fbmbirds
January 28, 2013 in Before & After
Hello,

Ever since I've bought my house, the back yard has been bugging me.

The yard seems very odd and needs some work to make it look right.

So I have attached a few pics of what it looks like right now.

And a few quick Photo shop pics of what i kinda want to do.

Please any input would be helpful.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
fbmbirds
here are the After pics i did really quick
January 28, 2013 at 4:31am   
fbmbirds
Here is one with Hedges. and a few ideas for step downs coming off the from under the house.

the first would be just normal 2-3 steps coming down into the back yard.

the second is like a built in firepit with steps leading into the back yard.

Thoughts please.
January 28, 2013 at 4:34am   
stylepink
Great job on the photoshopping. You have some great ideas. The steps is a great idea cause of how ur land is. Some privacy trees would help to give it a more decorative look on the sides. You should plant grass the whole way back. The trees you have in the one pic looks really good without the pots though maybe put some colorful flowers in between them or in front of them. The firepit with some chairs would do a lot for your back yard. Maybe add some colorful flowers and flower bed items.

Here is a link for some back yard ideas as you see grass does a lot and it does look like it would look better to level it out. The wall u want to build is a great idea. I'm no good at photoshopping but u have some great ideas started.
http://www.houzz.com/back-yard-ideas/p/16
January 28, 2013 at 5:46am   
fbmbirds
Thanks,
Yea ive tried really quick to redo the image with photoshop to give people the idea im trying to do.

Just need some other ideas.
January 28, 2013 at 5:49am   
PRO
Paradise Restored Landscaping & Exterior Design
stylepink195 - I like your style! - great ideas 'can be' inspired form other houzz photos! You are on right track - I personally liked your fire pit idea fbmbirds - maybe a bubbler feature - pathways -
Menkins
Hyde Project
Vike 1
Vike 2
January 29, 2013 at 12:07pm   
fbmbirds
Well its just going to be some work leveling out my yard. as you can see in the pictures half the yard is one height the other another.

I plan on building up the small retaining wall back to the right corner of my house then extending it outward.

Once that is done i will figure out where to go from there.
January 30, 2013 at 3:00am   
Sharon
Hi, what do you want to do in your yard? Do you have kids/pets? I'm picturing a raised flower bed around that tree, using maybe decking as the wall and a garden seat. You don't have to level the whole yard, I really like different heights & areas within a garden. You could level off some areas at different heights for different uses, eg a seated platform area around a lit fountain to have a glass of wine under the stars at night, an outdoor lounge for a morning cuppa...
January 30, 2013 at 3:32am   
angelml
Sorry to comment in here. I'm trying to add a discussion and its not happening. Does anyone else have that problem
January 30, 2013 at 3:38am   
fbmbirds
lol im not sure.
January 31, 2013 at 6:51am   
PRO
Twisted Minds Custom Designs
I'm partial to using real stone as a retaing wall as opposed to the man made blocks, depending on your location you could visit a local quarry or landscape center and pick out a stone that would blend in naturally to your surroundings. You could pour a stamped concrete patio, and incorporate a waterfall feature coming down from the high spot in your yard by the trees into a small pond, or a pondless waterfall if you don't like the idea of open water. If you do alot of entertaining add a conversational firepit in center as per your picture, or set a pit in corner of retaing wall for a more intimate setting, just be careful of placement with trees overhead. You could also do a fire/barbecue pit, outdoor oven for dual purpose fixture. Of course everything is dictated by budget, the sky is the limit.
January 31, 2013 at 7:17am   
PRO
All Backyard Fun
love the idea of the fire pit as a middle piece. One thing to consider is if you want a permanent fire pit or if you'd like something you could take with you if you'd move. Fire tables are a great option if you would ever have a chance of moving and you'd like to take it with. but a permanent fire pit could add to the value of your home as well
January 31, 2013 at 2:00pm   
PRO
Brown Bros. Masonry
Keeping levels in your yard will add much depth. I, too, agree a firepit or fireplace would be great, maybe on a deck or patio with pavers of some kind. Perhaps a walkway, stairs, entrance to your yard....planter around your tree. An in-ground firepit (protecting shrubbery, trees...etc. from the fire warmth and heat ) and perhaps small retaining wall or incorporating planter box for seating around fire.
February 21, 2013 at 10:31am