Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Backsplash dilemma
chitown
January 28, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hello. Our new construction home has a stainless steel backsplash. Not sure if I like it, perhaps a bit too industrial for my taste. It does work with the weathered light wood cabinets though imo. Thoughts on this? Any other suggestions what would look nice if we were going to replace?? Thanks.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
fbmbirds
IDK i like it
January 28, 2013 at 4:43am     
PRO
All 4 Show, LLC
Love it!! It has a rustic chic look to it....
January 28, 2013 at 4:49am     
njmomma
I like it also. I think once you put accessories in your kitchen you will see a big difference. I think the large area above the stove top is the problem for you? If it is you may be able to place a tile or mosaic piece back there to break it up and give you the look you want, but I would wait about six months before deciding if that is really what you need in the space. Get the window treatment in, the accessories on the counter and let it sit for a while before you make a hole in your wall. :-)
January 28, 2013 at 4:52am     
PRO
Mycom
Hi, I love it too, when you put some more accessories like blinds on the window and chairs, some decor on the table you might change your mind to replace it.
January 28, 2013 at 5:12am   
Tracey Katz
I like it too!!! Add some colour, something warm to make it less industrial if that's what your feeling. Some red or orange? I love this kitchen very sleek!
January 28, 2013 at 5:13am   
Damien Lane
Looks really good!!
January 28, 2013 at 5:20am   
bgerike
Very good looking and up to the minute! Easy to clean, reflective, current style, clean lines! Live with it for a while, your accessories will tone it down for you.
January 28, 2013 at 5:33am   
feeny
Adding one more voice to the chorus of approval: I think it looks great.
January 28, 2013 at 5:41am   
PRO
Gabberts Design Studio
I think it's gorgous! I would live with it awhile...I'm sure you'll love it once you're used to it.
January 28, 2013 at 5:44am   
jamtan1
I would keep it looks stunning
January 28, 2013 at 5:56am   
jamtan1
I would definately paint the walls red then add black accessories
January 28, 2013 at 5:57am   
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
I would recommend a Screen Roller shade in that window . I think it will look great it will control the light but still give you the natural light in the kitchen you need.
http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/blinds-toronto/shades-toronto/roller-blinds-screen-shades.html
January 28, 2013 at 6:45am   
PRO
Susan Jablon Mosaics
Hi chitown!
I too like the stainless steel, but definitely understand how it could feel too industrial. Maybe something warmer to make your kitchen more cozy instead of cold is what you'd prefer? I think the best thing for now to make sure you in fact really want to change it would be to get some samples of tiles you like for the space, and keep them in your kitchen for a while. If one in particular really screams at you, I say go for it. Most people spend a lot of time in their kitchen, and you want it to be a place where you really feel comfortable. Below are some images of tile from our site just to give you an idea of the many kinds of tile that are out there. Good luck!
January 28, 2013 at 8:39am     
chitown
Thank you everyone for your input. We will try out the backsplash for awhile and see how we feel down the road! Glad to everyone likes it.
January 28, 2013 at 4:53pm     
hockey29
I think that you should leave a few strips and add some other color of backspash around it. That seems like too much, It really would look good with just a bit mixed with some color.
January 28, 2013 at 4:58pm   
mveasey
I like it, but can see what you mean. Another option would be to leave the current backsplash behind the stove only and see how you like the rest without or covered. The stove with the tiles and the range hood make a beautiful focal point.
January 28, 2013 at 5:20pm   
PRO
Color Zen
I love it!
January 28, 2013 at 5:36pm   
PRO
Hot Apple Pine LLC
I understand your position, maybe a little too industrial. Between the awesome stove and its hood already a strong statement of stainless steel on that wall which is carried around the room with other appliances/fixtures and the nickel hardware. If you aren't happy after living with it a little while, I would be tempted to add some color, without overpowering the room, and powder coat paint the stainless. The subway tile pattern will still come through. Maybe something to pop just a little against the cabinet/floor/wall pallet. The counters will still stand out.
January 28, 2013 at 5:40pm   
PRO
Maria Billingsley of J Hettinger Interiors
Other than the shine it really does disappear. It is kind of trendy so wait a couple years when SS backs splashes are passehy...but for now its fine.
January 28, 2013 at 5:43pm   
PRO
Lightcrafters, Inc.
Your kitchen is beautiful! Enjoy it.
January 28, 2013 at 7:06pm   
armygirl1987
Love it
January 28, 2013 at 7:11pm   
stoneponies12
Your kitchen is gorgeous! I love the ss backsplash and would have never considered it until I saw your picture. It looks great with the weathered cabinets. Once you add in a few details, you may really love it. I can see ironstone pitchers or crocks with mossy green plants. Add a few nature/ organic touches to round it out. In the end, if you absolutely don't love it and want to change it, then change it. It is your home so don't settle if you don't have to. I do love it though!
January 28, 2013 at 8:01pm