Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
How can I give my bed some drama?
anthuria
January 28, 2013 in Design Dilemma
This is the bedroom in my new house. We are about to decorate. I'm going for a monochromatic scheme of grey, white and silver planning to add changing color accents with the seasons. The room has a wall of full length windows looking out to the mountains, can't ignore the seasons so we thought we'd embrace them. However I 've always wanted a dramatic bed. I plan to keep my king size bed, shown, and thought maybe a corona, but the ceiling is low and the bed is wide. The ceiling is 7'6". Any suggestions gratefully received. Also wondered if there is a way to change the wood stain , I like the wood, but it is almost orange. Is painting it the only option?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Lauren Stead
a taller headboard, and something with more substance (something that doesnt show wall behind it), like an upholstered one, will make your bed seem like more of a focal point. Then, if you like simple curtain panels, hanging curtains over both windows from the ceiling all the way to the floor will make your windows seem much more grand and give your room more height. And a painting over the bed always adds interest. you have a beautiful view!
January 28, 2013 at 6:35am   
Kate
What I did notice are the large size of your pillows take over the bed and away from the beautiful head board. I think you need different sizes and shape pillows.......rolled and elongated may work. Is to possible to raise the headboard a bit? If it's attached to the bed and not easy to raise, attach it to the wall and raise it so it stands out. It's lovely!
Following with the European look of the bed....simple and clean lines for the coverlet and something with a bit of bling in a throw/blanket tossed on the end of the bed. Side tables you may be able to find at an estate sale that are wooden, stained or painted, but more ornate.The white side tables that are contemporary, the valances that are traditional and the rustic look of the wood trim are conflicting. Think French!
I'd paint the trim and room around complimenting the color of the headboard.
KC
January 28, 2013 at 7:45am     
jmarae
To make the room appear taller starting your curtain rods to the ceiling as suggested is key. Another trick s painting your ceiling the same as your walls but one to two shades lighter. Unless you are keeping all walls white! Which would look lovely. I love the color scheme you have chosen for this room! I would definitely paint your trim. I am a firm believer in painting wood trim. Unless the trim has character or is a major design element in a room it should be painted the same color as the walls. Why bring attention to it. With your color scheme it may be fun to paint it platinum. You may want to think about sconces over your bed instead of lamps on your dressers. why block your view with anything Please post when completed!
January 28, 2013 at 7:48am     
Nancy Hehmann
I think white or antique white walls would highlight the beautiful headboard and would also enhance your spectacular view. Save the color for a luxiourious bedspread and drapes to create a wow factor
January 28, 2013 at 8:03am     
viratrevino
I think a pretty upholstered headboard with drapes that go to the ceiling and some very simple end tables....and of course, a chandelier - every room needs one!
January 28, 2013 at 8:13am     
pagonian
I agree about raisin the headboard. If that is not possible, make/buy a material headboard to place on the wall behind your bed. Follow the outer lines of the shape of the bed. The pillows are indeed wrong as a the curtains. Painted wood is nice but I think it is sacrilege lol
January 28, 2013 at 8:33am   
anthuria
Thanks everyone for these helpful suggestions. I've taken a look at the bed, but the headboard is part of it and can't really be raised. The window valance came with the house and will go, the pillows are mine, but very old and will also go.
So if I've understood the suggestions:
Drapes hung from the ceiling to the floor
A chandelier - I'd love one, but with 7'6" ceiling height, is it practical?
if possible get rid of the bedside lamps
I'd planned to use Sherwin Williams' Gray Matters' (SW 7066) on the walls, with or white drapes, but the consensus seems to be that a lighter color would be better, with gray drapes.
Find something with a more interesting shape for the bedside chests
or get rid of the 'rustic' look from the stained woodwork.
put some sort of upholstered bedhead behind the actual bedhead - I'm not sure I've understood this.

Does that sum it up?
Would it be going too far to have a feature wall, using metallic silver, perhaps opposite the bed? I've never used metallic paint before, but I noticed the Benjamin Moore has some and wondered. It seems to me that a touch of fantasy is OK in a bedroom.

I'm really grateful for all these wonderful suggestions.
January 29, 2013 at 6:56am   
jmarae
I disagree about raising the bed anyway. As long as the curtains start at the ceiling and end on the floor that should do it. If you raised the bed then everything would be right where you started and the ceiling would look low again. I love metallic paint. My entire bedroom ceiling and all is metallic but silver is a little too much. If you paint the walls and ceiling white the silver metallic would look amazing on the wood trim. I also would NOT do a chandelier but have you looked into sconces that look like chandeliers for the bed wall? There are thousands of options. U can have one large one in the middle or two separate ones at each end for individual reading lights. This will also add to making your bed wall a feature wall with the view. No need for lamps on the bedside tables. Here are some pictures of different Sconces. they are also less expensive then a chandelier. I used these just because they are different from each other. There are thousands out there to choose from. . Also regarding drapery. You need to pick your bedding first. But you can never go wrong in a bedroom with a white organza. I have pictures from restoration hardware and west elm which are both great sources for window treatments. You can hang them on a rod that matches the metallic paint trim, if you go that route. Regarding bedding, check out macys.com they have a huge selection of grey, pewter and silver bedding. You can pick a duvet or comforter and bed skirt if needed from several options. Most can be mixed beautifully with white linens. Good luck
January 29, 2013 at 8:06am   
jmarae
One more thought for you. I painted a laminated amour with regular silver metallic paint. I did post it on Hauzz with very detailed instructions. You can do the same to your bedside tables. Before and after pics attached.
January 29, 2013 at 8:31am   
Kate
I didn't say raise the bed...I said said raise the headboard which is probably do able, but would need some adjustment/alteration of the frame. It's a nice headboard and an inexpensive fix.
I agree with the suggestion of drapes on either side of the hanging the length of the wall, ceiling to floor...elegant look! I don't think I like metallic paint on the woodwork or a whole wall, although, some scroll type lettering with your fav saying or thought in metallic above the headboard might be a nice touch. Even mirrored side tables is a thought or jmarae had a great idea with painting pieces of furniture....do like how the armoire came out.
KC
January 29, 2013 at 10:30am   
jmarae
Hi KC, r u asking me if I like the armoire? I love it. But it was the first laminate piece I ever painted. it was a lot of trial and error. I have it down now and know exactly how to do it correctly. I recieved alot of bad advise. I also started with a large project. I took the legs( feet) off, mirrored the front inside of the top doors, all new hinges and pulls. Metallic is oil based, yada,yada....The key is to only lightly sand and use a FAST drying base coat. Or leave the base coat on for a min. of 7 to 10 days to thoroughly dry before painting. The picture does not do it justice. It went from an inexpensive outdated piece of furniture to a truly exceptional and expensive one of a kind piece of furniture. Picture is before the room was competed. It is amazing now.
January 29, 2013 at 12:26pm   
Kate
Hi Jmarae...........I love your armoire and what you did. I consider you very brave and, totally, creative.
KC
January 29, 2013 at 4:38pm     
anthuria
I completely agree your armoire ,Jmarae looks fantastic. I'm seriously thinking of doing something similar. Thanks for the information. Found exactly what I wanted at macy's.com, thanks. It's sadly out of stock, but I can wait! Thanks again.
January 29, 2013 at 5:52pm   
Maureen Randall
I would paint the headboard a creamy white color, and add trim around the windows and paint those bright white. I love the look of vintage cottage, with floral elements, to add the romance. Crisp white bedding with floral/stripe pillows. I think the pillows you have on the bed currently are a bit too large. You can achieve a richer effect by layering more pillows on the bed. And finally, maybe a mirror above the headboard or some kind of architectural element from the past?? Well. good luck with your choices!
January 29, 2013 at 6:04pm   
Maureen Randall
I am going for the same look as well. Pale gray walls, white curtains, mercury glass lamps, an ornate silver burst mirror and seashells! Sounds like we are the same, i am going for a vintage, romantic, cottage look.
January 29, 2013 at 6:11pm   
jmarae
Thank you anthuriia and KC, @ KC my hubby says you left out a little crazy. @anthuria so happy you had luck at Macy's
January 29, 2013 at 6:13pm   
pagonian
Jmarae, I am new to this site and can't seem to find your info on the silver armoire. Pls let me know where I can get the details. I am super impressed with our creativity and salvaging results!
January 29, 2013 at 10:35pm   
jmarae
@Pagonian- I posted it back in November in discussions under before and after. I will open it and see if i can send you it through Hauzz
January 29, 2013 at 11:03pm   
PRO
Welcome Home designs
Here is a bedroom with similar layout.

January 29, 2013 at 11:05pm   
jmarae
Pagonian- there is probably an easier way to send this to you but this is the only way i know right now. Let me know if you have any questions. Once I figured out the right way, it went pretty fast.

Discussion on Houzz: Painted Laminate Armoire http://houzz.com/discussions/196208
January 29, 2013 at 11:19pm   
pagonian
I really appreciate it!
January 29, 2013 at 11:30pm   
JUAN DAVILA
go to HEADY BEDS . COM
February 1, 2013 at 7:34am   
More Discussions
I hate this room! It's my playroom/ eating area I want to make it awes
There is a refrigerator round kitchen table small couch...
Covered patio flooring
My mothers mobile home has a covered porch with outdoor...
What is Australian style?
Australia: it's a big, brown island that has taken...
Window in Shower.
I am working on a remodel that we are fixing and selling,...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.