Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Would this mirror work?
Brooke Olson
January 28, 2013 in Design Dilemma
https://www.jossandmain.com/Prisca-Wall-Mirror~CLRA1020~E3261.html?src=2&referrerid=A05BAA

Looking for a large mirror or art piece for this huge mantel. With the inspiration room shown, do you think the above mirror would work? 65"x 65"
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Brooke Olson
Here's a photo of the mirror. Link doesn't want to work!
3 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 6:42AM
Jayme H.
Wondering if something a little darker would be better? And maybe a simpler shape? Are you keeping the wallpaper?
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 6:54AM
PRO
M.A.S. Construction
take a look at this it is a custom frame i made for a 60x36 builder grade vanity mirror. Material was around $50.00
2 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 7:00AM
Jayme H.
Floor is dark, cabinets white, wallpaper light, I think darker frame would be better.
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 7:11AM
PRO
The Creative Man
Something taller and lean it against the brick on the mantel. A color frame would be wonderful.
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 7:27AM
PRO
V.I.P. Kitchens, LLC.
Me personally i like the idea of using something crazy and funky to keep a busy flow. its a different type of design flow you can go with. But it is deff a tricky one. Maybe try seeing what other items you can try up there but heres an idea of what it would look like if you were to go with it.. Bc you have to add some more movement into the room being its being placed on such a wide wall and then you have the simple cabinetry next to it.. the mirror would be a bad idea IF it was to go directly up next to the wall paper though =) hope it helps!!
4 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 7:34AM
PRO
V.I.P. Kitchens, LLC.
OH and make sure say you compare the size of your fire place area and the size of the mirror to make sure it fits similar to how i scaled it on the photo.. I wouldn't just sit a mirror on the mantly though due to such a gorgeous fireplace area and ceiling heights.
2 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 7:36AM
Brooke Olson
VIP kitchens... Totally off this subject, but missing a microwave in our kitchen. House is a foreclosure. Any idea what microwave was there, and cost to replace??? We have a wolf/subzero package, I think. :-)
Opening measures 27.5 x 17?
2 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 7:45AM
lionnessone
Please square off the mantel and paint it to blend in with the fireplace. Your mantel looks unfinished, finish it by installing the rest of the framing. Your fireplace will flow much better with the rest of the cabinetry if you finish the fireplace.
[houzz=Olentangy Falls ~ Delaware, OH]
[houzz=Living Stone Construction, Inc. 1][houzz=Kelok Home Lake Oswego][houzz=Living Stone Construction, Inc. 2]
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 7:59AM
PRO
V.I.P. Kitchens, LLC.
First off you are such a lucky person to get this house!!!! Id soo loveeee to have your house!! such charm just the way it is! but you can measure the cut out thats in the cabinet now. where the microwave was at. The hole in the tall cabinet is where it goes. a 27.5x17 should fit right into there but the cabinet might be a little to wide but you have to purchase a frame kit usually with your microwave thereforeeeee I think once you do that it will all fit perfectly into place. =) but I defff love your house! I wish I could see it in person and one day get me one similar! deff a great choice of style you have
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 8:31AM
PRO
V.I.P. Kitchens, LLC.
http://www.subzero-wolf.com/oven/microwave-ovens/convection-microwave

just find out what size your built in microwave is and then call your appliance supplier and give them the demension of you opening for the cabinet. and make sure it will slide in.. im pretty sure it will.. atleast from me just looking at the photo it does and dealing with stuff like this usually. but your appliance person should be able to find out for you. BUT if you need say a filler bc it doesn't fit im sure you can contact a local cabinet dealer and they can match as best as possible to help you. BUT if its still to big of a hole you can also ask your appliance person for a large microwave to slide in there.

but im pretty confident its going to work out fine! =) i don't mind answering any other questions you have either. I enjoy helping with design. i went to school for it and graduated with an Interior Design Degree! =)
1 Like   January 28, 2013 at 8:39AM
groveraxle
I love this whole wall and I like the mirror, provided it is an appropriate size. It looks great in the photoshop V.I.P. Kitchens did. However, I do think the mantel should go all the way across the fireplace.
1 Like   January 28, 2013 at 8:46AM
PRO
V.I.P. Kitchens, LLC.
I think that would help if the Mirror is larger than the mantle.. its deff a must to stretch the mantle then if the mirror is bigger! but Thanks Groveraxle! =)
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 9:00AM
lisabarnett67
I agree about needing more framing on the mantle to blend in with the cabinetry. I would take the doors off the cabinets to make them look more like built in display shelves.
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 9:09AM
Brooke Olson
I have a son with autism and he likes to have "things" and "stuff" in every room of the house! I kind of want the doors on the cabinets to hide all his stuff. But I was thinking of building out the mantel/fireplace on the lower half to match the cabinets. Also, what would be your opinions on painting the cabinets? I think they would look so much better even if they just matched the background of the wallpaper in cream. But someone suggested a red/brick color as well. Can't picture it, but would love if someone could do a photoshop trick so I could see what it may look like!!!

I also have this other area of the room with a wet bar. The room is in an L shape and runs 25' x 14' x 25' ... So the area in front of the fireplace doesnt have much depth. How would you lay out the furniture? I was thinking the sofa across from the fireplace and chairs on the sides?
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 10:44AM
PRO
Miss Kristen Levron
idk if i would add paint to the cabinets... the red might be too much to bare bc the busy wall paper.. i wouldn't do it unless its cream with a glaze.. the more photos you show though i loveeeeee lol gosh super jealous lady right here!!!

But Maybe the wet bar ones.. idkk though ... like i said painting any colors besides a neutral it will probably be too much.. but your furniture make sure it doesn't obstruct your path ways of entering or exiting the area.. also make sure your furniture isn't too large for the space or too small due to the size of it .. my mom has a L shaped room similar but she doesn't use it bc she never knew how to do it..it was just a computer sewing and formal dining and play area.
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 12:46PM
2dogssashatess
I like the mirror BUT I also love your wallpaper. The wallpaper is a real feature of the room and I think you need to be careful that the room does not become overpowering. Personally I would go with a more simple classic mirror shape. I would make the cupboards cream.
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 1:37PM
Brooke Olson
2dogssashatess, would you paint the trim in the room cream as well?
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 1:40PM
Brooke Olson
Here's more photos of the room. You can see the paper and the shape of the room.
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 1:53PM
2dogssashatess
Well, insofar as I can tell from the photos, I like the trim and the cupboards as they are
3 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 2:27PM
PRO
Berni Greene, ASID, CID
The traditional mirror would work in a traditional setting! I like the finish on the mirror. It blends well with the built-ins! Berni Greene, ASID, CID - Brian Craig Interiors, LLC. - Los Angeles, California
2 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 2:35PM
Brooke Olson
Thank you Berni and 2dogssashhatess! Makes things much easier. Do you like the idea of creams and blue accents in the room?
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 2:42PM
2dogssashatess
Cream and blue accents would pick up on the colors of wallpaper, so should be ok.
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 3:31PM
2dogssashatess
I would get a taller mirror than the one you were considering
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 5:42PM
2dogssashatess
oops wrong picture!
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 5:45PM
Brooke Olson
I think i know which one you mean. that would be awesome. I can't find any that big that don't cost $3k~~~ ;-)
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 5:46PM
Brooke Olson
Doesn't....uggh. I do NOT talk like that. Haha. Typing and listening to conversation at the table in my house.
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 5:48PM
kimdee24
I think you had it right the first time. :)
1 Like   January 28, 2013 at 5:57PM
Brooke Olson
Ugghh..see what doing too many things at the same time, and drinking too much wine does to me! haha
1 Like   January 28, 2013 at 6:00PM
2dogssashatess
LOoking at your inspiration photo, I think a large gilt mirror similar to the one they have is the ticket. ( ps I think they should have bigger mirror though)
However, I would go for one whichis more more plain on the sides and bottom and just had detail on the top. Such a mirror is classic and won''t date. I think the one you suggested kind of looks like a big silver platter stuck on the wall. Not meaning to be rude, but that is how it looks to me
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 8:33PM
Brooke Olson
Like this...only bigger? (This is mine, in my current house) I should probably sell this one and use all the money to help buy all the extras. This one us an authentic Hand carved french mirror from the 18th century. Original glass too. Bought it when we had a place in France.
2 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 8:43PM
curacaoblue
Beautiful home. I'd stick with a gold mirror and keep white cabinets. Red will not be flattering. Good luck to you!
2 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 9:03PM
PRO
Eagledzines
Beautiful house!

The curve in the top of the fireplace is picked up in the curve at the top of the cabinets on each side. If you were going to change the mantel, I would suggest having a custom shop make a surround that matches the curve in the top of the fireplace.

To get a very tall mirror, have one cut at a glass shop. Just a flat mirror--not with a bevel. Bevels are expensive. Frame it with molding. You can get molding made from a custom cabinet shop and just ask them to put the mirror in it too. Shouldn't cost you much. You could also get it framed at a frame shop. I don't know how the cost would compare or the material but it would be worth a try. A very tall mirror would really complement the tall fireplace and cabinets. I would take it higher than the cabinets on each side.

I definitely wouldn't go with red paint. It would detract and clash with the fireplace color.

This company offers microwave trim kits for any model, so it doesn't matter what you put into the microwave hole as long as it's not too big. http://www.microtrim.com/microwaves.htm
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 9:16PM
centaurita
I like the mirror and I see where you want to go but it appears from the photo that there is goldtone hardware in the near vicininty that might clash. Maybe it's just me, but I think with the complicated wallpaper in the background you might want to go with something with a cleaner look or maybe a white (or goldtone) frame. If you try to incorporate the background colors (or patterns), even if it is funky, it won't seem so out of place. For instance the windows in the background have a grid and the panels on the cabinets echo the pattern. If you really want this mirror, I would suggest finding some cabinet hardware for this room that is complimentary, as long as it doesn't mean changing out the hardware in the entire house.
1 Like   January 28, 2013 at 9:32PM
centaurita
Maybe look at something with a white or goldtone frame. You have to look at the enlarged version on the left picture to see the mirror :(
2 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 9:36PM
centaurita
Wow - soo jealous of the Wolf applicances! Just look on their website for a microwave that will fit. Most companies use the same colors (incl stainless) to match their other appliances, so you don't necessarily need the exact same one that came out. http://www.subzero-wolf.com/oven/microwave-ovens
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 9:49PM
2dogssashatess
Centaurita''s gilt mirror is exactly the kind of mirror I thought would look good over your fireplace. It is classic, will never date,
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 1:20AM
2dogssashatess
Looking at your fireplace it just occurred to me that I would get a marble fireplace surround and mantle and cover over the red brick which is not in keeping with your beautiful wallpaper. I would go white marble and then put a lovely gilt mirror on top of the mantle
1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 3:36AM
PRO
the essentials inside
Hi all! Sorry I'm late to the discussion.

Brooke - what a beautiful home!

I found this thread b/c I was just answering a question about the mirror you are thinking about. YAWN Design Studio (that's their name, I'm not yawning. ;) designed a fabulous room w/this mirror above the fireplace. Thought you might want to see the pic so I've pasted it here.

(I was answering the question b/c we carry the mirror in our store too. There are two versions - a large and a small. Pictures of the mirror & links are in my projects under my profile if you're still thinking about it)

Have a great night! I'm looking forward to seeing your updates as you go.

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 5:24PM
decoenthusiaste
Please hang a gorgeous chandy so it reflects in the mirror. Otherwise you're just reflecting more of the busy wallpaper. Beautiful or interesting - those are my requirements for installing a mirror - will it reflect B or I? If not, I prefer art, sculpture, etc.
2 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 5:33PM
PRO
the essentials inside
Hi all! Brooke Olson - Just checking in to see how your room & house are coming along!

Lyvonne
www.essentialsinside.com
0 Likes   April 4, 2013 at 4:51PM