Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Your Opinion for plain Kitchen Dining Area
hillaryu
January 28, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hello experts out there! I just moved into my home. This is the dining area of my townhome kitchen. It just looks so plain, like I need something on the wall. Any suggestions on how to liven this up a bit? I really like a classy/luxury feel. However, I don't have the funds to buy new furniture pieces, so looking for some temporary, inexpensive options. please help. :)
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Sigrid
Look through your photo albums for some pictures, get them blown up and framed. Ikea has cheap frames. You need have a mat around the picture. You probably want 4 pictures, pick a theme or a color scheme.
January 28, 2013 at 7:14am   
carriedecorates
Yes, that empty wall needs some art. If you are really looking to do it on the cheap, you could frame some fabric; maybe something with a pleasing geometry that speaks to the lines of your chairs. Spoonflower.com is a good spot to look. If you wanted to spend a bit more, maybe an unframed canvas piece? I could see a botanical in rich warm colors working there.
January 28, 2013 at 7:14am   
hillaryu
what colors would you all go with?
January 28, 2013 at 7:18am   
okibujp
Have you thought of an elegant grey?
January 28, 2013 at 7:19am     
hillaryu
oh those look so nice! i did just repaint the kitchen though. what about the color scheme for the wall items. Do you all mean to use grey for the art, etc?
January 28, 2013 at 7:20am   
Nancy Hehmann
Etsy.com has a lot of wall art. You can use their search engine and type in what you want. Some of the things available there are vinyl wall art that peel off, paintings, photography, Scripted initials floating on glass. I have a photography shop and you could choose a theme such as Paris, Venice, coastal, animals, Charleston SC, agricultural ( wheat field, hay ) If you would like to check it out it is nancyhehmann. I do high definition photography so the detail only improves when enlarged. Click on the link below and it will take you to one example of my photography.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/105993818/high-definition-art-photography-of
January 28, 2013 at 7:21am   
PRO
The Creative Man
Simple fix, a great table cloth and put some art on the walls.
January 28, 2013 at 7:22am   
PRO
Grace Archives
Gallery walls are a classic, yet modern look. I've got tons of vintage art prints that would look great mingled in with your family photos.

www.GraceArchives.etsy.com
January 28, 2013 at 7:39am   
lisabarnett67
I would paint a contrasting color below the chair rail, or white to mimic wainscoting.
January 28, 2013 at 7:54am   
poppiepink
Hi!! I love this little nook!! How about using what you have?? Looks like you have some nice plates in the cabinet.. Display 3-5 of those on the wall.. Display your pics inside the cabinet .. Bring out the darker tone in your chairs and paint the bottom wainscoting.. Either in a stripe or solid .. Flowers on top of the cabinet .. Move the cabinet away from the corner to the center of the wall .. Then move pet dish in the corner to hide .. Buy a pop of color in round table mats and paint the backside/inside of the cabinet to match.. Cant tell what floor type u have .. Maybe an inexpensive round rug.. Also an inexpensive wrought iron clock on the wall beside cabinet .. U could also find those inexpensive wrought iron plate display holders.. Also black hardware on your cabinet.. If that sounds like too much wrought iron then perhaps a plate shelf in white wood.. and white wood clock.. if your plates are blue in color.. maybe use that color for the pop in the cabinet and table mats.. I hope our can find some inspiration in theses little ideas.. If you do, would love to see a picture!!! Goood luck!!!
January 28, 2013 at 7:56am   
carriedecorates
Re: colors, you say you want a luxury feel; I would try to achieve that with something rich and warm. I would get some reds in there; that could work in concert with gray and yellow. (Not a screaming red; i'm thinking more subdued burgandies, maybe terra cotta.) But how much blue do you already have going on? That could fight a warmer scheme and might change my response.
January 28, 2013 at 9:02am   
groveraxle
January 28, 2013 at 9:23am   
PRO
Committed Photography, Inc.
I would be considering two medium sized prints with white frames that are about the same width as the chair rail.

Here are two pieces that would go well together.
http://www.committedphotography.ca/photos/frame/741
http://www.committedphotography.ca/photos/frame/2699
January 30, 2013 at 4:12am   
More Discussions
how well do these coordinate?
Thinking of using tile for backsplash, Fantasy brown...
Cat-Proof Toilet Paper Holder?
You can see the problem. The cat loves to totally destroy...
Please help with fixture!
We don't want to replace the mirror, since we've already...
1935 Art Deco - Suggestions for fireplace update?
Hello - Just purchased this home and in the process...
Staging Living Room and Dining Room
We will be staging this home with an ivory sofa, glass...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.