Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Furniture placement
viratrevino
January 28, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We have a 2nd living area right off the front door that is rarely used. It's a long narrow room and I'm having trouble with the furniture placement. Any ideas?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Dytecture
I would remove one of the loveseats and just a have simpler seating arrangement.
3 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 7:55AM
PRO
Oriental Weavers
Love these tall ceilings and textured walls! Narrow rooms can be very awkward, but the key is to define the spaces within to be viewed as separate entities. With that said, the first thing that came to mind here is that you need a large rug to define that space, especially since you have a matching suite. As far as furniture placement goes, see how the room feels after the rug...It may work better with what you have going on, but if it still feels awkward, I would move the two chairs out of the room or simply use them to frame the rug and space, by placing them perpendicular to front wall (table between), looking towards back window. Not sure how the rest of the room sits, but another smaller rug could help define the entrance as a more distinguished foyer.
1 Like   January 28, 2013 at 8:31AM
pagonian
Can you send us a few more views/angles of the room ?
2 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 8:39AM
viratrevino
Excellent!! Thank you. I've considered a round rug at the "entrance" and a larger one by the seating. I really like your ideas and love the color choices in those rugs!! Our home has a very open flow - as you enter, the living area is to the right and the dining to the left. I'm uploading more angles and pictures now. Thanks!!
1 Like   January 28, 2013 at 8:48AM
aniluap2
The rug is a great suggestion. You could also have the sofa against the wall face the sofa in front of the window so it encloses that space. The two chairs could then either placed where the wall sofa was with a small table in between them or on either side of the console table . Another option is to move the wall sofa closer to the window sofa to form an L with the side table between them and move the two chairs opposite the wall for a more open feel. I would play with it and see what feels right.
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 9:05AM
viratrevino
Here are a few more of the open space. Walking in, the living area is to the right and the dining area and stairs are to the left. Thanks for your ideas - keep them coming!!
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 9:08AM
viratrevino
Dining area and stairs that are to the left upon entry....
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 9:10AM
viratrevino
Closer pictures of the living space
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 9:14AM
aniluap2
You definitely need to tighten up the furniture p,ace ment in the living area so that it becomes more like a conversation pit. Right now the seating areas do not connect.
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 9:30AM
viratrevino
The "big girl" picture doesn't really fit anywhere else and if I pull the furniture out from under her, she loses her grounding....help!
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 9:38AM
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
Thank you for more pictures. I agree with "Dytecture" about removing one loveseat, the one facing the window. I would also remove the 2 smaller chairs. A great rug as suggested by "Sphinx by Oriental Weavers and have 2 matching chairs more bulk than the dining type chairs there now, facing into the room . Let the corners encroach a tad into the foyer area. The table & lamp next to the sofa is way too small. consider a smaller taller table with a large torchere lamp in the corner. There is also too much on the coffee table..it is way overloaded and looks a little pretentious. Try moving the long foyer table to under the picture but off center toward the far wall. Place an interesting lamp on the far end and maybe a large bowl under the picture with one other piece. In the foyer area I would place a shorter, but still bulky table with a very tall, but not as tall as the picture in the living room area, and not too wide, framed mirror over it. Possibly flank the mirror with metal sconces. Could have the round rug in that area. But as the area is all quite small..I would match the rugs in pattern. In the dining room, add similar drapery panels. I understand the table angled, because of size, cannot be at any other angle. But in looking at the picture, I would turn it a little more toward the window so the center lines up under the chandelier.
1 Like   January 28, 2013 at 9:39AM
viratrevino
Great suggestions!! I have my work cut out for me!! Thank you!!
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 9:58AM
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
It's a fantastic space..I know it will be beautiful.
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 11:42AM
viratrevino
AFTER....using a few of the suggested changes, moving loveseats into an L, decluttering coffee table and adding height to end table with ficus (suggestion was for tall lamp, but this was a quick fix with things already in my house).....Thoughts?? Does this make it more connected? Or, other changes?? Thanks so much!!
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 2:23PM
aniluap2
I know I suggested the L and even though it looks more cohesive, Ithink it emphasizes that the sofa in front of the window is off center. Maybe a smaller table in the corner so that the back sofa can have equal space on either side and put that corner table I between the 2 chairs?? A rug would also help to pull the pieces together. For a simpler solution You might want to have the 2 sofas facing each other(place the other sofa where the chairs are) and then put the 2 chairs in front of the back window with the side table between them. That might be a simpler solution.
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 6:21PM
pagonian
I don't like the couch off center. I agree that the love seats should face each other..If you did so you could place a tall table behind the sofa chair that would be showing its back. A carpet would be nice as well and definitely a tall side table would make things look less cramped. Happy designing!
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 9:40PM
pagonian
Also could the two chairs flank the long foyer table?
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 9:42PM
pagonian
With the female painting above the long foyer table?
1 Like   January 28, 2013 at 9:44PM
Manon Floreat
I like your modifications. The sofa in front of the window can be centered if you take the end table off the diagonal. I prefer the coffee table horizontal as in the original configuration. Once you've done that, perhaps you can place the two chairs in front of the windows?

Is there a reason that the dining room table is on the diagonal as well?

I really like your "big girl" painting - works with the scale of the room very well.
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 9:51PM
aniluap2
Once you form a square with rhe furniture the coffee table needs to be a square. If the love seats face each other either vertically or horizontally you have a rectangle and the table will work. I agree with manon floreat that if you leave them in an L you need to bring the chairs in front of the window so they are opposite the sofa. I am using my iPad so the screen is smaller and I don't see all he detail. If you have the sofas face each other horizontally I.e. the wall sofa facing the window sofa I'm not sure there is room to place the console table behind it and not obstruct the entry but if there is that would work well and act as a divider to enclose that space as I suggested earlier. I tend to move my furniture around and try it in different configurations until it looks right. Plans help but 3D is better.
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 6:37AM
viratrevino
Another attempt....I moved the chairs to the ends of the dining table. Still doesn't feel quite right...
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 12:07PM
viratrevino
Although this new arrangement defines the space better, it makes it feel very closed off and uninviting. The long table is not working where it is. I'm also open to suggestions/pictures of new furniture that would work better....in case this becomes a lost cause. Thank you so much!!
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 12:10PM
viratrevino
I may have the most workable option going now - thanks to all the suggestions!! Thoughts on this?
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 1:31PM
aniluap2
I personlly like the two sofas facing each other and the chairs in the dining room the best. It partitions off the space which is, I guess what you dont like about it. It reslly is bout personal preference and what feels comfortable to you and your gut is reslly what matters.You could try putting the 2 sofas facing each other vertically i.e. leave the one on the wall and move the other to where you have the console accross from it and then angle the two chairs in front of the large window in back with the small round table by the door between them and it would open up the space.
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 1:46PM
viratrevino
With the two sofas facing each other is really closed off the flow. It's hard to tell from my poor quality pictures, but the walkway on either side of the loveseat into the seating area is very narrow. I took your suggestion of moving the loveseat from one window to the other to have them facing each other vertically, and because the room is so narrow, it felt very tight between them. I am beginning to think that i may have to do away with either the sofa or loveseat and stick with only one of them and the two chairs. Thanks so much for your help!!
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 2:59PM
aniluap2
I think that is a great idea. Less is sometimes more. I think it will make a big difference...please post the finished result.
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 3:33PM
pagonian
You could also try the love seats facing each other on an angle as you have your dining area. I think the plant is too big for the long hallway table. That souls be a nice place to have family photos two tall lamps and something large on the wall. Whatever faces with its back towards the door needs a small table to dress up the back. I don't like when furniture is always placed touching the walls. Keep experimenting! We are here to encourage!
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 4:59PM