powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need flooring ideas for new kitchen (to match the rest of the room)
Calikath
January 28, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I currently have travertine in the kitchen, and I'd like to change it during our remodel; however, I'm having a hard time selecting something nice looking, durable and cleans easily to match the inset cherry wood in the family room surrounded by travertine in the nook and bar area. I'm leaning toward the stone pictured below???
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Ironwood Builders
Loves that French style tile. Pretty rustic though.
2 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 10:38AM
wmpj
The stone you chose is beautiful and would work well. Your kitchen is nice too. If you don't mind me asking, what is it about the kitchen you plan on changing?
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 10:44AM
Marilyn Wilkie
A bit of a tripping hazard? But it is attractive. Are you keeping the granite counters? I'm not sure it goes with them.
1 Like   January 28, 2013 at 10:50AM
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
Why do you not like your travertine. It looks very nice.
1 Like   January 28, 2013 at 10:53AM
wmpj
Thinking about it, the floor you chose is pretty but it looks like it would be difficult to clean.
2 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 11:30AM
PRO
Risner Cabinetry
That would be a job to remove everything and to put it back without breaking anything. Imagine the mess along with it just for tile. I would suggest putting accent pieces where the four corners meet; this way the installer only has to cut in the pieces. That's a lot easier, cleaner, and cheaper.
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 12:06PM
Calikath
@ironwood...thanks! @wmpj..the current kitchen (pictured) cabinets are as about as bad as they come! Looks good, but not up close...real reason for remodel...and we chose to get rid of the soffits to raise the new cabinets and the new island will be 1 level (instead of 3). Better for entertaining. Adding new appliances (since they are 10 years old; donating them) and new 72" frig/freez will be where the current ovens are. @Marilyn...getting new honed granite counters. @ Carolyn..travertine is hard to keep clean in a kitchen; always feels dirty (okay for nook and other areas in the house). @Risner..I'm redoing the floor plan of the current kitchen so I thought this would be the time to replace the floors as well! Thanks everyone!!!!
1 Like   January 28, 2013 at 12:35PM
Marilyn Wilkie
Kathy, it sounds like a wonderful adventure. Please keep us updated on your choices and progress. How exciting.
1 Like   January 28, 2013 at 12:45PM
PRO
Vikrant Sharma Homez
The flooring looks too Rustic .
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 12:50PM
Calikath
@Marilyn...thanks and I will...@Vikrant..thanks and I'll keep that in mind when choosing.
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 12:56PM
PRO
MarbleWarehousecom
Brezilian green honed or cleft slate tile can be good idea for this flooring.
2 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 3:23PM
cmorante
We bought a house with the flooring you are looking into. I find that it clashes with my grAnite because it looks too busy.
1 Like   January 31, 2013 at 1:27AM
PRO
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
I actually like a floor that has a pattern, but fear that the tiles in your picture are too small for the space and will look "choppy". I would not go smaller than the example below for the large space you have.

[houzz=
]
1 Like   January 31, 2013 at 3:58AM
michigammemom
The floor you propose looks like a cleaning nightmare because of the rough texture. This is definitely not a kitchen floor that you can easily damp mop.
0 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 4:05AM
Calikath
@cmorante...thanks for the advice! @Deborah...I love this look...is this travertine? Color? @marblewarehouse.com...I like this idea too. Thanks everyone for great feedback!
0 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 8:27AM
PRO
Rustico Tile and Stone
To really add to the traditional European style, I would suggest Saltillo Spanish Terracotta tile in the Manganese or Antique Finishes. It really adds a unique and gorgeous splash of color to any interior style and decor. It would really compliment the hardwood you have in the living area and its low maintenance. It's also very durable and super easy to clean. At Rustico Tile and Stone, we offer affordable wholesale pricing and we ship all over the world. Check out our Ideabooks here on Houzz or visit our website at http://www.saltillotileconnection.com/ for more visual ideas. I can guarantee you won't be disappointed.
1 Like   January 31, 2013 at 8:33AM
apple_pie_order
Cinderella cleaned stone floors on her hands and knees. Rough stone is not a good thing for floors.
0 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 8:43AM
cmorante
But what is the best way to clean it if you already have it?
0 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 9:10AM
apple_pie_order
@cmorante, you might try a Hoover Floormate. It has the Cinderella brushes but also vacuums the water off after scrubbing.
0 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 9:18AM
cmorante
Thank you, that looks nice bur should I use a steam cleaner with vacuum? Also, would "right white" painted cabinets look nice with that floor if my granite is off white based...ie...is it ok to have the floor, cabinets and granite all light?
0 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 9:41AM
PRO
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
The company that originally posted the picture I shared has not answered the question on the tile. It appears to be a travertine.
1 Like   January 31, 2013 at 10:29AM
apple_pie_order
@cmorante: I suggest you start a new discussion for questions about your own kitchen. If you post photos, you will usually get more responses.
0 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 11:11AM
PRO
Rustico Tile and Stone
For a Travertine look tile, we also carry a stone tile called Cantera Tile. It's similar to Travertine and Limestone, but its more durable, skid resistant and it's cost-effective. We offer several different shapes and sizes to your choosing, along with several different color variations. You can look at more information and pictures by going to the following link: http://www.saltillotileconnection.com/cantera. Here are a couple of examples of what Cantera tile looks like:
1 Like   January 31, 2013 at 11:12AM
PRO
Rustico Tile and Stone
And here are a couple more different color variations of the Cantera Stone Tile:
0 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 11:15AM
PRO
Ancient Surfaces
Your option is straight forward Here's what I propose you select. It's the authentic Ancient Biblical Stone flooring pavers. They are calibrated in thickness so you won't have a thickness discrepancy when installing them next to the existing stone. 5/8" thick.
1 Like   February 3, 2013 at 7:15AM
Calikath
@ancient surfaces...love it...how hard is it to clean?
1 Like   February 3, 2013 at 10:54AM
PRO
Cancork Floor Inc.
Cork glue down tile would do the same thing without all the fuss of cleaning! That tile looks beautiful but I feel like you are choosing it for the colour.

There are many other flooring types that incorporate these colours/feel without having to work with such difficult materials.

Just a thought.
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 11:14AM
Tammy Cattarin
Carry the wood in to the kitchen- we love having hard wood in our kitchen and it is timeless!
1 Like   February 3, 2013 at 11:24AM
PRO
Ancient Surfaces
Thanks Calikath. It is maintenance FREE a breeze to clean when let's say oil or an egg get's splashed on it. I absorbs nothing! It is one of the hardest limestone to be found in nature. 20 years selling the Biblical Stone and not even one single customer complaint! Here's more from our online gallery: http://www.ancientsurfaces.com/Biblos-Stone.html
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 6:49PM
Calikath
@tammy...I think you are the winner!~ We may go ahead and put the cherry in the kitchen..finally me and my husband both like the idea~!! Easy to clean, blends well, timeless and beautiful!!!! Winner!?! All others seem to either be harder to keep clean or look clean or just don't blend with the rest of the house/floors...Thanks you everyone for your very helpful feedback...keep you posted on the progress.
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 8:22PM