Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
guest room needs new purpose
tribotti
January 28, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We have a guest bedroom which doesn't serve us well. Currently it holds 2 dressers, a winged chair, a trundle bed and a bookcase. The chair and carpet are pink, the walls green. The room is also the closet for one of the couple. We'd like to use air mattresses when we do have guests but the rest of the time get better use out of it. We enjoy reading, love libraries, and do genealogy and puzzle making. The house already has an office and a sewing studio in addition to this bedroom.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Casey
If you decide to nix the guest bed, I would recommend getting a nice trunk to store an air mattress and guest blankets in. They have great trunks that double as coffee tables.
January 28, 2013 at 11:23AM     
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
It seems you have all the rooms you need. How about a home gym?
January 28, 2013 at 11:26AM     
PRO
Vikrant Sharma Homez
What is your family size and what age are the kids, so you can plan the change around them .
January 28, 2013 at 11:32AM     
tribotti
The children are all grown up and even the grand-children are too busy to stay with us these days. So it is just the two of us.
January 28, 2013 at 1:46PM   
orangecamera
For your genealogy, how about a large (entire wall?) corkboard so you can post pictures and documents of your ancestors and current family members. You could link them into a family tree using ribbon.
January 28, 2013 at 1:56PM     
PRO
Jayne Bunce Design
How about a library with built-ins and 2 comfy chairs, and ottoman and reading lamps. There could be storage built in all the way around the room, which could include space to the increase the efficiency of the existing closet if needed, storage for guests, and storage for air beds. I have stayed as a guest in a Gothic inspired library and it is fantastic! I would just make sure that when you determine where the air bed goes, you have pull out "trays" in the built ins to create a "table" for a clock, book or a glass of water on each side for both guests:)
January 28, 2013 at 2:07PM     
judianna20
A round table in the middle of the room, with comfy chairs around it. Paint the room a lovely gray and wallpaper the biggest wall with this:
January 28, 2013 at 4:11PM   
Tammy Sprinkle
A library with a table and 2 comfy chairs would be really nice. Add to that a side table for between the chairs and a floor lamp that can be moved over to the table where puzzle making will happen. I've attached a photo of a closet turned built in bookcase. The walls should be a calming color and laminate flooring would be a nice choice. It's very easy maintenance and highly durable and comes in all sorts of looks. Add a stereo and you are all set.
January 28, 2013 at 4:53PM     
Danita Clanton
Depending on how much money you have to spend. For a couple of hundred dollars you could start with a fresh coat of paint... new bedding and more pillows to make the day bed more couch like. I would paint the bed. Add a larger lamp. declutter the book cases...maybe invest in new ones. Move the dresser, coat rack, small book shelf, Chair and ottoman out...add a desk and some art work. Some other ideas...If the window is centered on the one wall (the one with the bed) you could do builtins on either side and a window seat under the window. Add some crown molding. Also if you can't afford to replace the carpet maybe buy a nice big sisal rug. They are fairly inexpensive.
Have fun!!!
January 28, 2013 at 8:58PM   
PRO
slaah
Now need for the chierwing ,yuo can use only the tow dress library can be inside the dress cubords ,the clour is not matching the crpets you use deim clours this make the room verry crouded.you can use light gray peants in the walls
January 28, 2013 at 9:01PM   
PRO
slaah
Now need for the chierwing ,yuo can use only the tow dress library can be inside the dress cubords ,the clour is not matching the carpets you use deim clours this make the room verry crouded.you can use light gray peants in the walls
January 28, 2013 at 9:04PM   
fairyk

Hi you you can spend just a 3-4 hundred dollors to change you guest room into a library and guest room both.Just change a paint with white color , and add color wall hangings and paintings, with coloful bed sheets.make a shelves for books and bed like in picture , it can also be used to for reading and sleeping purpose for guests too.
Good luck for your guest room.
January 29, 2013 at 8:37AM     
heiduchi
Get a nice sofa bed, nice corner cabinet for a T.V., an ottoman or table, I like ottomans because you can put away things specially if the top flips to a tray, a chair with a side table, this can be used for guests, extra quiet spot for anyone, this is what I have done for my spare room, I din't add a dresser because we did a closet organizer. I love it, we are still waiting for our furnisher to arrive, I purchased two square ottomans, take a look at it in La Z Boy, its the Leo and I did it in leather, it easier to clean, also the chair is a recliner Riley High Leg and my sofa bed is the Metro Supr. Hope this helped. I hope you can see the picture, good luck with you're room :-)
January 29, 2013 at 11:49AM   
nasmijati
From what you have said this room seems to "want" to be a library with a table for doing puzzles, and some kind of storage/display for genealogy.

If this was my space, I would remove the trundle bed. I would put the short bookcase on top of the dresser (both pushed up against a wall to avoid tipping over). Use the short bookcase for puzzles. Puzzles are lightweight and easier to handle than books in a high space. Empty the dresser and use it for storing genealogy materials. Put the little nightstand next to the wing chair. Keep your reading glasses there. Bring in another comfortable chair and a drop-leaf table that will be large enough when opened for doing puzzles and working on genealogy. You may have to get a couple of floor lamps - the kind with reading lamps attached to the poles. Get the kind with gooseneck reading lamps if you can find them.

That is what I would do. Other Houzzers will have many more ideas. Take from this what you will.
January 29, 2013 at 12:57PM     
PRO
slaah
I like fairyk comment
January 29, 2013 at 10:52PM   
kroze
It does seem like you are wanting some form of library which would be great.

However, because the closet is being used by one of you for clothes, it would appear that the master bedroom is short on closets but nearby to this little room. Another idea would be to convert the room into a large closet/dressing room and free up your mstr closet for other use....... possibly a small reading nook. A large walk in closet has a lot of versatility and design options.
January 30, 2013 at 5:50AM     
bunny_foofoo
You are so lucky you already have a craft room, which was my first thought! I gave up my guest room for a studio. Guest twice a year vs use of a studio every day was a no brainer for me. Since you enjoy reading you probably have collected many books. A library may be the way to go for the most use from this space. Have fun!
January 30, 2013 at 6:27AM   
ddelora
I have the same problem, wherein our 1 spare bedroom is only used about 3 times a year for guests. The rest of the time, it's used for various projects. On the dresser/wing chair wall, perhaps a fold-up murphy bed would work beautifully. Around the closet, I would install floor-to-ceiling (and across the top) shelving, creating an entire library wall. In front of the wall of windows, place a folding table and comfy chairs/storage ottomans. They also make chairs that fold out to beds, when needed. Search the internet for murphy bed options, fold-out bed chairs, and storage ottomans.
January 30, 2013 at 7:01AM     
Susan Chandlee
What is on the other side of the closet? Is it possible to make the closet accessed via an adjacent room? Sounds as if everyone here agrees to a library type room. I liked the suggestion of the trunk to house the blow up matresses.
January 30, 2013 at 7:17AM   
PRO
slaah
Isugestted to be acubord this willgive you space inyour room and the hall home to hide any thing that your not inneed,allpeople now adays they are notlooking to the library computer done every thing
January 30, 2013 at 8:16AM   
PRO
slaah
Susanchandlee /Isugestted to be acubord this willgive you space inyour room and the hall home to hide any thing that your not inneed,allpeople now adays they are notlooking to the library computer done every thing
January 30, 2013 at 8:19AM   
mmunro57
I would replace the daybed with a murphy bed built into the wall, with a cork board on the underside to pin up your geneology information. A drop leaf table would work for puzzles and can be moved into a corner when the room is needed as a guest room. Instead of regular chairs, use the wing chairs at the table. Shelves for books, puzzles and your geneology records, an area rug and a couple of nice lamps or hanging swags should finish it off.
January 30, 2013 at 10:28AM     
Pam Sonnier
If room is appropriate size: 1. Sell day bed and chair. 2. Put a "Murphy" bed on the solid wall (where chair & chest are currently). Search web to see variety of styles, sizes, stains, etc., that these come in. 3. The lg. shelf can be turned on its side (add shelves to break up each space) and placed under window where daybeds is. Push it to corner. 4. Place small bookcase on top of new repurposed shelf, forming a sleepy L shape. These two pieces of furniture should be of same color. Accessorize shelves and top. 5. Take closet doors down and convert to library. 6. Move chest where lg. shelf unit is currently and place nice lamp on top with a few stacked books to side. 7. If not investing in new flooring, purchase a patterned area rug to be placed over current carpet. 7. Select neutral color from carpet and repaint walls. 8. Place small round table and chairs in center of room. 9. Make certain to have great overhead lighting for table. Good luck.
January 30, 2013 at 10:56AM     
PRO
Aegean Designing Whims
I love the idea of bookcases to make a library and some of the photos attached look super. I'd also agree with getting a sofa bed so you can use the room on a daily basis. Chrysteen
January 30, 2013 at 11:17AM   
PRO
Millers Murphy Beds and Home Offices
I would think that a Library Murphy Bed is the way to go it would solve a couple of different problems,
when you slide the two center bookcases to either side the murphy bed comes down from the center and now you have a guest bed and when put away a library it also has storage on either side for whatever and a drop down table could be installed in one of the side cabinets.

Call if you would like more info. 941-743-2337
January 30, 2013 at 11:21AM     
kroze
Wow! Thanks for that Library Murphy Bed post. It is a fabulous use of space!
January 30, 2013 at 12:11PM   
PRO
Jones Sales Team
Use the existing mattress on a platform (like a window seat) lots of pillows. Add shelving all around. Or check out Hoosier Wall Beds. They can build to your dimensions. The bed can fold up on the short side or the long side. It is totally custom. Very well done.
January 30, 2013 at 2:52PM   
retiredbp2
I agree with several of Pam Sonnier's suggestions: If room is appropriate size: 1. Sell day bed and chair. 2. Put a "Murphy" bed on the solid wall (where chair & chest are currently), and I'd like to see shelves built-in with a bedside table at the appropriate height added. 3. Place small bookcase on top of dresser-these two pieces of furniture should be of same color. 4. Take closet doors down and convert to library shelves and desktop (countertop) with bulletin board on the back wall above the desktop and wallpapered or painted with a contrasting color/pattern. If wallpaper is selected, I would look for matching fabric to make curtains or valance for the window (can be ordered from wallpaper books). 5. Select neutral color, like gray, from carpet and repaint walls. 6. Place small round table and chairs in center of room. 7. Make certain to have great overhead lighting for table. I have changed some of what she listed and added some of my own ideas, and renumbered them. I would also like to see you pick a third color or combine the pink and gray with one pattern to bring the room alive, to make it a great room to be used as a combo library, geneology and puzzle room.
Have fun with your project, and good luck!
January 30, 2013 at 8:03PM   
brookiecookie77
great library idea that would be really nice... maybe repaint and find different curtains to match. dont change the rug its pretty nutral with a nice patteren
January 30, 2013 at 8:19PM   
PRO
slaah
She said its gests room no need of patren in it cubord is good for gestes clothes and bags
January 30, 2013 at 8:56PM   
PRO
slaah
Brookiecookie/iprefer rug should put ot side the gests room
January 31, 2013 at 1:21AM   
PRO
slaah
Brookicooki77/ifgreat libaray will be nice +the rug ,bed shoud removed out side ,tow chiers with midim table should be pout in side the room to be redding room
January 31, 2013 at 1:37AM   
Leanne Lovie
You could have a guest library, Leave the daybed or build a window seat. Load it with pillows to make a comfy reading area. Line the walls with bookcases. Set up your wingback with a reading light. Get a drop leaf table for those puzzles and genealogy. No need to fuss with air mattresses when you have guests, but furnished in a way you'd actually use.
January 31, 2013 at 1:58AM     
PRO
slaah
Leanne lovie / i like your idea thank you
January 31, 2013 at 2:33AM   
robsoncr
We added a Murphy bed to a den and it has work well for us! It allows my older parents to stay on a real mattress in comfort. It keeps the space open in the room and allows for lots of other activities to go in the room. It's a get away for anyone that wants to watch a different show or read a book or work on the computer.
January 31, 2013 at 6:54PM   
mugsy1703
I get the idea that you are looking to use this room for personal entertainment. You stated you already have an office and sewing room. It sounds like you are getting on in years as you have older grandchildren. Grandparent to grandparent ... I would suggest you start downsizing and not adding another room with more STUFF or you (or your family) will be faced with the difficult task of having to sort through all that STUFF if you have to move to a smaller place.
February 1, 2013 at 2:24AM   
tribotti
Dear Grandparent,
Thank you for your suggestion. It was a wake-up call! We try to always keep the STUFF issue in mind but we missed the boat on this one! I knew there was something wrong with this picture (besides d├ęcor) but I couldn't figure out what. Sometimes its a challenge to keep life rich and enjoyable with hobbies, etc. and still remain aware of the (not too distant) future.
February 1, 2013 at 8:32AM     
tribotti
Thanks to everyone who contributed ideas! What a wonderful resource this is! I especially like the ideas for a place to pin all the genealogy documents and pictures and am taking one wall in the sewing studio to do that. Also liked the ideas about Murphy beds and area rug and a trunk. The ideas for building in more shelves floor to ceiling were great too and if we were younger and still collecting we'd do it. But alas...... see the comment above.
February 1, 2013 at 8:44AM     
kroze
Tribotti
One other little factor to consider in the overall scheme of things.........
What would add value to your homestead and make it more sellable by your heirs? Now is a good time to give it something that would give an edge in the housing market. You could make small adjustments that you would enjoy personally AND add value.

As I was recently in the housing market, searching for a home, I saw that there were things which definitely perked my interest in a house. That is why I suggested in an earlier post that converting the room into a dressing room/closet was a possibility. Younger folks are looking for lots of closets and storage. If your home is small and has limited storage, this might give it a sellable edge. As with any other remodeling venture, neighborhood home values should play a role in your expenditures.
February 1, 2013 at 11:54AM   
ruthieq
I have this library Murphy bed in my guest room. this allows me room for my studio,sewing, craft and reading, etc room. The library /bed sticks out only about 2 ft from the wall. The over all size of the room is 15 ft x 12 ft. I have a closet with an old dresser in it, this gives me room for storage and for a guest to hang their things or put them in the draws of the dresser, it also allows for storage of linens. My sewing machine doubles as a writing desk with a bench type stool to fit under it I also have a nice wing back chair with a small table beside it on one wall. On the closet wall I also have built in cabnets that hold most things when I have visiters. I get complements all the time about what a nice guest room I have. if they only knew what else is in there. PS I have a small TV hanging on the wall above the wing backed chair it plays VHS only as I don't have a cable or satalite hook up.( we do just fine without the TV hook ups.)
February 2, 2013 at 5:34PM   
Colette Smith
Turn this room into a den if you arent using all the books, trim them down to the basics and the small book case and get rid of the big book case, get a nice sort of chair bed that will go with your country theme so if you have guests then they can sleep there. Tone down the frill a bit and make it more of a guest area what would you want in your guest room when visiting
February 8, 2013 at 3:35PM