Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
How Do I Dress My Angled Windows?
juliawells
January 28, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I am having a hard time trying to come up with a way to dress my angled windows in my master bedroom. I was thinking drapes to add some softness and pattern, but not sure how to logistically hang them with the angles. I also want to block the sun, which rises on this side of the house, making the room quite warm during the summer... Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
It's a fabulous window. Really hard to dress it without loosing some of the view. I would either leave it as is, but add Vista Window Film to remove the heat, but maintain your view..it really works. Then add softness with pattern in the room elsewhere using pattern and plush pillows. Draperies would just look wrong. Swoopy things make me nauseous..better without. A tailored option would be a lined fabric custom roman shade. The side pieces (inside mount) could have the top angled and they could pull up (with folds) to where the top of the short side of the side windows are located. In the center I would hang one from the top of the top window section that could drop to the sill.
1 Like   January 28, 2013 at 12:13PM
PRO
PH Interiors, LLC
Here is one approach. Hunter Douglas can make custom Silhouettes to fit the angled windows. Then a simple pair of drapery panels hung from medallions with a tieback to soften all the angles and open your view.
3 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 12:33PM
putter2
With that view?? I wouldn't do a thing!
4 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 12:41PM
judianna20
NOT A THING…I WOULD TAKE THE CORAL AND SAILBOAT OFF THE SILL. YOU CAN'T BEAT THAT VIEW.
1 Like   January 28, 2013 at 12:46PM
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
You should be able to hang 4 drapery panels using finials. You'll probably have to have them custom made to hang properly.
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 12:46PM
juliawells
Thank you for your comment, Barbara! I hadn't heard of Vista Window Film before, but after watching a demonstrative video on YouTube just now, this could definitely be an option (if it's available in my area, of course). As for the drapes, what I had originally envisioned when designing the windows was a rod across the top of the middle window with two panels on either side, and one of three options for the sides; either some sort of dummy rod on just the sides of the two angled windows with a stationary panel on the outer sides, or an angled rod going up towards the middle window and somehow (hooking?) the two drapes closed when needed, or to mount the rods for the side windows straight across just to where the angles start (just slightly above the top mullion). I hope I'm describing this in a way that's understandable! :o) As for the roman blinds, I find that even when fully pulled up, they still block too much of the window for my liking, or at least I think they would in this case. I want to keep as much view as possible!! ;o) I would certainly appreciate any comments on my drapery ideas... If neither idea is suitable, I would probably consider leaving them as is and, like you said, adding a film.
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 12:51PM
PRO
I just added a photo to my posting above, having forgotten to do it earlier. You will need to click on the photo to enlarge it in order to see the finials.
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 12:58PM
juliawells
Wow! Didn't see the other comments before posting! Oooooh... I do like the look of the silhouettes! I'm guessing this option could be quite pricey? And Judy, I will agree with the you about the view--CAN'T BEAT IT! I consider myself very lucky... :o) Carolyn, I only know finials to be the decorative ends available for the rods. So, I'm not quite sure what you mean. Can you explain? Thank you all!
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 1:03PM
saraj11357
I really love the look that PH Interiors, LLC proposed for your window, it looks lovely! And I think with the view you have, if you have the room build a window seat there in front of your window I could sit there all day! Or 2 chairs and a table! Love this!
1 Like   January 28, 2013 at 1:03PM
dbaune
If you must add blinds, I'd leave the top triangles as is, and install pleated blinds, roller blinds or solar shades only on the two lower window panes. (Pleated blinds or roller shades will have a lower vertical profile when open that other blinds, so will be a BIT less noticeable. You'll want blinds that are as small as possible when open, and will want to be sure the blinds line up exactly with the top horizontal line of the window panes. If you don't like the look of the bare blinds once they're up, you could install a narrow white board (e.g. 2" high) like an inside mount valance across each blind so they're hidden when open, but I'd try the plain blinds first. HINT: Although your trim is white, note that white or off white solar shades tend to block the view when down. Black solar shades really show the view, even when down, so are used by many beach clubs and waterfront properties. If you go with black, you may need the white valance.
1 Like   January 28, 2013 at 1:06PM
juliawells
Thanks Carolyn! Where would be the best place to look for this kind of finial? Judy, I will now relocate my coral and sailboat in case it looks tacky... But It does look kinda nice when you're looking up at the house from a boat though! ;o)
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 1:12PM
PRO
What I called finials are more frequently called drapery medallions, so if you Google that term, you will find plenty. However, I do think you'll need a professional drapery workroom to create the angled draperies for you. Straight ones will not hang properly from angled medallions. The drapery workroom will also have sources for medallions. A lot of workrooms work only through designers, but I think that J.C. Penney or Calico Corners could do this for you.
1 Like   January 28, 2013 at 1:27PM
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
Personally, I would go with the film. Vista is available in almost all areas. There are other film companies..not all really good..I have had quite a bit of experience with Vista representatives when I lived in Charleston, SC and here in Florida for clients. They also have good warranties.
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 2:38PM
juliawells
Thanks everyone for your input! Greatly appreciated!
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 8:06PM
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
Custom Hunter Douglas Silhouette blinds would fit perfectly in the window and look amazing.
http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/blinds-toronto/hunter-douglas/silhouette-toronto.html
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 7:53AM
PRO
STUDIO MB
If you have the space, treat it like an alcove.. Come out about 2 feet, and install two panels mounted to the ceiling tied back. When you want to block out the light just untie the panels and it will be a drape wall to wall. In the alcove put in a bench with lots of pillows. Here's a pic, much larger than your space but similar idea. Anyway, its the most problematic design challenge ever!
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 8:06AM