Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Ideas for Rug and Curtain color/design
svetik74
January 28, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I am almost done with renovating and redisgning of our living room but am torn as to what color/design to use for the curtains and an area rug. As you can see the color scheme is light gray-fuchsia-white. I wanted to go for a shag rug at first, now I am not too sure. Any ideas are much welcomed and appreciated!!!!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Oriental Weavers
What a fun space! My immediate reaction was WOW! Prime example of a good home for our new "Kaleidoscope" collection available this coming Spring. The attached photos are a few examples that would finish the space nicely. Check out the rest of the collection on our profile page! Love how daring you are with the pink accents! Turned out BEAUTIFULLY!
3 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 12:47PM
PRO
Vikrant Sharma Homez
look up for rugs at sterling rugs on Houzz.
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 1:00PM
mpoulsom
here's another to check out, sorry i can't download the pic (look up zoostores.com or Artistic Weavers has it as well, and search for Surya Carpet 529 Bombay Rug) and then one other to consider....pictured here.

Love your room! and the shelving on that wall is perfecto! :)
2 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 1:30PM
mpoulsom
one more comment...if you wanted to do the shag rug still, I would do a charcoal gray shag rug....or white if you are super duper clean household! ;)
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 1:32PM
mpoulsom
ok i found a pic, but i think it's going to be a tiny one of the first rug suggestion.
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 1:35PM
Darzy
I see a little orange in your art and table...too much? :)

1 Like   January 28, 2013 at 1:38PM
dbaune
Have a carpet store cut and bind a shag rug for you that's a quarter round wedge. Place the right angle side under the sofa, with the curved edge into the room. I did this with a sectional in my home, and people went nuts for the rug. It will let your hardwood floors show, add a curve to help soften the room, and makes the sectional seem cozy. We LOVED the linen colored shag we had under our sofa.
1 Like   January 28, 2013 at 1:39PM
PRO
Jayne Bunce Design
Love the 3rd and 4th rugs in the first post. Make sure you purchase the largest rug you can for the room so that it goes under the sectional and "anchors" the furniture. Otherwise it will look skimpy and not very welcoming. Shag is a good choice is you need to keep costs down but this room could look sensational with a colored patterned "art" rug.

Love your adventuresome use of color! For the draperies, what are you trying to achieve: sun control, privacy, or purely decorative elements? Perhaps charcoal or white in the drapery panels. I would keep them simple and let the rug and the accent pillows sing. Make sure they touch the floor, not like the current ones.

One problem I see is that the fireplace hearth is too close to the sectional. Can you lose the white cabinet and pull the furniture away from the fireplace. (A drafted furniture plan of the space could have avoided this problem.)

I would loose the pink mantel. Looks too "hello Kitty" to me. How about a soft grey or charcoal to match the drapery panels instead?

Pull colors for other accents from the area rug and find a huge piece of art - well lit of course- for that big bare wall. Vver the mantel, I like the greenery but bigger, taller and more, spilling out over the edges. Loose the round clock too. I love the art, could you put a large frame - silver leaf, for example, around it to give it more heft and scale?

Great start. SOOOO fun!!
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 1:57PM
svetik74
Thanks to all for your input!!! A few things:
1. mpoulsom: amazing, but I've looked at this one a few months ago, as it seemed to fit in!
2. Darzy: orange is a bit too much, plus, I my bedroom is orange, white, and light green. But Thank you!!!
3. Jayne Bunce: thank you for the suggestions regarding art and the mantle. The room is still raw (meaning the things are not in their permanent places, like the clock, plants, and the curtains were put up because the door was replaced, the blinds removed and my mom wanted some privacy. Plus, I didn't want to purchase curtains before the sectional's arrival to the unit).

I have narrowed down the choice of rugs to 4. I am going to attach them to this post. If you can just look at them and see which one you think would fit right without overpowering the room. And one more thing: there will be a large armchair that is being reupholstered put in the corner next to the bookcase. I am also attaching its picture for the reference.

Thank you again!!!!
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 10:17AM
svetik74
sorry, here's the armchair
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 10:19AM
svetik74
let me add two more choices
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 10:37AM
mpoulsom
ok, of the 4....I love the first one, but it doesn't look gray enough to me. may be my monitor though??? It looks more taupe than gray and everything else looks gray gray. and of course i'm going to pick the 4th one as another choice!! lol! I think the big flower rug is awesome with all of your other stuff, plus adds a couple of different colors into the equation. (glad you found a bigger pic of it, plus I noticed that you can get that rug in different shapes, sizes and even a runner that has more of the background white in it w/ 2 flowers cut in half on either side). That's just my 2 cents.
I still think I would use some charcoal gray in touches in the room as well. You could even paint your mantel the darker shade of gray if you think the pink mantel may be too much. :)
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 10:56AM
svetik74
Thank you very much!!! You are right, the first one's color is not really grey... Unfortunately, it is out. I am definitely leaning towards the flower. :))) Once everything comes together, I shall do before and after.... With appreciation.....
1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 11:05AM
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
I absolutely love the pillows if you can get a hold of the same fabric I would do 2 decorative panels on the door it would look amazing!!!
http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/drapery-toronto/panels/grommet-drapery.html
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 1:12PM
Darzy
I vote the 4th one.
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 9:37PM
pud07
I like the 3rd one :-)
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 10:40PM
mveasey
Have you heard of Flor tiles? Carpet tiles, that you can custom match, tons of colours and patterns...this will give you a much bigger rug than the standard ones.
1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 10:57PM
PRO
Apartment 46 for the Home
Flor tiles are amazing.
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 11:00PM