Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help for my nook!
kathyhornbeak
January 28, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I really don't know what to do with this.We recently bought this home and it came with some unusual design elements.This nook is the first thing you see when you enter the house.It measures 6"8" at the top of the arch.It is 30"wide and 28"deep.Thanks for all help.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Judy M
Is it deep enough to become a coat closet?
January 28, 2013 at 12:28PM     
PRO
Jonathan Hress Design
Nice floor. I would put a chest of drawers in the alcove. As wide as will fit. Use it for keys, gloves, Magazines. Maybe a little mirror above.
January 28, 2013 at 12:33PM   
wildfan
Built in shelving? A desk area for a laptop? Bookcase? Display something that is special to you? You could put a cool door on it and use it for storage. What did the previous owners use it for?
January 28, 2013 at 12:35PM   
PRO
Design & Decor By Shelley
I agree a chest of drawers and a mirror would look great..Another idea would be a built-in buffet style unit..
January 28, 2013 at 12:37PM     
putter2
All of the above.....great closet idea, but just a nice chest with a good painting above it. The spotlight might have too much reflection with a mirror....
January 28, 2013 at 12:38PM   
PRO
Vikrant Sharma Homez
Why not a Altar .
January 28, 2013 at 12:39PM   
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
I love Jonathan Hress Design idea of the chest of drawers..but it must fill the space, not be wimpy as the table is now. Also bulk is good..it could be on short legs or to the floor. I would hang a tall large, framed mirror over the chest. a beautiful large bowl on the top of the chest.
January 28, 2013 at 12:40PM   
PRO
Jonathan Hress Design
Thanks Shelley.
January 28, 2013 at 12:43PM   
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
My first thought was a large statue, but I also like the closet idea, with an arch top door.
Pat Gardiner
It looks like it was made to display art, like a statue. You could put a large plant or several items on staggered shelves/mix with a narrow table or chest which would give a place for gloves and hats. Add a bowl or two for keys and change. What you have in there in the pic looks like a bad fit. If you really want something stunning you could put in a water feature or an electric fireplace (the ones available these days are very realistic).
PRO
Jonathan Hress Design
For the person who is religious, An altar would be interesting, But it would have to be well done.
January 28, 2013 at 12:46PM   
PRO
Dytecture
If this nook is by the entry, perhaps a small bench would be ideal.

January 28, 2013 at 12:50PM     
njmomma
wine, wine and more wine. A great place for a wine closet.
January 28, 2013 at 12:59PM     
Judy M
Plenty of great ideas here, I guess it depends on which one fits your needs best.
January 28, 2013 at 1:05PM   
MAlps
I would put up a pretty marble shelf and display something beautiful. Or you can put a really large and special painting.
January 28, 2013 at 1:08PM   
Sean Franklin
A nice cabinet or drawer piece for the bottom half and maybe a grid wine rack for the rest? And, if feasible, stone veneer on the exterior wall, all the way up to the ceiling. You could wrap the stone around if you like, but it wouldn't be necessary.
January 28, 2013 at 1:12PM   
nikitasmom
I like the chest idea but you may have a problem finding one to fill the space and it should be pulled forward so it doesn't feel like you are walking into a closet. To give it a built in look go to a stoneyard and get a remnant piece of granite or marble etc cut to 30"x28" and lay it on top. Use a couple of braquets on the back wall for support.
January 28, 2013 at 1:27PM   
kathyhornbeak
Thanks so much! Great advice! The small bench looks great in the picture,though my depth is 28". Will a deeper bench look cave-like?Love the wine closet but worried about it being the first thing you
see at the entrance.We could use another front closet,so I will definitely look into that.
January 28, 2013 at 1:56PM   
movethisnotthat
thought I'd include some pictures for you, maybe one of these will inspire you
January 28, 2013 at 2:02PM   
kathyhornbeak
This is tough, but I think the chest of drawers would work the best.Thanks
January 28, 2013 at 2:07PM   
Sean Franklin
Picture of the idea I was talking about. Not everything, of course, but great texture for the area. Mediterranean Wine Cellar design by Los Angeles Architect Compassionate Arts International
January 28, 2013 at 2:13PM   
PRO
Scott Design, Inc.
Consider a self-contained water feature in the form of a water wall, tall sculpture, etc.
January 28, 2013 at 2:26PM     
lionnessone
My first thought is to convert it into a wine fridge with a cast iron door with dark glass or a stain glass door so when you open the door a light will come on automatically. Then I thought you just might consider a sitting space with a built in bench or hutch with a tall mirror. Every front entrance should have a mirror placed somewhere so you can check yourself before leaving or returning home.
January 28, 2013 at 2:28PM   
peetsoo
If it were my home I would get a really cool door made out of wood and use it as a closet or just for storage.....I think it would make for cleaner lines and draw the eye to the dining room..........
January 28, 2013 at 2:55PM