Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
At a crossroads with color
Kelly Tays
January 28, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I've painted my kitchen walls a dark grey on the bottom with a light blue grey on top. I can't figure out what to paint my cabinets. I was thinking white but I'm afraid that if I choose that it will make the light blue grey feel washed out.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Frank Webb's Bath and Lighting Center
white is always a good choice with grey but you could also do black!
January 28, 2013 at 12:33PM   
PRO
Vikrant Sharma Homez
Try Decorators White
January 28, 2013 at 12:36PM   
Darzy
Can you show picutures of the entire space? Floor? furniture? All the cabinets?
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
Definitely white!
dbaune
I hate to say this, but I think the light blue/gray is going to feel washed out no matter what you do. It may also feel quite "cold", especially if you get stainless appliances. Is your style "transitional" (e.g. you like the older cabinets, but want a newer feel), or are you trying to go more modern? If your room is small, you might try different shades of the gray on the bottom (e.g one shade lighter on the upper wall, and two shades lighter on the cabinets. Everything would blend well, and the room should look larger if you have less contrast. If it's a large room, you might try a color that compliments the darker gray on the bottom, but would feel warmer, e.g. a creamy yellow, with ivory cabinets, or a terra cotta (e.g. Benjamin Moore's Audubon Russet). If you love the light blue grey, try the cabinets the darker gray or one shade lighter. With the grays, you may want brushed nickel hardware on the cabinets.
January 28, 2013 at 12:39PM   
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
White will actually make your light blue grey stand out more.
January 28, 2013 at 1:14PM     
Kelly Tays
I hate the whole kitchen but I"m trying to work with what I got. The cabinets are circa 1960's and they are need of some paint or stain. If you notice in the picture there is a glass door cabinet which I was going to paint the inside something bold to make it pop and I was going to do the trim of that cabinet the dark grey from the bottom. I am so afraid that I will be bringing waaaay too many different colors into the space though. I really hate to have to paint the top over again although it wasn't my favorite color. My husband would kill me if I painted the top over again! LOL although I"m tempted with the creamy yellow and ivory cabinets!
January 28, 2013 at 1:14PM   
PRO
Frank Webb's Bath and Lighting Center
I would do the cabinets inside and out in white and then use colorful items displayed inside the glass cabinet to make your pop of color
January 28, 2013 at 1:19PM     
njmomma
I probably would have done the whole wall in the darker color. White cabinets, cream yellow patterned wall paper in the back of the cabinet wall.

Here is some inspiration:
January 28, 2013 at 1:21PM   
More Discussions
Need help with b'fast area in a small home
My daughter has a small 50's vintage florida home...
Biggest household bone of contention?
Is it the direction of the toilet paper? Someone leaves...
Wood floor stain issue!
We are having our floors stained with Bona Jacobean...
Granite seam MAKING ME ANGRY :( can it be improved?
just had granite installed today and the seam is pretty...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.