Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Den Layout
Janet Carmichael
January 28, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I need some help on laying out this room. The various entrances and doors make it difficult. The piano can move. I thought I'd put a TV above the fireplace but I've changed my mind so one of the chairs could move over there. I was going to add another accent chair there but I feel like I'm overcrowding the room.

The couch also seems very far away from the fireplace.

Clearly I need a rug and could use some advise there. Should I stay with a solid and if so, what color? Go neutral since the walls are so colorful?

I also need a coffee table but before I purchase that I want to figure out my layout.

Please help!

Thank you
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Dytecture
I would push the couch closer to the fireplace and the pair of chairs perpendicular to the couch and fireplace.

January 28, 2013 at 12:56pm   
Darzy
I think I'd modify your bookcase to put your television there sitting on the top of the cabinet. Then, just do couple of shelves on the top, all the way across. Most tv's can pivot on their stand. Then, since the sofa is far away from the fireplace, how about bringing forward and put a sofa table behind it? Then, you can flank the chairs with the firplace, angled facing the sofa/coffee table. PS...love your bold color!
January 28, 2013 at 1:16pm   
PRO
Curb Appeal Renovations
Agreed...I'd pull your sofa forward just as the two previous poster suggested. You can get a rug with a pattern, there isn't anything that says you need a solid color. You can also include some side chairs in the back corners to pull forward for additional seating when needed. I'd consider an ottoman for your coffee table...softer and also can be used as additional seating too!
January 28, 2013 at 1:25pm     
popeyefur
put your television above the fireplace and recess it in a built in . put your chairs on either side of the fireplace, angled in, bring your couch forward and get a rug to define the seating area. put a console table between the couch and the wall to bring it forward into the room.

alternatively, float the couch quite close to the fireplace (about where the chairs are now) so the walkway is between it and the wall
January 28, 2013 at 1:28pm   
2dogssashatess
Love the wall color and oramge in book shelves. One suggestion. How about making both of your white lamp shades the same shape, e.g. drums
January 28, 2013 at 1:30pm     
dbaune
Put the couch next to (perpendicular to) the sofa, with the two arm chairs opposite the sofa. Get a coffee table to place in between the two. Get an area rug to go under the sofa, chairs and coffee table, and be sure the rug goes at least one foot beyond the sofa and chairs on both sides. If you need a TV in the room, you could place a flat screen TV opposite the fireplace, either in a pop-up cabinet (where the TV rises from inside the cabinet only when you want to watch it), inside an entertainment cabinet, or mounted on the wall above a cabinet that's wider than the TV.
January 28, 2013 at 1:36pm     
If this room is a primary TV viewing area, decide the height for the screen that is comfortable for you.
January 28, 2013 at 1:48pm   
Janet Carmichael
Ok, a few comments:

I rearranged the furniture but I run into a problem. When I center the couch off the fireplace, the chair on the left gets too close to the door.

dbaune, I don't have a sofa so I'm unclear what you mean by putting the couch perpendicular to the sofa?

To be clear, we don't have to worry about a TV. I decided not to add one to this room. Sorry if I was confusing.
January 28, 2013 at 1:50pm     
popeyefur
i think then you may want to take the nicer chair, the one crowding the door, put it where the other one is, and maybe try moving that one back to where it was originally. if it doesn't fit, just keep the low arm chair, i think it's called a wingback, because it had a nicer shape
January 28, 2013 at 1:54pm   
PRO
Oriental Weavers
Love the color combinations! With such an eclectic space you can get away with a large patterned rug or go solid to make accessories pop. Here are a few suggestions...enjoy!
January 28, 2013 at 2:03pm     
thelmalouisemom
Try the sofa with the back to the book case and the two chairs opposite,facing the sofa. Love your furniture.
January 28, 2013 at 2:04pm     
Darzy
Can you put the two chairs in the "corner" in front of the bookcase?
January 28, 2013 at 2:04pm   
Darzy
This rug? Beautiful rug..

January 28, 2013 at 2:10pm   
Janet Carmichael
I did two versions. I can work on the couch by the bookcase too but here's some to look at

darzy - tell me if this is what you mean
January 28, 2013 at 2:11pm     
Janet Carmichael
Thinking yuk on this configuration plus I run into the chair crowding issue by the door.
January 28, 2013 at 2:15pm     
Janet Carmichael
Sphinx, do you carry those rugs. I've been looking for a while and I love those.

Darzy, I like that rug but the yellow couch is going to be orangey soon. I'll try to lay out the fabric so you can see it
January 28, 2013 at 2:19pm   
thelmalouisemom
WOW! Moving the sofa to the book case wall, and the chairs facing, really opened up your pathway. I think you may have a winner!!
January 28, 2013 at 2:23pm     
saraj11357
Is that a rug rolled up on the couch already? I like the couch in front and the chairs on either side! You can move the larger chair closer to the middle! But I also like the couch on one side and the chairs on the other!
January 28, 2013 at 2:24pm   
Darzy
I was thinking more like sort of "blocking" the bookcase doors and make an "L" with your chairs. The wing sort of straight on the wall next to the fireplace and the chair in front of the bookcase with your orange stool between. Enough to not block the traffic flow from the entry door there. Too tight?
January 28, 2013 at 2:32pm   
Darzy
PS..You'll need to move the FP tools on the other side of the FP.
January 28, 2013 at 2:35pm   
Darzy
This "second life" rug is beautiful. It looks collected and loved for many years.

January 28, 2013 at 2:41pm     
Janet Carmichael
OK, check this out. I didn't think you meant a direct L shape so take a peak at this. I pulled out the fabric that is going on the couch so you could see that a bit.
January 28, 2013 at 2:56pm     
nikitasmom
This last arrange Darzy suggested is my favorite. It seems to frame everything very well and looks inviting. I love that fabric with the rest of the room.
January 28, 2013 at 3:14pm     
Darzy
Yes, I like this. Do you? I'd move the couch back enough so it's "lined up" with the left side of the piano (or right side of door entry). I'm thinking something is needed on "this side" of the fireplace. :)
January 28, 2013 at 3:28pm   
Janet Carmichael
I do like it. OK, I know I sound really high maintenance, well, I am when it comes to design! Do you mean the back of the couch or the front of the couch lined up?

Also, how large of a rug should I get. Should it go all the way to the back of the couch? We're still thinking a console table behind correct?

Thanks so much for the help!
January 28, 2013 at 3:48pm   
carbroad
The orange in the wainscoting is too much, I would paint it out. Love it in the bookcase.
January 28, 2013 at 3:52pm   
Darzy
The front of the couch lined up. Enough so if you walked into the room from that door, you'd be able to walk through without running into the couch. Yes, I like the idea of a sofa table behind the couch if there is room. I'm also thinking a small accent chair on the left of the FP will round out the conversation area. If enough room, maybe even a small chair/ottoman.
Caelie Beige Linen Modern Lounge Chair
Hazelton Lounge Chair, Orange Paisley
January 28, 2013 at 3:58pm   
onecb1
Love your colors. I agree with the suggestions regarding the sitting. You can do a bigger patterened rug..It does not need to be solid.
January 28, 2013 at 4:01pm   
Darzy
carbroad may have a point about the orange in the wainscotting. I love it there, but your new fabric for the sofa is a more pastel orange and now makes the wainscott orange seem "off".
January 28, 2013 at 4:04pm   
onecb1
Ps..I like the second rug with the brown background Shpinx suggested . Its interesting looking. You do not want one particular thing to stand out. It needs to flow...That is why I think that rug would look awesome or something with a similar vibe. You really are getting it together though. Good job. :)
January 28, 2013 at 4:07pm   
PRO
Oriental Weavers
The rugs posted are all from our "Emerson" collection, which work well with your color scheme. You can find a store closest to you using our Retail Locator on our website www.owrugs.com. Or simply search online!
http://www.rugsusa.com/rugsusa/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=emerson

Good luck and have fun! We're excited to see the final transformation!
January 29, 2013 at 5:40am   
Janet Carmichael
Sphinx - thank you. I've already found a local retailer and will be ordering as soon as I figure out the right size! Do you have suggestions for how far back the rug should go to the couch. I plan on putting a console table behind it. Plus, since the outlets are behind the sofa and there's a walkway, I think I'll have to add a runner to tuck the cords. There are no outlets in the floor for me to use.

Thanks to everyone
January 29, 2013 at 5:50am   
PRO
Oriental Weavers
Here is a good guide on rug sizing:
http://www.owrugs.com/size-guide/

Six to twelve inches underneath sofa would frame the space nicely and help tie in the furniture pieces. Adding a runner is a great idea for behind sofa! Luckily we offer 2'x4' (1'10" x 3'3") or 2'x8' (1'10"x 7'6") runners in this collection!
January 29, 2013 at 6:25am   
PRO
Oriental Weavers
Another one of our favorites! (Huntley 19111)
January 29, 2013 at 6:32am   
onecb1
Nice..:)
January 29, 2013 at 6:48am   
Janet Carmichael
Sphinx - one more quick opinion question: do you think that the runner and rug should match or definitely not? I'm thinking not. I was thinking the second one for the rug, agreeing with onecb1, then the first for the runner. I have some pillows with chocolate backing so I like the brown in the second one to pull that out a tiny bit.

Thanks to all. It is SOOOO incredibly helpful to have the second sets of eyes!
January 30, 2013 at 3:48am   
PRO
Oriental Weavers
I wouldn't match them exactly. If they're from the same collection, they will have the same coloring and yarn. So they will definitely tie in well together! My vote: Have fun with it, and remember to post some after shots...would love to see the finishing touches!
January 30, 2013 at 5:44am   
Janet Carmichael
For those of you that kindly gave me a host of ideas, I wanted to show you the Before/After pics. Thanks to everyone who helped. It took a little while for it all to come together but I do love it.
April 9, 2013 at 3:13pm     
onecb1
Looks great. Good job. Thanks for showing the end result. :)
April 9, 2013 at 3:54pm   
carolq2
Love your room! Great job!
April 9, 2013 at 4:13pm   
PRO
Oriental Weavers
So cozy! Hope you enjoy your rug.. It looks great!
April 10, 2013 at 5:45am