Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need your help with rug & curtains for this bedroom
Sarah AM
January 28, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hi All,

Could you help me with suggestions on a rug or curtains? Any help would be really appreciated.
I feel like i really need to add some more character to the room!

Thank you :)
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Pat Gardiner
Wow, What a wonderful, romantic room! I love the soft lighting.
What about adding to that look with lots of sheers that pool on the floor and you need to break up all the solid colors with something. How about an area rug with a flower or bamboo type print. You also need accents like pictures on the walls, a large plant or two, tall vase with flowers of something soft like feathers in them. I'd love to see it finished.
January 28, 2013 at 2:16pm     
Sarah AM
Thank you for your suggestions - love the idea of sheers that pool on the floor and a patterned rug!
January 28, 2013 at 3:20pm   
Manon Floreat
I like the idea of a patterned rug as well. And a mirror above your dresser. Here's a collage that shows a Pottery Barn rug and curtains with a anitqued gold mirror. Maybe it will give you some ideas.
January 28, 2013 at 3:39pm     
njmomma
Manon Floreat, love your ideas for this room!!!!
January 28, 2013 at 4:09pm     
PRO
Pamela Tripas
If this were my pretty bedroom I would also add an upholstered bench at the foot of the bed. You can find one cheap and reupholster in a pretty fabric yourself quite easily.
January 28, 2013 at 4:12pm     
judianna20
Look as though you have already incorporated navy. Why not build on that?

January 28, 2013 at 4:15pm     
PRO
Pamela Tripas
Something like this
January 28, 2013 at 4:46pm   
PRO
BeyondFrames
I'm absolutely in love with the color palette of your bedroom !
I would go with silver, blues and cream/gold to add richness and warmth to your room.
Cream drapes for a clean, bright and airy impression, or dark grey to add drama. The sunburst I would hang above the bed. The framed paisley pattern, which I sell as a set of 3 - each frame having a different pattern of the same fabric, I would hang one under the other on the wall with the curtains.
January 28, 2013 at 6:27pm     
PRO
BeyondFrames
a patterned rug would really be a great addition
January 28, 2013 at 6:35pm   
Brooke Olson
You don't have any patterns in the room. I like the idea of a patterned rug or bringing in a geometric pattern in the drapes and possibly accent with some matching pillows on the bed.
January 28, 2013 at 7:05pm   
PRO
BeyondFrames
I would also dress up a bit the opposite area which I guess is the one with the armchair.
If you go for a patterned rug, then a golden/cream pillow - replacing the white one on the armchair , would balance the color palette.
Some artwork on that wall - either a large size one, different matching smaller ones or delicate metal work but eye catching would make a big difference.
Even a table lamp on that dresser would make it look cozier.
January 28, 2013 at 7:30pm   
PRO
BeyondFrames
This is the lamp I had in mind but unfortunately I hit the wrong button
January 28, 2013 at 7:36pm     
jansgirl
Brrrrrrr. Hope to see you add some creamy golds to give some warmth.
January 28, 2013 at 7:36pm   
January 28, 2013 at 7:43pm     
lomass
Love what you've accomplished, here are some ideas.
A light source over the bed ? (For example a chandelier )
I agree with the others for the need for artwork. How about adding some of your favorite prints to large silver frames with white matting.
Add a bench at the foot of the bed
A rug with various shades of blue
Love to see the finished product
January 28, 2013 at 7:58pm   
PRO
BeyondFrames
off topic :) - how do you add to your comment the photos that link directly to houzz products? As I notice groveraxle did above?
January 28, 2013 at 8:05pm   
Darzy
I love what you have done so far! Very pretty and Iike your vintage furniture a lot. I think a graphic rug, like this?, and simple sheers for window treatments would be soft and romantic. I'm not a big fan of mirrors in a bedroom. A piece of art you love over the dresser would be soothing. How about just a mirror on a pedestal for the dresser?

January 28, 2013 at 8:07pm   
PRO
Frederick Sterling Interiors
I like your room very much. Perhaps your curtains can be the source of color and texture. Perhaps a floral or soft stripe. Might be easier to find fabric and have them made. And then add a soft rug.
January 28, 2013 at 8:10pm   
Darzy
How about a nice bench at the foot of your bed for the pillows are putting on your shoes?

January 28, 2013 at 8:14pm   
mveasey
Am I totally crazy to suggest a fuzzy, gigantic shag carpet in white? I think it would give the room lots of texture. (Assuming you dont have small children or tons of pets...)
You can play with prints or colors on the bed...
Your stand up mirror looks lost on the wall, the proportions are not right. I understand the sparkle and interest, but technically you room does not need visual expansion, it already reads nice and big.
January 28, 2013 at 8:14pm   
centaurita
A lot of great ideas here already. My two cents - You already have a great mirror so the art above the your dresser should be something exciting and maybe even imposing- but something you love, and want to look at every day, whether a grouping or a single large piece.
You have a truly beautiful room here and it can be made absolutely stunning with some added texture and perhaps a third great color , Yellow perhaps!
January 28, 2013 at 8:17pm     
Darzy
I agree with centaruita about exciting art for above the dresser. Something like this? Then, you can add another small pop of color, taken from your art piece. In some cases, I like the look of ONE different color piece in the room. Like a bright pink pillow on the bed. Then, no more pink. :)

January 28, 2013 at 8:20pm     
groveraxle
@beyondframes
To link directly to another houzz page, simply copy and paste the url for that page into your comment. The software automatically displays the picture and creates the link.
January 28, 2013 at 8:21pm   
PRO
RizMi - The Rug People
Beautiful bed with great wall colors. you may need am oriental carpet to give a look of modern as well as oriental design.
January 28, 2013 at 8:22pm   
PRO
Ekhaya Designs
The room looks stunning. You need some texture and maybe a pop of color. I was thinking something like a sisal rug to add texture and warmth. Some type of round piece or structural art above the bed and artwork incorporating some blues like you have in the room and some other pop of color. I almost forgot window treatments (panels) that reach the floor. These will help elongate the walls and add to the elegance you have achieved with what you did already.
January 28, 2013 at 8:23pm   
PRO
BeyondFrames
@groveraxel
Thank you!
January 28, 2013 at 8:24pm   
groveraxle
I am going to heartily disagree with those who want a pop of color. I would like to see most of the floor covered with a soft and dreamy rug all in shades from cream to blue. (And this is from someone who is a color addict.) This room is so calm and serene, just looking at it makes me want to lie down. In fact, I think I'll go do that now.
January 28, 2013 at 8:26pm     
Darzy
I agree groveraxle...this room is just right. I just gave an option for a quick pop of color, anytime. One pink pillow pop. Or remove, and bang! Right back to cool, calm and serene.
January 28, 2013 at 8:30pm   
Manon Floreat
Ekhaya Designs, do you happen to know who the artist is of the abstract piece you posted? I really like it.
January 28, 2013 at 8:32pm   
PRO
BeyondFrames
I cannot help to agree with grooveaxle. All this room needs it's a little touch to complete something that is already done great.
I also like this

January 28, 2013 at 8:40pm     
Joanna Galanis
I love the color scheme...simple. I would add mirrors behind each lamp behind the bedside lamps and add a large flokati rug. Drapes should be hung as high as possible and long enough to skim or drape the floor. I would also suggest a small ( no larger than 5 ft) couch with golds/creams at the foot of the bed. You could get away with a solid color but then add pillows of any color on the couch. Above the dresser, why not create a mosaic of some sort incorporating elements that are meaningful to you? It will add some art along with shimmer and light if you use some mirrored pieces in there. Also, I'd like to see some life element like a small plant or bamboo tree somewhere. I always feel more alive and balanced when there is something green in my living space.
January 28, 2013 at 8:46pm     
ekc3502
I can't quite tell from the pictures - it looks as if your crown is white while the door trim is a cream...I would paint that out. I would also add color in the rug and curtain panels...but you have a lovely start.
January 28, 2013 at 8:49pm   
PRO
Pamela Tripas
Like suggested earlier, all you need:
1. long billowing sheers on your windows
2. A lovely patterned rug
3. A bench at the foot of the bed
4. Something you love on the wall above the headboard
5. A beautiful mirror above the dresser.
6. A romantic crystal chandelier on a dimmer switch
No need for additional pops of color other than muted colors. You've done a great job of that! Maybe fresh flowers, scattered votive candles and ooo...what a beautifully romantic bedroom you have!
January 28, 2013 at 9:16pm   
PRO
What's Inside Design Ltd.
Hi Sarah,
I love what you've done with your room...Beautiful, peaceful and serene!!!
I "played" with some ideas for you!
Have fun with the rest of your decorating! You're obviously doing a great job!
Caroline :)
January 28, 2013 at 10:03pm     
ekc3502
I love the recommendations on this thread....any thoughts for this much less pulled together space. http://www.houzz.com/discussions/305932/How-do-I-warm-up-my-master-bedroom-
January 29, 2013 at 3:33pm   
mamachers
What color did you paint your room? It is so beautiful.
January 29, 2013 at 3:43pm   
PRO
Committed Photography, Inc.
Beautiful bedroom, I would be considering either a canvas with white wrap or probably a white frame with a white matt, and a print with some nice blues in it. You can always try pairing a couple square prints together or even a larger panoramic. Here are a couple pieces to look at.
http://www.committedphotography.ca/photos/frame/941
http://www.committedphotography.ca/photos/frame/4582
http://www.committedphotography.ca/photos/frame/2986
http://www.committedphotography.ca/photos/frame/1824
January 29, 2013 at 4:42pm   
centaurita
Agree with ekc3502 about painting the rest of the trim in white to match the crown mold. Use a good paint like Sherwin-Williams trim and cabinet paint. It isn't cheap but goes on nice and is durable for cleaning. I always look for it on sale and also check their website for coupons. Other than that it looks like you have gotten a lot of good ideas here. It really is a lovely room. Someone else asked about the paint you used, and I was also curious.
January 29, 2013 at 5:31pm   
PRO
Ekhaya Designs
@Manon Floreat, the abstract art is from World Market.

Sarah AM you got a lot of cool ideas given to you. Can't wait to see what you end up doing!

Groveraxle mentioned that he/she heartily disagree with a pop of color; Its okay to disagree but these suggestions are for the client and the client in this case is Sarah. She wasn't specific in her request so we as a community are just giving suggestions. For instance, I posted an abstract art frame but since Sarah is not someone I have talked with before or know her preferences I don't know if she likes abstract art or not.
January 31, 2013 at 5:19am     
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
I would suggest removing the sheers and replacing them with Ripplefold Drapery. I would also recommend that it come to the floor it will look a lot more finished that way.
http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/drapery-toronto/panels/ripplefold-drapery.html
January 31, 2013 at 7:12am   
0825sam
I love the geometric rug suggested by Darzy as well as the sunburst mirror. I like the idea of mixing in a bit of gold and texture into the room. I am also into layering rugs at the moment, so to add texture, maybe there is a way to overlap a shag rug and angle it in front of another piece of furniture. Ikea has a flotaki rug that I have layered in my kids' playroom over a red oriental rug and I am personally loving the look.
January 31, 2013 at 7:17am   
0825sam
Also not sure what your other lighting is in the room, but it would be nice to add either a chandelier or maybe sconces around your window. And the curtains would be nice if they were pooled on the floor.
January 31, 2013 at 7:18am