powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Should I keep this backsplash or update to something else!? If so what would you do?
pud07
January 28, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I'm loving exchanging ideas with people on this site. Very Cool
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Main Line Kitchen Design
What's off with this backsplash is that the granite back splash is not appropriate if you are tiling a backsplash. It should have been removed and the backsplash tiled all the way down to the top. If you had more tile and grout you could pull off the granite backsplash and tile down to the top and it would look great. Certainly if you are going to re-tile do it down to the top the next time.

Personally I would keep the tile simple since the cabinets and tops are traditional - Oak cabinets and Uba Tuba granite. I would use a tumbled marble subway tile. I think it looks better to keep styles appropriate to each other and not for instance use glass tile with such a traditional cabinet and top.
1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 5:15AM
PRO
Red Rock Pools and Spas and Red Rock Contractors
Main line kitchen design is correct, the granite backsplash should have been removed. You likely cannot pull that off after the fact without tile damage and odd cuts needed. When redoing it, removing the granite will make the back splash also look taller and make that space seem larger under the cabinets. If you replace the backsplash, now is a perfect time to cut into the drywall and run some under cabinet LED lighting. That will change the overall effect of the dramatically. .
2 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 5:22AM
PRO
Allan's Painting Incorporatied
Perhaps you could add something over the existing tile? Are your appliances stainless? How about a tin backsplash?
1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 5:33AM
charleee
I like Allan's idea, very cool!
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 5:53AM
PRO
Susan Jablon Mosaics
Hi pud07!
Color wise, the existing backsplash works ok with the oak cabinets, but not the counters. I would definitely consider replacing it. The backsplash would look better, too, if you can remove the 4" extension of the counters, but if you can't it's not a huge issue. I've attached some images of tiles and mosaics from our website to serve as inspiration.
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 8:10AM
PRO
Leah Keitz Interior Design
The tin backsplash would look good but cleaning the kitchen grease which is bound to accumulate would be a continual challenge,
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 8:17AM
charleee
Leah is right, however, there are 'faux' tin panels, very inexpensive at Home Depot, and more easily cleaned. I think the dirt and grime getting into the grooves of real tin would make me crazy.
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 8:20AM
pud07
Thanks so much for the help. I hadn't thought of removing the granite backsplash but I get the idea.
0 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 6:53PM
PRO
Allan's Painting Incorporatied
I think the tile and granite look good. I would update the cabinets, painting them either white or dark gray...here's how... http://www.allthingsthrifty.com/2012/08/how-to-paint-your-kitchen-cabinets.html
0 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 5:24AM
More Discussions
Sound problems
Have kit/fam rom with wood/tile. Lots of sound vibration,...
Remodeling and building in general
It would help to have the (approx.) costs of these...
Problems with your spouse?
Do you have challenges with your spouse when you're...
FOYER Chandelier or Lantern - Ideas?
Our foyer is open up to the 2nd floor and round like...
Color of granite?
Can anyone identify the color of this granite slab?......
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.