Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
HELP....Any ideas on how to create an optical illusion
brickandstucco
January 28, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Found out my kitchen cabinet is crooked which makes my new tile look crooked! Tile is totally straight its the darn cabinet that is off!! Any ideas on what I can do. My tile guy realized it after it was too late, otherwise I could have changed tile or made a more random pattern. Here is a photo. I welcome ALL ideas. Thank you.
Bri
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Art & Interiors by Lisa
A small trim moulding around the bottom of the cabinets that is level might hide that depending on how crooked the cabinet is.
January 28, 2013 at 5:02pm     
intoit
Reinstall the cabinet so that it is straight.
January 28, 2013 at 5:04pm     
PRO
Ironwood Builders
Intoit is so totally correct!
January 28, 2013 at 5:06pm   
Tammy Sprinkle
The tile looks beautiful. Just unscrew your cabinet and make it level.
January 28, 2013 at 5:08pm   
hockey29
IT NEEDS TO BE STRAIGHT!! Why would you just leave it like that?
January 28, 2013 at 5:08pm   
pud07
What color is your tile? I love it. Is it travertine?
January 28, 2013 at 5:27pm   
PRO
Pamela Tripas
Are these cabinets new or were they existing? Is it possible the cabinets were not reinforced to support the weight of the microwave and caused some movement? I would get to the source of the problem. I find it dismaying that the tile installer did not check for level upper and lower cabs before installation.
January 28, 2013 at 5:34pm   
brickandstucco
Pamela- I find that dismaying too but he didnt! I would have never known it wasnt level. I think that the whole soffett is crooked and the cabinets were installed to be even with the soffett.They are about 28 years old and I've lived here for 18 years and never noticed it! I just dont know what to do now. I do love it and it IS straight it just appears to be crookedI after waiting all these years to do this...I want it to look right! How would you make the cabinet level if the soffet is off?? It is a little over a 1/2" difference from one end to other. Thats huge when it comes to a horizontal line!

Pud07-the tile is 4x8 travertine (karina wavy)
January 28, 2013 at 5:58pm   
PRO
Eagledzines
The only way to know what is not level is a carpenter's level--not a ruler. If the cabinet is not level, it may be as was suggested. It may be sagging from the weight of the cabinet and contents. This can happen if a screw that was used to install it didn't hit a stud. If the cabinet is not square, have it rehung. If that separates it from the soffit, you need a piece of molding at the top of the cabinets.
If the cabinet is level, then the problem is probably that the countertop and lower cabinets aren't level. In that case, put a piece of molding at the bottom of the cabinets to hide the gap.
If you still notice the problem, divide the difference between the top and bottom and put a piece of molding on the top of the cabinets and on the bottom of the cabinets.
January 28, 2013 at 7:53pm   
brickandstucco
Thanks for the advice. A carpenter measured and we have discovered that the entire soffit is uneven. My options as I see them are to either rehang cabinet which then creates an uneven line at the top or install cabinet light molding to bottom of cabinets hiding the bottom line of tile which then hides the problem just doesnt fix it. Im not sure what to do!
January 29, 2013 at 8:34am   
PRO
Ironwood Builders
Any possibility of adding a crown moulding at the top of the cabinet, even a small trim to correct the gap?
January 29, 2013 at 8:36am   
PRO
Eagledzines
If the "entire span" of wall cabinets is out and 1" or less, hang the cabinets so that the difference is split between the top and the bottom. use a 3/4"-1" piece of cove molding on the top and either cove or 1/4" round or flat directly under the cabinets on the bottom. 95% of people won't notice the difference -- as you never did until the change. If it's out more than that, hang them level and put crown on the top. There will be a difference in space between the bottom of the crown and the top of the doors but if the crown is the same color, it won't be noticed (except by you of course).

Besides that, the only other thing you could do is take the uppers down and have the soffit leveled--a lot of work and expense.
January 29, 2013 at 8:54am   
brickandstucco
Unfortunately because the cabinets hang directly from the uneven soffit, no matter what is done, something is going to be crooked --unless the soffit was redone and leveled. A very unexpected problem!
January 29, 2013 at 9:05am   
PRO
Eagledzines
That is true. It may also be true that the ceiling is crooked and the soffit is the same height all the way. In which case if you redid the soffit so that it was level on the bottom it wouldn't be the same height all the way down.
If you want to create an optical illusion, I would suggest going with my first suggestion.
January 29, 2013 at 9:09am   
brickandstucco
Thanks so much for your expertise! Can you come here and do it!!!!! LOL thanks!
January 29, 2013 at 9:16am   
PRO
Eagledzines
(chuckle) I'd love to. I'm retired.
January 29, 2013 at 9:19am   
brickandstucco
:( there's always room for "one more job" :)) The good ones always retire! Thank you very much for your suggestions!
January 29, 2013 at 9:27am   
PRO
Eagledzines
Your very welcome :-)
January 29, 2013 at 9:33am   
Don Sciore
A lot of good advice here.
And the answer is . . . Rehang the cabinet(s) so they are level. Trim the top w/moulding scribed to disguise the un-level soffit. Enjoy your beautiful kitchen. (I would like to see more pics of the problem.)
January 30, 2013 at 3:11pm   
Don Sciore
BTW: beautiful tile. Can we see a good shot of the counter top?
January 30, 2013 at 3:12pm   
brickandstucco
Here are a couple more photos. I think the first one shows that the cabinet isnt level. Time to level the cabinet!!
January 30, 2013 at 3:24pm   
More Discussions
Is a 2 pc Powder Room worth the Space?
Hi. My wife and I are just in the process of getting...
Replace cabinets or repaint?
Purchased a house that has a lot of weird colors throughout...
Symmetry issue
Having a difficult time figuring out what to do with...
How do you think this light fixture looks?
I was thinking of this light fixture for my front hall....
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.