powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Finally found living room inspiration. Just need furniture!
WKB D
January 28, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hubby wants contemporary, I can't do it. We'll meet somewhere in the middle. I finally found this pillow which we both like. Need ideas for wall color, furniture color, window coverings, etc. The only mainstays are tan carpeting, oak woodwork and a large stone fireplace. Will need a sofa, loveseat and two swivel chairs. Was thinking solid sofa and loveseat, patterned chairs (circles or geometric?).
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
orangecamera
I like that pillow :)

I'd pull one of the colors that's used less often in the fabric as the wall color. It's hard to tell on my monitor exactly what the colors are, but I think one of the beige colors would be nice for the walls. It looks like there's also a gold orange there, that might be nice for an accent wall. Furniture in beiges and blues. Use lavender and purple sparingly in your accessories, but make them nice pure colors so they "pop".

You'll want the room to look nice overall, and "work" even if you removed this pillow, so keep that in mind as you choose your other items.

Often you can find the same fabric for sale (someone else might be able to identify this one for you), and you can buy yardage to make window treatments or different sized pillows. You might consider having an ottoman upholstered with this fabric. It's great because it gives you so many colors to work with.
2 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 5:10PM
Aja Mazin
WOW!

For solid color sofa and loveseat, I would pull out the blue. then use blue and yellow for the chairs.
4 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 5:12PM
orangecamera
Forgot to mention about the fabric, if you can find out what collection it's from, you may find a coordinating geometric for your chairs that has the perfect colors.
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 5:12PM
onthefence
Oh my stars! Where did you find that pillow? That's gorgeous.
1 Like   January 28, 2013 at 5:13PM
WKB D
Found the pillow at Kohl's. It's on their website as well. Picture doesn't do it justice, I overlooked it while looking online.
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 5:15PM
onthefence
Thanks so much. That works with our living room colors perfectly.
1 Like   January 28, 2013 at 5:22PM
WKB D
Beige carpet, beige walls, beige sofa, orange/gold accent wall and blue chairs? What about medium or dark gray on the walls? Do like the idea of beige sofa (color of the dog).
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 5:23PM
WKB D
onthefence - what colors did you use on walls and for furniture?
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 5:25PM
onthefence
Well....the walls are TBD (we're a work in progress). Will probably be in the soft green/gray/beige family. Furniture is all leather - sofa is dark brown, 1 chair is lipstick red and another chair is a VERY dark green. Floor is a modern pattern area rug on hardwood. The rug has all the colors of the furniture plus a few others. The throw pillow you pictured actually picks up all the colors as well.
1 Like   January 28, 2013 at 5:34PM
PRO
Gabberts Design Studio
I think a dark grey on the walls would be fabulous. However, it's hard to give advice without a good visual. What color is your woodwork? I think posting a picture of your room will help this discussion.
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 5:16AM
WKB D
pic
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 5:58AM
lpstoddard
Just ordered to armless chairs in that pattern.
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 7:25AM
WKB D
Gasp! Can you give me details?
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 7:29AM
lpstoddard
What brand for Kohl's pillows? I can't find them.. have to order to go with my new brown leather sofa.
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 7:31AM
WKB D
Try Bedrock decorative pillow. Tag says Brentwood originals.
1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 7:36AM
Casey
Here's the pillow! http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-1148380/bedrock-decorative-pillow.jsp

Great find, I might use this with my grey couch too. I also have tan floors, oak trim.
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 7:36AM
lpstoddard
http://www.klaussner.com/Klaussner-Tapestries/BEDROCKMULTI-328/CoverInformation.aspx. Here is the pattern.The living room furniture will be in next week.. Can send you a pick when it comes in.
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 7:45AM
lpstoddard
Our paint is called Patience by Sherwin Williams.
2 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 7:48AM
WKB D
Thank you so much, would love to see it!!
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 7:48AM
lpstoddard
Thanks for the link.. I just ordered two of them!!!
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 7:59AM
vryhappy
Hubby wants contemporary!! I have two occasional chairs that I bought at Kanes Furniture that are the same fabric and I got the sofa that went with the group. Behr has a color "Dragonfly UL220-19 that is the color of the sofa. I have tan walls and a geometric area rug...looks great.
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 12:37PM
PRO
Rivers Colorworks+Design
I have this pillow! Got two for my couch from Target. Look great on my leaf green sofa.
1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 2:34PM
PRO
Barnhart Gallery
Hi WKB D -- I've built bookshelves on either side of your FP and "filled" them with things using the colors of your pillow -- or, your pillow actually, but you get the idea. I pulled one of your greens for the walls, added a couch in one of your browns, grabbed a rug from HomeDecorators, and hung Edvard Munch's "The Sun".
1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 3:33PM
WKB D
I like this very much, thank you! Especially like the bookshelves.
1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 5:15PM
WKB D
I also check out Edvard Munch's "The Sun." The colors in the painting could really work, great suggestion!
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 8:12PM
WKB D
*checked out
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 8:22PM
onthefence
Wow. Love that storyboard that barnhart gallery created! WKB I'm sure my definition of my living room must have sounded like an explosion in a crayon factory. Barnhart's storboard really show the color combos well thoug. Our rug is in very similar shades only a bit more muted.

BTW our lipstick red chair is a leather swivel chair. It's the major punch of color in the room. We've found a couple brands and ended up with a Natuzzi. We LOVE that thing. In fact, the one we just got was our 2nd. The 1st lasted about 15 years. I think swivel chairs are a great thing in a living room!
1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 11:14PM
dfishman
Nice standout in a room. I betcha the husband would compromise with this pillow on a brown leather sofa. The pillow would "pop" in the room and the hubby would be comfy.
2 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 6:08AM
kbardel
Love the fireplace!!!! Take those great pillows to the furniture store with you!!!! Don't just use the photos. Bring the fireplace photo with you too in a 5x7 size. The stylist at the store will be able to see your vision and suggest ideas! Leather sofas will last 10-20 years and totally worth the investment, so maybe consider that first. I would stay neutral with your sofas and maybe add that pretty blue or green solid pillows to pull out your accent color!!! Good luck and let us know the finished product!!!!
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 7:47AM
Sharon Williams
I have the carpet Barnhart gallery posted in our living room and absolutely love it! We paired it with gold fabric chairs, a medium brown leather sofa, and brown leather storage ottoman. Walls are pale yellow (Benjamin Moore 2160-60 Kansas Grain) and the trim a darker shade (Benjamin Moore 2160-40 Roasted Sesame Seed). I love the sunny golden look. I love your fireplace and love the pillows! Best of luck on your redecorating adventure!
1 Like   January 30, 2013 at 1:28PM
houscom
Great Fabric! Great find! Love to know where you purchased this lovely cushion!

If you close your eyes there are a lot of blue tones and warm grey tones - also highlights in Gold - maybe working with those tones is the go. Looking at it again there are many natural tones - even heading towards olive, the connecting stripe between the colours seems to be a neutral olive tone. I DO LIKE the gold and ochre highlights!

You could have a couch in a mid to dark linen tone to off set the cushion and have the cushion as the highlight. I would not highlight the pinky or purply tones in any major way, but leave those as little jewels of colour in the cushions themselves or you could perhaps have a solid mid or dark tone red cushion behind these cushions on a neutral couch.

The pale lime tone is interesting too, but don't over do that, again either keep as a jewel, complimenting the neutrals or perhaps you could consider using a hint of it in the paint colour of your walls.

I like the idea of a the solid background on your larger furniture. As far as circles or stripes, neither, I think texture is what you want, there are natural forms in the cushions - keep your complimenting shapes natural. I hope this helps you? . . . bit new at this and know I have mentioned almost every single colour so I hope my suggestions are not too contradictory.
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 4:14PM
houscom
Just visited the Kohls link - lots of terracotta shades show up in that photo, it's so different from your photo, could yours be a different colour way?

I can see how tans and ochre yellows would be great but I would stick to warm greys and olives in both wall colour and other furniture so that the cushion is appreciated and not overwhelmed. Do take the cushion with you to furniture stores - that's a great suggestion! Best of Luck!
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 4:56PM
WKB D
Here's the fabric I found for two swivel chairs. Decided on a medium tan fabric for the sofa. Still trying to determine what to do with wall color. I thought grays, but haven't found the right shade. I am learning toward a mushroom (taupe/gray) or a rich tan. Room is not large, but it's a raised ranch so there is a lot of wall space by the stairs and long hall. I think I'll tire of a yellow or olive. Not sure what a warm gray is vs. cool gray. The pillow photo I posted a few days ago is the same pillow on the Kohl's site. Appreciate all the advice!
2 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 5:42PM
meatpie
You mentioned a gray and I thought of Benjamin Moore's Kendall gray. Very rich, interesting color. Houzz has an entire thred devoted to it here: http://www.houzz.com/kendall-charcoal-benjamin-moore. There is also Chelsea Gray and Gray Owl is a lovely, less dark and more forgiving gray. http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/grayowl
1 Like   January 30, 2013 at 5:52PM
houscom
I was very taken by your photo of the fabric and the colours I could see there and so I must admit that I dived right in - hadn't read any other comments until after my first post - so many of them talked of tans and yellows and then seeing the commercial photo I could see why. (I must look up that beautiful painting referred too)

For wall colour I'd go a little more greeny grey than pinky grey - but then I am very drawn to the colours I can see in your original posting. I think a greeny grey will work with your Tan sofa fabric.
(I do tend to think of mushroom brown as a bit of a pinky grey, but do love those tones too! Not sure a mushroom brown would work with the tan - smiling now, as its all open to colour interpretation by individuals, which is tricky over the airwaves, plus I live in the Southern Hemisphere and I have a feeling our colours maybe given a different tone because our light is different???)

Looking at this new photo - what colour is that connecting line? (through the dots) maybe that also ties in with the other beautiful fabric? maybe that will help with wall colour selection. I am a bit of a monochromatic fan with small colour highlights, so guess I envisaged a neutral palette, with your original cushion being the quiet star, showing hightlights of colour. I am considering an involved reno myself so I know how difficult the process can be - at least you have some bits sorted!
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 6:15PM
houscom
I like this -

I would steer clear of cold greys.
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 6:19PM
judianna20
How about slipcovered, somewhat contemporary. sofa, leather chairs, the built-ins, pillows on the sofa and a beautiful deep blue on the walls.
Family Room
Benjamin Moore® Ben® Paint, Blue Dusk 1644
2 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 6:38PM
WKB D
Thank you for your suggestions. I am in the Midwest, where the winter days are very gloomy, so I can understand the differences in the light. On a sunny day, this room is quite bright with a lot of natural sunlight, however, not direct sunlight. I will definitely check out the wall colors suggested. The color connecting the dots in the chair fabric is grey, much like the Benjamin Moore color posted. I will educate myself on the different shades of grays. Maybe I will find one that looks right. I picked up several gold and a few grey paint samples today and dislike most of what I selected. I will have to return after I do some homework. Thanks again for all the help. As overwhelming as it al seems, I am excited to get things ordered and start working!
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 6:42PM
Marie Slack-Tello
You folks are the bomb! My I please post pics of my ENTIRE house and let all of you take your best shot?!
2 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 7:44PM
onthefence
WKB, that chair fabric is faboo! That's going to be a happy room. What tone of end tables etc are you using?
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 7:50PM
WKB D
So happy you like the chair fabric! I was excited to find it and am sitting here now doubting myself. Here's the end tables ans coffee table I have.
1 Like   January 30, 2013 at 8:28PM
WKB D
Still need art and new table lamps. Something cool but inexpensive.
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 8:30PM
onthefence
Oh no, WKB - NO doubt on that chair fabric. That and your pillows are that little zing that a room needs IMO. The detail on your tables is really nice. It looks a bit like pewter maybe?

Table lamps I hope will be easy for you. You've given yourself an array of colors and materials to work with. Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong. Art may be a bit trickier. Although if you and hubby reached such a perfect compromise by way of the pillow, I'm sure you'll do the same with art.

I saw a piece of art here a couple weeks ago and the poster was kind enough to send me the website. I'm passing it on to you here. Even though you've indicated contemporary isn't your style, take a look at some of the contemporary canvasses. There are some things with colors that would work beautifully in your room. http://www.greatbigcanvas.com/category/contemporary/
1 Like   January 30, 2013 at 9:28PM
houscom
Dear meatpie, thanks for the links to the greys that is where I found the Woodcliff Lake and I think your suggestion of the colour "Grayowl" works really well with the background tone/colour of WKB's cushion. WKB - lots of good gray suggestions here.

Dear judyg, I LOVE your Dusk Blue and I actually think it goes beautifully with the Woodcliff Lake. (both these colours could be cut back with white if you wanted to keep the room lighter and airy - in particular at this time of year). The Dusk Blue is a good match to the mid tone of blue in the cushion.
Also the interior shot you've shared is a very good example of several of the elements already discussed, plus it shows how neutral linen tones (even heading towards a darker linen tone) will work in a similar situation, fire place, books shelves either side, with the cushion being the quiet star, showing highlights of colour. All your suggestions are great!

Hey WKB, I would think your beautiful cushion will look great with the colours coming through in the stones around the fireplace and will help to bring out the different hidden tones.

Also I can really see a couple of leather arm chairs - similar to those in judyg's example, reddish/tan working beautifully in complimenting the tones of the cushions on a neutral, yes even darker neutral couch. A paler neutral linen tone on the walls - not unlike the grayowl.

I think a nice touch would be very small touches of antique gold or antique pewter tones in metal lamp bases or picture frames or mirror frames. Actually that is what I meant when I said . . . I DO LIKE the gold and ochre highlights! . . . I would keep them as highlights in accessories rather than wall colour.

The side table is lovely and could even be updated, colour wise, to work with metal lamp bases so they match and an update to the wood colour if its appropriate, in a darker neutral tone as a wood stain or paint colour.

WKB this interior example of judyg's is a nice move away from what some might call contemporary into traditional, so might be a good meeting in the middle for both you and your husband styles - the room has a lovely relaxed feel. Sorry if this post is too long - good bye
2 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 12:01AM