powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Vintage pink & green bathrooms...what to do?
emailbrittny
January 28, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We've just purchased a home with these 2 bathrooms. One retro pink with white tiled walls & shower, pink tile floor, white paint & a white sink coming out of the wall. I want to get a retro hot/cold handle faucet. The master bath is green/white tile, green tile flooring with white paint & the 80s era sink/vanity.The tile is in good shape in need of some touch up grout, caulk & cleaning. but other then that I have no idea how to decorate it or paint. Any advice or links appreciated.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
decoenthusiaste
I would clean it up and play it up!
6 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 5:30PM
emailbrittny
At first I wanted a complete demolition but after much research I've decided to "save" them. The green I think I can easily work with. I want to replace the vanity, lighting & mirror. I also want to dump those toilet shelves ;)
2 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 5:35PM
Darzy
How about black/white vinyl peek and stick tiles for both bathroom floors? And, both bathrooms a medium gray wall call. You could do the tile the diamond shape..or something more updated in a stripe?
house tour
Kitchen Makeover
2 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 5:40PM
carbary
I'm not crazy about the floor tile but I think the paint color on the walls doesn't help tie anything together. The curtains..... Curtains. I think a green tone about 3 shades lighter than the tile or a tan with under tones of green and some fun curtains would really jazz it up.
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 6:38PM
Darzy
I think black/white/pink....then black/white/green. An almost charcoal gray wall color would look dramatic and pretty!
4 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 6:44PM
carbary
Great idea Darzy!!!
3 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 7:43PM
14thstreet
Do medium to light gray walls in the pink bath with a matching floor mat. White towels are always in style and easy to bleach. Add a light and clean shower curtain. It will look fresh!
http://www.childrensbeddingboutique.com/hotel-white-and-gray-shower-curtain.aspx
4 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 8:04PM
emailbrittny
What kind of vanity/sink for the green bathroom? I agree with the grey walls! That's what I pictured first, but didn't know how to accent that color.
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 8:33AM
nasmijati
I agree that gray would look good for the walls in the green bathroom. What catches my eye is that the tub surround tile is more of a blue-green and the floor tile is more of a yellow-green, at least on my monitor.
For the vanity, a clean white color would "go" with the white border tile around the tub. You could choose to put in white towel bars etc., or choose chrome.
White towels and floor mats will bring a bit of "spa" to the room. If you use bar soap, choose a white one.
1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 1:19PM
Molly
I think I have the same green tiles in my bath. I find the color to be gorgeous. My plan is to paint the walls an off white that has a similar green tint as the tiles. My bathroom is tiny so I want to keep it simple.
1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 1:23PM
nasmijati
In the green bathroom, I would not accent either the green or the gray. Let them stand on their own, and add white. It looks as if there is one white towel bar and the others are chrome? If it was my space I would have all the towel bars match. This style is still available - saw some at Home Depot last week.
1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 1:24PM
nasmijati
Oops. I see the white towel bar is inside the tub enclosure. Leave it be. (Wishing I had one in that location, too.).
1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 1:26PM
iknownot
Enjoy them fully. Go to the website retrorenovation.com and join a community that embraces them. Search the site for the "save pink bathrooms" . You'll love it. Great resources and replacement parts on there. You'll be inspired to replace the 80's sink with a vintage one.
3 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 1:28PM
3 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 1:31PM
14thstreet
I like the idea of gray walls for the pink bathroom, but for the green bathroom I think you should stick to a lighter white tone that has a green/gray undertone. SW 6168 Moderne White might be awesome for the walls...softer than white and fresh. I love that swatch from Sherwin...I've used the darker tones on it several times.

Can you replace that sink and vanity with something more stream line and light, not so bottom-heavy? Is the floor underneath in good enough shape? I like the idea of keeping everything in that bath white and crisp, and use your metallic elements to add zing...pick up great chrome towel bars, perhaps a mirror like this... stick with a white shower curtain also. Doing one of those floor-to-ceiling curtains hung on a solid chrome bar would be great. Younghouselove.com is a good site for info on floor-to-ceiling curtains.
1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 1:37PM
mamachers
This is hilarius. We have the same pink bathroom. I am so excited to hear what everyone thinks and to see what you do with yours. We moved here a year ago and as you said ours is in great condition too. So What do I do?
1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 1:39PM
patty526
Both baths need some black, not only to settle them down, but to make them more elegant. Replacing tile is a huge pain..I'd love to see how a cream console, black marble counter and 50 style..or earlier, fixtures would do. There are some nice porcelain mix faucets with about any metal finish you could want, and the levers and big shower heads help with some retro appeal. But black, somewhere on that sink, either top or bottom..I vote counter!
1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 1:44PM
ikwewe
You can play with some pretty patterns for the curtain and shower curtain in the green bathroom. Do you like tropical prints?
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 2:13PM
emailbrittny
Thanks for all the ideas & input! I'm already on save the pink & retro renovations on FB. Here are a couple ideas I really like.
1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 2:13PM
aclark674
Wow emailbrittany! Those images you just posted are really nice. Although I am laughing to myself at your post because I have the exact same small bathroom in blue. Same tile floor as well. Its in good condition, so I changed the toilet and the sink to a european glass bowl with black marble top to pick up the black trim around the tile. I painted the wall a very lite sky-ocean blue. I use only clear shower curtains to keep the bathroom large as well as to see when in the shower. Next I would like to change the lighting over the sink.
2 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 2:59PM
patty526
Love them, keep us posted!
2 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 3:17PM
apple_pie_order
Try a professional tile cleaning service for the floor mosaic tile. They can sometimes make the grayed old grout look clean, light and new again. They can also clean and seal wall tile for easier maintenance.
2 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 3:24PM
mamachers
I am going to paint both my walls and cabinets a pink color that will go with the tiles. It may be a little much but I will try.
1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 3:27PM
njmomma
I had that mustard yellow bathroom. Mustard yellow tile half way up the wall, shower and tub, toilet, sinks, mustard yellow everywhere. I pulled the bull nose tile off the tile wall half way up and placed a mosaic glass tile as a border all around the bathroom. Then placed the bull nose back on again.

I painted the walls one of the colors from the border, I replace the toilet with a white one and replaced the sinks with white ones also.

Everyone who came to see the makeover, thought I redid the whole bath.

I really love the way it came out. Who would have thought a little mosiac glass tile could give a bathroom such a lift.
1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 4:10PM
patty526
I thought about an update like that, did't know anyone who's done it though! Great advice.
1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 4:14PM
emailbrittny
Thank you everyone I will update with any new ideas or pics ;) I'm not a big fan of flower prints but maybe I can do something with the yellow walls $ a more modern accent rug & curtain.
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 5:40PM
emailbrittny
Njmomma can you post a pic? I'm interested to see what your yellow bathroom looks like.
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 5:56PM
nasmijati
Hi all. Sounds like several of you posting on this thread are on a roll with vintage bathroom restoration! Here is a tiny detail regarding photographing bathrooms for display. Please remember to put the toilet lid down! :)

This is a fun thread. So MANY ideas.
2 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 7:29PM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
I would definitely run with that. I love those old colorful bathrooms. Pink is so over the top. I would just push it even further.
1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 7:33PM
njmomma
Work gets in the way, but I'll see what I can do about those pics. May be the weekend by the time I get to it.
1 Like   January 30, 2013 at 2:49AM
debwalwer
My pink bathroom is so much like yours and it took me 3 years to figure out how to work with it . We gutted one 1962 blue tiled bathroom and couldn't afford to do the pink one.
We painted the vanity a crisp white, took down the plate glass mirror and added the oval mirror with matching sconces on each side, added much needed light to the vanity area, painted the walls a deep taupe color pulled from the shower curtain and valence fabric and added wood blinds, taupe and pink towels (my 17 year old daughter uses this bathroom). We need to change out the original shower fixtures and have the tub resurfaced. Adding the taupe bath rugs toned down the pink floor tiles. We also filled in the ugly vent lines below on the sink vanity (in front of the sink) with wood putty and added the decorative wood piece onto the vanity and added new nickel knobs! See my pics :) I love it now.
5 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 7:33AM
debwalwer
More pics of my pink bathroom renovation, I did look at Save the Pink Bathrooms website before renovating!
2 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 7:37AM
debwalwer
Emailbtittny: How about replacing the sink in the pink bathroom with a pedestal sink and hang an oval tilted mirror above it. In our small bathroom we removed the hanging sink and replaced it with a small vanity see my pic.
1 Like   January 30, 2013 at 7:50AM
Genevieve
On the contrary I must say that the tiles that you have are no longer dated by the look of things in store shelves . So just get some nice towels and shower curtain and you have an up to date room.
1 Like   January 30, 2013 at 7:57AM
PRO
A. Peltier Interiors
another route is to have them glazed in white... i however chose to just go with my pink!!
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 8:17AM
PRO
Shannon Ggem ASID
Keep the pink! I agree with other that adding black is the answer, or for a more Ralph Lauren kind of look, pink and dark brown and taupe. I would try to live without the toilet/shelf unit, and in the green bath address the sink vanity in some way. Good luck with those cuties!
1 Like   January 30, 2013 at 8:35AM
debwalwer
You could take the toilet shelf unit and cut off the "legs side pieces" then mount it above the toilet as a cabinet mounted to the wall. Doing this will allow you to hang the cabinet higher above the toilet.This will make it look much neater. We took ours apart and even cut it down so it had a more shallow depth and added new brushed nickel pulls on the cabinet doors.
3 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 5:01AM
abigail822
This is what I did with those green tiles. A double roll of wallpaper and a new light fixture. My floors were ready retiled white. You could use washable bath carpet.
3 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 5:35AM
victorianbungalowranch
Wow, we have had a lot of action on pink and green bathrooms lately. Love them both!

You can add legs to the wall hung sink, and a crossbar to hang towels to make it a console sink, or velco a sink skirt. The space looks really tight, and wall mount sinks have their advantages in tight spaces. They are the norm in Europe actually.

The floors look like mud jobs--with beds of grey grout that can be an inch or more thick. Really great quality, and a total pain to rip out. I have the exact same pin floor tile in my bathroom. I was watching Rehab Addict the other day, and she shined up some old tile with a mixture of baking powder and hydrogen peroxide, and a lot of elbow grease. The colors do look somewhat different in the green bath, so I would cover the floor with a bath mat in white, take down the pink curtain, paint the vanity white, and consider getting a shower curtain with a variety of greens to turquoise in it. A sort of 40's type tropical barkcloth type print might be fun, maybe even a Dorothy Draper mod pattern.

Pink looks good with grey, charcoal grey, chocolate brown, antique white, white and black (in moderation) Baths in the period mixed it with seafoam, aqua, turquoise, butter yellow (not my favorite, but the pink is clean enough it could be OK), or olive or forest green, but if I did this, I would keep to the more muted, but not muddy, and pale versions, or accents.

Here are some modern 50's inspired palettes that could work, and some period renderings. The bottom one is more 40s and is really over the top. I can see Joan Crawford or Betty Davis at that vanity!
1 Like   February 7, 2014 at 8:56AM
tjmoon
I am glad to see that you found Retro Renovation and Saving the Pink Bathrooms websites.
Deciding not to gut, and to work with these original features will probably be a decision you will not regret. I have worked on two 1950's houses in the last 5 years, and in both, I decided to keep some original fixtures, however, it wasn't in the bathrooms, it was in the kitchens. I am hoping that the next house I get has tiled bathrooms like yours. Here are some pictures of the kitchens I did. First picture is my own kitchen. It is a mid century modern built in 1958, and we kept the original kitchen cabinets, although everything else is new. We decided not to paint, but to refinish them. 2nd picture is of the house I inherited from my parents, built in 1951. Again, kept the original cabinets, but re-pickled them. Put new countertops and floors in, but used new versions of original materials. Counter top and backsplash are linoleum and floor VCT tile. Aluminum edges are from Out water Plastics. All the resources I needed to do this were found on the Retro Renovation site.
2 Likes   May 9, 2014 at 8:01AM
lookingood101
Ahhh, I grew up with that! Couldn't wait to see it after reading your pink/green title. We had a row of black tile close to the top of the tile. But then, I wouldn't tear it out just to add black there. Cool
0 Likes   May 9, 2014 at 8:13AM
emailbrittny
This is the end result of my retro bathrooms. The pink bathroom we just painted, new faucet and fixtures, and accents (the wall is missing one shelf that I haven't got up yet), the green bathroom we painted & replaced the vanity, sink, faucet, fixtures and accents. I think it turned out pretty good. I'm don't have much decorating skills but everyone seemed to love them.
3 Likes   May 9, 2014 at 8:25AM
emailbrittny
Here's the rest of the green bathroom.
4 Likes   May 9, 2014 at 8:27AM
tjmoon
They are both beautiful! I think you have plenty of decorating skills! The colors in the pink bathroom are very appealing , especially with your accessories and shower curtain. The Green bathroom looks fresh and a great mix of old and new.
Thanks for sharing.
2 Likes   May 9, 2014 at 8:38AM
dbs959
I was helping my Dad to get his house ready for sale. The small second bath had pink tile wainscoting and pink tile in the tub as well as the sink was pink. And all slightly different shades of pink! I ended up choosing to paint the walls a really rich cocoa brown in satin sheen, then accented with Baja Stripe shower curtain and Wamsatta bath rug and towels in brick. I know it sounds nuts, but it ended up looking like some decadent candy box. The lady who bought the house liked it so much, she asked if she could buy the curtain, towel and mats from us (bath never used)---we just gave to her. I'd love to be able to use that combo of colors again. But my point being, don't be afraid of dark colors, don't be afraid of bringing in the unexpected, and remember you can always repaint or return stuff to Bed, Bath and Beyond, so be bold!
3 Likes   May 9, 2014 at 10:10AM
Jessica
The house I grew up in had a robins egg blue bathroom tile with black border tiles and a black tile toothbrush and soap holder and a black towel rack. The tub, toilet and sink were the same pink as your bathroom. Very 50s, but hard to match the tile if one of them broke (like when dad's electric razor fell out of the medicine cab and broke the toothbrush holder off the wall). Always loved the colors. But now we've replaced the pink sink with white because it had too many dings in the porcelain where things had been dropped on it. The toilet got replaced with a white one that uses less water than that old 50s one did. The tub is the sole remaining source of pink in the room and my dad is debating what to do about that.
0 Likes   May 9, 2014 at 12:17PM
PRO
Rebecca Mitchell Interiors & Boutique
I think you should keep the green bathroom as it is with white walls. Add only black accents with towels and even toilet seat - possibly black and white photos on walls. A palette of black, white and green is fresh and interesting. The pink bathroom is another story. There's not much you can do to update this one. It will always be pink. I would probably just keep everything white - white towels, white walls - to quieten the pink (as opposed to making it even busier it with more colour). Good luck from Montreal!
0 Likes   May 9, 2014 at 12:26PM
decoenthusiaste
Glad to see you made the most of them! They both look great!
1 Like   May 9, 2014 at 12:40PM
Denita
Love both of them! Especially the pink bathroom. Job well done :) What was the final wall color name and brand you painted in the pink bath?
1 Like   May 9, 2014 at 12:45PM
Kathleen Wynia
Love the pink bathroom! Thanks for saving it!
0 Likes   September 7, 2014 at 9:21PM