powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Redoing my home office in my basement and stuck on how to spice it up further -- any suggestions? perhaps mor
suzy92
January 28, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I have a chocolate accent chair on the adjacent wall as well.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Darzy
Your photo has a fish bowl effect. Can you re-take and do the entire room?
1 Like   January 28, 2013 at 6:15PM
Brooke Olson
I think you need some color. A colorful (BOLD colors) rug and an accent color wall or a larger piece of art in a more modern print.
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 6:26PM
Brooke Olson
[houzz=
] I think this has a nice feel and follows your existing colors.
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 6:29PM
suzy92
@Darzy -- I will retake (was using a new feature on my phone:)
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 6:30PM
centaurita
Need a differnet photo but my very first thought is color on the walls. Take a good look at your artwork and choose a nice uplifting color that is not dominate in them but is present in all of them. You definately need to hide the cords somehow and I can't tell from the photo for sure, but maybe put the bookcase in the corner or where the brown chair is and move that art peice.
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 6:32PM
suzy92
I was thinking of this Benjamin Moore color red rock2005-10walls which is a clay red
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 7:14PM
Brooke Olson
In a basement that may get a bit dark. I LOVE the idea of accenting with red throughout the room. Keep the walls lighter and use red in a carpet, your lamp and desk accessories and items on your bookshelf, etc.
1 Like   January 28, 2013 at 7:19PM
centaurita
that is a beautiful color for an office space. My office room in my last house was a barn red color and it always made me feel good being in there. See pic. ( My desk was closed up in the armoire in this photo to hide my mess :)
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 7:21PM
centaurita
Re: Brooke's comment - I did have a lot of windows in my red room - It is a good point! Maybe just paint one wall in your color choice.
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 7:28PM
suzy92
I was going to start by painting the wall behind the desk that red I mentioned and I found a zebra rug in a tan and deep brownish red that I think would complement the accent wall
2 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 7:46PM
centaurita
It sounds like your juices are flowing Suzy92, and I would go with it :)
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 8:03PM
suzy92
Should I leave the accent wall blank once I get it painted red or should I still look for a bold piece of art?
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 8:07PM
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 8:43PM
suzy92
Attached are better pictures of my home office I am renovating -- by the way, I will be hiding the cables soon.
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 11:41AM
casacomoda
After seeing your art, I'm thinking that a grey blue would look nice on the walls, but I think a Dijon mustard yellow would be much more dramatic and "spice" it up a lot. I painted a small, interior powder room in our basement Dijon and you can't imagine how good it looks. Actually makes the room look much larger, but also so warm.

Have you considered rearranging the desk to face out into the room? I would experiment with putting it angled in front of one of the back corners; whichever would be facing the entrance to the room. You would just need to try a few different arrangements with the other components of the room and see what works, but I really do think that not only will it look better with the desk facing into the room, but also will be more pleasant to work.
4 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 12:25PM
centaurita
I think casacomoda has a good point with the dijon color. There is a nice yellow color in both of your art peices and if you do go with the red accent wall it won't be a deal breaker since red and yellow look really nice together if done right.
1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 1:15PM
suzy92
That's a great idea -- I have a mini dilemma because of how the room is wired with turning the desk around. I was able to get a 7x7 zebra rug which has the clay red in it which has added a mini spice to the room. Do you think the dijon mustard will work with this added look? I do agree that the red accent wall behind the desk will bring out the rug and the other walls in the dijon mustard will make it really pop.
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 1:25PM
orangecamera
I would like to second casacomoda's comment about moving the desk so you're not facing a wall like that. You can always get those tracks to put on the floor to cover the wires. You may also be able to find a power strip where you can plug in everything and keep it close to (under) your desk, and then only have one wire going from the desk to the wall.
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 1:30PM
casacomoda
Like you're rug. Not saying that it absolutely wouldn't go with the dijon or red, but seeing it on the grey carpet - that's a lot of different colors going on. I might rethink things now that the rug has come into play and would look at some samples in a straw, chocolate, deep aqua, strong gray with blue undertones or rusty orange. Still have to say that if you can figure out a way to work the wiring, swinging that desk around will do more for this room than all the other things put together.
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 2:04PM
Blue
In response to the wires and cable management issues raised above, I have these products and LOVE them. They work great. No one can see any of my cords.
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 3:07PM
orangecamera
Blue, nice way to manage those cords. I see the ones on the desk are from Room and Board. Can you give more info about the floor one? Who makes it, and where can it be purchased? Thanks for sharing.
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 4:13PM
PRO
Committed Photography, Inc.
Awesome office space. I would consider changing out the art. Going from a gold frame to maybe a black or even canvas. Here are a few pieces to look at. Everything on the site is made to your specification so you can choose the size, material, frame, etc. Hope you enjoy!
http://www.committedphotography.ca/photos/frame/428
http://www.committedphotography.ca/photos/frame/600
http://www.committedphotography.ca/photos/frame/2636

www.committedphotography.ca
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 4:22PM
Blue
The cable keeper box is by blue lounge. I got mine at the container store. Sort of pricey for a plastic box, but they do have a power strip inside. Amazon has a knock off for about $13 but no power strip. Amazon' s are slightly smaller and ended up working great under a piece of furniture that I have. All told, I think i currently have four in use around the house. Well worth the investment.
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 4:49PM
orangecamera
Thanks Blue :)
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 4:50PM
PRO
MirrorWindows.com
How about something to open up the space and add some architecture; Mirror Windows are perfect for basements.
2 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 4:55PM
suzy92
My near finished project thus far -- need to finish bundling the cables
2 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 8:07AM
decoenthusiaste
If it will fit and you don't need to access it often from the desk, I'd reverse the bookcase and chair. You need a counterweight to the dark wall and desk, so the bookcase between the two doors would do it. Also, consider painting the doors black (or expresso, if that will match the bookcase.) Search black door in the box above here on Houzz and see how great they look!
1 Like   February 7, 2013 at 9:43AM
suzy92
That's a good idea -- I don't need to access the bookshelf much so I could move it.
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 9:50AM
suzy92
Once I do that, should I leave the wall as is or move my art around?
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 9:54AM
orangecamera
Just want to say I think your office is looking good! I like your lamp.
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 12:19PM
centaurita
It's looking really nice! I like the lamp too. It looks like you will have to move the picture above the chair if you put the bookcase there. I see the point about moving the bookcase for balance but will it be awkward to have it so close to the door? And will it make it more difficult to get behind your desk?
I wish I could stand there and envision the doors darker as suggested, because that sounds like it would do the trick. Not sure how it would look with all the white trim. I will have to take the advice of
decoenthusiaste, and maybe see an example.
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 6:40PM
centaurita
Hmm - not bad :)
I searched google images for black door white trim + decorating.
I gotta say, It looks pretty darn good!
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 6:49PM
suzy92
It may work -- will move the case and see how it looks - stay tuned
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 6:57PM
decoenthusiaste
The art can be adjusted later if needed. What is hanging behind the desk now. Would the art with the red sailboat work there? I'd prefer the gold frame over the unframed poster I saw earlier. I think this will make for a striking office! Glad you like the idea! Anxious to see the outcome!
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 6:58PM
suzy92
Regarding the door, I think painting the doors black could possibly take away from my basement being this is the first part you see when you come down the stairs
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 7:00PM
suzy92
I have nothing hanging on the red wall right now. All the art pieces in there are framed .
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 7:02PM
suzy92
I am thinking of reframing the piece in espresso or changing it out with some other pieces I have.
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 7:04PM
decoenthusiaste
About the doors; is it possible that all the doors in the basement would be improved by a coat of the black? Maybe you can get some sheets of black poster board and tape over one of the doors to see what you think. You don't necessarily have to paint both sides of the doors, just the office side and the edge that shuts into the office.
0 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 8:42AM