powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Has anyone EVER seen this before?? Help!!
Steve Miller
January 28, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I need help - not sure if there is any way to fix the mortar- Also, check out this ceiling!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kimdee24
Wow, it's interesting fireplace week on Houzz! And what a crazy ceiling texture, I've never seen anything like it. Wow!
5 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 7:13PM
carolannr
Looks like the person doing that just didn't want to rent the texturing gun! Its obviously done with a splash brush and loose drywall mud. I even seen it before when a DIY homeowner wanted a chesp shortcut to cover his bad drywall seams!
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 7:22PM
onthefence
I do have to say that's kind of a neat fireplace. The chains hanging off the right side are a little alarming though!

It looks like someone already tried to fix the mortar on the hearth portion.

I agree with kdeley - it's interesting FP week here!
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 7:25PM
Darzy
Holy Smokes! Yes, interesting fireplace week! Except for the mortar part, I actually like the shape. :) That ceiling? Nope, haven't seen anything like it before. Scrap that off! lol This could be a really "cool" place.
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 7:31PM
Steve Miller
Planning on putting new drywall on ceiling and installing a bonfire style gas log set into fireplace - just hoping I can chisel the mortar off - BTW, the green rug is going too!
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 7:35PM
Darzy
For the fireplace...how about a thin wood veneer rich wood tone wrapped around the top and bottom? But, do leave the brick ledge? Or, wrap copper top/bottom? Very cool.
3 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 7:38PM
onthefence
Curiosity is killing me though...what IS with the chains on the right?
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 7:40PM
Steve Miller
The chains control the flue - Actually the brick, heavy chain & ceiling make for a very gothic atmosphere
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 7:43PM
Darzy
Do you want to keep the Gothic look - updated? What style would you like to go? Cuz, I'm thinking modern. On the brick wall, cover with a 3D wall panel and everything else smooth sheetrock. IF you smooth out the mortar/FP round.

0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 7:46PM
Brooke Olson
I love Darzy's idea of the veneer on the top and bottom. And bring back the mid-century feel in the room. Love it...reminds me of my grandparents mid century remodel in their florida bungalow.
2 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 7:46PM
lefty47
HI -- So true I have never seen so many interesting fireplaces , as this week . This one is a hum dinger ! That ceiling is terrible , I think there might be bats in there . Anyway , I think you should keep the style of the fireplace but maybe have it rebuilt , that's the only way. They use to do that sqwished morter in the 60's , I think they use to call it the California look .But that ceiling will have to be torn down and new drywall put up . You never mentioned the carpet , but I hope that is going to go also.
1 Like   January 28, 2013 at 7:51PM
bethanne1
What could the chains have supported?
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 7:51PM
14thstreet
I've seen that ceiling texture a few times. Around here they call that sort of application cal-coat and it is a different process and material than drywall and mud. Unless your walls are regular drywall and texture, this may be throughout the entire house. It is extremely durable and tough, with sound deadening qualities. In certain regions it is quite popular, but not known in most. Unfortunately the only way to remove it is to start over. If it is indeed cal-coat it is a VERY hard material...I would imagine it would be less work to put a new ceiling in than to try and sand it.
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 7:52PM
Steve Miller
Carpet IS going - Love the veneer idea! We have been planning on going with the re-clammed wood, restoration hardware look -
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 7:54PM
PRO
Ironwood Builders
Back home in Indiana we called that ceiling texture "stomp". It was/is loose drywall mud squished onto the ceiling with a big double brush... Generally done by tract builders to save $$ on finishing.
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 8:12PM
mmilos
The ceiling has gotta go. I like your fireplace and Darzy's veneer idea.

I'd gladly swap my "California" indoor fire pit fireplace for your "California" fireplace. ;) Unfortunately mine would be harder to veneer without making bigger.
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 8:48PM
onthefence
That makes sense about the chains. Thank you ;-)

There are some great ideas here and you've got a great starting point. Can't wait to see where you go with this.
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 8:49PM
PRO
Jefferson Park Collection
That Fireplace is HOT! I used live in the San Fernando Valley in the late 70's. Reminds me of all the parties I went too and the houses that had fireplaces like that.
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 10:13PM
Dee Gould
I have no idea about fireplace however I must say..this hse must have some amazing features...I would never have gotten pass the fireplace before heading back out the door! ceiling...awful...drywall over...good luck w/ all
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 8:21AM
Steve Miller
hse?
1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 8:30AM
PRO
By Design EK
I like the idea of covering the brick if you can in this case. It is very heavy feeling but I love the rounded fireplace. I would tile over it if possible, a meshed tile would be easiest to curve. Love the ceiling texture, just kidding it made me laugh like stalagtites, definitely someones crazy idea and I am sure getting rid of it and the green carpet will help see the space in a whole new light! Good luck!
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 8:41AM
nasmijati
The mortar on the fireplace is called "weeping mortar," and was popular in the early to mid 1960s. I like the unusual shape of the fireplace. Could you get a consultation from a mason on repointing it?
I am sure there must be a more attractive way to operate the chimney flue.
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 11:50AM
Steve Miller
Thanks eztia - that really helped me find more info and to see how other people removed it!
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 12:15PM
nasmijati
Glad I could help. Will you post progress photos? This will be fun to watch!
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 12:56PM
Anna Rafdahl
That fireplace is very interesting and could be incredible! How about covering it with glass tile, a more modern approach. Even copper would be cool Good luck
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 1:04PM