powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Is there any way to change the color of mortar?
Steve Miller
January 28, 2013 in Design Dilemma
The black mortar in the brick wall makes it far to dark - Is there any way to change the color without painting all of the brick? BTW, we already removed the stove and are installing very light maple hard wood floors
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Ironwood Builders
Changing the color of that mortar will require grinding out the existing mortar and tuck pointing in new, lighter mortar. Dirty and labor intensive....wait until the absolute hottest day of he year to tackle this one...no don't. That's my last job, not this one!
1 Like   January 28, 2013 at 8:26PM
PRO
Ironwood Builders
Did I say labor intensive yet? Dirty? Not really recommended because if you try to do it yourself...you have to be really motivated to succeed.
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 8:28PM
Darzy
Hi Steve, on this brick wall I think I'd just paint it a creamy white. Then, put three fabulous canvas art the wall and make it a gallery. You can point the ceiling light directly on the art. That would look nice. Photo of creamy white painted brick:

0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 8:35PM
Susanna
I think Ironwood is right about no DIY and Darzy's idea I love. Gallery walls make me smile. However, If you don't like the suggestion for some reason, check out brick renew. com or brick refinishers online. I don't know them, just saying there are options to see.
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 8:50PM
More Discussions
small bathroom: 1/2 or full ?
I have a small bathroom to remodel. It is the downstairs...
Papers, Papers, UGH more Papers!
I am not a naturally organized person, but I really...
How do I pick a comfortable tub?
Are tubs rated for their comfort?
Need help updating living room
We are working on decorating our living room. Looking...
Need help with room for baby boy!
Room is very small, 6-7m2. It has wooden floor in...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.