Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
NEED HELP IN MY FAMILY ROOM
ger0824
January 28, 2013 in Design Dilemma
My family room space is all wrong. I have leather sofas in a cranberry color. The rug is beautiful with stainless steel insets but the color does not match, nor do the toss pillows. I just purchased two black end tables and I am looking for two new lamps – then I will remove the table lamp and free standing lamp. I also need to replace the coffee table, as well as the breakfast table. I do not particularly like the sofas but they were pricey and need to stay – I need to re-introduce a new color and was thinking of black/slate tones. Any comments would be much appreciated. I have a contemporary style.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Frederick Sterling Interiors
I like the sofas! But the cocktail table doesn't shout contemporary. There are so many wonderful rugs that incorporate black/gray/red/cranberry. Check out Rugsusa.com. I think I attached some here! ???? Would you be willing to paint your walls? Might warm the room up a bit. As to table, do you care for the attached glass one? It's not so heavy, lets you see the rug. Not sure if dimensions are good (51"W x 28"D x 16"H)
6 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 8:34PM
ger0824
Yes, forgot to mention - was given this coffee table by my brother until I find a new one - absolutely awful. I love your color scheme but not so much the flowers but I will check the website right away. As for the walls, they are a silver gray and not willing to do a repaint. Appreciate your comments. Thanks again.
1 Like   January 28, 2013 at 8:38PM
decoenthusiaste
I'd do the black as you said for the dining room and get a flokati rug and two fokati pillows for each sofa, glass coffee table and one or two funky accent chairs. Just search the box above under Photos for funky chair. You could use a great drum fixture over the dining table.
Sculptured Coffee Table
Claremont Residence
Hive C-U C-ME Hanging Pendant Lamp, Modern and contemporary suspension lamps at
Abbe Fenimore - Studio Ten 25
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 8:42PM
ger0824
Checked out the website - I like the grey pattern very much. Any idea on the colors of the cushions?
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 8:43PM
collettec
I would consider painting your walls in a gray, I think the white is too light with the dark couches. From what you noted in regard to color, it sounds like you want to replace the rug, one possibility might be something like this: http://www.potterybarn.com/products/zonia-printed-ikat-dhurrie-rug/?pkey=crugs-by-style&cm_src=rugs-by-style||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_--_-
Another possibility if you wanted to go in a different direction would be a chevron pattern rug in a black and white and a more modern black coffee table. Can't really see the dining area well, but could use a new more modern chandelier and could possibly wallpaper the dining room niche in a modern pattern perhaps gray and white. Silver would be a great accent as well. Another possible accent color - yellow.
4 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 8:44PM
PRO
Tres McKinney Design
Add a pair of chairs with a small drinks table in between facing the sofa with the painting above. This will help balance the room and complete a nice conversation area. The painting is hanging too hight drop it to about 8" over the sofa. You might also consider gray walls in a similar if not darker tone than the floor tile. The white walls seems a bit stark. Consider painting the wall behind the TV a darker color.
Replace the rug with something similar to what Kristisharp recommends.
3 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 8:48PM
Darzy
I think I'd introduce a mustard type yellow from the rug. And, add a brighter color to the sofas. The coffee table is nice, just not the modern look you want. I'd suggest an iron table with a light stone top.

2 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 8:50PM
ger0824
This is the exact table I am planning on purchasing from El Dorado in Florida.
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 8:50PM
Brooke Olson
Get some lighter throw pillows. Grey in a pattern. Chevron stripes or a geometric print.

Larger artwork.

Mount your tv and purchase a taller console table for under the tv. Maybe something with an industrial feel to pick up the greys and stainless accents in your rug.
2 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 8:51PM
8 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 8:52PM
PRO
Frederick Sterling Interiors
Forgot to attach cocktail table I have always liked. Maybe you will.
1 Like   January 28, 2013 at 8:53PM
curacaoblue
If you are keeping the rug and couches then calm them down with some grey or white pillows.
1 Like   January 28, 2013 at 8:54PM
Brooke Olson
I like these as coffee table and media console. You might also consider adding a sofa table behind the larger sofa. Add a lamp or two to add some additional height to the center of the room.
2 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 8:58PM
PRO
Simply Inspired Design
One thing to remember is that you don't necessarily want to create a new space around Sofas you don't love?
1 Like   January 28, 2013 at 9:00PM
Manon Floreat
Hi, gero824. I wonder if this over-dyed rug would appeal to you. It's available at Overstock. I've paired it with some pillows that may work for you and a simple silver leaf coffee table to contrast a bit with the black end tables and rug.
http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Grey-Black-Area-Rug-710-x-1010/6650161/product.html

I would encourage you to rethink the composition of the items you have on the upper shelves. It looks like you have a nice collection, and often times they can make more of an impact if grouped together rather than spread about. The theory is that the eye needs somewhere to rest.

I can't see the dining room well enough to offer any ideas except that I think a fabulous chandelier is a must! Can you post another pic?
7 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 9:17PM
Manon Floreat
I like really like the coffee table you shared, Darzy. I like that the goldish color in it references the frame of the art piece.
2 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 9:22PM
PRO
slaah
It will be beter if you change the place of the sofa that faceing the tv to face the other sofa this will give you big spase
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 9:26PM
Darzy
@Manon, I love your rug and pillows suggestions. You always have such good ideas! You definately have the "eye" for design. There are quite a few Houzzer commenters that I'm very impressed with.
2 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 9:32PM
Darzy
ger0824.. Forget the mustard idea. I like Manon's idea of losing the area rug (particularly if you must keep the sofas you don't love). Change out the rug and go from there.
1 Like   January 28, 2013 at 9:35PM
Judit
?
1 Like   January 28, 2013 at 9:52PM
PRO
slaah
If you wanted rug you can use naturale wood stools
1 Like   January 28, 2013 at 9:57PM
Manon Floreat
Thank you, Darzy! You are very kind AND have inspiring ideas yourself. It's a lot of fun to be a part of this community and people like you make it all the better.
3 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 9:58PM
Darzy
Thank you, Manon!
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 10:02PM
designideas4me
So what are you guys charging these days for a consult? lol

Manon I never heard that theory you mentioned that the eye needs somewhere to rest. You just making this stuff up as you go along..JK. Where did you get that from its interesting?
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 10:36PM
designideas4me
Manon..............forgot to ask you. How did you get all those pics into a collage like that?
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 10:37PM
Manon Floreat
I have been known to confabulate, but this one's real, designideas4me. I promise! It's a concept I picked up from casual art studies. Good interior design incorporates it. Painters often employ the concept in their works. It's kind of the zen or the art of negative space. You probably do so with your own works, but may not be consciously aware of it.

For the collages I use Paint.NET. It's free and pretty easy to use once you get the hang of it.
2 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 10:51PM
PRO
Susan Mills Design
Manon you are so right on with all your suggestions, you really do have natural talent for design, not only that but your words are so well chosen to express your thoughts.

The art of negative space can refer to all areas of life. Even when speaking, allowing space between words creates more impact. Everything needs space around it to be truly appreciated. :)
2 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 11:02PM
Manon Floreat
Oh, Susan. You're so beautiful.
2 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 11:11PM
PRO
Susan Mills Design
Ummm what does confabulate mean though? Lol.
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 11:23PM
PRO
Susan Mills Design
Thank goodness for google!
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 11:24PM
PRO
Susan Mills Design
Thanks for that Manon, and I googled and you do not!
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 11:28PM
onthefence
Manon and Susan - thank you both for those thoughts on negative space. My home is over-crowded now and it makes me jittery. Certain gallery walls do the same thing - it's like there are 129 places to look all at once and my poor little brain gets scrambled. The negative space concept makes a great deal of sense to me. Thanks for sharing those ideas.
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 11:31PM
PRO
Susan Mills Design
Onthefence, thank you,

Take out all things that are not beautiful or useful to you, give away or sell. It sounds as though this is very much effecting your peace of mind. It is so interesting to me how much our homes do affect us, and how much we affect our homes. Two books I have found very beneficial to my work are The Emotional Home and House As Mirror Of Self. See if you can find these at your library or perhaps online. You may find them very enlightening and helpful in knowing what's right for you and also why it is.
4 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 11:43PM
designideas4me
whatever........just go away and give me some space........................

I totally need my space... all day..............I get overwhelmed and overloaded easily. maybe thats why my house is so empty..............................maybe I am compensating?

What do you think about that doctor Floreat
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 12:16AM
PRO
LB Interiors
I'll second the others above. Too much to look at, too much clutter, creates anxiety. The eye doesn't know where or what to look at first and flits from one thing to another. You want a nice smooth flow and time to take it all in.

onthefence, perfect way to get rid of things that we call "stuff" or "junk".
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 12:19AM
designideas4me
Hey I was going to tell you I am getting over 4000 back on my taxes. Sometimes it pays to be poor..lol

I didnt know your a Belly Dancer. That is so cool.
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 12:33AM
designideas4me
OMG>>>> YOU ARE GORGEOUS

Just saw your website.

your an interesting person for sure.
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 12:37AM
Manon Floreat
Designideas for me: I think we should get those books that Susan recommended. I'll add another. It's called Spirit of the Home: How to Make Your Home a Sanctuary. It's a holistic perspective of our dwelling spaces. And it even has a little magic in it!

Onthefence, it's a New Year. A perfect time to purge and start anew. It feels really good, too.
1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 12:40AM
designideas4me
Yes I am looking at your website and learning how interesting your are ... I call babybear "cookie monster" because I call her treats cookies and she looks like a little monster. What mediteranian country are you from? Has that influenced your outlook on art and life? you seem very spiritual and very comfortable with yourself and your body. I really admire that. I am mediteraian as well.
1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 12:44AM
1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 12:47AM
PRO
LB Interiors
My opinion, I'm so sorry guys,
..... but I'm real overloaded with so many suggestions using gray. Is everyone's home going to have some shade of gray? I like gray but that's all I'm seeing for ideas. Somehow it's become the predominant color for almost any dilemma. Sorry but I'm ???????

Oh well,
Such is life. Such is design. Trends get too oversaturated like ... remember green & gold, blue & mauve, red & black. black & yellow, white or beige walls, blue & peach? Everybody had to have it.

Now it's stainless steel & granite, gray/greige, black or espresso furniture. Where's the creativity? Are we afraid that others will think that if we stray from the current trend in design, that it will not be accepted as good design?

I truly apologize. I'm not bashing. My emotions got to me for a moment.

If a client likes our suggestions ... that's all that really counts. This forum is great to voice all our dreams and ideas.

Ultimately, I find most of the ideas are good. A few tweeks here and there, but in the end, it's what pleases the homeowner.

I apologize again, I most likely will not get any "likes" on this posting and that's really ok.
12 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 12:47AM
designideas4me
Ok I am going to order it now. you talked me into it. Looks interesting and maybe it will help me
1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 12:51AM
onthefence
Manon and Susan, thanks so much for the book recommendations. The Emotional Home is actually on my goodreads.com to read list. I'll add the others and bump them up to a higher spot!

So much of the 'stuff' here really is beautiful to me/us - either in a visual way or a sentimental way. It's just that there is too *** much of it!

Your book recommendations I know will help. So much of this I think are things we all intrinsically know at some level. We just need reminders and sometimes to have it spelled out in front of us. I think that's why this thread has given me one of those "V8 head slap" moments!

Thank you again to all of you for pointing this out. And my apologies to ger0824 for derailing your thread!
1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 12:52AM
onthefence
LB - one last quick comment on your last post - I'm just a homeowner. No design skills under my belt at all. But if I see one more white painted oak kitchen/white painted fireplace, I may scream.

Have you ever seen the skit from Portlandia called "Put a Bird on it"? I kind of think of paint it gray/paint it white as "Put a Bird on it" moments. The funny part is I LIKE gray and white painted things...and some of the changes I've seen are truly astounding. It's just that personally, I don't want my house to look like every other house. I need some 'me' here.

For your viewing pleasure:
5 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 12:57AM
PRO
LB Interiors
ok, a fresh start, now that I got my speech over with.

I really really like the cranberry sofas. It's one of my "many" favorite colors. I love color, fabrics, pattern, solids, textures and all the flooring, window treatments, accessories and furniture and everything in design that is a world of choices. Speaking of window treatments, have you noticed that many many suggestions are panels? What about all the other great design options? Oh no, here I go again.

I will be posting a design room idea of color ideas later.
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 1:01AM
designideas4me
I learn so much on this site every day. The books look great. Onthefence........I helped my mother get rid of soooooooooo much stuff she didnt need. She is 83 and had stuff from i dont know at least 60 years ago. She also has trouble finding things as she is older and has dimentia. I went through all her boxes filled with stuff. It took weeks and months and we still do it every 6 months.I am the opposite of her. I love and need complete organization and get rid of anything I have not used or wont use. I always feel someone else can be using it if I am not. Plus its great to make things more simple in our busy crazy lives. I think one you learn to let go you will feel better in so many ways.
1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 1:03AM
PRO
LB Interiors
on the fence, thanks for the "like'. I'm with you 100% on this. I'm just a homeowner too, so we're equal. You are too cute in your last comment. Made me smile!
1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 1:06AM
PRO
LB Interiors
designideas4me, you're right.

Regarding hanging onto sentimental things ..... I tell my clients, (you) we really don't need an object that we may not care for a whole lot, collecting dust, or packed away and not see it, and possibly forget we even have it.

I don't need something of their's to remember them or feel the love we had. They are forever in my heart and soul! I reflect on our memories together and the fun times.

If you love it and means a great deal, then yes, keep it. None of us have room in our homes to store all the years of mementos that are "not our cup of tea". It's a freeing feeling!
1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 1:13AM
PRO
LB Interiors
Just posted for color combination inspiration not for design idea.

1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 1:18AM
PRO
LB Interiors
Look at this combo --- aren't they yummy and fresh.
Maybe add some to your sofa or carpet?

Well, I'm not surprised, in my search nothing else at the moment stood out for me. I was thinking ........ small doses of cranberry, yellow, red-purple, black with "touches" of gray, glass or iron coffee table. Or a painted coffee table in light yellow. Maybe I'm crazy, but the room search looked all the same.

1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 1:25AM
PRO
Tracy Taylor
Just a thought, but you could go in a totally different direction with the room and the color scheme and still keep the couches...
4 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 2:25AM
PRO
Tres McKinney Design
Tracy Taylors ideas would really warm up the space and work beautifully with the cranberry sofas.
2 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 9:54AM
collettec
I really like Tres McKinney's ideas for a wall color of a bit darker gray than the floor color. I do agree that trends get played out too much and that gray is a hot trend now, however you have cranberry colored sofas, so I still think a neutral is a good choice for a wall color, though certainly could do a color as well. I would definitely add more color with larger art. I think what is behind the sofa is too small, with too little impact and color - you could use something more vibrant. As LB Interiors noted in the end what matters is what pleases the "client" in this case, you as the homeowner/poster and since you noted that you were interested in slate -more in the gray range, that's something to consider when making recommendations. Good luck! (Really like all the book recommendations and discussions on space as well! )
1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 10:36AM
PRO
JUL313 Gallery
Pop out the wall a bit with a large painting. I have an excellent choice that I completed called Chaos. LOTS of colors--then feed off those colors and incorporate them into pillows, wall colors etc. You could really change the whole dynamic of the room!! I also just completed one with gorgeous shades of burgandys and reds. http://JUL313.com. Both of these works are large 36 x 72 and could really stand their own in this room. Good luck!
2 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 11:23AM
PRO
LB Interiors
I'm sure you mentioned at the onset that your walls are already a silver gray and you're not willing to paint. So, wall color stays and all the rest of us need to make that work.
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 12:38PM
PRO
LB Interiors
High ledge. I like whats there, but add other pieces to go with. Maybe 3 substantial groupings .... wide space between groupings. In each grouping - items that are different heights and MUST have items large enough. No small knick knacks.

Artwork - I agree with someone to move artwork down, closer to sofa.
You can also create a grouping - move painting to the left and down. Right side of painting add 2 artworks of choice. Could use 2 metal/iron sculptures if you will have metal/iron somewhere else in the room. Keep the width of the grouping within the space of that sofa back length.
or ...... 3 artworks placed within sofa back length

ART ...........
3 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 12:51PM
onthefence
The thing that really strikes me when I look at the 2nd photo is that this seems to be an island of color. Would there be a way to incorporate some of the color into the kitchen and surrounding areas?

BTW, I really love the couch! I do think when you find the right rug and pillows you're going to have an amazing room!
3 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 12:56PM
collettec
Sorry Ger0824, LB is correct and I did not read your add on when I made my first recommendation - because I was typing my original comment before you added in your add on about the silver gray as a given wall color, as probably was Tres McKinney.
I do respect your choices - including silver gray as a wall color - but since you indicated that you "liked" my original comment and wasn't sure what part - including possibly my recommendations on gray wall color, thought I'd add in my two cents worth further on that specific area. You're looking for ideas, some which you may not have considered which LB Interiors gave as well, all are useful for consideration and I don't think anyone else's ideas that they are giving trying to contribute need to be criticized. So yes, LB Interiors, I think we do all need to "make that work". Ger0824, you have a lovely room and lots of contributors working to really help make this an even lovelier space with their contributions including LB Interiors - good luck to you.
3 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 12:59PM
PRO
LB Interiors
EMZC - THAT'S HAPPENED TO ME TOO. Totaly agree with your comments!
2 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 1:08PM
ger0824
I have spent the last couple of hours reviewing everyone's comments on my family room and taking notes - and what wonderful ideas. I have picked up lots of color schemes, repainting the walls, changing the rug for sure, switching color ideas on the toss pillows and much more. I appreciate everyone's effort in actually taking the time to write and having an interest in my room re-design. Now you have seen the BEFORE PHOTO - for sure, I will post the AFTER photo. Thanks a million to everyone for sharing.
6 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 1:13PM
PRO
LB Interiors
Art idea - to make this concept work for you, using 2 contrast colors to the silver gray wall
Must be a larger sculpture than photo.
Beach House Bridgehampton

Painted rectangle idea (your choice of colors)
1. 1st color - Paint out a large rectangle (contrast color of choice) sofa length
2. 2nd color - Add a painted contrast border, (contrast color of choice)
3. Place artwork within the rectangle

Painted rectangle ex:
Metallic Faux Painted walls. painted border, Hand painted Scroll Design
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 1:35PM
ger0824
I really like the idea of painting out a large rectangle (sofa length) - thanks, another wonderful idea.
2 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 1:55PM
onthefence
I agree about the rectangle painted on the wall ger0824. I think there's so much you can do with that creatively where you're much more limited with hanging art.
2 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 2:33PM
PRO
LB Interiors
Thanks, onthefence.
1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 2:58PM
PRO
slaah
Tis is concpts work thank you
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 9:23PM
PRO
slaah
You are willcome
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 9:59PM
PRO
LB Interiors
Want to say thank you to "onthefence".
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 10:27PM
PRO
slaah
Thanks all of you for your kind words
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 10:28PM
PRO
slaah
Im sorry Im speaking defrent languge some times icant explen very good and my spleeing is not good
1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 10:39PM
PRO
LB Interiors
I'm sorry too, ok I understand.
1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 10:51PM
onthefence
And you're very welcome from me too LB ;-) I'm 'wall space poor' and I've always loved that idea and wished I had a place to do it in our current house.
2 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 10:55PM
PRO
slaah
LB/onthefence,thank you very much for your kink tretment and lovely comments i hope to receved more comments from you about my comments its good comments or not
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 11:10PM
PRO
LB Interiors
I can't imagine the difficulty with another language.
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 12:14AM
PRO
LB Interiors
Thank you all so much, those that posted "like" on my speech above. Maybe I'm not crazy.
I really appreciate it. I really didn't think anyone would "like" .
1 Like   January 30, 2013 at 12:29AM
Keena Paul
Hello. If you want to have a classic room. First, think of a theme that matches your personality. Then, there you can base your decors and color. For example, if you want a vintage theme. Then, opt for neutral colors and decors that are vintage looking. Right?
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 12:45AM
PRO
Ironwood Builders
LB, thank you, I was afraid we were all going to restoration hardware for eternity. And for context James Ruskin, that crazy English arts and crafts William Morris inspirer said, "Have nothing in your home you don't believe to be beautiful or know to be useful". It's late here, so I may have twisted that back to front, but you got the drift! Slaah, you have one of the most prolific and interesting design threads I've seen. You inspired these women and they are creating a community because of you! Congratulations!
4 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 12:55AM
PRO
Lifuwa Designer Studio
test
1 Like   January 30, 2013 at 12:58AM
PRO
LB Interiors
Iron Builders. I like your quote, said correctly or not. Thanks for the kindness.
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 1:52AM
PRO
LB Interiors
slaah, check out the comment from Iron Builders about You.
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 1:56AM
collettec
Slaah, Thank you so much for contributing. Have been following the thread and checked out your site - your work is beautiful. One of the most wonderful things that I've seen with this site is the ability to connect to others in the rest of the world and thank you for your contribution from Sudan. Everything that I've heard of your country is of the great design and history of design from clothing to furnishings and art and so wonderful to have that contribution and what you're doing personally. My work as a writer has involved covering what has been occurring in Sudan - Thank you from me for everything you've been doing - Elaine Marie Zita
1 Like   January 30, 2013 at 2:10AM
collettec
Ironwood Builders, I agree with you.
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 2:10AM
PRO
slaah
It cemes to me that lm not speeck quite perfct English sorry for that
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 4:16AM
PRO
slaah
Emezc,you are right you under stand me about difrent direction iwant new look to be ub to date that make people stonished
2 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 4:22AM
PRO
slaah
Ironwood Builders,thank you very mutch your werds touch me deebly in side wellcom as agood desiner that feleeing good towrds new design
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 4:34AM
designideas4me
LB .... I do think gray is the answer to all of lifes problems. Its totally in the middle and non commital. hey that rhymed.
2 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 7:42PM
PRO
Alexei Rebrov Art
Speaking of red sofa, I have couple designs you maybe interested in http://alexeirebrov.com/collections/wall-design/products/night-street-abstract-wall-design-2?hzz
3 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 9:47PM
PRO
slaah
Susanna artist/ you are realy verry very good designer i loved your idea
0 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 1:28AM
PRO
slaah
Susanna/i hope that to be big desiner ,you now that every time beutifull lock come from deeply in side the persson without that feeling every thing will be ugley
0 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 2:05AM
Billie G
@Slaah, I noticed that sometimes your English is quite good. At other times not so much. Odd?
0 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 4:49AM
PRO
slaah
Susanna/ their is no difrance in bettwen art and intrnal design both of them comes from your inside feeling this beutifll feeling gives so maney things beutifllness
1 Like   January 31, 2013 at 8:33AM
PRO
slaah
Billie G/i am verry sorry iam not English speaker some times icant explane
0 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 8:37AM
PRO
LB Interiors
Thank you all so much for the "likes" on my speech. I guess I have a few friends. Thanks!
0 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 9:49AM
PRO
LB Interiors
Re: gray again... being non-committal. I put it in the same category when everyone was using only - white or beige for walls. Trends that seemed to say it was the only way to go! I like to be different and I think that is what good design should be! Out of the box!!
1 Like   January 31, 2013 at 9:53AM
PRO
slaah
LB interiors/you havent got few frend ,yuo have got mre freds ihope that you going to keeb toch with them thank you for your kind feeling
1 Like   January 31, 2013 at 10:16AM
lslg4
I love the sofas!!
0 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 10:21AM
PRO
LB Interiors
Thanks slaah. how nice of you to post this. Means a lot! Have a great day today!
0 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 10:25AM
bushyp75
Ger0824, Is this a Rutenberg Home? The layout is very similar to mine. One little change I found very helpful is pulling the sofa away from the wall, makes for an easier flow to the end room. I'm redecorating at the moment and will definitely steel some of the suggestions here.
0 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 10:56AM
PRO
slaah
Islag4/me tow
0 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 11:07AM
PRO
slaah
Bushyp75/one lettle change is not good ,make it more to see the deffrent you hade made
1 Like   January 31, 2013 at 11:30AM
nononanna
Has anyone suggestied taupe insead of gray? I like Tracy's color scheme way up the discussion - warm, calming but lots of personality.
1 Like   January 31, 2013 at 12:17PM
jordankeen10
You should use a gray shag carpet
0 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 12:20PM
Donna Colvin-Smith
I agree with some of the posters, the wall color is WAY to light, it makes those couches stand out like a sore thumb! If you are keeping them, paint the walls a rich grey, a big rug in black, maroon and grey would look awesome, and a glass coffee table would complete the look.
1 Like   January 31, 2013 at 3:43PM
PRO
LA Herget Interiors
Grey would be great on walls. I would add a larger sisal under current rug to warm up the space and house the tv in a large cabinet for some weight in the room.
0 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 3:56PM
PRO
slaah
Bushyp75/one lettle change is not good ,make it more to see the deffrent you hade made
1 Like   January 31, 2013 at 9:39PM
Summer Scott
def paint the room. warm it up. get rid of the fake plant and get real ones that are half as tall. perhaps two to add symmetry and balance.
the pillows need a serious update and that will change SO much. that's the first step.
the art on the wall is cold and floating a bit high.
can you do a photo collage of matted family photos so it feels more family? http://www.thedesignfile.net/thedesignfile/2010/10/great-photo-collages-from-room-board.html
here's a wonderful website that can inspire how to arrange the photos and how far to space them from each other and the couch.

can you move your couches over the other side of the room to create a clear path and flow from the hallway? it looks like you walk right into a couch when you enter the room.
i'm not crazy about the vase, jug, and plate up top. they seem meaningless... but you should cluster them if you're going to have them up there.
good luck!!!
0 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 10:02PM
Mike Slater
Ger0824 has had a lot of good advice. It would be great to hear which pieces she's inclined to select, but perhaps she is overwhelmed and stopped reading all the many responses.

I hope, at a minimum, she a loses the fake plant, picks a new rug with a geometric print, mounts the TV and puts a console, credenza or other piece with an industrial edge under it, and replaces the coffee table. I think a modern accent chair, small table and reading lamp in the back left corner would be a nice touch, too.
1 Like   January 31, 2013 at 10:41PM
ger0824
Yes, all the responses can be overwhelming but I have made a list of all the ideas. This is my plan: paint the back wall a darker shade of gray; replace rug in modern black/slate color; replace the cushions in different color and textures; add two new lamps to the end table and purchase a square large coffee table with a glass top. I will be keeping the plant (silk in best in Florida) but have decided to purchase a longer credenza for the TV - it will not be put on the wall at this point. We will be downsizing in a few years so i want to modernize the room and stage it eventually for selling. I also intend to replace the picture with a larger mural. So, I hope everyone more or less agrees with my plan so far - I do appreciate all the help and the advice and particularly for everyone to take the time to write and express their thoughts.
1 Like   February 3, 2013 at 8:31AM
Mike Slater
Sounds like a great plan. When you're finished and if you think of it, please post some after pictures.

Good luck!
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 1:10PM
PRO
LB Interiors
Good Luck, from me too!
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 3:11PM
PRO
slaah
Tv back wall should be paint in dark nevy paint,dont do any things ells and dont change any fernture to any place it looks better
0 Likes   February 4, 2013 at 7:07AM
PRO
LB Interiors
Thanks to ger0824 for the likes. And thanks to Tracy Taylor for a like somewhere on this long post.
0 Likes   February 6, 2013 at 11:53PM
Leanne Lovie
You sound like you have everything figured out, but I noticed that you spoke really fondly about the rug in the initial post so I wanted to add my idea to make the rug and couches work together.

Replace the pillows with something more orange. A red-orange with yellow accents would be ideal.
Paint the walls a goldenrod or straw yellow. A nice medium tone that's bright without being too loud.
Add some more dramatic artwork that features red tones and add about three more items to your ledge display.
0 Likes   February 7, 2013 at 2:39AM
PRO
slaah
I am with your nice choice
0 Likes   February 8, 2013 at 12:31AM