powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with paint colors or ideas for open concept apartment!
rlauryn1993
January 28, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We need some color in our new apartment desperately! As you can see in attached photos, our apartment is very open- the living room connects to our dining area as well as our kitchen. However, we are concerned about overwhelming the space by doing too much. What would YOU do?

Any input would be MUCH appreciated! Thank you!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Simply Inspired Design
You have a very unique space. The one thing to consider there is colour. You have orange/yellow wood cabinets, and I believe from the photo the carpets are taupe/ with a slight pink in them? Once you know the undertone in your carpets if they are staying then you will have a better way of knowng what direction to go.
Does this make sense?
January 28, 2013 at 8:57pm   
PRO
Tres McKinney Design
I recommend that you add a wall or partition to block off most of the kitchen just on the other side of the sofa end table. It looks like the builder got a little too carried away with angled walls which is a challenge to work with. I would also close off the door behind the armless chair next to the TV. You need a large painting or grouping of prints over the sofa and a larger scaled table lamp in a darker material to balance the deer head and dark wood TV cabinet on the other side of the room. Decorative pillows on the sofa in colors that compliment the rug will also balance the room. If you prefer to keep the room open to the kitchen then I recommend painting the kitchen cabinets white or stain them dark like your living room furniture.
January 28, 2013 at 9:16pm     
Jennifer Hogan
First thing is to go to your closet and look at your wardrobe. What colors make your heart sing? Remember that your home should reflect your personality.

Do you truly love neutral and sage green? I would paint the walls surrounding the kitchen and the ceilings in a color like Devine Stone and then paint the rest of the space Devine Moss and hang a large picture above the couch with bold autumn colors and place a few pillows and accent pieces around with the colors from the picture.

Simply Inspired Design is correct that picking the right neutral tan/beige can be difficult. Every neutral has a base color and they don't all work together. A pink undertone to the carpet or flooring will make a lot of tans look like dime store pancake makeup. A yellow undertone on the carpet or flooring will make taupe look purple and pink undertones in the tans look pink on your walls. Attaching a picture of a green and pink based neutral so you can see what we are talking about.

I love that you can order an 8!/2 x 11 painted sheet from Devine Color for $2.29. No painting splotches all over your walls and you can move them around the room and get a feel for the color in different lighting and against different furniture. Painted samples are so much better than paper. Paper never reflects the actual color.

If you don't love a neutral sage pallet, but love purple or blue or red then my color selections would be very different.
January 28, 2013 at 11:52pm     
anthip
A nice screen would look good at the far end of the sofa. It would break the long view back to the kitchen and make the space seem cosier.
January 29, 2013 at 12:04am   
designideas4me
unless the cat killed the deer and likes to look at her trophy I would take that head off the wall. I dont think it goes with anything personally.
January 29, 2013 at 12:11am     
janehommel
Remove the corpse and make a hip glassbar on the kitchencounter. Add 2 classic barchairs and a beautiful painting above the couch. Then it's perfect.
January 29, 2013 at 1:14am   
Debra Parker
Check out Ben Moore HC111, Nantucket Grey, it's a neutral but adds color and could be used in the space. It's a soothing color you will never tire of. I have used in two different houses now and it goes with everything. I have an open concept townhouse now and this color really flows well in all rooms from living spaces to bed and bath The use of one color makes the space flow better.
January 29, 2013 at 3:53am     
rlauryn1993
Tres, as much as I would love to paint the cabinets or add walls, structural changes are not an option as the apartment is only a rental. However, thank you for your suggestions on the pictures and the lamp… the deer head is a family heirloom of my boyfriends and therefore is here to stay! Accenting the head is definitely a suggestion I will be taking you up on.

As for the carpet, it is a very basic beige color.. more of a sandy tone than a pink. We were actually leaning towards a sage color in the living room so I am happy to hear that you all would suggest a green!

Debra, thank you so much for your suggestion of the BM Nantucket Gray… i have instantly fallen in love with the color! Would you (or anyone else) suggest painting both the living room and dining area in the Nantucket or going with a complimentary/contrasting color palette for the adjoining rooms?
January 29, 2013 at 10:23am