Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with our space planning
ledroit
January 28, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hello everyone. Does anyone have a better idea with this plan? I think it has a problem but I can't figure it. Can you help me? Please
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Barbra Bright Design
Hi there, I'll just address the kitchen. Although I cannot scale your floor plan, I suspect that your work triangle is to longer than 26' . According to the NKBA guidelines, no leg of the triangle should be longer than 9'. I suspect that the distance between the ref and the sink is longer than that. You could remedy this by moving the sink and D/W to the island or just by adding a second sink. Prepping and cooking will be more efficient--I promise!
1 Like   January 28, 2013 at 9:57PM
gkemp
My first thought is in regards to proportion. The intended use for the addition looks undersized compared to the size of the living room, kitchen, and dining space. This great room concept may be a little too open. Typically, if there are two living areas and two dining areas, one of each is usually separated (not in full view) from the other two. That is, made more intimate for occasions which require separation from the tv, kitchen noises, and general family noise. If your lifestyle does not require this "separation", I would eliminate one seating area and one dining area. Or, re-define the new space. Consider concepts like a Morning Room or a Hearth Room. Incorporate a walk-in pantry and an area for storage. Lastly, I would ask your designer to include some end tables with lighting and console tables/ bookcases in the next revision.
1 Like   January 28, 2013 at 10:40PM
PRO
Urbana ~ Designer Ellen Crystal
Yes the living room & dining are very large, but the new seating area & eating nook feel cramped. Do you really need a dining table, eating bar & kitchen nook all in the same space. Consider how many people are in your family & how many you will likely entertain (small intimate groupings versus a bash) Perhaps the addition could use a window seat for part of your soft seating along with a couple of easy chairs with ottoman. A small bistro table could be pulled in for coffee or quick breakfast. consider a small desk for computer work station rather than the small nook table. The open island is great for a buffet or wide open prep area, but with all the appliances on the L-shape, your back will be to your guests or family. Some folks prefer that... others find it disjointed. If the smaller lounge area is going to have a TV, it may be a little tight for the larger screens that are most common today. you'd likely be more comfortable another 5-8' away. Consider that aspect too.
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 12:54AM
PRO
Dytecture
I agree with one large dining area especially in an open concept such as yours.

If you prefer the smaller eating nook then I would remove the peninsular area of the kitchen, instead opt for one long wall of cabinets with the sink in the island.

0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 6:22AM
ledroit
I'm soooo thankful for all the comments. I will go over the plan to see how we can use your inputs. thanks again
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 10:13AM