Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
entrance way detail
Joe
January 28, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hi all

As you can see my entrance way is pretty dull, the photo is the view you will get as soon as you walk in the front door. id like to know what i can add to make it look more appealing, baring in mind that i have just painted it the grey color that it is now?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Darzy
This hall will "set the stage". What is in the next room? That will help with suggestions. Nice paint color!
2 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 10:13PM
Darzy
I'm thinking of some pretty quirky things. :)
1 Like   January 28, 2013 at 10:14PM
Joe
well to the left just behind the shot is the entrance to the dining room and if you take the turn the passage continues to the kitchen and bedrooms
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 10:17PM
Manon Floreat
I think a landing spot for keys, mail, etc. upon entering would be very practical. A console of sorts, depending on your tastes, would serve that purpose against the left wall. You wrote the word "dull" so perhaps a brightly colored art piece on the back wall would liven things up. Just be sure it's something you really love, because it will be the first thing that greets you when you come home.

I don't see any light sockets or an overhead light. Is that the case?
2 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 10:20PM
Darzy
I'm going to risk it and give you my quirky idea first. ;) In the corner to "greet" you, how about a mannequin dressed as a butler with his arm out to hold your guest's coats?
2 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 10:27PM
PRO
karen paul interiors
Is that really a telephone on the wall. If so, why there?
3 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 10:29PM
Darzy
Plan B... a beautiful carved wood art piece at the end of the hall.

3 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 10:29PM
Darzy
Or, a practical hall tree. What is your design style preference?

0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 10:33PM
Tracy Taylor
I saw the perfect idea~ Small demi lune table, a big mirror to reflect some light around or a fabulous colorful painting, and some great wall sconces or wall vases. http://www.decorpad.com/photo.htm?photoId=12379
3 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 10:35PM
Joe
Tracey, i had a look at the link and i think its perfect too, definitely something i will look into. thank you
1 Like   January 28, 2013 at 10:37PM
Tracy Taylor
Demilune entry
2 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 10:38PM
Tracy Taylor
Also I think a striped entry is fabulous- I love the grey maybe a creamy white would work... think this with your own colors
8 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 10:40PM
Manon Floreat
The phone is there for the convenience of Jeeves. We can't have him straying from his post.
2 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 10:41PM
PRO
Susan Mills Design
Entry ways are such perfect spots for humour and fun, this is the first area a visitor sees when they arrive and can really set the tone of the visit. Have the basics covered as others have mentioned, a place for keys and such, somewhere to hang a hat, a chair or stool for putting on shoes, depending on how much room you have. It's such a small space but has potential for big impact. What's your style?
3 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 10:54PM
Manon Floreat
Susan, I could lost for days in your image library.
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 10:58PM
PRO
Susan Mills Design
Me too! Manon I am taking an art course this week, and loving it!
1 Like   January 28, 2013 at 11:30PM
PRO
Susan Mills Design
Pink wall or purple console Manon, which one is you?
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 11:31PM
PRO
Lori Michelle' ~ Max Michelle Interiors Studio
Tracy's suggestion works well, the grey is a great color and very current, you obviously like the grey so this option is an easy way to dress things up. The jewel tone table and the mirror to open up the space works great. Definitely adding some scones or a great hanging light fixture would help brighten the space and add more interest. Layering prices like this in small space is tricky, keep the pieces fresh, uncomplicated and sophisticated ,
Good luck
2 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 11:42PM
Joe
the phone is there for the intercom. I want to remove it and place it somewhere else. don't like it in the entrance way
1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 5:31AM
PRO
karen paul interiors
Susan is correct that the entry way introduces your guests to you and your family. I love a small vignette that can tell a story about family, collections, etc. Nice thing is, it doesn't require much space to give a clue as to your taste and what is important to you.

4 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 7:51AM
Manon Floreat
Here's another idea that features sunny yellow. I like that the yellow kind of tickles the serious grey in the ribs and keeps it from being too serious. Perhaps something like this would work against the long wall. A personal vignettet, as recommended by Karen, will make it meaningful.

I would like to mention that Feng Shui advises against putting a mirror directly opposite the front door. It is believed that it pushes all of the fresh incoming chi right back out. That may be something to consider.

Susan, I think I have to choose the pink wall. It'll be perfect with my pink cha-cha shoes!
2 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 10:10AM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
as i judge from the wood flooring there is likely 3.5 feet in the hallway once it turns to the right ...is that about it?
1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 10:23AM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
a great many wonderful ideas but my concern is that furniture is not the answer as the width of the hall likely wondt allow ....what is the dimension....or have they been given earlier....i'll check
2 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 10:24AM
Jill Crowe
Imagine coming home and having 6 inches in which to pass that hulking, non-returnable hall table. Ask me, I know! Use paint or relatively flat decore. Maybe a 4 inch shelf for keys and wallet, a floor covering that indicates the path to the open rooms. Use color indicating what is to come.
2 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 10:43AM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
did that happen to you Joe
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 10:44AM
PRO
karen paul interiors
Yes, I also figure it is about 3'5". That's why if anything is put into place, it needs to be quite slim and not so wide as some of the suggestions made. Manon makes a point regarding Feng Shui regarding the mirror facing the front door. Feng Shui has a lot of good sense behind it. This mirror could cause a glare and will obfuscate the purpose of the mirror. I would suggest an adjustable gimbal in the existing recessed light and hang a sizable piece of art that runs vertically. Also, I might add if you have other recessed lights in the area, you will need to run a separate line and put that one on a dimmer.
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 11:04AM
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 11:14AM
Judit
1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 11:18AM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
not really my 'thing' to suggest "decoratie' things however this space could actually be a space where appling art to the surface of the wall makes sense......this seems to be a space from early in the last century, maybe the thirties ......if would be really cool to introduce niches painted on the two walls. One before youo as you walk in and two to your left
1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 11:28AM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID

I woiuld never do this! however it's thte idea, I would do a more architectural style like a modling
1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 11:33AM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
a local art school might be a place to start to find an artist
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 11:34AM
PRO
karen paul interiors
Gary, that's a perfect idea. So lighted niches can be placed in the side walls and an actual art wall can occur on the end wall. This could be a perfect opportunity for a miniature art gallery. Brilliant....and so in keeping with the era.
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 12:10PM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
NO NO NO NO................................the concept must have been lost in translation....THREE EQUAL SIZE motifs......boob boom boom.....two on the left and one on the facing wall.....with variations on the theme ......the beauty here is that they are mostly the same. Repeating the theme, with only the same size shape color niche......then maybe a large jar is in each niche (and the jars are each a bit unique)
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 12:15PM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
i'm projecting that the change in color of the wood floor is from a 3 x 5 rug at the front door.....so two on the left (hopeing the door swings to the left......so just beyond where the door is as it is open.....boom boom then 90 degree corner to the facing wall and boom .....we're done!
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 12:18PM
Manon Floreat
Interesting idea. Space could be carved out between the studs to accommodate the niche. The ledge could include a sill that protrudes a bit to serve as a landing for keys and what not. I would recommend a skilled trades person for this job, unless you're a pretty advanced DIY type with the appropriate tools.
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 12:26PM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
Manon, there could be issues with the wall condition with the age of this space who knows what is behind the plaster
1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 12:31PM
PRO
Frank Webb's Bath and Lighting Center
How about a corner table?
1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 12:33PM
Manon Floreat
I misunderstood, Gary. I see now that you were suggesting faux niches not actual ones.

Yes, whenever walls are opened, the proverbial can of worms may await you. If it were something Joe were interested in pursuing, I'd highly recommend a skilled trades person familiar with the architecture and building materials of the era.

What's appealing about the concept is that floor space would be saved because there would be no need for a stand alone console.
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 12:39PM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
I understand, but my thought is there may be more room to the side of the door (not pictured) or a console may be used around the corner where there is room.....I'm just not into changing the space to commodate handing items....there is likely a closet either out of view or around the corner.....I'm really hopin for a great deal around that corner aren't I ?

lol
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 12:47PM
PRO
karen paul interiors
Oh my Gary, did we have a little Freudian slip there? I think the niches are a great idea nonetheless.
1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 1:30PM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
OHHHH what did I say ..? must have missed it
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 1:44PM
maureenroth
"boob boom boom"
3 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 2:48PM
saraj11357
I like the Black and white Ideas from Tracy Taylor!
1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 3:01PM
PRO
Grace Archives
Gallery walls are a classic, yet modern look. Mingle vintage art and old architectural details, with family photos for a one of a kind display.

www.GraceArchives.etsy.com
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 3:13PM
PRO
karen paul interiors
Good catch Maureen! :)
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 3:16PM
Christine Lema
I would paint the top part of the wall gray as well and keep the molding piece below the ceiling white. The top portion that is white makes the walls look really short. Definitely put something fabulous on the wall before you turn the corner into a different room. Add a long rug running the length of the hall.
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 3:18PM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
Karen.....I got it ...better be careful hadnt I
1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 3:20PM
PRO
karen paul interiors
You were just coming off all caps. That can be very tricky! :)
1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 3:44PM
PRO
karen paul interiors
So Gary, to further pursue your niches. If you can't do the real ones, then if you were thinking of a trompe l'oeil, then you would be able to only address the back wall to fool the eye. As you know, these need to be viewed head on (from the front door). So the side walls will loose their fun and mystery when 3-D disappears. I do love this idea and I'm also very enthused about making the hall into a miniature art gallery. The texture/color that comes from a long runner as Christine has suggested is imperative. The treatment of the upper area (currently in white) should be rethought as well. Until we are provided with photos of what's around the corner and a view in the opposite direction of the front door, this remains a "crap shoot", as it were.
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 3:57PM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
the two images that would be on the side wall will be viewed as one walks for the area beyond the corned.....the trompe l'oeil is all in fun and not ever to be talken seriously to really fool the eye, so I have no 3-D issues with the way using urns in niche's will play out for these two walls.....most anytime trompe l'oeil would be used there is some angels that are better than others....
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 5:07PM
PRO
Susan Mills Design
The pictures I posted are for ideas as to how interesting the space can be, of course the width and depth of everything placed here has to be taken into consideration. Interesting collections of prints, paintings, small shelves, narrow tables all can be incorporated once a sense of style has been decided. For that we need guidance from the homeowner.
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 6:48PM
Judit
:D anyone considered the need for storing coats, shoes, keys and hats? A large mirror? It's an entry after all.
0 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 4:22PM
Judit
and a chair to sit down and put your shoes on
0 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 4:26PM
alefantee
Some coat hangers and wall art or pictures.
0 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 4:37PM
Jill Crowe
Is this gentleman in southern Florida or Southern California? If so, he does not need a coat rack nor a hat rack. If in SoCal, skip the umbrella rack, too. Also, if in Southern California, you don't need a mud room.
1 Like   January 31, 2013 at 9:45PM
Judit
South Africa, just checked :)
0 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 9:50PM
aloha42
Simple beginning would be a mirror. Can't tell how much room there is to walk through. A table would be great under the mirror, if not enough room a lovely shelf.
0 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 9:55PM
Summer Scott
i love the grey walls with the wood floors.
swap the phone out for a black vintage looking wall phone if you need to keep one there. http://www.brookstone.com/crosley-302-wall-phone?bkeid=compare|mercent|googlebaseads|search&mr:trackingCode=83811FBC-B12D-E211-BFCC-001B21A69EB0&mr:referralID=NA&mr:adType=pla&mr:ad=6403226004&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:filter=20101249044&gclid=CIf3gI65lLUCFQfhQgodGz4Afg

a simple mirror is all you need to brighten the dark hallway up. keep it simple in clean. i think it's too dark to add tables and "stuff" to the area.

here's one from ikea for $40 that will look really good and keep up with fresh look of your hall. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40047883/

post a photo when you're finished!
0 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 10:11PM