Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with tile backsplash recommendation
auhlenko
January 28, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hi, I am trying to help my dad with a kitchen remodel, and we are a bit stumped by what to do for the tile backsplash in the kitchen. The kitchen has a brick wall on one side, but is otherwise very beige in color. We're struggling to figure out what color to use for the backsplash - should we try to pick up the color of the brick, or go with a more neutral color that matches the backsplash? (my fear is that trying to pick up the color of the brick might look weird - I've attached a picture below of that approach)

My dad lives in a smaller town and is very price-conscious (he's planning to sell the house when done), so we're hoping for a recommendation for something that can be purchased at a big-box store such as Lowes or Home Depot for not too much money.

He has selected Corian "Sahara" countertops and honey-colored cabinets. I've attached some pictures. Any help or ideas for the backsplash are greatly appreciated!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Darzy
If he's going to sell when he's finished, I propose no backsplash installation on the sink side, just paint. The floor is squares, the brick ...is brick, so another pattern may look busy. Plus, why spend the money if you don't have it? I'd paint the kitchen walls a color "grayish" that complements the counter, brick, and floor. New roman shades for the kitchen window and it will look great. Updated light fixtures and nice baseboards (finishing touches) will make a bigger impact for selling.
January 28, 2013 at 10:43pm     
aebj
He might also consider wallpaper between the cabinets instead of tile. A lot of color for possibly much less money.
January 28, 2013 at 11:33pm   
Darzy
If you really want to do tile anyway. I think you can't go wrong with a creamy white subway tile. (a cream that will complement the counter and cabinet color). Like this...

January 29, 2013 at 9:18am     
auhlenko
Thank you so much for your comments! We ended up going with " biscuit" subway tile from Lowes, and it looks great. I really appreciated the help - you steered us in the right direction!
February 12, 2013 at 11:14pm     
aebj
It looks very nice!
February 12, 2013 at 11:24pm   
Loretta Callejas
THE FLOORS ARE TRADITIONAL, THE CABINETS ARE CONTEMPORY, THE COUNTER QUARTZ COUNTER TOP IS MODERN, BRICK WALL IS TRADITIONAL. CHOOSE WHICH WAY TO GO THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD IS CONTERPORY!!!!!!!!!!! SO SHINY TILE IS MODERN, STONE NEUTRAL BEST BET. PAINT THE STONE WALL AND GROUT A CREAMY COLOR AFTER YOU PUT IN BACK SPLASH. THEN PAINT THE WHOLE KITCHEN THAT COLOR. AT THIS POINT YOU MUST PULL EVERYTHING TO GETHER. THE ONLY COLOR YOU WILL HAVE IS THE FLOOR.
February 13, 2013 at 12:34am   
hparks74
@Loretta all caps means your yelling.. You may want to turn that off. :) thanks
February 13, 2013 at 12:41am