Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Drowning in greige choices. Please help me pick one...or two
emlerka
January 28, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We have just bought a benignly neglected 50's ranch/beach cottage in a seaside community in Southern California. We're in the process of a light remodel - new floors, paint, recessed lighting, moldings/trim and kitchen cabinets/appliances (the bathrooms and windows will have to wait until the summer).

I'm struck with paralyzing indecision on which greige to paint the main room (living room, dining area which flows into kitchen- its a large rectangular-ish room with 2 large north-facing windows, 1 west-facing window) (first two photos). I know Benjamin Moore's "Revere Pewter" is the greige of the moment but I think it might be too light for the space. I'm also considering "Northern Cliffs", "Gray Horse", and "Pashmina" - all by Benjamin Moore. I'd love advice on which paint to pick and with which white for the trim (atrium white, white dove, decorators white or ??).

Adjacent to the living room is a family room with stone fireplace - the paneling is going away but the fireplace has to stay for now (second two photos). This is fairly dark room with only one (large) east facing window that doesn't filter much light due to the neighboring property. I'm considering "Edgecomb gray" (BM) for this room and the interior hallway that also doesn't get any natural light. Other ideas for paint? although I'd like to stay in the grey - light taupe family, although I could be swayed toward a calm blue.

The floors throughout are being changed to a dark stained maple.
The kitchen will be to the left of the dining space and will have the same flooring as the rest of the house, white cabinets (which white??), grey-brown granite (labrador antique) and stainless appliances.

Thanks in advance for your thoughtful suggestions. I'll be back with more questions about lighting and window coverings!

Kate
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Tracy Taylor
I really liked Allen Roth Colors by Valspar in Opera Glasses I am using it as the base color for my house, but I just painted a Girlfriends living room in Rocky Bluff by Valspar it was also a gorgeous color and I have to say their no VOC paint went on very well... nice n creamy!
January 28, 2013 at 11:48PM   
Regina Friesen
If you are painting and redoing flooring you might consider opening up the walls into the kitchen to make it more open. What are the room sizes - kitchen, dining room, living room, etc.?
January 29, 2013 at 12:28AM   
emlerka
Egikay - we have removed the wall between the kitchen and living room and half wall into dining area! There will be a peninsula separating the living room and kitchen now - unfortunately when you enter the house you'll be looking right at the refrigerator beyond the peninsula but there is no other place to put the fridge. The dimensions are 35 ft x 18ft.
January 29, 2013 at 10:29AM   
bhelmore
Your dog loves to have his/her pic taken!!??!! ;-)
January 29, 2013 at 10:36AM