Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Help need window treatments
vall622
January 29, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hi..just got a slipcovered sofa and now need window treatments for living room and dining room. Love red, yellow french country. any ideas or tips on redecorating these two room. Should wallpaper go. also attached are fabrics i love. Kitchen is open to dining room which is open to living room.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Tracy Taylor
Love the Ballard Bouquet Vintage red. In the living room I think a gathered tab pleat or a julie anne pleat curtains on a nice wood rod with wood rings and maybe some red and green tieback tassels and creamy linen sheers would look great. In the dining room I would switch fabric to either the Pantry Plaid Crimson or the Cheerful Check Spice. I would do roman's with a ball fringe at the bottom only because you have the wallpaper.
January 29, 2013 at 3:14am   
vall622
thanks for the great suggestions ..i was even thinking of getting rid of the wallpaper. my wallpaper is more of a mauve color with a khaki background. Kind of drab now. any suggestions for living room arrangement. opposite sofa is kitchen wall. Im having one chair slipcovered in white and thinking of getting rid of other chair and purchasing something new. I have a dog who loves our furniture I know surefit makes a ballad bouquet slipcover. not sure how good it is though.
January 29, 2013 at 3:39am   
PRO
JMittman Designs
What did you have slip covered, the white couch--looks great? Can you pull the two chairs opposite the couch for a conversation area? I would definitely consider taking the wall paper down.
As to window treatments, do you need privacy on any of the windows? Do you like simple--roman shades, woven wood shades, with panels? Do you like fussier? There are many valances that lend to french country you could consider. Here are a couple styles below I have used in the past.
January 29, 2013 at 6:09am     
vall622
Thanks. I Just got the sofa and I am having one chair slipcovered. Want to buy another chair. There isn't that much room for the chairs to fit opposite the couch. Maybe if I move the piano to other side and put a chair in its place. I will have to play around.
January 29, 2013 at 10:00am   
PRO
JMittman Designs
What is on the piano wall--where your pooch is (goldendoodle?) Can you turn the couch to be across from the chairs, and pull all that furniture into the middle? Sorry, hard for me to see how much more room you may have.
January 29, 2013 at 10:09am   
vall622
I will try to take another pic. It's a short wall with stairs going down to foyer. She's a labradoodle. Good guess
January 29, 2013 at 10:17am   
vall622
heres a pic from other view of living room
January 29, 2013 at 2:01pm   
PRO
JMittman Designs
Try playing with your furniture arrangements as mentioned above, pulling the couch and chairs together. You just might have enough room and not realize it.
p.s. mine is a goldendoodle. :)
January 29, 2013 at 5:26pm   
Tracy Taylor
Hmmm I suggest using painters tape to lay the furniture dimensions out on the floor. Oh and yes please remove the wallpaper if its horrid... or venetian plaster right over it... LOL
January 30, 2013 at 5:36pm   
pheininge
My whole house is French Country with vibrant imported fabrics. I didn't want heavy window treatments. I got fabulous lace sheers from Country Curtains (they have stores and a website). I got the ones with honeybees and tiny fleur de lys for the entire main level. I am making top treatments in a gold and yellow fabric for my living and dining rooms. In the kitchen I'm using the matching lce valance. They look great! It will be even better when I get the top treatments made.
February 3, 2013 at 5:12am