Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
change door color ?
witch06
January 29, 2013 in Design Dilemma
This door originally varnished brown is usually left opened in my reception room 9 months a year. I close it only durind winter time to get the room warmer.
As the reception room is a combination of whites, off whites and light pewters shades and furnished with antique dark furniture and plants, I find the doors "intgrusive" in the room.
I would like to paint this door light pewter and white but I can't make up my mind having such a sudden change... So I have made a photoshop virtual painting of the door.
What would you advise, knowing that in the entry are 3 other brown doors but unlike the door I want to paint lighter, these doors are authentic beautiful antiques.
Thank you for your help ;)
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
PH Interiors, LLC
My choice would be to stay with the dark brown. It's a beautiful door and plays well with the other doors in the room.
January 29, 2013 at 11:52AM     
groveraxle
I like the dark brown better too.
January 29, 2013 at 11:59AM   
missangel99
Part if the beauty is the dark color. The white looks like a do over.
January 29, 2013 at 12:06PM     
txonthego
Stay with the classic look of the dark wood since you have antiques in the entry.
January 29, 2013 at 12:50PM     
clynnbruce
Strip the door and let the beautiful old wood reveal itself. Refurbish all the hardware and enjoy!
January 29, 2013 at 1:02PM     
Brenda Fisher
Leave the door dark. My guess without seeing the rest of the space is that you have let the doors become the only negative space drawing your eye away from your beautiful relaxing white oasis. If you are opposed to adding some wood or dark framed pictures or art the increase your tonal ranges and textures with accessories and see if that will draw your eye back where you want it. In Paris designers typically hang art from doors or lean art against it. If your door stays open most of the time why not?
January 29, 2013 at 2:14PM     
witch06
thank you for all your comments. It may take some time before I can decide ;)
January 29, 2013 at 2:15PM   
kimdee24
It's a great door. I think it needs to be dark so it stands out.
January 29, 2013 at 2:25PM     
csev
I like the dark wood door, it allows your eye to go beyond, creates depth
January 30, 2013 at 6:49AM     
Jayme H.
I am for dark...espec. if you have some dark furniture...I think it would look gorgeous!!
January 30, 2013 at 7:02AM   
mydixiedoodle
The white door next to the white walls creates a look of transition; like the door is just primed. I think that the door itself is an architectural plus and keeping it either brown or stripping it to its natural state is the only alternative - and I would definitely NOT paint it white. Unless of course, the entire room beyond is white also. The shape of the door and the fact that it is juxtaposed next to white walls makes the door stand out not only as a focal point but as an architectural anchor (specifically because of its color) I think painting the walls of the room beyond the door will have a much greater impact, because you will get a glimpse of color through the door when it's in its closed position, and when it's open the eye will be drawn into the next room. It's a beautiful entryway for a punch of color..
January 30, 2013 at 7:05AM   
More Discussions
Need advice for my space
This is a apartment so there are limitation when it...
need help designing a functional 3ft X 8ft closet
I am only adding about 100 sqft to my house because...
Exterior Privacy Screen Dilemma
I've been lurking for quite a while, but finally have...
Bedroom / Bath colors?
We painted our bedroom in beautiful gray tones and...
playroom help
I could use some serious advice for a play area. I...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.