Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Hallway - Need Help
drtjlt83
January 29, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Our hallway looks wrong. Can you help with a light fitting, rug, something for console... - Thoughts anyone?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Sharolyn Schroeder
Paint your walls
January 29, 2013 at 3:45am   
drtjlt83
What sort of colour were you thinking? This will be a bit hard as the hallway is the start of passageways that do not stop. But open to suggestions. I am really thinking that the rug, light, tapestry etc.... dont link. Does anyone have any ideas for a light in there. I love this empire chandelier but it is $3000 and way above my budget
January 29, 2013 at 5:00am   
drtjlt83
Those chandeliers have shown upside down :I
January 29, 2013 at 5:02am     
yfuoco
I think that the rug is too small...it should extend to include the space in the little nook. Perhaps you could choose a rug with more colour (persians are great and they hide the dirt). Also the mirror above the console seems a bit out of scale...what about switching it to the wall with the tapestry and perhaps adding a bench below?I would hang a vertical piece of art or another mirror above the console, two small matching benches or baskets below and perhaps a stacked group of 2 pictures on the wall that you see when you walk in (to the right of the console). The vases on the console are lovely perhaps you can add a floral arrangement or a group of stacked boxes in between? I know you talked about lighting...the console would also be a great spot to add table lights?
January 29, 2013 at 5:27am   
PRO
Centsible Designs, LLC
The rug is pretty, but I agree that it is the wrong size. It should either extend to the length of the console, or it should be smaller to fit inside the space as you step inside the door. The size of your entry could definitely support a larger light fixture - something that you love and with a bit more drama!
I'm also a fan of wallpaper in entryways, but something very very subtle, like a tone on tone stripe in a taupe...
January 29, 2013 at 5:37am   
PRO
Dytecture
I agree, the walls looks a bit purple in the photos. Try something with more gray or brown tones.
January 29, 2013 at 5:53am   
Jayme H.
The floor color and wall tones seem to be clashing. Looks like cool on walls, warm on floor...lighting does look dim too.
January 29, 2013 at 5:55am   
drtjlt83
Thanks for your advice, does anyone have any rug ideas or light fittings? The walls are a greĆ½/white tone...Must be the photo that makes the walls look purple. Would a darker rug look better?
January 29, 2013 at 6:14am   
drtjlt83
I quite like the idea of a lantern in there but wasnt sure if that suited or maybe a more vintage chandelier.....?
January 29, 2013 at 6:17am   
PRO
Budget My Build
Put up some art on the walls, that will help give your room a more modern look. Maybe put in a ceiling fan with better lighting and some lamps too wouldn't hurt. Figure your budget and work from there on what you want to change. You can refer here to help you out. http://budgetmybuild.co/
January 29, 2013 at 10:04am   
PRO
JUL313 Gallery
I agree. Love the front door by the way! Looks like you have a contemporary home by the looks of it. A large statement painting as you enter the entryway is all you need. I have several pieces I have completed and some I am working on that would look fabulous. If you really want to leave the table you might think about a smaller piece of art over it with just a simple bowel or something sitting on it.
January 29, 2013 at 10:18am   
nikkimer555
How about this chandelier?
February 14, 2013 at 4:26am   
PRO
ASVInteriors
Picture 1 - is your entrance as your visitor first sees it:
You need to paint the two walls (or one in a more saturated tone of the other) imagine pale grey and dark grey for the closer wall. Hang two pieces of similar artwork (one bigger, one slimmer) and hang them on both walls. The larger at the back and the slimmer one at the front.
You are drawing the eye inwards and creating a visual appeal and rappel with two similar colours and two similar artworks.

Picture 2 - paint both sides of the walls perpendicular to your console the same colour to balance them out. Paint the middle wall a dark colour - aubergine, deep red, indigo or green. They will make a feature of this area, but it won't interrupt your entry WOW factor.

Remove your rug - it cuts the eye visually and make the floor seem shorter than it is. You want to create depth and space. A door mat might work better as people don't look down when they walk into a place they look in front of them which is where you want to work your magic.

Best of luck.
February 14, 2013 at 4:34am