Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
How to mask a cracked brick wall on my driveway
Jan Hernig
January 29, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I have a brick wall that is ruining my curb appeal. Need ideas to mask it. I have planted traveling raspberry but the vine isn't thick enough to cover the large crack. I have purchased knee high urns to place in front of crack but do not know what kind of plant to put it them. I thought a shrubbery type rose may look nice but I fear it may look messy next to the raspberry. Need ideas
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Ironwood Builders
Well, you could consider calling a mason and getting it actually fixed rather than putting a bandaid over it.
January 29, 2013 at 5:13am     
Susanna
Why aren't you fixing the crack? is it a budget concern? I think we need more info because right now, to be honest, it sounds a bit like "how do I decorate this stick in my eye". It is a bit confusing. Having said that, I would go to your local nursery and explain everything. They probably have a business card of someone to call to fix the wall too, whether you can afford it now or later. And ask them about bougainvillea.
January 29, 2013 at 5:50am   
PRO
Ironwood Builders
Or creeping rosemary.
January 29, 2013 at 6:02am   
PRO
Dytecture
The crack would only grow bigger if not fixed.
January 29, 2013 at 6:04am   
PRO
M.A.S. Construction
I also agree you should just fix it. From your pictures it seems to be a very small area to be addressed, and would only cost a few hundred to take care of it correctly.
January 29, 2013 at 6:12am   
PRO
Ironwood Builders
To further the discussion, the wall is probably moving because of a combination of water trapped behind the wall and tree roots. The continuing degradation of the wall is inevitable without addressing these issues. When (not if) the mason tears the wall down make sure they install weep holes and moisture proofing with a gravel bed below grade. at the same time, they must chop back the roots of the tree to prevent it from continuing to push the wall. Maintenance of the tree roots falls to you in the future, so chopping deep into the soil yearly to cut roots is necessary.
January 29, 2013 at 6:21am   
PRO
M.A.S. Construction
It also could have been clipped by a car? Tearing it down might not be necessary and could possibly be fixed with a re-pointing project at a fraction of the cost of tear down and re-build. Difficult to tell from just a photo.
January 29, 2013 at 6:26am   
PRO
Budget My Build
I love the brink wall of your drive way. You should not be masking the crack but rather fixing it my be the right way to go. If your budget is the problem, then this is a good place to help figure the cost. http://budgetmybuild.co/
January 29, 2013 at 10:13am   
nasmijati
Time to call a mason for a consultation. The crack will only get bigger as the tree grows.
January 29, 2013 at 10:33am   
Susanna
Jan...are you there? Anybody?....Bue-ler....Bue-ler
Was this a joke question?
January 29, 2013 at 9:51pm     
More Discussions
Design my small living room
Need some help designing my oh so tiny living room....
help needed for adding new kitchen cabinets
The first two photos show my [small] kitchen and dining...
Living room/ family room
I'm having a problem trying to decide how to best design...
Best color/type floor for this living room?
I just bought this house and have to rip out the carpet....
Giant Gator Art?
First, thank you to GroverAxle who helped me get started...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.