Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
HELP! Drowning in Fabric Swatches
ksoorus123
January 29, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I have a large open floor plan with warm wood floors and SW Restrained Gold paint and white trim. The entire first floor is this color and I can't get the new furniture I need and paint in my budget. (2 story ceilings). I am so tired of my red and olive green color scheme. Buying new furniture(sectional and maybe a chair?) and drapes. I am overwhelmed by selecting colors to go with my paint. I want a neutral sectional..should I match the paint or will the whole house look gold. I love gray and yellow, but it navy better for my room? Is light blue going to be dated soon! Color experts I need advice.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Brenda Fisher
What look do you want? Traditional, modern, eclectic? Take a look at the colour palette for arts and crafts homes they are very successful at mixing yellow with other colours. Blue and yellow is classic French and Spanish. All depends on the shade and tone. For blue I would suggest looking at your wardrobe, it blue has always been a staple for you than you will love living with it, if not you will think of it as a fad before anyone else does!
January 29, 2013 at 1:48pm   
ksoorus123
I like casual with a traditional flair.
January 29, 2013 at 4:19pm   
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
If your can't afford to paint now but are going to buy furniture this seems odd. Paint first and then slowly buy the furniture pieces you need.
January 29, 2013 at 4:22pm   
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
Sorry..my rule is to always choose paint last. There are thousands of shade of every color available in paint. BUT there are only a few fabrics - patterns that will appeal to you. Choose them first. Choose an area rug first...it will also tell you what colors to which you gravitate. From that choose furniture pieces (sofa & chairs) that appeal to you...Not from fabric swatches to start, but go shopping for the really shapes of furniture and fabrics. Don't do all your shopping in one place. Next choose drapery that you like, again, in complimentary colors. And lastly it will be easy to choose the paint color for your wall. In this order you are actually making a process of elimination of paint colors. If you try to do it all at the same time, you will only make yourself confused.
January 29, 2013 at 4:36pm     
ksoorus123
I am looking to buy a sectional now and reupholster my Wesley Hall accent chair in the future. We have a 69" sofa for a family of four,I just don't have enough seating. I would have to paint the entire first floor..large 2 story walls in dining room, kitchen, hall and great room...all open and connecting A painter would cost thousands. I don't mind the paint color, but want to lighten up and bring in some cool colors. I have black painted coffee tables, etc that I plan to keep. I just don't know if I should do a camel color sofa or a light gray.
January 29, 2013 at 4:41pm   
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
Give us some pic's of your furniture, and what you really want to keep. Also show us the room..all directions.
January 29, 2013 at 4:43pm   
ksoorus123
Thanks...I am attaching lots of pictures. The red and green pics are my home. My kitchen has cream cabinets and have samples hanging in it. I want to be more casual, but still traditional. I am attaching a photo of a sectional I really like...but I found the gray wall depressing, is there a way to do something like this but not have it all blend in? I also attached an HGTV dream house I loved. It is the main sectional color and which accent color I need to figure out? I can't decide...Clearly I need a rug too! I may do chenille jut or another affordable wool rug.
January 29, 2013 at 5:08pm   
ksoorus123
more pics
January 29, 2013 at 5:13pm   
ksoorus123
Last one!
January 29, 2013 at 5:19pm   
anitajoyce
You can use the grey, yellow and blue together in the room.
January 29, 2013 at 5:19pm   
ksoorus123
Finally made my choice..just waiting for chairs...any ideas for curtains
March 28, 2013 at 10:34am