powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Renovated kitchen needs backsplash advice!
oneyellowrabbit
January 29, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We just finished renovating our kitchen and are looking at backsplash samples. We are leaning towards a fresh chartreuse colour in 4x4 tiles, with possibly grape or eggplant on the chimney area (just lower, we are mounting a shelf on there eventually). But we are open to anything! Anyone have any tips?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Brenda Fisher
Colours are a personal preference. If you choose bright or dark ones though you will need to add under cabinet lights and adjust your pot lights so they don't cast such strong shadows on your cupboards. Chartreuse is a strong colour. If it is a new like I would avoid using it on something as expensive to replace as tile. If it has always been a colour you love go for it. I recently saw a magazine picture with a similar look but they kept the tile a soft green in glass and used the chartreuse as accent. Then use a grape colour for accent too like baskets and bowls. Have fun.
January 29, 2013 at 12:27PM     
oneyellowrabbit
Thank you! Yes the under-cabinet lighting has not been installed yet. We had thought about teal and peacock as well as chartreuse. Good advice on possibly going abit lighter, we will get more samples. This isn't a decision we are making quick, for we have time.
January 29, 2013 at 12:31PM     
PRO
Matt Patterson Custom Homes
You can install 4x4 tiles in one linear strip and install mirrors above. Old trick to enlarge & brighten
January 29, 2013 at 12:42PM   
PRO
Custom Home Planning Center
On a shinny note http://www.chemetal.com/designs/238-autumn-leaves offers many patterns to give a unique look
January 29, 2013 at 12:44PM   
PRO
Remya Warrior Designs
If you are doing a 4 x 4 tile, you can also lay them out diagonally. For more interest you could add some accent tiles. For a more contemporary look, go linear tiles, mosaics, glass tiles or a mix of these.
This picture shows a traditional kitchen. Dont look at the colors here...
January 29, 2013 at 1:00PM   
0825sam
We have a similar color scheme in our new kitchen and chose a more neutral backsplash. We got a 2x2 hexagon mosaic from Best Tile in a mix of white marble and grey and sand limestone. I originally was going to do a turquoise backsplash but like the first comment mentioned I did not want to do something too colorful in case I got sick of it (and I didn't want to be limited in the event that I spotted some accessory that I fell in love with that didn't go), and plan to use color more as an accent.
January 29, 2013 at 1:09PM     
PRO
Butterfly Yao
Love subway back splash in white recently, especially go with white cabinetry and black counter. Simple, Contrast, Comfort.
January 29, 2013 at 1:16PM     
PRO
Living Quarters
I would echo an earlier comment on using a bold color for tiles, as they're so permanent and our whims for certain colors can pass with a season or in a few years. So I would reserve bold colors for paint in adjoining spaces or as kitchen accessories like towels, cannisters, window treatments, and dishes. Have you thought about using an interesting texture or material like "Fasade" to cover your backsplash? This is a product that simulates embossed tins, used as ceiling tins in periord homes for centuries. They now have many modern options that are made to fill kitchen back splashes. Good luck on your project!
January 29, 2013 at 1:51PM     
Keerthi Naidu
Glass tiles would be a great option to add a bit of color but not too much to overwhelm the space!
January 29, 2013 at 2:39PM   
PRO
DirectBuy of Fort Worth
Daltile has this tile that looks like shells. I think it would look great on your backsplash.
January 29, 2013 at 2:51PM     
Renee Gillen
I would suggest a tonal approach... What about a Violet with high blue intensity???
January 29, 2013 at 3:04PM   
vikkis
We just did our kitchen a year ago and here's my best advice, whatever your color preference... When you look at your kitchen, do you want to see a splash of color? Cohesiveness? The cabinets first? The granite? That will really tell you a better feel of what to do. Like Butterfly Yao said above - do you want color, contrast, simple? Then its not really Chartreuse. Do you want changeable color? Then maybe a clear tile with color elsewhere? I would look through Houzz files for a photo with a similar hue to what you are thinking and see how you like it. That's how we chose our colors, by color hue for the whole project. The tile is non negotiable once it's up - if you stick with colors for a long time, and don't plan on selling soon, go for it! And post on this thread once you decide so we can see it!
January 29, 2013 at 3:06PM     
Inger Nyborg
How about a metal plate with your own image printed :)
January 29, 2013 at 3:06PM   
linderella
Keeping in mind the long-term investment of a kitchen, as a more conservative decorator I find that today's hot colors or schemes are as passe as a 70's leisure suit in a few years. I would recommend a classic black and white mosaic and add pops of color to your accessories and in your paint.
January 29, 2013 at 3:11PM     
PRO
Remya Warrior Designs
I used this one a couple of times. Its called key stone blend. While it has some colors, its not overpowering & gives a nice contemporary feel to it.
January 29, 2013 at 3:29PM     
smasko
I agree with the ideas above...the subway tile (white) or the glass tile would look great...I wouldn't lock yourself into tile that has a strong color, you may get tired of it or want to change the color and it's expensive to do so. The subway tile and glass are neutral and easy to decorate around. Add color to your kitchen with things you can easily and inexpensively change...a rug, place mats, seat cushions for your chair, wall art, or even paint the walls. Leave your tiles neutral but add color with inexpensive and interchangeable decor.
January 29, 2013 at 3:32PM   
PRO
Thomas Wakeman
If you go for subway tile, which would be a great choice, try a few different colours first, there's a BIG difference between brilliant white and off-white/ivory, both are dramatic, depends on the light, area, paintwork e.t.c.
January 29, 2013 at 3:45PM   
ellen mackintosh
I tile houses, i would not use the 4x4 it looks dated, and if your going to pick a color tile, if your thinking of selling the home go with something less amazing than chartreuse (personally i love the idea but most dont) its a relatively small space you have to work with, it will look better obviously once you have lights installed, previous post of 3x6 subway is classic it always looks good, there are also beveled subway tiles which look amazing, glass mosaic, in all different sizes shapes. Tile can be installed vertically as well as horizontally and on angle. I would not use stone, i know people do but with what is cooked on the stove, it soaks into the stone and discolors over time, glass and ceramic come clean. The possibilities are endless, listen to people suggestions, measure your space and take pictures, then go to you local tile store, they have a huge selection and you really need to see them in person. There there to help, the more info you bring to the table, the easier it will be to pare down the choices. Set up a folder in Evernote or something similar with things you've found on line, in magazines, pictures you've taken even if there not the material you want, look at color surface and shape, don't assume tile only comes in white! and have fun with it. Any of the Ann Sacks stuff is always nice, but it will cost you

Seminole
Light Rhythm
Woodside Residence
Case Design/Remodeling, Inc.
Small Contemporary Kitchen
http://www.glasstileoasis.com/p-13467-Blue-Blend-Blue-Glossy-Glass http://www.annsacks.com/onlinecatalog/program.jsp?cat=268004&coll=268304&prg=274004
January 29, 2013 at 3:56PM     
Lisa O'Halloran
I love the idea of glass tiles that will help reflect light. Find something that you absolutely LOVE the color of, and go for it. Keeping the entire back splash in the same tile design will help maximise the space. 4x4's are dated, I would go with a linear glass tile or a white subway. Have fun!
January 29, 2013 at 3:56PM     
jennifergil81
I would stick to light colours Greys and Blues love the post by Remya Warrior designs (glass tiles) :)
January 29, 2013 at 4:02PM     
Maureen Randall
The room seems heavy, a new window in the work? also, how about some stainless steel hanging lamps over the counter area? I would go with a pale gray color on the walls and subway tiles on the backsplash! Just my thoughts, lol.
January 29, 2013 at 5:55PM     
PRO
Decorating Den Interiors
I have to agree with the other comments. Stick with a neutral tile , (like this), and use the bright colors in your accessories. This way they can be easily changed out when they go out of style or you get tired of them.
January 29, 2013 at 6:00PM     
RocĂ­o
For me the kitchen need the backsplash to stand out the cabinets and make a contrast with the countertops, to avoid the kitchen looks dark you need to use clear colors, the darker color use it in a small proportion . You can combine Glass tiles with white ceramic tile. I recommend you something like this
Miller Kitchen
Painted White - Contemporary/Traditional
Aston Road Kitchen
January 29, 2013 at 6:02PM     
saltcitybabe
I am late to the party. I agree with white subway or glass tile. Use the green for barstools and other prominent accessories.
January 29, 2013 at 6:16PM     
Ruth Felice
If you can spare the cash buy one or two of your favorite tile looks and leave them against your backsplash for a week you ll know then you can return the tiles you dont like and buy the ones you do like
January 29, 2013 at 6:56PM     
mithatbasoglu
Sometimes mirror is a good choice for backsplash.
January 30, 2013 at 2:19AM   
Sars
We did a similar colour kitchen renovation, though our benches were white as well as the cabinets. We chose to break up all the white with a dark brown tile, this one in fact http://www.comparetiles.co.uk/Capua-Plata-Wall-Tile, and have accessorised in red. We did look in to glass tiles but they are much more expensive than regular ceramic tiles and cost more to lay as they are harder to cut.
January 30, 2013 at 2:37AM   
Cora Torres_Patek
I personally would do a white subway back splash, but then again, I tend to always play it safe. If the chartreuse is the way you are going... I would consider the subway tile in this picture.

January 30, 2013 at 5:38AM   
oneyellowrabbit
These are most excellent suggestions! Big thank you's to all. We do have a number of chartreuse samples at home, as well as 3x6 white tiles and a smattering of others. The white is much too plain, especially because we don't want to the focus to be the quartz countertop. The top end of the chimney and above the window area will be painted, we found a great soft grey/blue that we are keen on. This of course depends on the tile colour we choose. I see in the photo above that the undermount lights make the chartreuse kind of radioactive, which I'm not into. we will go back and get more glass samples...I'm quite digging the "light rhythm." Thanks again!
January 30, 2013 at 7:20AM     
oneyellowrabbit
Also, we are considering painting the bar stool area, on the bottom right, a bright, fun colour to add punch. that is easy to change up every few years if we are so inclined.
January 30, 2013 at 7:22AM   
PRO
Susan Jablon Mosaics
Hi oneyellowrabbit!
Your kitchen looks really beautiful! Since you are planning on using a bright color on the bar and want the option of changing it up, I think you should stay fairly subtle on the backsplash. Of course, subtle doesn't have to mean boring! It seems to me that you are looking for something fun and unique, not your run of the mill type tile, and that's exactly what we have on our site! I love the idea of using silver tiles or stainless steel for your backsplash. We carry these metallic foil tiles that are just gorgeous, and we have stainless steel tiles in a wide variety of shapes and patterns. You could also do a cool mosaic that incorporates silver in some way. Below are images of tiles/mosaics from our site to serve as a little inspiration for you. Good luck with your backsplash!
January 30, 2013 at 8:01AM     
maureenwats
Great space, you may want to consider a solid glass back splash. Browse houzz kitchen for the same and you will see some great images. We just did our bar with solid glass and it looks great. It's easy to clean, looks great with undercabinet lighting, and very economical.
January 30, 2013 at 8:30AM     
PRO
Susanne Redfield
The kitchen needs some character, something show stopping like this Falling Leaves tile pattern from from Ann Sacks https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=224853620918870&set=a.120146391389594.18786.111654962238737&type=3&theater
January 30, 2013 at 4:51PM   
PRO
January 30, 2013 at 4:52PM   
riverpam
I encourage you to go for it! There are many good suggestions here. When we were doing our kitchen --a complete redo -- people recommended keeping the backsplash "safe." And I thought, for what? So I could live with a boring backsplash in order that it would not offend potential buyers so many years hence? lol I love color and I love tile, so I picked a blend that made my heart sing, then I built the kitchen around it. Vintage pottery from the same pallette is arrayed on the shelves above the cabinets, and floor is terra cotta.
January 30, 2013 at 5:49PM     
riverpam
Another pix. Apologize for poor staging, these are the photos I had handy.
January 30, 2013 at 5:54PM     
PRO
Susan Jablon Mosaics
riverpam, I love your attitude towards backsplashes and agree whole heartedly!
January 31, 2013 at 6:45AM     
riverpam
Thanks, Susan! P.S. I can still switch off accessories, which I do often, based on the season and my mood, In the summer, I pick up the aqua and grays; in cooler months, I go with the earthier tones.
January 31, 2013 at 7:36AM