Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need opinion on what to put on entry table
cherylsorelle
January 29, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I want to update the items on my entry table because I'm sick of looking at these same things. Plus, I think they are looking dated. Does anyone have any suggestions? It has to be big because my ceilings are high. Thanks!!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Jayme H.
Do u like console cabinets? The other thought was a gigantic floor vase with natural branches, etc in it.
January 29, 2013 at 9:44am     
nasmijati
I do not know if you have room for a small club chair in this space. I am thinking a reading nook, as shown in this Houzz photo. I am sorry the photo does not enlarge on this post.
January 29, 2013 at 10:46am     
cherylsorelle
I like all those ideas, but with my space and everything else going on in the room, I need to keep it simple. I think a huge vase with branches might be best. To the left of the stairs, I have a secretary with a chair and lamp. To the right of the stirs, the entry flows directly into my living room where there are lots of chairs and bookcases flanked by the fireplace. I probably should've included those pictures for a better idea of the space. Here they go...
January 29, 2013 at 12:27pm   
nasmijati
The table you have is gorgeous. A huge vase with branches sounds good.

I wonder about a ficus tree in an ornamental pot, or do you think the tree would be too heavy for the table?
January 29, 2013 at 12:54pm     
Jayme H.
I saw some pics of small, round tables with large vases full of branches...I had some trouble finding a pic of a gigantic floor vase.
January 29, 2013 at 12:55pm   
cherylsorelle
I'm getting off track, but I had to post an updated picture of my living room. I took down the art to the left of the piano. I didn't realize how hideous it looked until I saw it photographed...LOL. This room still needs work too. Thanks for the advise on the entry table. What kind of vase? If you have pictures of ideas, I'd love to see. I'm a visual person...
January 29, 2013 at 1:41pm     
nasmijati
Hi. The piano room does look much better. I will see what kind of vases and pots I can find. It will be much later today or maybe tomorrow before I can get back here.
January 29, 2013 at 1:46pm     
kimdee24
cherylsorelle, your home is gorgeous!
January 29, 2013 at 2:01pm     
putter2
A large patterned vase with branches or really good artificial flowers, taller than those you have. And a brass tray for keys, mail, etc. You could skirt the table, but if you love it, leave it...it fits, and blends with the stairway.
January 29, 2013 at 2:08pm   
beaujolais
Hi there. I saw this and would like to add a few thoughts for you to consider. First of all I live in France and I see that you like French architecture and objects ie. the secretary, the corner table and the stair itself. If you would like to keep with the theme you would need to have freash flowers in a big vase preferably glass. The French love flowers and you rarely see dried flowers in homes. If you can afford it, I would do this. It will also give you a nice feeling I think since you said you are visual. Good luck.
January 29, 2013 at 2:25pm     
cherylsorelle
beaujolais, I agree, fresh flowers would be the most beautiful. I just wish fresh flowers weren't so expensive and lasted more than a week! I may choose that option whenever I entertain. Thank you for your advise.
January 29, 2013 at 2:31pm     
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
January 29, 2013 at 2:37pm     
nasmijati
It was much harder than I thought to find a decorative pot for a ficus or mini lemon or orange tree.
First photo has plain white planters.
Second photo is what I was envisioning, if it would be too heavy for the table.
Third photo has a vase.
Fourth photo has a piece of sculpture.

As suggested above, fresh flowers are always a good thing to see when one comes in the front door. Amaryllis bulbs grow into a tall, showy flower. You could try forcing some fruit tree, forsythia, or quince branches for that space, or buy some artificial ones and rotate them each month.
January 29, 2013 at 6:26pm     
nasmijati
P.S. All of these photos are from Houzz. I am sorry they do not enlarge on this post.
January 29, 2013 at 6:27pm   
cherylsorelle
Thanks! All those ideas give me something to think about.
January 29, 2013 at 6:45pm   
PRO
Winward Designs
How about a large calla lily arrangement? The clean lines and crisp white color will give the space an updated look. Plus it won't take away from your beautiful stair iron railings. You can find it here on our site. http://www.winwarddesigns.com/collections/flower-types-lily/products/elegant-callalilies.
February 1, 2013 at 10:22pm     
PRO
Winward Designs
February 1, 2013 at 10:24pm   
cherylsorelle
This is what I ended up with. I liked the fresh flower idea, but wanted them to last a little longer than a traditional arrangement/bouquet, so I had an orchid arrangement made...I might put some decorative books around it, or leave it alone - still not sure...
February 3, 2013 at 7:07am     
Bonnie
I would add some nice books
February 3, 2013 at 7:13am     
Judit
Lillies in a beautiful china vase!
February 3, 2013 at 7:14am   
Jayme H.
If you want elegant..it looks elegant like it is.
February 3, 2013 at 7:18am     
groveraxle
The orchids are beautiful!
February 3, 2013 at 7:27am     
nasmijati
I agree that the orchids look beautiful in this space.
February 3, 2013 at 1:49pm     
kitchener64
I see you have a plug behind the table... why not a beautiful lamp, put on a dimmer switch and then some low accessories around the base or a low plant.
February 3, 2013 at 1:59pm     
Judit
yes, an eye-cathing table lamp perhaps
February 3, 2013 at 4:19pm     
saladsue
Would the smallest piece in your previous vignette work with the new orchid? Worth a try. The orchid look lovely.
February 3, 2013 at 5:21pm   
cjohnston
I love the orchid. It would work well with the pale blue lamp above. You could also try a beautiful candelabra or pair of candlesticks. City: McDougald Residence San Francisco Pacific Heights Residence Victorian Residence
February 3, 2013 at 5:36pm     
Jayme H.
Sometimes less is more
February 3, 2013 at 5:57pm     
cherylsorelle
Regarding adding other decorative items to the orchid arrangement, I think that would look okay if my house wasn't so "accessory heavy" already. That alcove table flows into the entry, dining, and living room. It's really a lot to look at already. Since everything is so open, I think it might start looking a little cluttered. Look at all the previous pictures of my home posted for better reference. Thanks for your opinions. I really do appreciate them!
February 3, 2013 at 5:58pm     
cherylsorelle
Thanks Jayme!
February 3, 2013 at 6:00pm     
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
The orchids are a big improvement.
February 3, 2013 at 6:04pm     
Judit
yeah but they don't bloom all the time :)
February 4, 2013 at 4:13pm   
jacalyna
Love the orchids simple and clean the first was too busy, look how it shows off the beautiful railing. Lovely home.
February 4, 2013 at 4:39pm     
adm1002
Your staircase is incredible! I would keep it simple to keep the focus on that dramatic staircase. A large vase would be perfect. If it were me I would switch the table for something more simple with 2 cabinets.
February 4, 2013 at 4:45pm   
PRO
Susan Mills Design
Beautiful home! The curve of the stars and the intricacy of the railings require your tabletop items to accentuate and not compete. I would love to see topiaries, perhaps three of descending heights. Or one tall one with two other items such as candles and a box or bowl. Keep the items within the space created by the stairwell and not above the line of the stairs. Just like you already are doing!
February 4, 2013 at 5:14pm     
PRO
Christopher Gaona Design Studio
It looks like you have some electrical access. You might consider doing a simple dropcloth over the table but underneath the marble to showcase the stone. This way the detailing of the legs won't continue to compete with the banister. I would also recommend a lamp for added warmth, something in glass, very simple. Restoration Hardware has some great cut crystal lamps that offer great value and design. The rest of the accessories can be simple and functional...a dish for keys, a bowl of fruit, a favorite picture on an easel. Have fun!
February 4, 2013 at 5:25pm     
carbary
I like the orchid. I think a small silver tray a few books and a crystal rose bowl with a candle in it would be a nice addition.
February 4, 2013 at 5:34pm   
beaujolais
Great choice with the orchid...I was going to suggest you get something beautiful made out of silk flowers and I was looking for an example for you...but it's not necessary any longer...you made the perfect choice!!
February 8, 2013 at 7:33am     
Nancy Hehmann
I love your home!! One of the last places in the US to hand blow glass is Blenko and they have a website. You can google it. I am sure if you call them they can tell you color options available. The only reason I know about them is I toured the factory when in grade school with my Girl Scout Troop. I have a beautiful blue floor vase from long ago that was a wedding present.
February 8, 2013 at 7:46am