Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
need help with kitchen
knoxnews
January 29, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I need help updating the look of the kitchen. I would like to stain or paint the cabinets a dark color and maybe add a crown. I need suggestions on lighting and overall theme. What type of table do I need? What type of window treatments? Is it too small of an island? Do I need curtains or blinds for the windows by the table? What type of back splash? Can I add pendant lights? Would a chandelier over the table be too much? Any suggestions on lighting for the various areas of the kitchen that all flows? Please send photos and suggestions. Thanks.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Laura Makey
Get rid of lighting.
1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 9:58AM
nasmijati
Cabinets:
Your cabinets seem to be in good condition. If this was my kitchen, I would have the cabinets extend all the way to the ceiling (second tier). The upper tier could have solid fronts or glass fronts with lights inside. I would update the hardware.

Color: Perhaps choose one of the lightest colors from the beautiful countertop and have that color paint made with 3 parts color to one part white for the walls.

Counter/island: These look fine to me.

Window treatments: The floral valances seem out of date to me. I would remove them and the blinds at the kitchen window, as well. Then I would hire a drapery consultant.

Backsplash: Your countertops have quite a lot of visual detail and "motion." If this was my space, I might paint the backsplash with the lightest color from the countertop, in a semi-gloss or high gloss finish.

Lighting: The kitchen lighting looks like it could be made much more efficient for general illumination and task lighting. I would not use a chandelier above the kitchen table, because you have a formal dining room with a chandelier. Perhaps this is a place where pendant lights could be used. I am no lighting expert. I would hire a consultant for this.

That is what I would do. Take from this what you will.
Best wishes.
1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 10:09AM
knoxnews
thanks!
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 12:08PM
PRO
Frank Webb's Bath and Lighting Center
I am a lighting "expert" lol, the chandelier over the kitchen table is fine since it isn't as formal as the one in the dining room and they aren't next to each other, but you may want to make sure it is centered over the table and hanging approx 30" above the table, right now it looks a little off center and up to high, I would replace the spotlight over the sink with a mini pendant and replace the fluorescent fixture in the center with something that takes at least 3-60 watt bulbs that you can dim. If you have access to the ceiling from an attic above I would add recessed lights around the kitchen cabinets, if not then under cabinet lights will help give you more task lighting
1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 12:21PM