Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Curtain ideas please!,
Julie Flagtwet
January 29, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Need ideas for curtains in this living room! Chairs are vintage looking crushed velvet in browns golds and bright sky blue ( colors don't show well in pics). Thinking of painting fireplace wall blue....or whole room??? Home is decorated transitional with some tuscan and this room is giving me an old world feel. Want it warm , cozy, place for coffee or nightcaps! It is right by front door and the first room you see. Any ideas from all you inspirational people?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindy219
I just had plantation shutters installed on all my windows and would also like ideas for drapes. I'm brand new to this site.
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 10:55AM
decoenthusiaste
You do need paint to warm the room up to a truly Tuscan flavor. Might see if some of the paint stores have a Tuscan palette you could begin with. Maybe a special paint treatment would work well. Tuscan blues are usually very intense and purple based or very washed turquoise. Gold would be pretty too. Your white shutters might have to be glazed and antiqued to get the feeling, and you may not want to do that throughout the house.
2008 Parade of Homes house
French Country
Mediterranean
Eads Residence
River Oaks Residence
Kitchen
1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 11:08AM
PRO
Treena Crochet
The nice thing about plantation shutters is they are great insulators against heat and cold, are fully adjustable for directing the light, and can be opened all the way to take in views. It is tricky to get window drapes to cooperate if you plan on opening the shutters all the way. I suggest hanging a valance above the shutters, a valance that adds color and pattern to the room but still allows you to open the shutters when you want. If the shutters will stay closed most of the time, then you could do simple side panels that will add color and pattern, like in this example from Smith and Noble: the panels add pattern and color but aren't necessarily operable.
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 11:11AM
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
I have plantation shutters in my current home, but I have simple side panels (95") hung just off the window sides and all the way to the ceiling. For a more Tuscan look use a wrought iron rod. Possibly a patterned fabric to bring some color, as I cannot see your rug and do not see any other pattern in the room. After this choice & a rug, use them as a means to select the color for the walls & ceiling. Lots of paint colors and few fabric/rug choices that appeal to you. Paint color always last. PS..regarding the blue..maybe it would be best to use it for accents, rather than on the walls. Always buy samples and paint poster boards 2 coats to tape around the room before you paint the real walls.
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 11:20AM
Julie Flagtwet
The shutters will stay closed as they don't open flush to the wall, and I agree, I am not sure about blue walls but many friends suggested it! Attached is a pic of the floor rug , the wall to wall stays. I like the look of the silk taffeta curtains but maybe too heavy?? And as far as pattern on curtains, as you see the chairs are very heavy patterned so how would I complement?? The carpet is a soft gold.
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 11:45AM
Julie Flagtwet
Thanks for the Smith and Noble recomendation! There appears to be one very close to me!
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 11:57AM
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
I would probably choose solid panels for drapery. I like the rug, but..I would maybe move it to another room and find one that may have a little more multi color on a larger scale. The blue pillows are the only real color you can see. I would suggest some of that blue in a new rug.., but no more brown...maybe something with narrow stripes. Choose your wall color after you have all your fabrics, drapes, rug, pillows..then choose a wall color and always buy samples to try before you really paint.
1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 12:35PM
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
Decorative Rod should be mounted 6'' above the window and 3'' over lapping so the panels have where to sit. The drapery should just touch the ground. Grommet drapery would look great.
http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/drapery-toronto/panels/grommet-drapery.html
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 1:19PM
PRO
Audra's Draperies, Inc
I would suggest stationary drapery panels with some blue in it. Solid blue would be nice too, always can customized it with the border or trim and tiebacks.
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 2:19PM
PRO
Audra's Draperies, Inc
Some more....
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 3:27PM
Tammy Tucker
I love the burlap curtains. They will go with anything.
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 4:17PM
Tammy Tucker
Wes a big decorate rod.
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 4:17PM
Vic Reffett
Paint he wall next to the window a deep red leave the other walls cream colored this will bring out the richness in the room instead of curtains use vances to cover the window brown,white or cream will not only give you privacy but will in deed make the room feel cozy and comfortable and well go with your furiture.
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 4:33PM
janishill
Hang the drapes high and wide to allow as much light as possible in.
1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 4:55PM
PRO
Julie Thome Draperies, Inc.
I feel your room needs some pattern somewhere. The pattern on the velvet chairs in not very noticeable. Drapes would be a good place to introduce it. You said you wanted a warm room...I would avoid a blue on the walls in that case....but use fabrics with touches of blue only. Find some pretty wrought iron hardware for panels and hang the rods 3/4 of the way up in the space between the top of the window and the ceiling. Hang panels wide enough for the shutters to be operable.
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 5:01PM