Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Dealing with an eyesore convection unit
Danielle B
January 29, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We are in phase 2 of our kitchen/dining/living room. Phase 1 involved gutting and redoing the entire cooking area, as well as replacing a bay window for a patio door in the dining area. Installing the patio door meant we had to replace to old electric rad with a new (and big!!!) convection radiator. It works very well, but it isn't too pretty... Should I try to hide it? The armoire will go, but it needs to be replaced with some form of china storage. Any suggestions? Attached pictures show our remodeled kitchen and dining room.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
redheadedwmn
How about a built in type of buffet/sideboard unit?
January 29, 2013 at 2:19pm     
saraj11357
I like the side board buffet Idea the top left one! You could keep you existing armoire, just paint it and your table white! You have enough space for both, sideboard and armoire ! ? Love your kitchen! Beautiful!
January 29, 2013 at 2:38pm     
hangmyhat
I agree, built a cover for the rad maybe with a white stone top ( go to a place & see what's in there markdown pile). Then I'd try that picture from the fireplace over top of the rad. It's a nice picture but is lost on the fireplace. I'd also get a table runner with some red in it for the dining table.
January 29, 2013 at 2:45pm     
groveraxle
How about a floating sideboard that goes right over the top of the convection unit? The second pic below shows one with storage in the center and counters off either end that would provide space for the convection unit and still allow it to operate. Might want to check on whether there is clearance required for the unit, or whether it would require a counter surface tolerant of heat.
A.P. House
Mid-Century Modern Home
January 29, 2013 at 3:58pm     
carolannr
Even an old style Welsh cabinet would work to be placed in the area of the new radiator. It has an open bottom - four legs exposed under a four shelved china display. It would allow the heat to circulate but not look as contemporary as the above postings. More in keeping with the style of your stone fireplace. Think old Irish kitchen..
January 29, 2013 at 4:11pm     
PRO
Rustic Home
I see you have some great hard wood chairs and the table.
There is a lot you could do, as per the size of the room. A 7 foot China Cabinet could be a complete "No" if the room size is small and at the same time a Dining height or a 36" inch high sideboard is a winner. Try involve some metal element, in terms of Cast Iron Grills or Wrought Iron Grills to give it a classier look.
I have a few pictures I could send you !!!
January 29, 2013 at 6:19pm   
mac9
I love sideboard number two because it goes with your kitchen and your dinning set. The idea to paint the armoire white (like the kitchen) was just what I was thinking. Good luck.
January 30, 2013 at 5:11pm   
fairviewbonnie
Love your new kitchen with the pop of red! Very nice. I would vote for the first radiator cover shown. How about painting that cabinet white or apple green and put some clear glass on the door so you can display your china. Maybe put a light in the cabinet. Of course, you have to consider the china color in your selection. You have good taste, so keep up the good work.
January 30, 2013 at 5:25pm   
Danielle B
Thanks everyone for your ideas! I love the idea of the radiator cover, and I think the top left sideboard that redheadedwmn suggested. It would really fit the style of our kitchen. I am not sure if a cover is safe and energy efficient with this type of radiator. Does anyone know about that?
Unfortunately, the armoire will have to be replaced. I still love it, but it is so deep, I can’t access its content when we sit at the dinner table, it’s driving me nuts! I will look the classifieds to see if I can find a 2nd hand china display cabinet that can also camouflage the rad…
The table and chairs are keepers, but since the top has scratches, I want to refinish it. Possible options are restaining or painting. I am tempted to go bold and paint them with one of the kitchen’s accent colors (light blue, red or green-yellow). Is that too daring?
January 30, 2013 at 7:16pm