powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Color of drapes? Stripes or not? Sheer or not?
Bobbie S
January 29, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hi,

Would like some recommendations on colors and styles for these windows. I like a grommet top.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Bobbie S
The color of blinds..
January 29, 2013 at 1:56pm     
putter2
Room's too big for sheers......Stripes or solid, but something woven or nubby for texture, and to warm the room. You could use big fat bamboo poles. I'd get a much bigger rug, also......
January 29, 2013 at 2:04pm     
Bobbie S
Like the bamboo idea. What colors?
January 29, 2013 at 2:05pm   
Bobbie S
Like this?
January 29, 2013 at 2:06pm     
putter2
H-m-m-m.......maybe stick with the couch color, then get a rug with more colors in it. Is this couch just staring at a TV? Try putting the TV in the corner, so it's not the focal point. Would also be nice to have a long narrow console table behind the couch with one, or a pair or lamps...if you have room. Might have to move the couch closer to the windows.
January 29, 2013 at 2:12pm     
putter2
Great windows....put the poles up high. And if you can, move the shades up so that the tops are hidden under the poles, then drop the shades to just below the top window moulding.....will make the room feel bigger.....
January 29, 2013 at 2:14pm     
Bobbie S
We are going to put the sofa where window is. I could leave room in back for console. Thought of that before. The tv will be on short wall. Just haven't moved it yet. This way sofa will be further from tv. This is where it will go. This opposite.
January 29, 2013 at 2:17pm   
973jamrock
Bordeaux valance would be nice
January 29, 2013 at 2:29pm     
sderico
First remove the Cowboy throw. Just kidding, I'm a Redskins fan.

Since your couch is a rich color, I would match the wall color and the drapery color...neutral. Add additional color by adding art. I like the furniture arrangement others have mention.
January 29, 2013 at 2:36pm     
Bobbie S
Lol!
That's my hubby throw. I am a redskins fan.
January 29, 2013 at 2:52pm     
Bobbie S
What color neutral? Can I do a brown? Or is that too much?
January 29, 2013 at 2:54pm   
Bobbie S
January 29, 2013 at 3:09pm     
PRO
studio | FORMA
Hello Bobbie S,

I love the color on the sofa and actually like the sofa floating in the room instead of by the windows. You could add a sofa/console table behind it and a tall leaning mirror on the wall behind the sofa and next to the stairs.

As for the curtains I would not hang panels and sheers together with the wood mini blinds, it would look way to heavy and the sheers on their own would look to light.

Consider a lighter printed fabric like a block printed linen fabric that has a lot of texture and darker wood rods and finials.

Here are some suggestions.
January 29, 2013 at 3:11pm     
PRO
studio | FORMA
a few more:
January 29, 2013 at 3:12pm     
Bobbie S
Like this?
January 29, 2013 at 3:27pm     
PRO
studio | FORMA
Those would work. I like the first picture, toupe ikat
January 29, 2013 at 3:34pm     
PRO
Wallmark Homes
Stripes or textured in lighter color to help brighten the room.
January 29, 2013 at 3:38pm     
sderico
Too funny. Send hubby to the basement. Lol. I love the first set of panels you found. Any of those would work.
January 29, 2013 at 3:39pm   
PRO
Teresa M. Morgan
The room is very warm in color. Grommet works great. I would choose a green nongeometric bold pattern.
January 29, 2013 at 3:42pm     
PRO
Teresa M. Morgan
I agree with studio forma. I like the second suggestion. You can't go wrong with Ikat patterns right now!
January 29, 2013 at 3:44pm   
PRO
Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
OK, sorry to butt in but,................No gromets! Open weave linen with a banded bottom or one of the paisley patterns shown above. Introduce an additional color to break things up a bit. Add art between at least two of the windows. Make the art easy to "read" from a distance, not a busy print or painting. Definately add a console behind the sofa and tuck a pair of ottomans underneath.
January 29, 2013 at 3:52pm     
PRO
studio | FORMA
Great ideaJeffrey Brooks ID!!
January 29, 2013 at 4:00pm     
Bobbie S
Jeffery can you post an example please? And thank you!
January 29, 2013 at 4:05pm   
Bobbie S
Ok... Great ideas

Here us one I found they also gave a shiitake color and a green??
January 29, 2013 at 4:10pm     
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
I like stripes that would visually lift the ceiling height.
January 29, 2013 at 4:12pm     
Bobbie S
January 29, 2013 at 4:50pm     
Bobbie S
.?
January 29, 2013 at 6:00pm   
PRO
Window Wear & More
A neutral based stripe that includes the red in the sofa would be ideal. It will raise the height of the room and add a pattern that is not already in the room. You could use the same fabric to do some throw pillows. Make sure to put the rod close to the ceiling for added height.
January 30, 2013 at 6:37am     
PRO
Sherri Fitzgerald
Hi Bobbie ! Just checking out your curtain ideas. I'm an interior decorator and I love the drapes from JC Penny that are the top right picture above this comment. The one that is beige with a burgandy scroll design. The design will definitely add some style to your space. Place the rods higher than your window....about halfway between the top of the window molding and the bottom of the crown molding on the ceiling. Also put the rod 6 inches outside of the window frame on both sides of the curtain, this way when the curtains are open you will have a lot of natural light and the curtains won't be bunched together too much...they will hang nice and you will still see that beautiful pattern when they are open as well. Grommets or hoops will add a modern touch. Sometimes I order one extra curtain panel and recover my existing throw pillows... make sure you add a little extra filling to fluff them back up. You have great taste by the way!!!!! Happy Decorating!
January 30, 2013 at 6:44am     
Susan Chandlee
I love Plantation shutters then use a valance grabbing a color in the room
January 30, 2013 at 6:45am     
PRO
Connie Elaine's Draperies
Hi,
Your room is already taking on a nice warm and cozy feel. The way that you treat your windows can really make it a showstopper. I agree with the comment to set rods high, because the windows are already much higher than your front door. I would treat each window separately due to the large space between, which is actually perfect for the colorful poster size artwork that is now available. It would be in better proportion, therefore more calming than a bunch of small pieces. I would do faux soft roman shades in a geometric to bridge the area from the top of the rod to just below the tops of the blinds, then add nicely textured fabric (like the eyelash) for side panels at each window.
January 30, 2013 at 6:48am     
Kate
Plantation shutters...natural wood color. Expensive, but clean and sophisticated!
January 30, 2013 at 7:00am     
PRO
JMittman Designs
I would prefer seeing a pattern such as those listed above by cefi. Stripes can get tricky--you might not see all the colors you want to see depending how the pleat or folds lay.
January 30, 2013 at 7:03am     
mydixiedoodle
I am not sure anyone else mentioned this, but if you do go with drapes which are full length, you will not be able to keep anything on the curtain wall, like the plant in the corner or the piece of furniture between two of the windows. Personally I find drapes can be "cluttering" but they will work for you if you remove all of the "stuff" on the window side. Otherwise it will look messy and you will lose your clean lines. I think a thinner and bigger rug like someone else suggested will look better as well, more balanced. And it should be in a pattern but not a pattern which will clash with the curtains. Maybe you should choose your rug first (work from the bottom up) and then choose a color within the rug for the drapes. This attention to color will tie everything together. Adding a few pillows for the sofa will also work. And yes, remove the blanket from the back. If you use it for warmth, fold it up and leave it somewhere. Maybe in a wire basket next to the sofa or near the TV. I just thought about this: You could move the plant between two of the windows but make sure it is in a nice pot. But that's it, just the plant...nothing else... :)
January 30, 2013 at 7:19am     
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
I would recommend putting up 1 rod across should be mounted 6'' above the window frame. I would put small decorative panels to frame each window . So in total you should have 4 panels.
http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/drapery-toronto/panels/pinch-pleat-drapery.html
January 30, 2013 at 7:40am   
PRO
Terry Koks
I think your windows need very slim non functional panels. Your widows are fabulous and the only reason I can see to place drapery on them is to soften the look of the room, and give it a finished look. Your hardware should not extend more than 8" of either side of the window and your drapery panels should not cover any of the glass when hanging. I love the bottom fabric that cefi suggested but the warm feel of the bottom JCP drapery panels would work as well. Just scrunch them up so the are all off of the window wen open.
January 30, 2013 at 7:52am     
PRO
Sherri Fitzgerald
I like your rug and have a solution to putting things by the curtain wall. Place your sofa in the center of the curtain wall. Make sure the sofa is pulled out a little so it doesnt touch the drapes. Put the sofa on the bare floor will non skid pads under the legs. Put your rug in front of your sofa like th floor plan I have attached. I don't know the dimentions of your room but this will give a rough idea of what to do with your furniture. There are two options for you.
January 30, 2013 at 8:03am     
PRO
B INTERIORS
I would do window panels with bold color - to pull in the red and gold and some other colors for interest. A Large ikat print would be fabulous. http://www.houzz.com/photos/products/ikat/p/180
These panels are available at World Market. Eclectic Curtains design by Other Metro Furniture And Accessories World Market
January 30, 2013 at 8:10am     
Bobbie S
@ Sheri this one?
January 30, 2013 at 9:10am   
Bobbie S
Sherri or did you mean this one?
January 30, 2013 at 9:14am     
PRO
Sherri Fitzgerald
The bottom one.. not the gold.
January 30, 2013 at 9:50am   
PRO
Sherri Fitzgerald
So Bobbie I checked out the JC Penny Website... I suggest you go with the color madison rust.
January 30, 2013 at 10:15am   
Bobbie S
So one reviewer said Madison rust is a dark brown/burgundy and background is a dark taupe?? Is that ok?
January 30, 2013 at 12:03pm   
dianemcarter
My recommendation is a deep rust or dark brown lined drape. since you have the same 3 windows in a row, it would look very stylish to pull the drapes over from left to right with a tie back or hook instead of a divided grommet drape, which would appear as dark stripes on narrow windows. Hope you can see what I am seeing. hahaha
January 30, 2013 at 12:41pm   
PRO
Sherri Fitzgerald
Madison rust is a cream and redish burgandy color
The last pic you posted was the shititake color.... but the madison rust will bring out the reds in your sofa
January 30, 2013 at 12:49pm   
PRO
Sherri Fitzgerald
Even if it is a burgandy brown it should still look good because of the other colors in the room. Order them and see...
January 30, 2013 at 12:51pm   
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
I like the floor arrangement with the sofa at the window..but not so far into the corner. I think the rug is the biggest problem. I would look for a rug with a big pattern..could be a 2 color geometric, a little larger than the one you have now and place just the front feet of sofa on it. The TV to where the xmas tree & chair are located. I would buy a cabinet for the TV if possible to put it into or a high cabinet on which to set it. Glass end tables & large lamps. Drapery natural fiber (look) off white-beige color..simple. Hang on a black metal rod at the ceiling..panels (95") with back loops, 6 panels off the window edges. On long wall as mentioned above, a large long console of some sort. Center on wall with very large art over it (1 really large piece, 2 quite large, tall pieces, or 4 framed the same pieces..the top of this needs to go up 3-4" lower than the top of the windows, and a few large items on it. Angle the other chair & ottoman into the room from the left side of the console. Decorative pillows, maybe 2 small glass & metal tables in front of the sofa.
January 30, 2013 at 1:22pm   
Bobbie S
Is 95" long enough? The ceiling height is 9 feet? Will that go to the floor?
January 30, 2013 at 1:28pm   
myuglykitchen
The curtains i just bought from lowes would look great. They have a few pinstripe colors with the burgandy and hunter green standing out. They have texure. Let me work on getting a picture up of them.
Edna
January 30, 2013 at 1:53pm     
PRO
Sherri Fitzgerald
9 feet is 108 inches so 95 should be exactly right. They won't drag on the floor but will be just above your base board if hung about 6 inches above the window. if you need them to touch the floor make the rod only three inches above the window....... If you want them to flow onto the floor like in this picture order 108 inches

January 30, 2013 at 2:23pm     
dianemcarter
If you want them to go to the ceiling, definitely buy 108" drapes.
January 30, 2013 at 3:35pm     
Bobbie S
Ok.. I think I want to go a more neutral route. I just want the windows to look finished. I checked out lowes and they have a good selection. Thank you for all the help!

Could this work?
January 31, 2013 at 4:36am   
funhuntr
Red and white/fawn awning vertical stripe drapes, will add a touch of whimsy to a rather traditional room
January 31, 2013 at 7:01am   
PRO
Ideas for your drapery..............
January 31, 2013 at 7:07am     
Bobbie S
?
January 31, 2013 at 8:37am   
PRO
Sherri Fitzgerald
Hi again...You seem to be all over the place with your ideas... this may help...ask yourself ...Do I want to tame down the room and add an elegant touch ? Or do I want pizzaz...a style that will make my room look wow? If you want a more tame elegant look the gold stripe you posted this morning will be nice...get them extra long and let them bunch up on the floor...very elegant. However if you are as young and hip as your picture shows I think you want your room to look wow with a lot of style go for the madison rust from JC Penny...and make matching cushions...this option might cost a little more but if its the look you want it will be worth it in the end. PS...golds are going out of style... in a year or so you will want to update them again... the red and creams are timeless and modern. Add a second cushion in solid cream to go with the drape patterned cushion and it will pull the room together nicely. BTW did you look at the sears catolgue website.... they have some nice options that are easier on the pocketbook

January 31, 2013 at 9:14am   
Bobbie S
You are so right!

I am very indecisive!

The idea was to add something to the windows. They don't look finished. I want to add some softness to the room. Not too formal ( as I am not a formal person)

I'm not afraid of color at all. But don't want to have to change it in 6 months either. Or have it too busy.. Did you see the one that looked ombré?

I appreciate all your help!
January 31, 2013 at 9:24am   
PRO
Sherri Fitzgerald
Ok... you are fortunate I have the day off!LOL I have been scouting through a few sites but JC Penny has a few I liked best. These pick up colors and patterns already in the room and will add style and softness but not over power the room. I have attached pics and here are the names of the curtains and the colors i think would look nicest.
J C Penny- Studio™ Focus Grommet-Top Drapery Panel- color- rootbeer
Electra Grommet-Top Drapery Panel -color-tan chocolate
Studio™ Trio Grommet-Top Drapery Panel -color- warm spice milti
January 31, 2013 at 11:04am     
Bobbie S
Love them!

The one to the right I had picked before!

Thank you!!
January 31, 2013 at 11:44am   
PRO
Sherri Fitzgerald
Your welcome! I'm glad I could help. Make sure you post pics of them when you hang them. Remember to adjust the rod height according to your curtain length when they come. Happy decorating!
January 31, 2013 at 11:48am   
Bobbie S
The one in the middle is only 84 inch? Is that ok?
January 31, 2013 at 11:58am   
alefantee
Definitely NO stripes, but something textured would be beautiful.
January 31, 2013 at 12:01pm   
PRO
Sherri Fitzgerald
Measure from the top of the window molding to the floor. If it is that length go ahead with it if you like those the best. They will look good.
January 31, 2013 at 1:06pm   
Bobbie S
Ok Sherri. I found these what do you think?
January 31, 2013 at 5:38pm     
PRO
Sherri Fitzgerald
I like the red ones but either of them would look good.
February 1, 2013 at 3:26am     
kingslane
Solid color is my suggestion..Burnt Sienna ..
February 1, 2013 at 4:18am   
Bobbie S
He moved the tv!
February 1, 2013 at 6:57pm   
Bobbie S
I will make adjustments later. The sofa can't go quite centered. The wall tv is on is shorter. Sofa will be off with that. Room looks much bigger now and more open.
February 1, 2013 at 6:59pm   
mbbrown
Why not try making two seating areas for the room. Move the sofa away from the windows and closer to the T.V., perhaps in the middle of the room with a console. and another with two chairs and a table in the middle near the windows. If you decde to leave the sofa where it is try to center below the middle window and make another seating arrangement facing the T.V.
February 3, 2013 at 7:08am   
maureenwats
Please don't buy window treatments that are too short, they should touch the floor and at least start 6-8 inches above window trim. If they are too short you could re-hem the bottom or top.
February 3, 2013 at 7:21am     
thegriers
Are the blinds in the windows in your last pictures just temporary? Just a little too stark against the wall. Definitely need the draperies. You've already had many opinions on that. What really strikes me is the lack of anything on the walls, no side tables, lamps or accessories. The rug is nice but is just too small and really would look better if it had a simple design with more color in it like you have in the room. Also, if it were larger you could turn your chair more toward the TV with the ottoman in front of it. That long wide wall with nothing on it would drive me crazy. Maybe a long console table or a row of low bookcases with art above it or even a couple of tall bookcases could add a lot more color and interest to the room. You could use decorative items that would tie into you room colors on the shelves. I like your couch and chair and your colors, just think you need to fill in the blank places to pull it all together and make it feel warm. Hope this is of some help.
February 3, 2013 at 9:21am     
thickskin
You should let your drapes brush the floor. Hanging them above the baseboard is like having your pants above your shoes. Like Erkle.
February 3, 2013 at 9:36am     
misecretary
I didn't read all the comments -- sorry if this is a repeat. The windows don't appear to be very wide. I like the bamboo idea--how about placing drapery panels between the windows as well. It will provide the warmth and pop of color you seek.
February 3, 2013 at 10:02am     
Bobbie S
Thanks for all the help!

I purchased 95" drapes. My ceiling height is 9 feet. It's a new house so there is a lot to do. I almost like the old arrangement lol. (Furniture) needs to grow once. It's just more open this way.

We will paint after 1 year. Waiting for all the bail pos. house is really settling now. I will oust some picks when I get the drapes up. I ordered these.
February 3, 2013 at 11:43am     
Bobbie S
Darn auto correct.. I will post
And nail pops..
February 3, 2013 at 11:44am   
PRO
Sherri Fitzgerald
Hi again Bobby. I want you to try something with your furniture because it does look a little too crammed in the corners. Can you turn your rug so it touches the side wall and spreads long ways in front of your sofa. Pull the rug and sofa a little more toward the tv. Its ok if it is a foot or two away from the wall. As well your tv...can it be moved a foot more toward your stairs? And then your sofa can come away from the wall too. Place the chair on the rug like this.
February 3, 2013 at 12:27pm     
Bobbie S
This is the model home pics of my house.
February 3, 2013 at 3:58pm     
Bobbie S
More pic. We don't have dining there.
February 3, 2013 at 4:02pm     
Bobbie S
Except we are interior unit. No windows on side wall.
February 3, 2013 at 4:02pm   
PRO
Sherri Fitzgerald
This is the idea I am trying to create for your room. I found this picture at http://www.raymourflanigan.com....
February 3, 2013 at 7:34pm     
Bobbie S
Got it. So tv would be left wall right?
February 3, 2013 at 7:50pm   
PRO
Sherri Fitzgerald
Leave the tv where your husband just moved it... Build the rest of the room around it. Making a conversation area.Put the couch across and the chair where the ones in this pic are.
February 3, 2013 at 8:00pm     
amberwpeters
Larger rug, console table with lamp on it. Floor lamp beside chair. You can either do pole all the way across with panel on each end or two short rods on each window on outside and put panel on each end and leave middle window alone. Hang rod high as possible. I would consider rod with rings, more in style. Don't skimp on size of rod. You want something to make an impact and not look wimpy. Think of it as your jewelry. Get rid of matchy matchy pillows and do something fun. I like the ones with black in them. Consider a black wood rod for a great impact.
February 3, 2013 at 8:10pm   
Bobbie S
I like it Sherri.
February 3, 2013 at 8:27pm   
Bobbie S
Need more stuff! Lol

Thank you! I will post updates..
February 3, 2013 at 8:27pm   
Bobbie S
Ok Sherri. I moved rug. It's 2 of the same by the way. I think it does look more proportioned. I left room in corner for side table. Moved tv closer to the stairs. My chair is a little larger scale but at least fits on rug now. Here are some pics. Again thank you!
February 4, 2013 at 6:02am   
Bobbie S
More pics
February 4, 2013 at 6:05am   
Genevieve
That rug looks too small for the area
February 4, 2013 at 6:08am     
amberwpeters
Looking good. Pull up the lamp between the chair and couch. I would turn the chair on an angle a bit toward tv.
February 4, 2013 at 6:11am   
Bobbie S
Rugs together 10x8
February 4, 2013 at 6:17am   
Bobbie S
Moved this back to where I had it before.
February 4, 2013 at 7:43am     
thegriers
Hi. I realize that you must be trying to just use what you've got but the furniture placement is all wrong because you're trying to get it all on the rug and it's just too small. If the rug was bigger or just gone you could push your chair back a little more and angle it toward TV and it would look a lot more normal and well spaced, you could even keep it at an angle and move it more back toward the end of the couch with a side table between that both could use. That would really open up the room.
February 4, 2013 at 8:07am     
thegriers
There are slip proof pads and such to put under the legs of your furniture on wood to keep it from moving around or scarring your floor.
February 4, 2013 at 8:14am     
PRO
Sherri Fitzgerald
You're really getting there now Bobby!!! The sofa, red ottoman and rug are all good. The chair is too close now though. Pull it back. It may need to be on the floor or partly on the rug and floor. Make the front of the sofa and the front of the chair make a 90 degree angle. I hope you see what I mean...LOL... Iwish so bad I could stand there and push them the right way for you. It's hards to explain like this!!! LOL
February 4, 2013 at 8:21am     
PRO
Sherri Fitzgerald
If it still looks too crammed together pull the rug so it is in the middle if all the furniture. So the legs of the sofa and chair are on the floor and the rug is touching the front legs of both of them. When you sit on the couch your feet would still be on the rug.
February 4, 2013 at 8:25am     
Bobbie S
I'm trying Sherri! Lol
February 4, 2013 at 8:26am   
PRO
Sherri Fitzgerald
I know you are!! Keep it up! You'll get it! It just needs a little tweeking.... I have to get back to work but I'll have a few more ideas for you this evening
February 4, 2013 at 8:30am   
nikitasmom
I just love your husband. Calmly sitting on the sofa as you huff and puff moving furniture around him. Since the chair seems to be facing a blank wall I would try pulling it back a bit and putting it at an angle towards the couch or towards the tv.
February 4, 2013 at 8:35am     
Genevieve
I had a good laugh all by myself just now nikitasmom:)) I can imagine the husband sitting on the sofa while moving around the room he will probably get dizzy by the time we are done with it :))
February 4, 2013 at 8:39am     
Bobbie S
Actually ladies... When I came home the other night he had moved everything while I was at work. I've been complaining for a couple of months I wanted to change. Lol
February 4, 2013 at 9:58am   
PRO
Sherri Fitzgerald
Tell him he's a good man!!!
February 4, 2013 at 10:02am     
Bobbie S
Ok Sherri. I changed a little more. Slid tv a little more to stairs. Then moved rug closer to tv. I will buy some non skid pads. I moved the chair over to other side. Making sure the DH tv view is not obstructed. Lol. What do you think?? Better? Need to get side tables. Poufs are for my basement green sectional coming! I'm scared lol. Tell me what you think. I think drapes will make a huge difference in the space.
February 4, 2013 at 11:42am     
PRO
Sherri Fitzgerald
Looking much better!
February 4, 2013 at 11:44am     
amberwpeters
I would put a pretty mirror above your chest with a think lamp off to the side. It would cozy up that area. The one beside the steps
February 4, 2013 at 12:17pm     
Bobbie S
Question?

With chair on other side it's very open. Which I like. Before it closed up
The room. It's a decent size room.

My husband doesn't like all the openness. Lets just say I do something with it what would that something me?

A smaller scale chair? I like it open really. Thanks!
February 4, 2013 at 12:28pm   
PRO
Sherri Fitzgerald
You can assure your husband that when the room is finished he will be much happier too. Right now the openess of the space feels a little empty but that will change. The drapes alone will add volume to the room. Now your room needs end tables for the couch and although I cant see behind the sofa in the pictures ....I would say you need a sofa table OR a low bookshelf behind the sofa. I don't know where you live but I am in Canada and on kijiji.ca you can find people who are moving or downsizing and getting rid of nice furniture at a fraction of what you would buy new.....don't know if you are into bargain hunting that way but i've seen poeple find some pretty great things...the key is only go after things you really love or you could end up with a lot of junk.....
February 4, 2013 at 3:30pm     
equisuz
Definitely stripe or bold large pattern and go right to the ceiling. I would treat that whole wall like it was all windows behind. Don't treat each window separately.
February 4, 2013 at 3:34pm   
PRO
Sherri Fitzgerald
You also need to turn the wall where the tv used to be into a feature wall that will say wow when you enter the room. When you do get around to painting make sure you paint that wall a color and add art work to it to make it really nice. I am posting pictures of rooms with nice feature walls that will give you an idea of what to do...dont look at the colors look at the designs. A colored wall with a large painting or a colored wall with cool stick on designs etc... the last two have moular tiles and they are a little expensive but if you cover a peice or two of board with modern paintable wallpaper you could have the same effect. Put them together like a picture or a few pictures that would look well on that wall.
The table you moved back by the stairs..... the vase could use a few slender very tall decorative sticks or grass in it
from Design Public
Project in Progress
Adelson
Flower Burst Set of 12 Graphic Decals
Modern elegance
Stainless Steel Fireplace and modularArts wall
Living Room / Dining Room.
Riverside Property
February 4, 2013 at 4:15pm     
Bobbie S
Nice! Good idea. Interesting number 1 and 5 I had already saved to my idea books! 5 I liked the color.
February 4, 2013 at 4:20pm   
Bobbie S
Sorry 3 and 5
February 4, 2013 at 4:20pm   
PRO
Sherri Fitzgerald
Yes the color is noted in the tag for the photo. Actually it would look beautiful on that wall. Satchel-AF-240 by benjamin moore Again chek first with a paint in store decorator to make sure it is right for your room bring in a red couch cushion and one of the cushions like your chair so they can match it for you
February 4, 2013 at 4:25pm   
Bobbie S
How do you think this would look?

48 inches tall- 12 inches wide each piece.
February 4, 2013 at 4:31pm   
PRO
Sherri Fitzgerald
They look very nice but are they more toward the greys? Not sure if I am picking up the right color on my screen.
February 4, 2013 at 4:38pm   
Bobbie S
No, it says brown. But if I do the paint darker I think I need more of a pop.
February 4, 2013 at 4:41pm   
PRO
Sherri Fitzgerald
February 4, 2013 at 4:46pm   
Bobbie S
Not sure I'm in to the decal thing.. Does it really look good?

I love etsy
February 4, 2013 at 4:52pm   
PRO
Sherri Fitzgerald
If you find the right thing it can look amazing. But its finding the right thing .......
February 4, 2013 at 4:55pm   
Bobbie S
?
February 4, 2013 at 5:01pm   
Bobbie S
Another
February 4, 2013 at 5:02pm   
PRO
Sherri Fitzgerald
Love the iron workwith the beige walls the best. The last ones are too modern for the room you have. Dont get me wrong... you are up to date in your style .....
February 4, 2013 at 5:20pm     
Bobbie S
I like that best also.
February 4, 2013 at 5:22pm   
maggiemae0552
Jeffrey, why no grommets?
February 4, 2013 at 5:30pm     
Bobbie S
I have been loving this for a while..

40"
February 4, 2013 at 5:32pm     
PRO
Sherri Fitzgerald
Very nice as well
February 4, 2013 at 5:36pm   
Bobbie S
Hi Sherri!

Do you like this?
February 5, 2013 at 11:54am   
shacar
New member and so loving this, because I have the same situation and is sooo in need of help. Bobbie I do like how you arrange the furniture and you have received good ideas, wish I could help in your choice, but as I said before I'm clueless on mine, lbs. Good Luck and can't wait to see your end results : )
February 5, 2013 at 1:12pm     
Bobbie S
Thanks! I love this site. So much fun. I give many props to the pros and their willingness to help us!

Post your dilemma .
February 5, 2013 at 1:15pm     
PRO
Sherri Fitzgerald
Although that is a nice piece ...its time to add a different color wood to your room. When combining wood colors you try to pick complimenting colors and stick with two or maybe a third one as an accent. So you already have a lot of honey color in the floor so how about now adding a deep brown for end tables.
February 5, 2013 at 1:34pm     
Bobbie S
How about this?
February 5, 2013 at 1:45pm   
PRO
Sherri Fitzgerald
Exactly !! That will give it a modern touch!
February 5, 2013 at 1:56pm     
Michelle Dalton
I would run one very long rod all the way across. For something inexpensive use muslin. Place your rod
as close to the ceiling as possible. Look at Candice Olson's ideas.
February 5, 2013 at 1:59pm   
Bobbie S
Got those Sherri!
February 5, 2013 at 2:50pm   
PRO
Sherri Fitzgerald
Good for you...post pictures as it comes together.
February 5, 2013 at 2:52pm     
Bobbie S
I will!! So exciting
February 5, 2013 at 2:58pm   
Bobbie S
Got the drapes.. I like

The photo shows more reddish but it's actually browny bronze. What do you think?

I also ordered 1 1/4 inch wood rid which is black and burgundy?
February 6, 2013 at 6:04pm   
PRO
Sherri Fitzgerald
The photo probably throws it off... they dont seem like the right color but you would be able to tell.... if they are browny bronze they should look good...but be sure before you hang them. What does your husband think?
February 6, 2013 at 6:10pm   
Bobbie S
He doesn't want curtains lol..

You think stripes are the right thing?
February 6, 2013 at 6:13pm   
Bobbie S
These are the rods.
February 6, 2013 at 6:14pm     
Bobbie S
I will check them out in the sunlight. Kind of hard to tell.
February 6, 2013 at 6:15pm   
PRO
Sherri Fitzgerald
If they are the right color the stripe will look really good. They will add height and a tallness to your room.
February 6, 2013 at 6:20pm   
Bobbie S
Ok cool. That's why your the pro!

Different patterns can be crazy.
February 6, 2013 at 6:26pm   
PRO
Sherri Fitzgerald
Check them in the sunlight. Don't be too disappointed if they are not right. Decorating is a process and it is better to get it right than rush in and have to live with something that doesnt quite match. love the rod though.
February 6, 2013 at 6:27pm     
Bobbie S
Will do! To be continued...
February 6, 2013 at 6:37pm   
Jayant Ashutosh
go for colorfull blinds with top shear , will look good
February 6, 2013 at 6:50pm   
Bobbie S
Sherri if these are not right what do you think about these?
February 7, 2013 at 4:27am   
Bobbie S
Here are the pics in daylight.. Tell me what you think.
February 7, 2013 at 4:48am   
Bobbie S
Second pic is what it looked like in the room at night. The first is daylight.
February 7, 2013 at 4:49am   
thegriers
My two cents worth.. think those drapes would be a big mistake. You need something more on the tan side, more like the color in your chair design. I like the second picture you posted better of the beige curtains better but like I said they need to coordinate with the shade that is in your furniture.
February 7, 2013 at 5:18am   
Bobbie S
I think I'm not feeling this one.. I think you're right.
February 7, 2013 at 5:43am   
amberwpeters
I think I would also go with more of a cotton texture if you are going for the more casual look. These look formal to me.
February 7, 2013 at 6:00am   
Bobbie S
Returned them! Don't like.
February 7, 2013 at 6:26am     
PRO
Sherri Fitzgerald
Here is a hint for when I shop for a client....I go to a paint store with a decorative cushion from their couch..... I pick out a paint chip for every color....... In your case red, gold,beige, brown, and a few other colors that would match your furniture or flooring and wall paint color. I cut the colors from the paint swach and lay them out like a hand of cards and staple them. You now have a little color fan with every color in your living room! Keep it in your wallet when you shop...... I know its not the same when you buy thing onlin ebut it sure helps when shopping for items for the room like artwork. vases, and accessories. Even picking furniture or a paint color for yourself. You can hold it next to that Satchel color paint and see if it matches etc....
Now about the curtains ....Its hard to see the true colors online.... do you have a store nearby that sells curtains that you could do this color fan with? Or are you like me in the middle of nowhere and have to order everything!!!!
February 7, 2013 at 6:40am   
Bobbie S
Good ideas. The only place really that has a lot of drapes is jcpenny.

I am going to go back and see. Do you think even a solid would look good? I know not as interesting! Lol
February 7, 2013 at 6:44am   
PRO
Sherri Fitzgerald
Bobbie I posted a curtain for you a few days ago that I think would look soooo good if it is the right color. It now says 7 days ago under the pictures. It was three drapes from JC Penny. The first one was a rusty color with large circles. The website called it Rootbeer. I think it would be Very nice in the room. See if they have it or a sample of the material. Another trick of mine is to buy three or four different panels and bring them back to the room to see what looks best. (Before you do make sure that they have or can order six panels of them) Return the ones that don't look good and buy the amount you need of the ones you like.
February 7, 2013 at 6:59am     
PRO
Sherri Fitzgerald
A solid might be nice . Try a red or brown or gold from the cushions
February 7, 2013 at 7:02am     
Bobbie S
Look I love this! World market.

Hope they have it in store!!
February 7, 2013 at 10:28am     
Bobbie S
And this
February 7, 2013 at 10:32am     
PRO
Sherri Fitzgerald
They are both beautiful drapes. The bottom ones look like they will match the best. Did you get to check out the JC Penny store today?
February 7, 2013 at 2:00pm   
Bobbie S
No I'm at work lol.
February 7, 2013 at 2:02pm   
Bobbie S
Got the root beer! Well see
February 7, 2013 at 6:15pm   
PRO
Sherri Fitzgerald
Wow! So glad it was there! I sure hope the color is right !!
February 7, 2013 at 6:32pm     
Bobbie S
I think it's very right!!
First is in store.

Online they look really heavy, not at all. I have to say though the one with the scroll is beautiful. But the Madison rust is back ordered until April!! She did its the most popular one. # 1 seller.
Mathis was on sake too. Well see.
February 7, 2013 at 7:01pm   
Bobbie S
This was on sale too.. Autocorrect
February 7, 2013 at 7:02pm   
Bobbie S
Here some pics...
February 8, 2013 at 4:23am   
amberwpeters
I like them
February 8, 2013 at 4:37am     
PRO
Sherri Fitzgerald
Looks closer to the right colors this time abd I like the patterns together ....but you can see them first hand ....what do you think?....I think you should hang one of the rods after work today and put them up and see what you think of them then
February 8, 2013 at 4:52am   
Bobbie S
Def more me I think. The pattern is def shiny lol bit not too much. Fabric is nice also. I prob won't be able to get a rod up for about a week. But I will and hang them and see. I think it's going to look pretty good. What do you think?
February 8, 2013 at 4:57am   
Bobbie S
Daylight..
February 8, 2013 at 4:59am     
thegriers
I like the drapes but if your red couch is positioned in front of them, is that going to look right? How does that color go with your couch? The reds don't look like they match and there's not much contrast to make the couch stand out. At this point I think something more the color of your walls maybe with a touch of red would look best.
February 8, 2013 at 5:03am   
PRO
Sherri Fitzgerald
If the pics are showing the right colors I think we hit the Jackpot. When you hang them take pics of the room in the daylight so we can get the true colors... I like them
February 8, 2013 at 5:15am     
Bobbie S
I think it will look good. If not I will return. I don't want too much red on red. Here is another pic..
In daylight
February 8, 2013 at 5:42am     
PRO
Sherri Fitzgerald
I don't see any red in the daylight pictures. We' ll see when you get them up. Those last pics look promising
February 8, 2013 at 6:03am     
amberwpeters
I think it is going to look nice. I don't like too matchy, matchy. Because there is red on the couch does not mean you have to have any red in treatment.
February 8, 2013 at 6:08am     
PRO
Sherri Fitzgerald
I'm hoping they have more browns and gold than red.
February 8, 2013 at 6:30am     
Bobbie S
I think at night it looks possibly more red brown. But everything deepens at night. If this dies not work I will hold out for the other that's back ordered till April. I actually keep thinking about it. What does that say ? Lol
February 8, 2013 at 7:11am   
Bobbie S
Hi Sherri, do you like these??
February 9, 2013 at 6:16pm     
Coralee Angell
The windows in this room are great. I suggest using drapes on each side of each window that extend down to the floor in a colour similar to the throw pillows.
February 9, 2013 at 6:22pm   
PRO
Sherri Fitzgerald
They are really cool!!! So different. They should look great!
February 9, 2013 at 6:38pm     
PRO
studio | FORMA
Good looking lamps.
February 9, 2013 at 6:40pm     
Bobbie S
Can't wait to get them!!
February 9, 2013 at 7:24pm   
Bobbie S
Follow up pics soon!
Sherri for the feature wall what do you think about a green color??
February 18, 2013 at 10:55am   
PRO
Sherri Fitzgerald
A green would be very nice. A bright green apple green would probably look beautiful with the reds. Have a paint store decorator show you a few colors. They may show you duller greens that go with the pillows with the circles but I think a brighter color would look fresh and brighten the space. Benjamine Moore has a few wonderful colors(Below) but to see it in the room I would buy a sample and try it on that wall and put your couch and chair next to it to see how it looks. the houzz picture has georgian green from Bejamine Moore the picture with the red sofa came from this site. http://www.google.ca/imgres?hl=en&client=firefox-a&tbo=d&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&gbv=2&biw=1063&bih=520&tbm=isch&tbnid=u11hejIRy8wi-M:&imgrefurl=http://www.123rf.com/photo_9157921_interior-scene-of-vivid-red-couch-on-green-vibrant-wall.html&docid=1ETr6fI0yN8ERM&imgurl=http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/arquiplay77/arquiplay771103/arquiplay77110300008/9157921-interior-scene-of-vivid-red-couch-on-green-vibrant-wall.jpg&w=400&h=311&ei=66AiUd3LLsWE0QGl3YCQBw&zoom=1&ved=1t:3588,r:2,s:0,i:85&iact=rc&dur=2642&sig=107680387723194131821&page=1&tbnh=167&tbnw=219&start=0&ndsp=9&tx=55&ty=58
Granny Smith CSP-860 Paint
Limeade CSP-865 Paint
Global Living / Bluefish Home - Showroom
February 18, 2013 at 1:53pm   
Bobbie S
Like this?
February 18, 2013 at 2:10pm   
PRO
Sherri Fitzgerald
Yes..love the first one
February 18, 2013 at 2:59pm   
PRO
Sherri Fitzgerald
Hi Bobby ...just wondering if you tried any green paint....if you don't like them a rich milk chocolate Brown would be amazing...
February 21, 2013 at 9:47am     
Bobbie S
Not yet. Drapes will be up this weekend. I actually like the milk chocolate idea. Which ones do you think?
February 21, 2013 at 10:29am   
Bobbie S
I like this one.
February 21, 2013 at 10:32am   
PRO
Sherri Fitzgerald
Its nice but may be too grey ....

February 21, 2013 at 1:26pm   
PRO
February 21, 2013 at 1:33pm   
PRO
Sherri Fitzgerald
This link is a kids room but it shows how nice the red and chocolate truffle are together
http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-ca/for-your-home/rooms-by-colour/rodeo-red-kids-bedroom
February 21, 2013 at 1:37pm     
Bobbie S
Yes!! I love that. That's it!!
February 21, 2013 at 1:55pm   
Bobbie S
With some nice colorful artwork...
February 21, 2013 at 1:55pm   
PRO
Sherri Fitzgerald
That would top it off!!!!
February 21, 2013 at 2:04pm     
Bobbie S
Got my lamps and tables.
February 21, 2013 at 5:34pm   
PRO
Sherri Fitzgerald
Wow...very nice!
February 21, 2013 at 6:13pm   
Bobbie S
Sherri,

Hubby said lamps are not bright enough!!
Will it get brighter if I put a lighter shade on it? I really want to keep them. It says max 60 watt ( didn't check) but I put in the CFL. 23 watt 1600 lumen bulb. Not sure what to do. Thanks!
February 22, 2013 at 6:55am   
thegriers
I've had the same problem before. Lighter lampshades can help a lot plus another thing to try is to make them a little taller by putting a couple of good sized books,etc.. under each lamp. A little tricky since you'd need to make sure they're pretty much the same height on both sides. Also, on the light bulbs make sure they are the bright light bulbs and not the soft white color. I had a discussion with someone at a Lowes store about the new bulbs and there's a lot of difference in the different kinds. Another idea is if you're keeping your couch between the windows you mighy could find a wall light to mount between them to put more light in the middle. Hope that helps some. I really like those lamps too.
February 22, 2013 at 9:13am     
PRO
Acquired Taste: Interior Design and Home Staging
Okay, you're getting some good advice. In my design career I have seen every mistake under the sun for window treatment. First, the blinds were a very good choice; particularly in that they are set into the window and don't intrude visually. Here are a few thoughts, building on the dynamic of intrusion. I, too, love grommet tops. It is a softer and more casual look, the hardware is more flexible, and often they are washable. The downside to the grommet style (it varies a bit on fabric) is that they require more space to get them off the window than a pleated drape would. You have three vertical windows in a smaller scaled space, so basically, you may be devoting most of your space to the drapes to allow for light to get in. Remember, the blinds do block some light even when open. While it isn't the answer you were hoping for, you might consider some kind of cornice. The cost will be significantly less (they can even be a DYI - lots of instructions online) because they require less fabric. And, you will get the full effect of the stripe (good choice for vertical windows). I have had clients not realize that when they open their drapes much of the effect of the pattern can be lost. In my own design I use a lot of blinds that can disappear and make my focal points pop with art accents and color. In the end, if you sell, you won't be leaving behind a fortune. Hope this helps you think it through. Pretty room!
February 22, 2013 at 9:28am     
PRO
Sherri Fitzgerald
Yes replacing the shades would help but first I would try a new bulb. You now can get LED bulbs that fit standard sockets and shine a lot brighter than a standard bulb...of course they are more expensive.... but in this case before you spend more money on shades try a better bulb. If you are still not satisfied get a lighter shade the same size or larger...bring the shade you have now with you to compare shape and size so you are sure to pick the right ones.
February 22, 2013 at 11:30am     
PRO
Sherri Fitzgerald
Sorry Bobby I picked up your last post on my phone and didnt see that you alredy tried a brighter bulb...get a lighter shade but not white...you could try a wider shade that would let more light out ... or a shade that has thinner more transparent materials.
February 22, 2013 at 11:35am     
Bobbie S
I had a lighter shade and tried that. He said much better. I will get done lighter shades. Maybe wider. Ill check out home goods. Too bad the shards that came with ate really nice...
February 22, 2013 at 7:02pm   
PRO
Cheery Curtains
Cheery Curtains offer a wide range of quality curtains at affordable prices. Here are some you may like. Mouse over the image for a better view.

For more curtain designs, welcome to my Houzz page or our website!

Nophie
Cheery Curtains
Email: sales@cheerycurtains.com
February 23, 2013 at 12:17am   
tgb87
I think there is a lot of brown going on.
Maybe you can mix it up with green or yellow drapes
February 23, 2013 at 2:15am     
Bobbie S
Ok...got rods up 95 inch is way too short. Went to
The crown moulding. The drapes with circles on it... HATED IT lol. Sherri your right, the only way to know is to hang them. Second pic is another panel 108 inch which I like. That is not for that area. That is for sitting area in dining area.

But I think I might go with something like this and double up with a cream and a color called ultra bronze. I will put the lighter color on the inside of window. Third pic is where the the I hung actually goes.
February 24, 2013 at 1:56pm   
Bobbie S
This is what I'm thinking...
February 24, 2013 at 2:11pm   
Bobbie S
Or this color...
February 24, 2013 at 2:13pm     
PRO
Sherri Fitzgerald
Lol....Like I said picking colors over the internet is not an easy project....You really have to be in the room to see it. Both of those pictures look really nice with the cream on the inside. The drapes that are 108 are the best lenth so far. I like the bottom pic in your last post best for color... but again I'm looking at a computer screen and you are in the room. By the pic of the 108 lenth though I can see drapes will be very nice on the windows.
February 24, 2013 at 2:20pm     
Bobbie S
When I get them I will post the pics!! Thank you for all the help.
February 24, 2013 at 2:40pm   
PRO
Sherri Fitzgerald
Ok...I will look forward to seeing them...glad I could help!!!
February 24, 2013 at 3:07pm   
Bobbie S
Been looking at Etsy for art.
Thoughts on these.
February 25, 2013 at 5:36am   
Bobbie S
More
February 25, 2013 at 5:37am   
Bobbie S
2 more
February 25, 2013 at 5:37am     
PRO
studio | FORMA
Top right with multi-colored circles is my vote!!
February 25, 2013 at 7:08am     
Bobbie S
I think I like that also. Added green and yellows. That wall I will do Bm chocolate truffle.
February 25, 2013 at 7:15am   
Bobbie S
It's 36X24 is that big enough?
February 25, 2013 at 7:45am   
PRO
studio | FORMA
Oh I thought it was a lot bigger by the scaling of the photo shown with the sofa. I still think its a great image. It keeps in line with your "Circles" them while adding some symbolism and nature. I noticed that all the images chose where of a tree. Any particular reason?? Lovely choice BTW.
February 25, 2013 at 8:06am   
Bobbie S
No real reason really. I seem to be drawn to them lol. It's nature. This particular artist seemed to gave a lot of trees. Do you think I need something bigger? Will this stand alone?
February 25, 2013 at 8:46am   
PRO
BTX Window Automation
Would you consider motorized drapery or shades?
February 25, 2013 at 8:52am   
PRO
Sherri Fitzgerald
They are all very nice art!!!! I love the 2 with the cream flowers! But it's really a matter of your taste and the size of the pics...get the largest one because your wall is quite big.
February 25, 2013 at 9:06am     
Bobbie S
These are bigger..
February 25, 2013 at 10:36am   
Bobbie S
1 more
February 25, 2013 at 10:38am     
PRO
Sherri Fitzgerald
The one thats floral gold orange modern looks like it would tie in nice...but I think you would need two that would go up vertical side by side ..one hung and then put the other upside down so they look like a set but not identical...I love the blue colors too but I would try a blue cushion first to see if it looks ok or too off with the rest of the colors
February 25, 2013 at 10:51am   
Bobbie S
I like this 39x40 they will do custom colors for me. I can get 2. Only $165 that's crazy!!

What colors would I do?
February 25, 2013 at 1:03pm   
Bobbie S
Big texture..
February 25, 2013 at 1:04pm   
PRO
Sherri Fitzgerald
Wow nice find!! I would ask for sunset colors....red in the center where the white is and then orange and gold...
February 25, 2013 at 1:26pm   
Bobbie S
I asked her to incorporate a dark rusty color. And possibly a green. But I want the creamy colors to dominate. lets see what she says.
February 25, 2013 at 3:33pm   
PRO
Sherri Fitzgerald
Sounds pretty. Did you show her the pictures of your room?
February 25, 2013 at 4:21pm   
thegriers
I think those are great colors you picked and in another room I'd say that's wonderful. I know you want to play down the red in the room but in a large piece of artwork in this room you can't just ignore the fact that you have a red sofa and ottoman which are major pieces in the room. You need to tie in that color somewhere or it's just not going to coordinate and pull the room together. I hate to come across as negative. I think the room is coming together well.
February 25, 2013 at 4:34pm     
PRO
Sherri Fitzgerald
I Agree with thegriers. You want your wall art to help tie the room together. So if you are using rust and green you will have to find a way to tie it in the rest of the room. I think your red sofa is the highlight of your room and some red in the picture will bring in the wow factor by enhancing the style of the sofa.
February 25, 2013 at 4:48pm     
Bobbie S
Ok. I will nix the green. I agree, I don't want it to be too dark. I sent her a pic of my room and she asked if I wanted the red burgundy lol. The chair has a dark rust in it. So maybe ill have make it look more reddish? I'm going to paint the wall Bm chocolate truffle so I want the creamy colors to dominate so it pops. Does that sound right?

So I will tell her add a reddish close to sofa color and maybe a lighter gold with the cream?

Yes??
February 25, 2013 at 4:56pm   
Bobbie S
The price was for each..
February 25, 2013 at 4:57pm   
PRO
Sherri Fitzgerald
Yes that sounds better. I think you will love the chocolate truffle!! Red, Gold and cream will be nice together in the room. Btw are the other walls staying the same color they are now? Just wondering....they are a nice color...I just wasnt sure if you were changing them
February 25, 2013 at 5:04pm   
Bobbie S
Oh no! The walls are builders paint lol!

I need a nice not too yellow creamy color. Any ideas?
February 25, 2013 at 6:33pm   
PRO
Sherri Fitzgerald
I usually deal with Benjamine Moore because I have all their paint samples and can see the colors in front of me. Putting some creams next to chocolate truffle these are my favorites ... but again get the samples and look at them in your room. http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/opaline#ce_s=oc-33 http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/oc-6#ce_s=oc-6 http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/oc-6#ce_s=oc-6 http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/gentlecream#ce_s=oc-96
February 26, 2013 at 10:09am   
Bobbie S
Thanks!

Do you think that's the way to go?
February 26, 2013 at 10:31am   
PRO
Sherri Fitzgerald
I think a cream will keep it light with the Brown as a feature wall...if I were you I would paint the brown wall first...it may look good with the paint you have....if not go ahead and paint the rest.
February 26, 2013 at 11:15am   
Bobbie S
I won't leave it the same lol..
February 26, 2013 at 11:34am   
PRO
Sherri Fitzgerald
LOL...that's funny..so either take samples of all your stuff with you to the paint store or bring the paint color swatches home...make sure you are getting the right one.be sure to have the chocolate truffle paint swatch with you too.
February 26, 2013 at 12:28pm   
Bobbie S
Here's my vase...
February 26, 2013 at 1:51pm     
Aja Mazin
240 comments?
February 26, 2013 at 1:54pm   
Bobbie S
Yes, this is ongoing lol..
February 26, 2013 at 1:57pm   
PRO
Sherri Fitzgerald
Much nicer!!! Do you like it?
February 26, 2013 at 1:58pm     
Aja Mazin
Sherri Fitzgerald is very helpful!
February 26, 2013 at 1:59pm     
Aja Mazin
And patient!
February 26, 2013 at 2:01pm     
Bobbie S
Yes I like it much better.

And yes, Sherri is all of those things and I appreciate it.
February 26, 2013 at 2:25pm     
PRO
Bobbie: Sorry, somehow I missed your last inquirey but it looks like you have plenty of support for a successful room. I'd like to see your results or, the progress you've made. Best, Jeff
February 26, 2013 at 4:12pm     
Bobbie S
I can't wait to show you guys when it's done. My curtains should be here this week and the rods are up and ready. Soon I will have it ready!

Thanks for the help. I understand why you do what you do and get paid for it!! I can imagine the challenge of different personalities and styles must be difficult. I'm a hairdresser so I understand! But really appreciate everything and everyone who has helped me!
February 26, 2013 at 4:23pm     
PRO
Sherri Fitzgerald
Thanks. I've enjoyed being part of this discussion. I wish I could help more people with Houzz. There are so many people with an idea they like or a dilemma they are stuck on.....but no idea how to make it happen in their room...it isn't easy guiding them over the internet...but it can be done...I think most people on Houzz who take on a project see the importance of a professional decorator but many feel they can't afford one...when really a few hours with someone who knows what they are doing can save them a lot of money in mistakes trying to do it on their own. Like I said I have had fun with this one and can't wait to see the end results!!
February 26, 2013 at 6:59pm     
Bobbie S
Here are the drapes!

I love them. It makes a huge difference in the room. I will try and get a better pic.
March 4, 2013 at 4:38am   
PRO
Sherri Fitzgerald
Wow ..what a big difference!! You must be soooo happy to finally have them! It was worth the wait.
March 4, 2013 at 6:19am     
Bobbie S
Yes it was! Ill try an get a better pic up.
March 4, 2013 at 7:08am   
Bobbie S
Color
March 4, 2013 at 7:14am   
PRO
Sherri Fitzgerald
Looks very nice. Good color choice.
March 4, 2013 at 7:32am     
PRO
studio | FORMA
Good Job! it looks beautiful
March 4, 2013 at 7:33am     
PRO
Sherri Fitzgerald
Any new updates with your room?
March 22, 2013 at 3:55pm   
Bobbie S
Not yet. Waiting on artwork. Here are some pics she sent. The one photo shopped in is without the red tone. Then after she added as an accent.
My chair is not on that position.
March 22, 2013 at 5:23pm   
Bobbie S
More..
March 22, 2013 at 5:23pm   
Bobbie S
I really like them. What do you think? She's finishing this week.
March 22, 2013 at 5:24pm   
PRO
Sherri Fitzgerald
They are very nice. Once the wall is painted they will look amazing!
March 22, 2013 at 6:20pm     
PRO
Sherri Fitzgerald
Bobby I have been looking back over this discussion and seeing the progress of your room. It is coming along nicely. I still like the Satchel color best for your accent wall where these pictures will go. But whatever color you choose I still would advise you to either purchase the large paint swatch or a paint sample to view it on the wall first. It may seem dark when you do it but that depth of color in the satchel will pull your room together and make all your peices look warm and rich. One more piece of advice...if you eventually get more accent cushions or any other artwork this time stay away from circles and swirls. What you have now along with your new art creates a nice theme throughout the room as it is.... but any more would be too much. Another pattern that would complement your room would be a stripe in an accent pillow or even solids in a variety of colors already in the room. I wasn,t sure how much further you will go with getting stuff for the room but I thought I should tell you to keep that in mind. I also would advise you to paint the wall before you hang the art and post the pictures. Its all a process ....but I'm anxious to see it all together!!!
March 23, 2013 at 7:35am     
brody1313
Like the curtains and placement very much.....I do have to say I prefer the sofa floating in the first picture you posted as I think it now interfers with your window wall which is a focal point in your room...good luck
March 23, 2013 at 8:03am     
PRO
Sherri Fitzgerald
Here are the paint ideas... not exact colors but you can see the effect
March 23, 2013 at 8:38am   
Bobbie S
I was going to do chocolate truffle. Not satchel. Thanks for the other advice!!

Weird how I go
To circles. Lol
March 23, 2013 at 8:41am   
PRO
Sherri Fitzgerald
I would get the swatches for both the Truffl and satchel and see which looks best in the room. They are both nice colors.
March 23, 2013 at 8:43am     
Bobbie S
Very cool!! Thanks!!
What are these colors?
March 23, 2013 at 10:04am   
PRO
Sherri Fitzgerald
I was trying to get colors simular to the ones I suggested above like limeade or satchel. I think the satchel has less orange than the color above. Thats why I think it will be nice and the limade would be brighter. If it was my house I would do the satchel or Truffle in the living area and the limeade in the dining room.
March 23, 2013 at 11:52am   
Bobbie S
Is satchel lighter? I looked it up I like it.
March 23, 2013 at 12:46pm   
PRO
Sherri Fitzgerald
Yes it's more of a camel brown that will compliment the golds and reds but not too dark. There is another Benjamin Moore paint called "penny" 2163-30 that would have a simular effect. You should check them all out. I think you'll know as soon as you bring the samples in your room . Another bright green I love from Benjamin Moore is " dill pickle" 2147-40. I've used it in a lot of kitchen and dining areas because it is so cheerful.
March 23, 2013 at 1:05pm   
PRO
Total Wallcovering
Seems like you are going to the Tuscan look
March 23, 2013 at 1:14pm     
Bobbie S
I do like Tuscan..:)
March 23, 2013 at 1:26pm   
PRO
Sherri Fitzgerald
Hi Bobby! How are things progressing with the living and dining room?
May 9, 2013 at 4:37am   
Bobbie S
Hi!!

No paint yet. June 14 the builder is coming to do some minor repairs ( nail pops etc) so we are waiting. I will keep you posted!! Thanks
May 13, 2013 at 5:33pm   
Genevieve
I chose these

[houzz=
]
May 13, 2013 at 5:39pm   
spencerbetz
I found this gorgeous fabric but may be a bit to burgundy for your sofa... It's silk and the green strip would really make any plants in the room pop... There are many on Etsy that make custom drapes from your fabric! Here is a great place for fabric: http://www.fabricwarehousedirect.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_id=3078&zenid=043sa5935lh8iaj4k4t5t8iho4
August 19, 2013 at 5:30am   
mdjo12345
Also move the couch off of the rug the rug is to small to house a couch on it and then by a coffee table to put on the rug.
August 19, 2013 at 5:37am   
PRO
How are doing with your window treatments? I noticed this posting again and thought to check in with some other thoughts. It's pretty clear from your photograph that the window wall needs finishing. There are lots of creative ways you might handle this besides straight panels in pretty fabric. I've done this one and it has been a hit each time. Have three low screens made and cover then in a fabric or wallpaper you like. Then place each one in front of each window. Your screens would be high enough to hide the bottom of the window sills, say 30" tall. Each screen would have three sections hinged together maybe 18" wide.
They can be trimmed with nail heads or a woven band. Don't use a busy pattern but something that adds interest like a horizontal stripe or a diamond pattern.
At the tops of the windows install small curtain rod-brackets. For a casual look, bundle some bamboo cut to about 3" wider than each window. Tie these together with natural hemp twine and loop around the drapery brackets.
Another topper could be a cornice, padded and edged with banding. The bamboo idea works with anything similar. Driftwood, musical instruments etc.
August 21, 2013 at 12:00pm   
More Discussions
I would like to ask you for an opinion of my paintings
It would be a great honour to invite you to my art....
Ugly ass wood stove
I can't replace it, husband says no because it works...
Paint/lacquer match for Ikea high gloss grey.
I need to see if someone has matched the high gloss...
Kitchen remodel
We are remodeling an 80's kitchen & need some ideas:...
Urgent Painter Help...
Hello Everyone, My wife and I have hired a painter,...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.