powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Thanks for the mantle ideas. This is what I came up with.
C.W.Pottery
January 29, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I got out the spray paint. The purple wreath was painted "Paprika", the pine cones, silver ,white and paprika. The toy dinosauers and shells are silver. Tell me what you think.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
tennisanyone
Is this for the Christmas season or year round?
January 29, 2013 at 2:22PM     
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
It would be fine for an occasion but not all year.
January 29, 2013 at 2:25PM     
sashik
Wow. I love it. It looks simple but classy. Such a great color combination, the red and blue.
I understand you are referring to a previous discussion which I havent followed, but without knowing the before look, I can tell you this looks great!
January 29, 2013 at 2:33PM     
PRO
C.W.Pottery
This is an after xmas, before spring mantle. I am still searching for the perfect all season look. I have a large model sailboat that goes up in summer.and a John Ruthman (20th century Audubon) print that gets moved there occasionally, I just wanted something different.
January 29, 2013 at 4:52PM     
PRO
Wallmark Homes
Great looking mantel, have you considered a mirror with a fancy frame?
January 29, 2013 at 4:56PM   
Jayme H.
I am feeling as if the wreath is too small, although I like it...a larger one would have more impact.
January 29, 2013 at 5:19PM     
Jayme H.
Example
January 29, 2013 at 5:29PM     
bonnielynn75
The wreath is far too small, if you want to keep it in the space, can you mount it on a mirror?
January 30, 2013 at 4:10AM     
michigammemom
I'm not sure I get the combination of toy dinosaurs and sea shells.
January 30, 2013 at 4:13AM     
charleee
It's a bit too symetrical for me, I like to mix things up.
January 30, 2013 at 4:43AM     
PRO
C.W.Pottery
I agree. What should I do? Put glass on one side ? Somethings incomplete.
January 30, 2013 at 6:35AM   
Jayme H.
I know my pic could be better, but notice the scale of the objects...I think u have too many small things that do not vary enough. A few larger things with some variation, like the pic seems to look better.
January 30, 2013 at 6:39AM     
hormonal
You really do need a large mirror or painting. Also, how about stacking up some big books on one side and then placing your things on the books for a different height. There is no interest there with it being so evenly spaced.
January 30, 2013 at 6:40AM     
Jayme H.
Example
January 30, 2013 at 6:50AM     
Jayme H.
Example of scale
January 30, 2013 at 6:54AM     
0825sam
Check out the first and third photos in this ideabook. I agree that the wreath is too small for the space.

January 30, 2013 at 7:06AM     
mpfam7
I'm not sure of previous discussion either but I love the blue/red contrast.
January 30, 2013 at 7:24AM   
PRO
C.W.Pottery
The consenses is the wreath is too small. I may add white branches to the perimiter to make it larger. I like the paprika color too. It brings out the brick and goes with my plaid chairs, Until then, up goes the Ruthman. and a swich to white and bird theme.
January 30, 2013 at 7:40AM   
PRO
Danniels-French Design
Hi, I agree - all of the items are too symmetrical. It starts low on the left, works up to the single tall candle, drops down, then wreath (yes, too small), then follows the same pattern on the right side. I always think grouping like things looks better - and having things not so "matchy match" - it's boring. Try putting the matched candles together on one side with some items and I would eliminate one of the dishes. Then just try different combinations of the jars and maybe fill some with something other than cones. Maybe even have a few cones just sitting on the mantle. Mix it up and have fun!
January 30, 2013 at 8:29AM     
Janice Waard
Not liking the blue, a little too harsh! Accessories too small and too many - fewer but more substantial!
January 30, 2013 at 5:06PM     
alefantee
LOVE IT
January 30, 2013 at 5:59PM   
Cassidy Wilton
I love it!
January 30, 2013 at 6:57PM   
PRO
Alix Flamm Designs
I agree with the people on the accessorizing. It's to much of the same thing. You need different items like some chunky candle sticks, and vary sizes in vases. Think odd numbers like 5 or 7.
January 30, 2013 at 9:09PM     
PRO
Gina Fitzsimmons ASID
Too itty bitty. Add more height ! I love the idea of hanging the wreath on a mirror! Think big like that.
February 3, 2013 at 5:14AM   
hormonal
Jamie hobbs, I really like your thoughts and ideas. I wish you lived in Atlanta and I would hire you.
February 3, 2013 at 5:17AM   
Jayme H.
Wow, thanks for the compliments..I am a registered nurse...any good jobs down there? lol
February 3, 2013 at 5:27AM     
judygilpin
You've made the mistake too many people make. Too many small accessories. This looks cluttered and messy. Make a statment with fewer and bolder peices. Everything on and above your mantel is way too small. Also, I don't get the too bright blue & paprika color scheme. Tone down the colors and get bold with you accessories, but remember the rule of "odds".
February 3, 2013 at 12:15PM     
aniluap2
You've done a terrific job smo far. Your choice of color is daring and imaginative and reflects your personality. I agree with those above that suggest that the proportion is a little off and it is to symmetrical but you are definitely on the right track and it looks 100% better! You have all the right instincts and take risks most others wouldn't but the color works and is striking.
February 4, 2013 at 8:53AM   
Jayme H.
I also like the contrast of color...the scale of things is what the problem is, to me...the right idea is there, and some tweaking is needed.
February 4, 2013 at 9:07AM   
Genevieve
Nice for an occasion as posted earlier ,but still too many , a count of 3 for the mantle would be more like it
February 4, 2013 at 9:22AM   
DiAnna Sara
You have a beautiful mantel with great outline of brick. I would recommend a larger wreath (something with more color and depth), or a mirror. I would also recommend taller candle displays with colorful candles. Add some height on one side, than smaller scale on the other...
February 5, 2013 at 7:28AM   
More Discussions
weather new wood
How do you get that grey weathered look on new wood?...
Ranch home
Hi there! We are in the process of purchasing this...
Need help choosing a backsplash
Attached is a photo of my kitchen. There currently...
Kitchen Cabinets: Take them up to the ceiling, or not?
If you were getting new cabinets, would it be worth...
Your Opinion Needed
What do you think about the wine storage? http://www.houzz.com/photos/12421315/Wood-Mode-Looks-traditional-wine-cellar-houston...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.