Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need some ideas for a sunroom
solarsam
January 29, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hi - This sunroom (don't mind the messy deck behind it) has become nothing more than a catch-all and is only functional for passing through. I'd like to make it a place where we can sit comfortably. It has 3 walls: 1 - 28" deep, another 26" deep and the corner is 23" deep. Obviously, far too many desks, tables and horizontal surfaces that I'd like to see all go. I'm not in love with any of them. Also, an area rug suggestion would be most appreciated. The walls were done by a Faux painter and feature frogs with lily pads. That can go too. Thank you in advance! Can't fit all 5 photos so will attach the 5th next post.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
solarsam
and, the 5th image.
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 2:43PM
Manon Floreat
I'm having a hard time orienting myself in the space. But I'm thinking maybe a small divan or sofa and arm chair may be nice for you. Similar to the photo below. What sorts of styles do you like? That will help us in making recommendations.
3 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 3:02PM
solarsam
The computer desk is on one wall. The table and wall bookcase against the other. And the 3rd small corner has the table with the plants on it. The home is Mediterrean style tho this room currently doesn't reflect that. I do like the idea of a sofa and chair but wasn't sure if there is enough depth of wall, other than where the table/bookcase is.
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 3:09PM
PRO
Grace Archives
Gallery walls are a classic, yet modern look. Mingle vintage art and old architectural details, with family photos for a one of a kind display.

www.GraceArchives.etsy.com
1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 3:11PM
PRO
LB Interiors
If you are keeping your current design style?

Hutch area - move round table, catycornered / center of hutch. Place 2 - 4 chairs
White, cream, or blue chairs would work with your table

or choose a modern chair design style with your table
1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 3:19PM
memegee
What about an indoor/outdoor gel fireplace (or any fireplace really)? I figure with the large doors accessible to the outside you may get more year-round use out of it. What would make you want to be in that room and to do _____?
1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 3:29PM
PRO
LB Interiors
Can you post some pics of the entire room to see the four walls and space available?
1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 3:54PM
PRO
Teresa M. Morgan
I would create a sitting area for coffee or cocktails. Think like Starbucks. The floor is great for the space but a natural fiber rug would. Soften it up. If the walls don't have sentimental value, definitely paint over.
2 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 4:03PM
groveraxle
First question, solarsam, do you have a plan for how you'd like to deal with the 11 barstools soon to inhabit this room? LOL

OK, enough fun. You've listed your three walls each at just over two feet long. That can't be right. Can you draw and upload a floor plan with dimensions listed and doors indicated?

You've already got a lovely view of the patio. This could be a wonderful room.
5 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 4:10PM
solarsam
Haha Groveraxle! I'm fully expecting those 11 chairs to find their way to this sunroom on their long exit out the door. Good observation! lol
Actually, the walls are just over 2 feet DEEP. Walls are LONGer where the desk and the table/hutch are.
Wish I had the original plans on computer - that would make it easier.
I'll try and get a better shot of the whole thing tomorrow, taken from the courtyard.

LB- no, do not want the current style with table and chairs (I've got 8 chairs&leaf from that table stored in the garage waiting for the table to join them) because we've got lots of coffee seating in the next room. Was thinking on changing all to a soft reading/laptop spot - quiet. However, I have 4 Xtra large dogs that would like some floor space, if not the sofa space - for most of the use. Boy, that cuts it down in style, eh! (Thinking good quality Duck Fabric covers) Much more function than form but would like cozy and nicely elegant. I haven't seem to find a small enough sofa/loveseat anywhere that would work.

Memegee - The room is only functional for indoor/outdoor about 7 mos of the year...and we do add an outdoor fireplace then.

btw - I feel very strange getting all this great advice for free. I hope you all have websites!
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 4:29PM
groveraxle
A little inspiration. I would paint the walls a soft buttery yellow. Then, depending on budget, I'd go for furniture like that in the first or second pic or, to be more frugal, look for equipaje (that Mexican pigskin furniture that just goes with saltillo floors) or wicker (with big fluffy cushions). You've already got one wicker chair to start.

You can probably repurpose some of your tables. The round one might serve between two chairs to hold a lamp and some reading material. If you keep the corner cabinet, I would paint it to match the table.

The part that will really punch it up--the reason for pic #3--is that saltillo looks great with blue. Not a cloudy, wimpy blue, but a bold cobalt or royal blue like the pots on your patio. Bring it in in your pillows, have touches of it in a rug and other accessories.
Bethesda Photoshoot
Front Room
Latin Patios
Wicker - Chairs , Tables , Sofas , Rocking Chairs
Coqo Floral Rug, Navy
Ironwork Trellis Dhurrie Rug, Cobalt Blue and Ivory
Handpainted Ceramic Grand Tile Collection
1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 4:44PM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
Love the look that Manon Floreat posted. I would keep those great blue planters and pull that color inside.
1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 4:48PM
groveraxle
I assume by depth of walls you mean the space between the wall and the glass doors?

Depending on the size of the room, I would try to float the furniture away from the walls anyway, leaving the area in front of the patio doors clear, both for egress and for the view.

Would also like to see your photos in a grouping on the wall and mostly clear the shelves on the corner cabinet. Replace them with a couple of funky bowls, maybe a rustic candlestick.

And if you have four big dogs who share your furniture, you are a woman after my own heart!
1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 4:56PM
solarsam
Thank you! Wonderful suggestions. We do have deep blue tile and almost the exact tile of your last photo, in the kitchen. It does go nice with the red floor. Mexican pigskin sounds marvelous with the fluffy pillows - comfy. Just not sure what that design looks like.
Hadn't thought about putting anything in front of the 2 sliding doors because it's more of a walk way both doors.
Was going to toss that wicker chair because I've got better ones I could use much like the photo you posted. It seems to take up a lot of room but it does Rock...
2 more shots - hope they're not too dark.
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 4:59PM
PRO
LB Interiors
If the room gets a lot of sun or light exosure, with all those windows, it might get hot. Groveraxle, I do like the yellow, but small doses if room has sun exposure, otherwise yellow walls are great too.

I think a Navy, teal, teal/blue or a cool green with white for what wall space that there may be.
Navy and white with coral accents? Navy and white with red accents.

Windows - Drapes - white with touches of coral and green, white with teal and coral, or coral and navy,or shades - maybe bamboo rollup blinds..Sounds confusing. Just pick a combo of 2-3 colors that you prefer.

2 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 5:04PM
solarsam
groveraxle - by depth of wall I meant if you did have a couch against, say, the area where the round table is, it's only 23" deep but maybe it wouldn't matter if the sofa stuck out?
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 5:10PM
PRO
LB Interiors
Lounge area - How about a lounge chair and an arm chair in the corner where the wicker chair is? with a table btween. Bring a plant from patio
or ...
Small settee (2 person) with a back. Place on the hutch wall, coffee table or 2 small stools for coffee. A wall mount reading lamp, or mini chandelier above the space.

Desk area - is a great niche where it is now, if you need the desk in this room.
1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 5:14PM
solarsam
btw - I love dog people!
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 5:19PM
PRO
LB Interiors
I think I know what you mean about 23" wall. The right side of table area has a small wall that creates a niche, same as your desk area?

No, it does not matter that a small sofa or settee or chair grouping extends past that area. if you can find one that fits, place your narrow table behind it, lamp on top. This will bring the grouping farther into the room. I think you have the space.
1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 5:24PM
solarsam
Great ideas, LB. I could pull out the bookcase and put those chairs angled to the corner. Maybe a dog-proof Mexican skinned table. A Settee? Is that like a fainting-couch? Have lots of plants to pick from (can't seem to kill a thing). Yes, the room has a ton of light as the ceiling is all glass. It's an open room to the patio all summer.
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 5:25PM
PRO
LB Interiors
Settee is a small 2 seater bench type sofa.

Yes, remove the hutch and use space for seating area.
1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 5:29PM
solarsam
LB - thank you for your last post. Never thought of putting that table behind something...and bringing out the sofa(s). I wonder if it's possible with both niches, the other where the desk is too. That is also only 24" deep. But, a spot to sit and watch kitchen activity. No, do not need the desk. Maybe 2 sitting area?
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 5:31PM
PRO
LB Interiors
Use outdoor fabrics, very strong and are available in tons of patterns and colors. "Sunbrella" is a great company.
1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 5:33PM
PRO
LB Interiors
I'm going to study your photos a bit.
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 5:35PM
PRO
LB Interiors
Looks like I would use the desk side of room and take up most of the space for a small settee and 2 armed ( like a patio chair) with removeable cushions.

I would purchase an outdoor patio grouping that comes with outdoor fabric removeable cushions.
1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 5:38PM
solarsam
LB - also like your idea of some fun filmy curtains to bring in some color. That would cozy up the room. Love corals, blues reds...yeah..
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 5:41PM
PRO
LB Interiors
Bring the grouping out into the space, I think you will still be able to exit the room from the sliding door.
Keep the grouping tight. You only need 20" - 24" walkway space around the coffee table or 2 small stools (use as coffee table)
1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 5:41PM
solarsam
oh! That's a great 'double' settee...like very much. Also, the color. And, never thought to look at good-quality patio furniture for inside. There's some nice stuff out there.
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 5:43PM
PRO
LB Interiors
Put the settee in front of the windows and create your grouping. Place the long table in the niche where the desk is now. Or purchase a fabulous modern one.
1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 5:43PM
PRO
LB Interiors
You could also spray paint the long table a bright color (coral, teal, blue) whatever color combo you like.

Spray the wood long table, (can't think of the proper name for it right now) paint the wood one color and a metallic silver on the metal bins. Accesorize table with a glass, acrylic or stainless table lamp. Hang a glass or stainless finish chandelier with colored crystals. (your colors). is that too glitzy?
1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 5:53PM
solarsam
Wow - this is totally re-thinking a room that has been giving me so much thought for too long. I like that a lot, bringing the furniture into a cozier pattern on that floor and re-learning how to use the floor for egress. We can make that work. A 2 armed patio chair? Would you have a visual?
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 5:54PM
PRO
LB Interiors
Paint the table a color that is a contrast to the wall color.
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 5:55PM
PRO
LB Interiors
I'll look for something
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 5:55PM
solarsam
Colored crystals would work all day long in this room, no matter their design!
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 5:57PM
PRO
LB Interiors
Here's an idea. I'd like a brighter choice of fabrics tho.

1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 5:57PM
solarsam
So, you'd keep the round table?
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 5:57PM
solarsam
Oh, that's nice. And, would all fit a big dog perfectly too. Functional and elegant! Thank you. Now I'm thinking corals and blues..
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 5:59PM
PRO
LB Interiors
I like the light-weight of the powdercoated aluminum frames and they are so easy to move.
Montecito 1
McLean Residence
Back Porch
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 6:01PM
groveraxle
OK, let's talk dogs for a moment. There is no such thing as dog proof furniture. (As a basset hound mother, I know whereof I speak.) Wicker with washable cushions, or furniture with slipcovers would both be great. Also, if you get a lot of light, go with creamy neutrals that won't fade so much. Take a look at how comfy and casual this room looks.

1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 6:02PM
PRO
LB Interiors
The round table is dining table height. You would need a coffee table height or 2 small otttomans as a coffee table or 2 small (maybe Asian plant stools) to use as a coffee table.

Create another area for dining or munching in the area where the hutch is now.
Use that table and purchase 4 modern chairs to go with.
1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 6:10PM
solarsam
grover - those are nice comfy looking. Understand about dog-proof but outdoor cushions do seem to come pretty close. I like white just as a matter of integrity as you can do so much with pulling colors in with, say, filmy curtains, painted wood tables, etc. (so I'm learning!) I can see starting with white furniture, definitely, especially when the Duck is so easy to bleach and fit on a sofa, for dog-use. Your Bassett probably weighs close to my Danes in just ballast alone!
1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 6:11PM
PRO
LB Interiors
My vote, is still for outdoor fabrics. Check them out, many appear like a duck fabric. They are super durable.

Sorry, groveraxle, love the look but I don't think as practical for this situation. I believe duck will not stand up to the integrity of sunbrella's or most outdoor fabrics.

In this situation, you have the light, the sun and dogs to consider, including the time it takes to remove slipcovers and wash them and install again.
1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 6:17PM
solarsam
Thank you so much for all your comments. SO much to take in and absorb! I really appreciate it everybody. NOW, to show all this to my amiable husband!! lol.
1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 6:18PM
PRO
LB Interiors
Just my vision of things, I also think that the room commands light & breezy furniture, not so upholstered and bulky.
1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 6:20PM
groveraxle
I suspect your four danes could take my two bassets any day.
1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 6:21PM
PRO
LB Interiors
solarsam, filmy curtains? I like the idea of printed or solid sheers. Sheers keep the room light & airy. It gives a gossamer effect. You see them but they're almost not there. They would add just enough softness, elegance and color to the room.
1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 6:24PM
groveraxle
OK, LB, but with all due respect, I don't see anything you've posted that looks light and breezy. While I do agree that Sunbrella and outdoor furniture are both great ideas, I don't think the looks you've chosen complement the casual earthy nature of the saltillo floor very well. MHO.
1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 6:28PM
PRO
LB Interiors
If you want to cut costs, discount stores may have something you like in the patio dept. the fabrics will not be as durable as sunbrella, altho they make different grades of quality too. You probably won't have a large choice of color or outdoor fabrics. Color or pattern choices may be few.

Then you can wow the room with wall color, drapes, pillows and accessories and /or some painted furmiture.
1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 6:32PM
groveraxle
Steel. Dog proof. Breezy. Would look great with bright cushions.

2 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 6:36PM
PRO
LB Interiors
groveraxle, that's ok, that's why we're all different and have good viewpoints that are options.

The floor is neutral and will work with lots of options. It has coral/orange, terra cotta tones and the other colors are subtle and soft. The colors I chose can be mixed and matched. it all depends on the amount of the strong colors and soft shades of the strong colors ... and on what element they're used. How much color where? That's the key! If walls are white, or any of the light shades of those I suggested, you will still get the light and breezy. The brights and stronger hues of the colors can be the accents.
1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 6:40PM
PRO
LB Interiors
BTW, solarsam, the patio furniture also has chairs and glider options since you like to rock. The chairs work on a spring-action construction.
1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 6:49PM
PRO
LB Interiors
Have fun whatever your choices! Keep us posted.
1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 6:56PM
solarsam
Great discussion! I don't know what solid sheers are. I was afraid anything too heavy would get gummed up with dog breath. But the room has always bothered me without any window coverings to take advantage of bringing color in. Again, we moved into this custom-built house without a decorator, thanks to my husband. It has evolved and taken me this long to figure myself out, I guess. It's been interesting analyzing what can work, what my tastes are and what makes one happy!
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 6:56PM
solarsam
grover - GREAT hounds, btw. Now, THAT together is a lot of weight in a couple particular areas of the body. lol. Good thing our breeds like to stretch out.
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 6:58PM
solarsam
Thanks LB - you've been a huge help! Groveraxle - thank you. I have definitely come away with some great ideas, my head is full of ideas now. I appreciate your time more than you know!
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 7:00PM
PRO
LB Interiors
Solid sheers meaning a solid color sheer vs a printed pattern sheer.

Re: drapes, you might need to use valances instead for color. Drapes or panels will come to the floor and not great with having dogs. I love sheers on the windows for softness, but sheers are too delicate for rambuncious animals. In that case, you could use valances in a heavier fabric with wonderful colored patterns, or solid colors. There's hundreds of valance design choices.
1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 7:05PM
solarsam
I will check out Sunbrella website next - thanks!
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 7:06PM
solarsam
I like that idea, LB! Fabric up high and not in the way of the sliding doors.
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 7:20PM
PRO
1 Like   January 30, 2013 at 1:00AM
PRO
LB Interiors
Love these pillows for your settee or sofa.

1 Like   January 30, 2013 at 1:44AM
groveraxle
solarsam, clearly LB and I have a difference of opinion, but you are the one who lives in the room, so let me suggest an approach that may help you decide. First, determine exactly how you want the room to function. Do you want to have breakfast here, or just morning coffee? Do you want a quiet reading corner? A spot for hubby to surf the net?

Then collect pictures of the looks you like from houzz. Make an ideabook if you haven't already. When you have several photos, examine them to find the common denominators. Notice what colors and kinds of furnishings you're drawn to. Then you can start working them into a cohesive whole.

I know how difficult dogs can be. (Grover's latest trick is tossing the throw pillows across the room so he can get on the human couch even though he has his own.) But simple light washable drapes hung from clips could be a solution. Please no valance; it will date your room from the moment you hang it up.

0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 10:41AM
PRO
LB Interiors
Groveraxle, yes apparently we disagree. I like the idea for clip rings and drapery also, nothing wrong with this choice.

But I feel this solution is not in the best interests for solarsam, concerning her dogs. I based my suggestions, on overall analyzing and considerations for solarsam's, needs, taste and lifestyle. Houzzers' ideas are supposed to be suggestions to help solarsam make her own decisions.

For me, design knowledge, clients' needs, budget and lifestyle are top priorty for sharing my suggestions to avoid errors, that can sometimes be costly. I listen to the client and make recommendations based on that information.

Solarsam, your room is a great space. You will have what you want by being who YOU are and take the posted suggestions that best fit your tastes, lifestyle and budget. Put them in a pot and choose those that are truly YOU!

Happy Decorating! It can be a beautiful and relaxing place, (If dogs are preoccupied), or special gathering spot for some friends.

Forgot a response, regarding valances: they are not outdated. There are hundreds of design styles. Maybe you are unaware..
1 Like   January 30, 2013 at 11:14AM
PRO
LB Interiors
Groveraxle, in addition, those homeowners who have gathered samples, photos, ideas, and examples for their make-overs are still having a difficult time putting it all together to fit their desires. That's why they have joined the Houzz family.
1 Like   January 30, 2013 at 11:34AM
PRO
LB Interiors
Solarsam, please take your time analyzing all the many suggestions from all of us. You will not go wrong. Be YOU!

Please post your room's progress or completion. Would love to see it!!
1 Like   January 30, 2013 at 11:40AM
PRO
StylishStaging
Give the room some warmth and harmony. Here is an example of a sunroom that I redesigned and staged for a house that was for sale. This room had blue carpet and blue trim and eclectic furnishings and décor. I attached before & after photos. You will see that adding harmony to the space the outdoors is much more viable and the space is much more tranquil.
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 11:59AM
solarsam
LB - I do like those cool pillows as well as the ceramic garden stools. (I have a nice blue/yellow one around here somewhere) I'll mull over the drapery/valance ideas but may wait until I see how much color I'll have with the area rug and accessories.
It is to my benefit that you have creative differences and I certainly respect both your styles. It's a win-win for me to see all the different ideas that can work here. I very much appreciate both your time!
StylishStaging - any chance you can post those before and after photos? Thanks!
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 1:11PM
solarsam
aha - found this piece. It'll be my starter piece. Thanks for the idea, LB!
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 2:02PM
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
Ripplefold Sheers would look amazing on the windows. It will still let in the light but cut alot of the glare so you can sit in there comfortably.

http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/drapery-toronto/sheer-drapery.html
1 Like   January 30, 2013 at 2:44PM
PRO
LB Interiors
Thanks for your sweet comments. Nice, I like the stool. You can add another one with this one. They should be the same height and depth if used together. Can be different patterns and colors, but probably not a solid color. They would not blend enough together.
1 Like   January 30, 2013 at 2:46PM
solarsam
blindsdirect - thank you. They are lovely. However, we live on the north coast and it never gets warm here in the summer so the room is never uncomfortable. Also, full sheers may not work with the dogs, as well we don't need privacy. But, I can sure see using those in our bedroom!

I did find these 3 wicker chairs in a back room that we weren't using. Do you think they would be too 'heavy' of a feel for this room, if we want to go breezy?
2 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 3:16PM
solarsam
The wicker chairs all have the ottomans.
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 3:18PM
groveraxle
The wicker chairs are a fabulous find. Consider painting them white or a bright color to lighten them up.
Madeline's House
Mimi and Eric
Porch and Pool
Homes by BROM Builders, CT
2 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 3:31PM
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 3:34PM
solarsam
Found another wicker chair we're not using. It's quite nice with an embossed wood design on the back. The things I could do with colored cushions is inspiring. Also, this is more breezy than the others.
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 3:35PM
PRO
LB Interiors
I think they work very nice. Maybe use 2 ottomans (coffee table) and 2 chairs with a small sofa or settee. Place the 3rd chair and ottoman in the right corner of the room where the long wood table is. NICE
1 Like   January 30, 2013 at 3:36PM
solarsam
Awesome groveraxle! Didn't realize I could paint wicker. Thanks! I suppose I'd have the same fight with my husband painting those that the other gal had with hers on the kitchen with pine cupboards. OMG - painting over wood or wicker! That should be fun! lol
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 3:38PM
groveraxle
If you don't want drapes hanging to the floor, here is another option that I think is more stylish than a valance. It's a relaxed Roman shade; it could be mounted over your sliders and be raised and lowered to block the sun. Chic and casual.

4 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 3:40PM
PRO
LB Interiors
Painting the wicker is a great idea.
1 Like   January 30, 2013 at 3:40PM
PRO
LB Interiors
Yes, groveraxle, roman shades will work and still have the idea of a valance type approach. Valance designs can be any top treatment on windows. That is what I was actually trying to convey, just didn't add the specific words.
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 3:43PM
solarsam
And, now that I got looking around - 2 more wicker chairs not being used. Gee, I may be able to get this done on a small budget!
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 3:51PM
PRO
LB Interiors
There's the settee grouping. Maybe purchase outdoor fabric cushions. i want to go shopping at your house. tee hee
1 Like   January 30, 2013 at 3:52PM
solarsam
Sometimes when I hear valance I think of a boxy-topped thing, very tailored. I really like those roman shades because most of the time they'd be up they'd have a lot of nice fabric to show just sitting up there without looking boxy. And, you're right - they could be functional when the sun got to be a nuisance.
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 3:55PM
solarsam
Perfect LB! There's my settee grouping! Wow wow wow
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 3:58PM
solarsam
Outdoor fabric on big fluffy good chair pillows just may be the ticket.
Oh God but I hate working on fabrics. I can't make up my mind with so many choices so will pick the first thing I see if it isn't white.

I'm also thinking the blue walls, which have different shades of blue in them, may work well if we bring in some deeper blue in the area rug. Hubby really wants the round table but ok to scratch the desk. So color on the table maybe? Again, then there won't be room for 2 seating groups, if we kept that as the table takes up too much space. But, it does have good wood and nice legs. (I won't make a joke out of that)
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 4:04PM
PRO
LB Interiors
The round table is for dining. The right side of the room where the hutch is. i bet you have at least 2 dining chairs somewhere? 2- 4 seats around table that is (was) in front of hutch in your pic.
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 4:10PM
solarsam
Again - one wall is behind the busy kitchen and is quiet (where the corner bookshelf is) and the other potential wall is where the desk is now. That is where people or dogs would be prefer to sit if they want to watch all the activity. Oh, I think I also have some chrome and glass round tables but - ugh. So dated. But, they are breezy. Dogs are fine around them.
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 4:10PM
solarsam
Gee - I haven't had this much fun in ages!
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 4:11PM
solarsam
LB - yes, I have 8 chairs for that table. 4 with arms, 4 w/o. They are country style from an old beach house that matches this table (with leaf) and that bookshelf.
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 4:12PM
solarsam
I've been slowly getting rid of the chairs around that table for 17 yrs, one at a time. I'm done to none. We have dining for 12 right around the corner.
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 4:13PM
solarsam
Well, I actually never thought of dining on that round table as a separate spot. hmmm. How cozy.
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 4:14PM
solarsam
Still have all the chairs, yes.
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 4:15PM
groveraxle
Don't forget, you've still got eleven stools to deal with. I'm beginning to suspect your house is where all the furniture in the whole neighborhood goes to die!

A little suggestion if you want to save a workout. Make a drawing of the room roughly to scale (if you have graph paper, it would be great for this), and then cut out little chairs and tables and settees (also to scale) and sit down and play with them. When you think you have an arrangement you like, then move the furniture into place and see how it works.
1 Like   January 30, 2013 at 4:26PM
groveraxle
BTW, I actually think the blue walls work well with the saltillo, but I would get rid of the frogs and their lily pads. (Your dogs told me they found them disturbing.) I would recommend a solid blue, but you could re-faux the walls yourself; two shades of paint and a sea sponge is all it takes.
1 Like   January 30, 2013 at 4:30PM
solarsam
groveraxle - yes, trust me, furniture comes into this house and just dies! Never leaves! lol
We have so many chairs I could knock around a few tables with them.
What we have is no form and no function in the rooms we like the most.
Thus, chairs going to waste..
I also have no confidence in painting. I'll try and take a better shot of the wall. There's some other paraphanlia on them that you might have mistaken for frogs. I'll get a higher up shot.
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 7:49PM
solarsam
I also love your idea of the graph paper. I've got some around here.
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 7:50PM
PRO
LB Interiors
I'm back, good idea to try the paper cutouts. Please take the length and width of the floor space. That would help a lot. I would really like to see a couple more photos wide angle.
We could get a better perspective. The measurements would be great!
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 8:57PM
PRO
LB Interiors
I want to see the chrome chairs. Are they vintage, maybe from the 50's?
They may work with the table by the hutch bookcase.
1 Like   January 30, 2013 at 8:59PM
PRO
LB Interiors
My feeling is that you think you have to fit the round table and chairs way in the back of the corner niche. No, you can bring them forward. Dogs can have the yard window side of the room.

Or, Dogs in the niche corner where the hutch is now? Just switch room corner spaces with the round table/chairs and where the long table was. Long table goes in the niche where desk is now.
1 Like   January 30, 2013 at 9:04PM
Darzy
If you want to make the space an extension of the home and cozy, I would not use outdoor furniture. (you have plenty outside). I would suggest a small slipcovered sofa (washable) in front of the window with a small painted coffee table. Take your wicker chair/ottoman at the right of the sofa Remove the corner hutch and put your desk on that wall/niche. Put your round table where the desk is now (put a lamp on it) and flank it with two of your wicker chairs. Paint the walls a pretty aqua blue. (Flank the outdoor pots/plants with the sofa even tho they are outside). Ground the sitting area with an indoor/outdoor rug (for the puppies). If there is space, you can use the small table behind the sofa (with the drawers facing the windows) as a sofa table.
Rie
Antiqued Aqua Paint
Oriental Turkish, Aqua
1 Like   January 30, 2013 at 9:17PM
solarsam
You know dogs, LB! They would love that niche in the corner. I understand about them using the outer perimeter of a cozy seating area instead of trying to be IN it. They'd be just fine with that.
Not sure what you mean by the long table. The table with the 2 metal bins in it is about 1/2 the length of the desk and about the same width. I do think the 'round' table would take up too much space in that corner. Will definitely get measurements of room tomorrow so that would be helpful. So many tables, so little time! Thanks again!
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 9:20PM
solarsam
Darzy - another great idea. I'm totally mulling it around as I do like the idea of a sofa of some kind and not just a wicker one. (some of this wicker is some of the first furniture we had when first married and it's not comfortable; never thought I'd sit in it again, but I didn't have the right cushions then either) Not sure if I've got space for chairs And tables. But, does not preclude me from finding another table that would fit behind something. Will put that on my new graph paper too! Thanks.
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 9:31PM
PRO
LB Interiors
About the possible dog corner. Keep the hutch where it is, if not changing it. leave the rest of that corner for the dogs.
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 9:46PM
Darzy
We have three dogs. One is in the lap at two at the feet! They never stay in their "corner!" lol
1 Like   January 30, 2013 at 9:52PM
solarsam
lol Darzy, understand. I would actually like to sit in this room with my dogs on my lap. My dogs are all lapdogs.
2 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 10:00PM
solarsam
One of my 3 buddies. Luther. #14 Top Great Dane in the country last year. Brag and fluffing my pillows.
2 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 10:04PM
PRO
LB Interiors
Man, they must be heavy. hats off to you.
1 Like   January 30, 2013 at 10:07PM
PRO
LB Interiors
Yes, Darzy, since most dogs don't stay where you expect them to. I would design the room for how I want to use it and the left over space for the dogs. Taking the measurements will help. That's where they will probably be anyway, other than your lap.
1 Like   January 30, 2013 at 10:11PM
Darzy
Beatiful dogs Solarsam! They look like Royalty. :)
1 Like   January 30, 2013 at 10:15PM
solarsam
I think a couple of those big wicker chairs would work if the dogs wanted to sit in them, where the desk is now. I like that idea. Small table between. Then we can all observe the happenings in the kitchen..or whoever is sitting there. Love the teal color! I could paint that little table sitting by the sliding doors or use as is. It's kind of cute. (it's way up high on this post and too small to see probably)
Ok, that side of the room may be forming.. Too bad that bin table wouldn't fit behind them with a lamp on it..
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 10:17PM
solarsam
Thanks everyone! Yes, it's about 600 #'s of dog but, don't forget, they've got PLENTY of places to be and sit and veg than just this room. This is gonna be MY room. :) They may get invited in and they WILL sit in their corners. They may use the chairs on occasion but I'm with somebody who said who wants to change slipcovers all the time? I agree. I do that on all the other furniture already. OK, I'm so rethinking my room now!
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 10:20PM
solarsam
Sorry, one of 4 buddies, not 3. Didn't mean to leave Romeo off that list. He's our old guy.
1 Like   January 30, 2013 at 10:25PM
onthefence
I dunno solarsam. Romeo is looking a bit peeved/hurt to have been left of the list.

A treat may be in order.
2 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 10:28PM
solarsam
lol...okaaay ... but, he's the guy who loves to be outside ALL the time.
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 10:34PM
solarsam
Old guy keeps saying...down the hill...down the hill...please..
1 Like   January 30, 2013 at 10:35PM
PRO
LB Interiors
I think this might help, since you own so many pieces of furniture to play around with,

1st - Pick an area and place the settee grouping . I suggested the left side of the room in your pic. You have lots of options presented to you.

Move the long table with bins where you like.

Create a dining area (game table) of 4 chairs with your round table in optional different areas suggested. Start moving things around.

You will decide quicker because you have the furniture already. You can always buy new later.

Now you have a floorplan that you like and you will know what to buy when the time comes. You will know how it feels in the room and how you want to use it.

Then you have to post the pics, ok?
1 Like   January 30, 2013 at 11:51PM
solarsam
Thank you! I'll do just that - great idea. And, will definitely post pics during the process.
0 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 12:12PM
PRO
LB Interiors
What are the barstools, not aware when there was a post for that?
1 Like   February 1, 2013 at 11:35AM
groveraxle
OMG, love the danes! You could eliminate all furniture from the room and leave it bare except for a big fluffy rug. Then we could roll around on the floor with them! JK
2 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 5:56PM
solarsam
Oh, thanks groveraxle - now, that is not a bad idea! Big fluffy rug, some funky Portlandia art and we're off to the races. Dogs would love it.

LB - uhh.. I had another thread called 'Help with Husband - and barstools' and got some tremendously funny responses back.

As it turns out, the barstools arrived today and I need to post something on that thread about it. And, it's a big groan.. argh.
0 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 6:23PM
PRO
LB Interiors
Are the barstools going in this room too?
1 Like   February 1, 2013 at 9:21PM
Darzy
solarsam...your "need help with husband" thread had me in tears! lol

For this space, I still want a comfy spot to lounge in. (That you see when you look into the room). Make the room look inviting and want to come in). How about a denim sofa? Hide the desk on the other wall for your laptop). I think you already have lots of wonderful items to furnish your room. With the exception of comfy sofa. If you have your table where the desk is (use it as "side" table with two wicker chairs flanking the table). I'm sorry, you don't need that wonderful little piece of quirky art above the desk because I WANT it. :)
1 Like   February 1, 2013 at 9:45PM
solarsam
Darcy, found my leetle 5 o'clock mouse in New Orleans - special piece ;) Thank you.
I'm also leaning towards some kind of comfy couch (like the denim idea too!) instead of soley wicker, but the wicker will work. I do want to get rid of the desk completly as it's using up too much 'sittin space'. (don't need it for a laptop)
0 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 10:01PM
Darzy
Yes, the wicker will work too as your side chairs. Funny, I bought a "jeweled" carousel horse on a stand in a small shop in New Orleans about 1978 and spent $280 for it. It was a HUGE expense for me then. I simply cannot part with it so i "make it work" somewhere. :)
1 Like   February 1, 2013 at 10:13PM
PRO
LB Interiors
I just found your "husband" thread. Loved it. I have a husband like all of you. If it's not broke, why change it?
1 Like   February 1, 2013 at 11:08PM
solarsam
Hi all. I just wanted to thank you again for all your help on my sunroom. I am still working on it and your ideas have been incredibly fantastic. I have run into a bit of a roadblock with clearing out some of hubby's garage space to make room to get rid of the 'desk' in this sunroom and store it, that I want to remove before I can add my chairs. So, we are working on him getting rid of a gas barrel (for Y2K I think) and an old recliner and a fridge.. I will post pictures once I get this project started. Thanks for ALL your help and patience!
0 Likes   March 5, 2013 at 9:27PM
Darzy
Thanks for the update solarsam. We are looking forward to your new sunroom designs.
0 Likes   March 5, 2013 at 9:30PM