powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
What can i do about this hunter green viking range?
hormonal
January 29, 2013 in Polls
I want to remodel my kitchen but I hate this hunter green range. All other appliances are stainless. What typeof sink would work best and what can I do with this range? My husband doesn't want me to replace it because of the color.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
saraj11357
I think the hood on this is overwhelming, Can it be separated? It may look better if it was just stainless steal! How does the rest of this room look? Can you add other pictures?
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 4:31PM
Jayme H.
Wondering if u can a thin sheet of stainless to cover the green on the hood. I think with the hood being green also, it could look better.
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 4:38PM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
You can have appliances painted.
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 4:40PM
Vic Reffett
I like it It is different
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 4:45PM
Rachel
I like the green and it could be a nice splash of an accent colour. You could also tie the colour into your backsplash with silvers/greys.

I agree that the hood is a little overwhelming. Two options spring to mind:
1. What about using tremclad paint to paint the range hood? It would probably be a bad idea for the actual stove (given the heat) but the hood is not subjected to such extreme temperatures.
2. have a custom built range hood go "over" the current functional one. Obviously the style/colour is wrong, but this was kind of what I was thinking: http://walzcraft.com/product/range-hood-g-series-standard-cherry/
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 4:46PM
PRO
auburn gallery
tape off the stainless portion and spray it black like the body of the Viking.
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 4:51PM
hormonal
I think you are right about the hood being overwhelming. I can replace it with stainless and it might do the trick. Also I do need to remove all that junk and put something attractive on that shelve in the meantime. Thank you.
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 4:52PM
PRO
Significant Buildings and Construction
You could definitely paint the appliances but I would be worried it would peel. I would consider accenting with a stainless backsplash that has some green tile in it. The backsplashes they are coming out with now have diversified remarkable, and we have put in many that accent even hunter green appliances! Good luck!
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 4:53PM
Ashley Camp
Ggreeq
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 4:56PM
PRO
Linda
I love that range! My 1931 kitchen has jadeite green tile and that range would be the absolutely perfect accent. But, my kitchen is one of a kind...

You could paint the hood. I have a neighbor who painted a 70s Burnished Copper hood and you would never believe that it wasn't real stainless steel. I don't know exactly what paint he used, but I do remember he told me that $40 for paint was a lot cheaper than replacing a 36 inch hood
2 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 5:23PM
onthefence
Have you talked to a Viking dealer to see if the front panel could be replaced?
1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 5:32PM
handymam
I also think if you changed the rangehood to stainless steel the green wouldn't be so "in your face." I like green, but I think on the hood it gives a top heavy feel. Also, a very inexpensive idea is to splurge on some nice kitchen towels and hang them on the oven door handle. That will have even less green showing.
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 5:34PM
simplify52
LOVE the green Viking, the hood not so much. I'd keep the stove (green is making a comeback now) and try to work on the hood to get it to a stainless style. Think of the stove as being the "unexpected" in the room. I would love to have it myself!!!
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 5:39PM
hormonal
Thanks to all that replied. I think the hood is indeed the problem. I will see about changing that.
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 4:04AM
Genevieve
To Linda
I would love to see a picture of your kitchen . I absolutely love that stove its one of a kind . I wish that I would have one now:) if you look at Elmira stoves you well see how beautiful they all are and in the retro colours too......I can only wish for a stove and a kitchen like yours I can visualize a black and white tiled floor and these appliances , they would take me back to my childhood in my mother's kitchen.
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 5:39AM
hormonal
You are right! I thought my stove was dated and it turns out to be great. I just need to remodel around it. I think i will change the hood however, it is too low and over whelming.
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 5:53AM
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 8:28AM
Genevieve
The rack under the hood is there for a couple reasons the first one is that you can keep dishes warm while you are cooking the steam will heat up the base of it and the second one is that no dirt will fall into the pots . To remove this will take the purpose of it away , think twice before doing this , that shlf is not to keep spices on it .
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 8:33AM
hormonal
Thank you. I didn't know that. You are right. I have a jem and didn't even know it! Thanks for educating me. Not only will it save me money but i'll have a great
Look. Can't thank you enough.
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 9:01AM
Shekinah Ruston_Kromhout
I would remove the spices for sure. And You can I get metal paint and paint over the green, I would not paint the oven itself just the hood. Also, I am completely jealous. I would love to have a Viking stove. That is wonderful.
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 9:09AM
hormonal
It is a wonderful stove and i think you are right, it is the hood that is too much. Thanks
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 9:11AM
More Discussions
I need help in led light / 3d max
I want to know how to create hidden led lighting at...
Clarity classic
Filling Floating Shelves
I am trying to fill my new shelves in my Living Room...
jennstoltz
Paint color help!
We just bought a house that we love...however our style...
wseignious
Kitchen Renovation-W MI
Damaged parquet flooring led to a total kitchen renovation....
Karen Woods
Are two-toned kitchens a hard sell?
I'm thinking of doing a two-toned contemporary kitchen...
Stephanie Lemieux
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.