Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need professional advice on curtains
julieanmara
January 29, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hello. I just bought my first home and I have no idea what color curtains to buy for the front window and the french door. Since it's an open plan and the french door is directly across from the front window, I wanted to use the same curtain for both jobs. The front window faces east and the French door west, so I need the curtain to block light when needed. Should I use a grey color like the walls or a cream color like my furniture? Also, a solid color or a pattern to add texture to the room? The second photo is of my area rugs in the space. Even though teal is my accent color, I decided against using it for curtains because it was too dark for me. Thank you in advance
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
julieanmara
Here is one more photo...
January 29, 2013 at 5:36pm     
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
Good golly, girl, you're off to a fabulous start! You've made beautiful selections, and I'll try not to screw it up for you. I'd use the same cream as your furniture for your draperies. I would recommend a shade of some sort on the windows, which could be wood blinds, Silhouettes, Duettes, grass shades, or whatever pleases you. I like wood blinds because with them you can control the light that comes into the house.

Then I would install stationary drapery panels, mounted on 1" iron rods just below the ceiling. The draperies would fall to the floor.

You can certainly have traversing draperies if you wish, but then they are either opened or closed. That's why I prefer side panels and shades, which I feel present the best of both worlds.
January 29, 2013 at 5:48pm     
PRO
Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
Adding some interest by adding a pattern would go a long way toward making this room more appealing. Indian inspired cottons and linens are two ideas. Use shades on the windows and drape the doors. Feature a shaped bottom for the shades by adding a trim.
Install a mirror opposite your Dining Room table.
January 29, 2013 at 5:58pm     
julieanmara
Thank you Carolyn and Jeffery Brooks. Carolyn, I have the white wood blinds on now so are you are recommending I get rid of those with for a different style?
January 29, 2013 at 6:07pm   
PRO
No, keep the wood blinds and add the drapery panels at each side. I couldn't tell what was there and glad you clued me in.
January 29, 2013 at 6:10pm     
Lkristine
I added some links for you and they aren't showing.....anyway, I am not a professional, just wanted to show some options you could take a look at. Your room is beautiful. http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-1002249/home-classics-harbor-blackout-window-panel-54-x-84-.jsp and the next link, the platinum color, http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-772523/peri-radius-circle-window-panel-52-x-84.jsp One more, http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-c27348/eclipse-round-round-thermaweave-blackout-window-panel.jsp
January 29, 2013 at 6:16pm     
PRO
One comment on the mirror over the beautiful chest. I would prefer to see it hung vertically, but then I seldom meet a mirror that I wouldn't want to hang vertically. It's one of my hangups. But particularly in this space, hanging it vertically will make the space look higher between the the chest and the stairway.
January 29, 2013 at 6:27pm     
julieanmara
That's a great idea Carolyn. Now that I'm looking at it you are so right!
January 29, 2013 at 6:32pm   
PRO
I'm smiling and saying thanks!
January 29, 2013 at 6:50pm     
jenilski
I love your decor, very comfy. I am seeing a deep almost chocolate brown raw silk drapery. I think it is the same tone as the gray but in the shade of beige/brown, like your chest in the front right corner. Soft shears in the window with dark drapes and on the French doors you can mount soft shades with the drapes flanking them. Good luck. :)
January 29, 2013 at 6:53pm     
PRO
Anthology Interiors
I really like the room and its combination of color and pattern. I second the idea of a shade, maybe a twiggy (higher end grass or twig) natural shade with a geometric print drape on the sides and hung from the ceiling edge as another designer suggested. If the drape can pick up some of that teal while staying light and bright (a geometric or ethnic print on a white or ivory background would be nice) - I think it would come together beautifully. This combination can also save you a lot of money if you can find pre-made drapery panels (check out ZGallerie, West Elm, Pottery Barn, etc.) without needing to worry too much about the lining and whether or not they close completely. Shades can also be pricey but a good designer can help you find the best combination of vendor/price for your budget. Good luck, you are off to a wonderful start!
January 29, 2013 at 7:03pm     
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
Yes, the blinds and panels will look great together.
January 29, 2013 at 7:06pm   
julieanmara
Thanks Jen. I wanted to keep a light airy feel so I didn't want to use a dark color. Chocolate brown is the color of the hardwoods, the chest of drawers is cream and black. I actually have some sheets in that color so I will try draping them up to get an idea what that would look like.
January 29, 2013 at 7:07pm   
julieanmara
Thanks Anthology interiors. I like your idea as well. So if I choose a geometric pattern on the curtain, does that pattern have to repeat somewhere else in the room? The reason I'm asking is because I already have my accent pillows and area rug.
January 29, 2013 at 7:12pm   
PRO
Carolyn C. Interior Decorator, Brampton, ON.
Beautiful. Here are two versions for you. I tried to do the living room but the image is too small and when i enlarge it it's too grainy. I love the cream panels but it's personal - you've done a beautiful job so far so just keep making those great choices.

Glad you are hanging the mirror vertically it will look great. You can go to the floor or on the floor. On the floor isn't for everyone especially if children and animals are in the house :-)
January 29, 2013 at 7:13pm     
julieanmara
Also when you designers say hang from "ceilings edge" does that mean right under the ceiling? Both window and door have a height of 82". I am aware to hang at least 6 inches above the moulding and I figured I would need a 96"option. So now if I understanding you guys correctly I would need a much longer one correct?
January 29, 2013 at 7:18pm   
PRO
Cream Panels. I'm with Carolyn, these are so elegant.
January 29, 2013 at 7:19pm   
julieanmara
Thanks Carolyn C. Yes, was planning on having a little drape on the floor. No kids, just two older cats that are very kind to my furnishings.
January 29, 2013 at 7:21pm   
PRO
If you have 9' ceilings I'd go with a minimum of 96" in length plus the amount for the floor depending on how much you want puddled. But you can go higher. If you are planning on adding crown moulding allow yourself to be 3" below the crown.

The reason the cream is a good choice is because it will be there for the life of your furniture. You can always change up the paint and accessories without a major expense of changing the draperies. If you aren't going with a black out lining, which you probably don't need, consider using texline or texline napped. They are lovely linings.
January 29, 2013 at 7:23pm   
Lkristine
If panels don't come in 96in length, you can add, or have added, a band of solid colored fabric that compliments the room, or a pattern if you choose a solid.
January 29, 2013 at 7:27pm     
PRO
It is perfectly fine to hang the drapery from 4 to 6" above the window. However, most designers prefer to take the drapery as high as possible, placing the rod just below the ceiling or the crown moulding if there is one. But just because we prefer it doesn't mean that you must do so. It will look quite nice at a lower height also.
January 29, 2013 at 7:36pm     
Danielle Lyn
I realize this isnt a helpful comment but where did you purchase those loveseats!!???! I wanted to set up our family room with two sofas just like that!!!
January 29, 2013 at 7:36pm     
PRO
JMittman Designs
Your space is beautiful. Here are some prints if you decide to go that direction. --If you use a PRINT, I'd highly recommend blackout lining with your east/west windows. The sun would wash out the pattern otherwise.
January 29, 2013 at 7:39pm     
Lkristine
http://www.ehow.com/info_8280644_proper-length-panel-curtains.html Seems like yours need have easy function to block sun, so maybe just floor length, not puddling? And if this shows up more than once, sorry in advance. I think I must need a new internet provider. Anyway, you need to find a balance between beauty and practicality, sometimes that is easily overseen by strictly beautiful, which behind the scenes, becomes a pain in your butt! There is a happy, acceptable balance between.....that is achievable.
January 29, 2013 at 7:41pm     
julieanmara
Danielle Lyn- I bought them from Macys.com. They come in many different colors...
http://m.macys.com/shop/product/elliot-living-room-furniture-sets-pieces?ID=475445&cookie_check=true
January 29, 2013 at 7:56pm     
Lkristine
Seems like comments have disappeared off of here. Crazy!
January 29, 2013 at 7:59pm     
PRO
Chic Alors Decor & Design
Beautiful room, juliannemara! I would prefer to see cream colour drapery panels in a faux silk. Consider adding an embelishment, i.e. vertical panel along edge of drape in a pattern design or fun oversized tassels! Hang your drapes from corner to corner, just covering the trim on the window frame, keeping them full so you can close them. This will make the window seem even larger! LOVE the blue and cream pallette!
January 29, 2013 at 8:05pm     
julieanmara
Thank you all so much. You are all giving me such great ideas. I was remodeling then decorating this place since August and I was completely out of ideas. I'm glad this discussion board exists so that many different designers can give regular people like me their expertise.
January 29, 2013 at 8:05pm   
Danielle Lyn
Thank you! I love them! We apparently have similar taste...I just bought very similar dining room chairs and painted my walls very close to the same gray color!!! lol

Also, I really like the idea of having the cream and gray color incorporated into the curtains, with the excess fabric draped onto the floor
January 29, 2013 at 8:07pm     
julieanmara
Lkristine, it's not your computer. I accidentally posted this question twice tonight and I didn't know how to delete the first one.
January 29, 2013 at 8:26pm   
PRO
Tres McKinney Design
I second Carolyn's recommendation
January 29, 2013 at 8:47pm   
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
One other thought..love the idea for simple panels hung at the ceiling..(95-96") Hang as high as possible..have them just barely touch the floor..no puddles please. Hang the panels just off the windows to the sides, but cover the side frames. I suggest a beautiful, lined, woven wood roman shade for light block & privacy. I would mount the romans on the wall above the window barely under the curtain rod. When pulled up they would just cover the top window trim..it will make the windows look much taller. You could choose textures of grasses for a sophisticated look or sliced bamboo & reed for a more contemporary look, there are hundreds from which to choose. Why be ordinary.
January 29, 2013 at 9:08pm     
julieanmara
Sorry, I forgot to add the ceiling heights. The ceiling in the living room is vaulted and is 11 ft and the dining room has a regular 8ft ceiling.
January 29, 2013 at 9:27pm   
PRO
Transforming Rooms
You can get window treatment ideas, with before & after photos on this blog:
http://www.interiordesigngreensboro.com/search?q=window+treatment+photos

You'll probably find it to be very informative, with tips regarding styles, fabrics, function, etc. There are photos of two story window treatments as well as 11' tall ceilings.

Hope you "like" it!!

By the way, - great looking pillows & throw - nice sofa!
January 30, 2013 at 6:34am     
julieanmara
Transforming rooms- thank you, I'll check it out.
January 30, 2013 at 8:02am   
Jean Tuck
i like this one
January 30, 2013 at 8:09am   
julieanmara
Also Transforming rooms, the pillows were purchased from Zincdoor.com and the love seats from Macy's.com. I live in upstate New York and there isn't a lot available around here that I like so I bought everything online.
January 30, 2013 at 9:01am   
swewer
You have excellent taste. I found a great item for curtains when I redid my dining room with grayish walls: The light cream ( eggshell ) slight sheen drapes, lined..from Bed Bath and Beyond. Choose Argentina style ( around $50 each ) which has a light blocking liner ( not heavy duty, but.. ). It has a nice weight and drapes easily. You also get a choice in how the rod pocket can be used. If you want to fancy it up...choose high end tie backs cords and tassles with a pop of gray tones. Standard 84" length works just hanging straight down. But if you tie back at the sides, choose 95" length, and let the hem 'puddle' to the floor. The patterns on your rug and pillows will add enough design so that your curtains won't need a pattern. It will look classic, understated, and elegant.
January 30, 2013 at 9:18am     
amgoulet20
beautiful job!!! love your style!!! no different ideas than other posts!
January 30, 2013 at 1:22pm     
julieanmara
Thank you amgoulet20. It's my first time decorating a space and I'm glad to hear it looks nice.
January 30, 2013 at 1:46pm   
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
I would go with a soft grey solid silk for the panels . I would mount a rod 6'' above the window and put 24'' panels to frame the windows .
http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/drapery-toronto/panels/grommet-drapery.html
January 30, 2013 at 2:48pm   
PRO
Apartment 46 for the Home
LOVE the inlaid cabinet. Coming over to take it now. :) I agree on Duette blinds on the French doors OR custom stationary French door curtains since you don't want to be messing with something as you come in and out of the doors. Carolyn's ideas are fantastic and as usual, I'm throwing a question in there that may or may not upset the apple cart. Is there a man in this house? Calm down everyone! LOL. The reason I ask is because 98 percent of the men in the homes I have designed, freak out about puddled curtains. First of all, we all have to admit it makes no sense. It's just material on the floor gathering dust. Yes, it's a look. It's a luxe, romantic, "I have loads of fabric" type look but in the practical day-to-day, who is sweeping behind them, vacuuming them and keeping them clean? Do you even WANT to do that? I think a small bit of extra at the bottom can still look luxurious and I think Carolyn mentioned that. I just feel strongly that overall, if there is a partner in the home, that person also needs to be asked their opinion, even if they say they don't care, BECAUSE I literally just left a client's last night where the husband, who "really didn't have an opinion" suddenly became very unhappy with curtain rod finials. Yes. You heard me. The tiny ends of the curtain rods. Who would have thought that he would have attached to that. Simple elegance is usually best.
January 30, 2013 at 3:01pm     
julieanmara
Apartment46-thank you for the advice. Right now I live alone but I agree with you about not puddling too much fabric. I was thinking just a couple inches.
January 30, 2013 at 4:11pm     
PRO
Juliean - I do like a couple of inches, but the program I have has it soooo puddled - but everyone is right, if you are going to open them and close them then just to the floor is best with an operable blind for light control. Can't wait to see it done. It's interesting because very ornate curtains still seem to be fashionable in the States, but up here everyone is opting for just panels, no puddles, no valances. I work with a lot of seniors and they still want fancy draperies but all the shows are just showing panels.
January 30, 2013 at 6:27pm     
Bonnie
If you add 1 to 1.5 inches to your length it will give it a full look without a puddle effect. Curtains that are too short look skimpy all around.
January 30, 2013 at 6:47pm     
PRO
Chic Alors Decor & Design
Hello juleanmara! When hanging drapery panels they should just break the floor like a man's pant leg or unless you pool them which gives it a glam effect.
January 30, 2013 at 7:44pm     
PRO
Apartment 46 for the Home
@juleanmara never let anyone move in because it's too gorgeous! :) Full is awesome, skimpy not-so-much but just had to throw in the practical. I always ask my clients, "Who is going to clean it?" and this elicits some very interesting facial expressions and change of plans at times. LOL.
January 30, 2013 at 11:28pm   
PRO
Cheery Curtains
what about these curtains? For living room, choose curtains that are not too heavy or too dark.

For more designs, welcome to my Houzz page!
January 31, 2013 at 1:11am   
PRO
Hummingbird Designs
Beautiful Job :) ...... see if you can find a nice putter color with a slight pattern or texture to it . I also think a lighter shade of teal would be nice :)
January 31, 2013 at 9:02am     
julieanmara
So far I'm loving this style LKristine suggested from Kohls.com. Unfortunately they are only made in 84" length. I need the 96" because the tops of my window are 82" from floor and I wanted to hang them higher to the ceiling. I'm searching now online to find a similar style but can't find any that I like as much.
January 31, 2013 at 9:30am   
julieanmara
After 3 days of searching online I decided on these 96" cream curtains. I liked that the lattice pattern complimented my bone inlay chest and 2 of the accent pillows I have in the room. Unfortunately they are sheer so I will be adding a cream, black out liner underneath. Thank you again to all of you for your help.
February 3, 2013 at 1:33pm     
elwillems
I think something with grey and cream colors mixed in together would look nice for the curtains!! Mabey going to a curtain place and looking at something like that!!?!
February 3, 2013 at 1:38pm   
amgoulet20
great choice!! where did you find them..I am looking for a cream, ivory linen curtain to replace my heavy grey curtains..
February 5, 2013 at 3:50pm     
julieanmara
Neimanmarcus.com. I bought them while they were having a home sale so thankfully I didn't have to pay full price...
http://www.neimanmarcus.com/p/Creative-Threads-Graceful-Sheer-Curtains/prod151170059/?eVar4=You May Also Like RR
February 5, 2013 at 3:57pm     
julieanmara
Amgoulet- Just a heads up they are on back order until the end of March.
February 5, 2013 at 4:01pm     
amgoulet20
unfortunately they do not ship to canada :( but they are beautiful!
February 5, 2013 at 5:16pm