Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Windows
Susan Mladenovich
January 29, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I have custom roman shades inside mounted on these windows on either side of the fireplace. But I find they look unfinished and want ideas for enhancing the windows. I have the same roman shade on the kitchen window which is open to this room. The challenges are there is a bulkhead above 1/3 of the window on the right. Also I have a chair in that corner. Both make panels a non-option. On the wall beside each window is the small speaker for the surround sound. Any ideas? I do have some of the same fabric remaining.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Carolyn C. Interior Decorator, Brampton, ON.
Hi Susan. Here is a rendering with some changes. I think you need a larger piece above the fireplace, or get three more pieces that work with or compliment those and drop them down a tiny bit so when they are all up they line up with the romans. Then consider mounding the romans above the windows, just below the bulk head on the right hand side. If they are too narrow you may be able to have a band of the background colour added on the side. See what you think.
January 29, 2013 at 5:38pm     
PRO
Also, I've added a crown moulding. Here it is without one.
January 29, 2013 at 5:40pm     
PRO
Here it is with the crown less white
January 29, 2013 at 5:42pm     
PRO
Here's your room with a larger picture
January 29, 2013 at 5:49pm   
PRO
Larger picture no crown
January 29, 2013 at 5:53pm     
PRO
Just larger romans
January 29, 2013 at 5:54pm   
PRO
Just larger art.

These should help you see which you like the best. Hope they help :-)
January 29, 2013 at 5:56pm     
Susan Mladenovich
Wow Carolyn. You are so quick. I will look into outside/above mounting by adding additional material. We eventually want to install another window above the fireplace when we can afford it. We have a great view of the woods. I love that sample painting you used. Where is that from?
January 29, 2013 at 5:58pm   
PRO
Personally I think the art is too small - you could consider three longer pieces as well,
January 29, 2013 at 6:02pm     
PRO
It's from a local gallery and that piece is sold. I'm in Brampton.
January 29, 2013 at 6:07pm   
Susan Mladenovich
Oh is it original art? I was hoping it was a print. My doctors office showcases art from a local Artist (I'm in Whitby) that looks similar in style and colour. I'll have to check it out.
January 29, 2013 at 6:10pm   
PRO
Here are two different window styles for you to see
January 29, 2013 at 6:16pm     
PRO
Straight transom
January 29, 2013 at 6:17pm   
PRO
The artist is Aleksandra and it's probably a print. I'm not sure to tell you the truth. I downloaded it from the internet, jus to show you how a larger piece would look but noticed it said "sold". There is lots of that type of art out there. I use a local supplier who prints them on canvas for my clients. They have the rights to certain artists and then they print them for me on canvas in the size we want. Like the ones attached. These were done for a seniors residence and they were about 150.00 each. You should be able to find them out in your neck of the woods :-)
January 29, 2013 at 6:24pm   
Susan Mladenovich
We would fill the whole space with a window. Right down to just above the mantel. Kind of like the single piece of art you showed. The view is beautiful.
January 29, 2013 at 6:24pm   
PRO
Kind of like this?
January 29, 2013 at 6:33pm   
PRO
It will be lovely and are very luck to have such a beautiful view. :-)
January 29, 2013 at 6:34pm   
PRO
Since you just posted this tonight you may get a ton more suggestions. Then you can choose what you like best :-) Have fun.
January 29, 2013 at 6:35pm   
PRO
Tres McKinney Design
I would not add a window over the fireplace because it is not authentic (a chimney should be there). If you prefer the view than eliminate the fireplace and add another window. Carolyn's recommendation of changing the inside mount roman shades to out side is a good idea but you could also add curtain panels along with the inside mount roman shades. Mount the rod as high as you can go under the beam. You will loose some window view because the windows are so close to the fireplace mantel.
January 29, 2013 at 8:37pm     
PRO
All 4 Show, LLC
What about adding some softer shapes to that wall? I think a round or oval (laid horizontally) mirror might help break up all those rectangular shapes...just a thought!! Good luck....
January 30, 2013 at 4:51am   
PRO
Debra Kling Colour Consultant
Hey, Carolyn-- Wold you mind if I asked what program you used to illustrate your changes? Many thanks, Debra.
January 30, 2013 at 4:54am     
Susan Mladenovich
Thanks Tres, the problem with window panels is the chair is also there. I have done that in other rooms. And I disagree about the window. There are other houses on our street that have them and even houses on Houzz and I think it looks great. Unfortunately when we bought our house, we had the option to have a partial cathedral ceiling in this space. I don't like those (the ceiling is flat for 2/3 of the room and then there is a straight up edge where the cathedral starts) but had I known what our view was, I would have done it since we would have had full height windows there. Kicking myself!
January 30, 2013 at 5:41am   
Susan Mladenovich
If I can't make the actual romans wider, what do you think about adding a valance. As I mentioned, I do have the same fabric left. I am sure I could have a "faux roman" made that would be wider and non-operational but would match the existing so shouldn't be too jarring in the two pieces. Has anyone done a soft valance like that?
January 30, 2013 at 5:44am   
PRO
Kitchen Tuneup
My experience with mirrors over fireplace that you get to look at the ceiiling. A large picture that measures about 4" from the mantle on each side would solve the problem.
January 30, 2013 at 7:28am   
Susan Mladenovich
here is an idea of what we want to do eventually with a window. Yellow Family Room
JDL Interiors Living Room
January 30, 2013 at 8:07am     
Jean Tuck
JDL interiors design is the one I like most of the groupings
January 30, 2013 at 8:11am   
PRO
JMittman Designs
I wouldn't put a faux roman over another roman. How about a cornice? Just wrap it around the top and side of the window frame. It would take the least amount of fabric. Having grown up in a traditional home, and living in one now, the window over the fireplace look is definitely a different look. Not my favorite, but I better than a TV there!

Based on your picture above, you plan to knock out that right ceiling portion at some time? The panel idea is nice. Good luck!
January 30, 2013 at 8:18am   
chrisroh
I love the ideas Carolyn C provided. I thought the crown molding was a great idea and then perhaps raise the pictures up on the wall.
January 30, 2013 at 8:47am   
PRO
Not at all Deborah. I use DreamDraper which was about 1600.00 and Cheif Archtiect which was about 4,000.00 Hope this helps. The Chief Architect has lesser versions as well. Good luck. If you have any questions just get my email from my page and I'll be happy to help you out however I can. There's another one they have been showing at our CDECA meetings and I think it's Cloud Design or something like that. You pay by the month and I think it's around 40.00 a month or less.
January 30, 2013 at 11:05am   
PRO
Susan, the windows are nice. If you love them then you should go for it.
January 30, 2013 at 11:06am   
kl123
I hope you don't mind if I ask , but what color is the paint in your living room - It's so cozy.
January 30, 2013 at 11:15am   
PRO
Shannon here are two options for a cornice that JMittman suggested for you to see. I can't put the fabric you have on it unless I have a Jpeg of it so I just did it a complimentary colour. This would also look very nice. I like the arched one as it makes the windows seem tallker, the key there is to make sure you cover the top of the blinds with the arch and the sides are filled in as shown.
January 30, 2013 at 12:31pm   
PRO
Debra Kling Colour Consultant
Thank you, Carolyn. Seems so user-friendly :)
January 30, 2013 at 12:49pm   
Susan Mladenovich
Kl123 it's a Ralph Lauren colour from years ago. Funny you say that because I have always liked it but the mothers-in-law are always saying its so dark.
January 30, 2013 at 4:27pm   
PRO
Debra, it's a bit of a learning curve, but sure helps my clients visualize.
January 30, 2013 at 6:29pm   
Patricia
Oh I had so much fun reading your posts. Carolyn, I love all your suggestions and being such a visual person, what you are able to do for the client is fantastic! It is amazing how much of a difference a few tweaks make!
January 31, 2013 at 6:57am   
PRO
Hummingbird Designs
I like what Carolyn C did with the window on the right. I think it would look nice with a large mirror above the fire place and just a few things on the mantle in the accent colour and I think a solid colour throw in the scent colour.
January 31, 2013 at 8:04am   
christinegolf
my set up is very much like yours and i have a hard time with window treatments! I have a valence now but not very crazy about it!
January 31, 2013 at 10:19am   
PRO
For christinegolf I would recommend nice taylored roman valances above your windows, mounted over the frame and at the ceiling. I think you may find that looks better. If I have time later I'll try to do it for you, but I'm swamped and tired :-)
January 31, 2013 at 1:07pm     
christinegolf
thank you so much for all your help & time!!!
January 31, 2013 at 2:07pm   
PRO
Tres McKinney Design
I think you should do what ever makes you happy. But with all due respect anyone can post images on Houzz whether good design or not and your neighbors ideas might be beside the point. You need to be discerning. One of the goals of Houzz is to educate and elivate awareness of design possibilities. I take seriously my obligation and my time as a designer to to use this forum to educate, mentor and help homeowners navigate all the choices they have to make. There is a need to consider when it comes to fireplces versus window views versus TVs. Pick one focal point and make it speciial. If the view is the focal point then make it so.
January 31, 2013 at 8:05pm     
Lynda Meyers
Carolyn, will you help me with my living room! :-)
February 2, 2013 at 9:04am   
Ramona
@Tres Design. Yes it is important to educate here and there are a lot of ugly design trends which get perpetuated down through the ages, so that is a constant struggle. However, as our lifestyles change and fireplaces are no longer the real thing, I think adjusting is just fine if the proportions are good. Maybe someone will invent a real fireplace flue that goes down in the ground for all we know. If we all get solar or some other technology, fireplaces may be out of the questions for ecological reasons. What then will we do with the ancient human desire to huddle over a fire? The first time I saw windows over a fireplace, I was disoriented in the extreme, now I am loving the open feeling it gives.
February 2, 2013 at 9:47am   
Ramona
I think a valance in a contrasting fabric with lots of texture would help, and I agree, the art is too small.
February 2, 2013 at 9:51am   
PRO
Tres McKinney Design
Huddeling around a fire is a primal desire which I share. When I am designing a house the first thing that comes to mind is a fireplace and windows, everything else is secondary. A contemporary fireplace that is obviously a gas jet of flames can still meet our primal desires for fire but it is not trying to be something that it is not so if there is an expansive window above it, it can work. But a very traditional fireplace and mantel in a traditionally decorated home with a window above it feels false to me just as shutters on a too wide window to be functional or a library with empty shelves for a client who does not read books or a kindle. Of cousrse we are constantly rethinking iconic ideas of what makes a house a home and how to use the rooms in our houses in ways that make since with how we live today.
February 2, 2013 at 8:42pm     
blrussell
I think the side panels are a good idea...when open they do not take up much room and will fit behind the chair or move the chair up an inch or two.
June 19, 2013 at 8:09am   
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.