Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
I need help with a new kitchen layout
brittiep
January 29, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Help! I need advice on a new layout for my kitchen. I would love more space for a table. Throwing around ideas of a banquet, or a lowered peninsula table. Or perhaps taking half my living room and creating a dining space or dining table. The plan is to remove the wall between the kitchen and living room.
There is no dining room in the 790 sq ft home.

Any advice would be greatly GREATLY appreciated!!

P.S. the wall with the current stove against, is the wall that would come down.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
Goodness, if you lose that wall, you'll have no upper cabinets there. Sometimes walls are good things to have.
January 29, 2013 at 5:57PM   
onthefence
Do you have a drawing of the layout of the kitchen? Is that a large closet to the left of the table?
January 29, 2013 at 6:01PM   
PRO
Kelli Kaufer Designs
Yes, an existing floor plan would be helpful. I think you may be able to do something interesting to make it all work!
January 29, 2013 at 6:11PM   
gunner47
I have moved 24 x's, ...done alot of kitchens, it looks like there are 2 entrances into the kitchen- is there also an entry door near the closet ? I do not work at home depot- but they can do great designs and offer good quality cabinets too. The issue becomes larger than just your kitchen as other rooms will be effected as well if you are considering removing a wall so an entire floor plan would really be best. I am sure you are aware of this but you must also be sure the wall you want to remove is not load bearing.. Blessings from Michigan
January 29, 2013 at 6:25PM   
brittiep
Wow thanks everyone!!! I am new to this, so I just quickly sketched up a rough drawing of floor plan. I can do something more detailed later!
January 29, 2013 at 6:43PM   
brittiep
I just tried using ikea planner to figure out a few things if I put a dining table where the sofa is, and I guess get a smaller sofa and move it over, creating a dining space in the living room.
January 29, 2013 at 6:44PM   
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
It would be great if you could add dimensions, from wall to wall and openings also. Thanks.
January 29, 2013 at 6:44PM   
megghi
i think that if it possible you should remove the little wall between the table and the wardrobe.in this way you open the space a lot and you can even think about an island .
January 29, 2013 at 8:36PM     
PRO
Dezign Studio Inc
Hi, you can try one of these options. Either instead of removing the wall completely, just widen the opening of the kitchen, and move the dishwasher on the other side of the sink , so you can put a Easy reach (corner ) cabinet and stove. Or you can remove the wall completely, and move the fridge on the opposite wall to the sink as shown in alt 2. The dimensions would help to decide if these ideas are practical.
January 29, 2013 at 8:53PM     
brittiep
Great thanks! Both those options would work! However I can't seem to load the left picture. Or it won't go big enough for me to see where the stove is. Oh I'm so happy I found this forum!
January 29, 2013 at 9:06PM   
PRO
Dezign Studio Inc
sorry the images are not clear. will try again, or will try later.
January 29, 2013 at 9:07PM     
brittiep
Oh thanks! Those are a bit better it could just be because I'm on an iPad. I will look closer tomorrow. Thanks so much!!!!! I never thought of just widening the opening! Crazy thing is I met with a kitchen planner about this, and it has taken her a month to get back to me! I finally meet with her thursday. This has eased my mind so much. Thanks again!
January 29, 2013 at 9:13PM   
mveasey
Whats behind the wall, where you have your current table and chairs? I see a glass shelf window...
January 29, 2013 at 10:42PM   
smfmom
Your kitchen is arranged much like my new one. Before you take out a wall, make sure there is no plumbing or duct work in it. I wanted to take out my living room wall just like you, but was not able to because there was ductwork to all the upstairs bedroom. I opted insted to knock out the wall between the dining room and kitchen. The previous kitchen was not well planned. I had to move and rework EVERYTHING in there. We had 2 ft. of workable counter space, before the remodel. Try using that for a year!! We also had an entire wall dedicated to a large picture window that was taking up the space of a functional kitchen.
If I were you. I would not take down the wall you wanted, but rather work the kitchen so that the window is taken away and you have a lot of space for storage and countertop. You may even want to rework your fridge or kitchen sink there. If you can take a few feet or even all of it get rid of the coat closet and use the space for the kitchen. The wall I would knock down to open up would be where the table and chairs are and get rid of the display case. You could also have a center kitchen island for extra room and put the chairs there. Or you could take half the wall down and have stools at a counter on the inside of the living room looking into the kitchen. I LOVE my island. I can't tell you how much it has added to our lives in the kitchen. It is so great to have the extra space for entertaining or whatever and the seating is a plus. My kitchen looks huge now, but it is only a 15x12 kitchen. Iam not sure how big yours is but if you can definately get an island with seating. It is the best feature of my new kitchen, that and the awsome pantry on the wall that I wanted to originally knock down. It all worked out so well. I planned and designed every part of our new dining and kitchen myself. See photos of before and after. You will be amazed. Any questions you have I will answer. Good luck. All things are possible. Let me know if all the photos didnt load. I am having trouble.
January 30, 2013 at 8:56AM     
smfmom
sorry here is the rest of before
January 30, 2013 at 9:05AM   
smfmom
Here is after. It is a very dark day. Not enough light in the photos.
January 30, 2013 at 9:40AM     
brittiep
Wow that's beautiful!
January 30, 2013 at 9:58AM   
smfmom
More After
January 30, 2013 at 10:05AM     
Jim RemodellingIsRelaxing
You are getting some really good responses here - I think I may try posting my next project!
First, I think it might help to know what your budget is for this remodel, and also maybe mention your taste/style? That might affect responses you see.
My opinion is, I like (I think?) picture #2 from Dezign Studio but I cannot really see it so I'm making some assumptions - so here's me thinking out loud...
I heard that the trend is to make 'stations' in your kitchen so maybe a linear kitchen. One station for prep, one for washing, etc. So keep the fridge and sink where they are, but maybe put the dishwasher between them - that would be your prep/cleanup area for working with raw chicken/pork. :) Then have a coffee area, maybe with a built-in coffeemaker above (maybe have a Miele that's hooked directly in to your plumbing, or whatever budget permits) and that would be your veggie prep area. Then the stove/oven area followed by more cabinets. Maybe an island parallel to it. I'm not crazy about sinks/cookers in the island, we put one in a couple of years ago and it's the focal point (granite, has good subtle movement, nothing is cut into it).
Those cabinets look like they are teak - if so you might consider a Euro-style, Bosch/Miele, or maybe old-world looking Bertazzoni for the range.
But - having said all that - I think you might also consider going with a different designer/kitchen planner. Dezign Studio chimed in with immediate results that you liked, compare this to yours who took a month to get back to you....
Hope that helps!
January 30, 2013 at 10:05AM   
Jim RemodellingIsRelaxing
wow smfmom that looks great!
January 30, 2013 at 10:07AM     
L
Smfmom, you did a wonderful job! It looks amazing, especially considering what you started with. Congrats, what an investment booster!
January 30, 2013 at 10:36AM     
L
Brittiep, I would take out that "closet" that juts into the kitchen, open up the wall behind the stove (IF possible), but only by widening the entrance rather than taking the wall out completely. I'd create a work island that doubles as a breakfast nook. There's a lot of storage that can take place under an island......nice, large space for storing large pots, cookie sheets and such. Put in a full-sized fridge and stove and go with cupboards straight up to the ceiling to maximize your wall use. Make sure you have "lazy susans" in your corner cabinets for ease of use. Update and modernize the cupboards and counter top and you'll have a wonderfully useful kitchen. Stay with lighter, brighter colours and even a light, fresh monochromatic colour scheme with just a punch of a bright, happy accent colour. Small spaces can look too busy and cluttered very easily. Keep it simple!
January 30, 2013 at 10:45AM   
L
Brittiep, sorry, I just looked a little closer at your lay-out. Obviously that isn't a closet and cannot be removed. I would therefore go with a galley kitchen layout. Widen the opening to the living room, BUT do it more centered so you can make use of the section of wall that runs toward the stairs going ??? Use that wall to set up a good stretch of work counter and cupboards (depending on the measurements) a pantry is priceless. Leave enough wall on both sides to have a corner cupboard (or small pantry area) on either side of the widened opening to the living room. Use that far end of the living room for a dining room table. Yes, go to smaller living room furniture in order to more easily lay out the room and make it look less "small". Again, keep your colours fresh, crisp and clean with not too much contrast. Less is best in this case. It'll be wonderful!!!
January 30, 2013 at 10:52AM   
brittiep
My budget is small. Which is the other dilemma! I have pretty handy men in my life (electrician, drywaller, jack of all trades). I was hoping to only spend $10000 total. Give or take a few grand for appliances. I was hoping to go with ikea cabinets, as they are cheap and we can do the labour. However I am open to other cabinet suppliers, hopefully this lady that has taken a month has something great for me that I can't refuse. Not too sure how to pin point my style. I seem to lean towards white shaker style.
I have been reading more discussions, and now wonder if I should try find someone to install hardwoods right through? The rest of the house (living room too) has original hardwood floors which we refinished a year ago and they look spectacular. Although cost would be a factor.
The house is only 790 sq ft. So there really isn't a whole lot of space to work with, as in other walls that could potentially come down.
I'm so happy with all of the feed back I have gotten. Thank you everyone! I finally feel like maybe I'm not stuck! Clearly there are solutions!!!
January 30, 2013 at 10:59AM   
L
Suggestion........don't go hardwood in the kitchen. It's a mistake. Even if it was a good idea, you won't match the hardwood in the rest of the house which would just make everything look "patched" and trashy rather than classy. Shaker style would go nicely in what I'm suggesting for your kitchen. In fact, I was thinking something maybe bead board style doors ( with little drawers in tall columns along each side of the stove so the cupboards look more like furniture than cupboards). Maybe you could possibly use some of the cupboards that are there, but replace the fronts, maybe with some strategically placed glass front doors. If the cupboards are in sections, you could possibly take the sections apart and restack them in the formation you want, maybe even forming a type of pantry style cupboard. This would leave you to just buy (or make) new door fronts and buy (or built) the rest of what you need. It's a LOT easier than what you think if you are at all handy. My husband and I have done it many, many times. Today you can mix and match cupboard colours (and styles to a certain extent) which would potentially save you a bundle. For the floors, I would go ceramic or porcelain in the kitchen or a quality tile or slate "look" laminate floor for durability and cost effectiveness. If your cupboards are low and you want to raise them, just add a deeper base at the bottom and voila!
January 30, 2013 at 12:10PM     
Sara Williams
You could widen the doorway by the stove and instead of taking down the whole wall, just make it a half wall, leaving the stove where it is. You could annex that walkway by your table and put the fridge there and put cabinets (either uppers and lowers with a countertop or just a whole wall of storage) where the table currently is.
January 30, 2013 at 12:14PM   
L
I would move the stove over tp the wall that leads to the stairs. Make maximum use of that space. Center a wide opening to the "dining room" on the wall that the stove is NOW on. Open it up a bit to make it feel larger. It would also move the stove across from the sink and closer to the fridge which makes it more practical.
January 30, 2013 at 12:17PM   
leoss
in youtube, can you search: " small kitchen designs ideas" there are tooo much images for to see and can you take more ideas this helpme too much
January 30, 2013 at 12:27PM   
brittiep
These are just a few things I came up with after all the feedback! Thanks again everyone!
January 30, 2013 at 2:27PM     
PRO
Sherri Fitzgerald - Ultimate Decor
Wow!!! As an interior decorator I am impressed!!! You will love your new kitchen! Happy renovating!!!!
January 30, 2013 at 2:52PM   
smfmom
Wow. I really like your plan. It looks great. Best of luck with your remodel.
January 30, 2013 at 3:24PM   
onthefence
What an incredible improvement! You've got a dining area, a lot more workspace and better flow. Well done!
January 30, 2013 at 3:46PM   
onthefence
One last thought - it looks from the photo like your cabinets are pretty good quality and in good condition. If that's the case, you may want to try to remove them in tact and sell on craigstlist or somewhere. Good slab door cabinets are not inexpensive and you may find someone looking for something to augment their current kitchen.

Of course, the camera/monitor may be showing them in better light than they truly are.
January 30, 2013 at 4:24PM   
brittiep
I think it's just the picture. They're quite hideous! Basically wood boxes thrown together hung on a wall.
January 30, 2013 at 4:27PM   
onthefence
LOL - I must have a fun house monitor!
January 30, 2013 at 4:58PM   
kathy
Hi - I love looking at other people's kitchen designs - gives me hope for when/if I ever get to do mine!

I really like the layout you've come up with - lots of work space, storage, a cozy dining area and living room - what more could you want!

On a minor note for your kitchen, I can't tell from your layout, but if you can keep the dishwasher to the left of the sink - I prefer not to have to stand in front of a hot running dishwasher when I'm cooking - sink and oven are hot enough!
And then, only if there is room - just the smallest cabinet to the right of the stove - especially if you're right-handed to put down the stirring spoon, etc.

You've done a wonderful job planning your kitchen - can't wait to see the finished product!
January 30, 2013 at 5:44PM     
kathy
Oh - and make sure there is room to swing open the door of your refrigerator! If it's set back into the nook created by entrance from mudroom(?) and it's tight to the wall, you'll never open the door enough to remove shelves/bins to clean.
January 30, 2013 at 5:47PM     
brittiep
So smart thanks!
January 30, 2013 at 6:43PM   
PRO
olliewooten
ypu aw the christmas tre right put dining i that area
January 31, 2013 at 5:39PM   
fairyk
brittiep I was about to give you some suggestions when i saw your situation and kitchen pictures, but when i saw all discussions and even your pictures of renovating kitchen then i must say that you have done a great job yeah i agree that old kitchen model is too narrow and give us a feeling of very scattered kitchen,but now new designs are very impressive ,go for it and please show us when you have done your kitchen,good luck
February 1, 2013 at 1:10AM     
woodlabmaine
Totally off topic - my apologies... BrittieP, is this kitchen located in the Bay Area / Berkeley ? Just curious...
February 1, 2013 at 2:07AM   
brittiep
Nope! Manitoba, Canada!
February 1, 2013 at 4:26AM   
L
brittiep, I agree with the comment above about the stove not being tight to the wall. It will create a problem with larger pots if you don't have at least a small counter / space between the stove and wall (handles are always in the way, wall is always splashed and larger pots can surpass the width of the stove itself making it awkward or hazardous to use them on the wall side of the stove). Your new layout is definitely a big improvement on the old. You might consider a microwave / hood in order to save counter space and still have a microwave and hood fan. Another thought......does the space allow for the countertop on the cupboards between the dining area and kitchen to be extra deep in order to double as an eating counter (breakfast nook with the stools tucked right under the overhang in order to not take up precious space at the dining table)? It's incredibly handy when you don't ALWAYS have to go around to the dining table to clean up......think easy clean up after a quick breakfast or snack for the kids. I'm speaking from experience.....
February 1, 2013 at 3:02PM     
PRO
Eagledzines
You should have 12" between the range and a combustible surface. If you can't, plan on tile against the wall. It's also best to have 9"-12" between the range and wall as a landing to put things (spoons, spices etc--especially if you're right handed, you will appreciate this).
Here is another idea to gain some cabinet space over the bar eating area. It's glass on both sides to allow light to flow from one room to the other. There are doors on each side. So after the dishes are cleaned, they go in on the kitchen side and then taken out on the other side for use. You could use clear or seeded glass. The cabinet is hung from bars from the ceiling and is open above.
Your cabinets look like Mahogany to me. I think you could sell them for a good price.
February 1, 2013 at 5:26PM     
L
eagledzines, yes, that's what I thought too about the wood of her cabinets. Some beautiful furniture / cabinets could be made from them if that's what they are.
February 2, 2013 at 7:24AM   
PRO
Linda
From the pictures you have posted, the cabinets look like a usable slab door which might be quite appealing to someone else. Although we can't see condition issues and construction quality, from first glance they might well be able to sell them...at a minimum, get someone else in to do the demo and removal at no cost to you.

When you work with a very small house, you need to work twice as hard at the design because you don't have enough physical room to change much once you've started. A couple of inches may not be much in most kitchens, but when your space is tight, you have to be very careful about clearances, doorways, trim dimensions etc.

The good side of a small kitchen is that you can afford more expensive materials since your usage is limited. You can possibly get display units or remnants at a large discount, if they fit your space. Small granite countertops are available quite cheap- $12/sq ft in my area up to 25 sq ft using stone left over from other projects.

Don't be tied into the "standard" dimensions for a kitchen. I have cut cabinets down when the space was too shallow and pulled them away from the wall for deeper counters also. Most people use about 16" of countertop depth, so deeper countertop with an appliance garage can give you storage and usable work space.
February 2, 2013 at 8:56AM     
onthefence
Ditto on the cabinet quality. I thought they looked like well built solid slab doors as well.
February 2, 2013 at 11:56AM